Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 17:15   #3316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
I understand that in the mornings, the engine oil drains to the sump and needs time to get heated and circulated for the engine to be lubricated and thus the clatter sound would go away. However, this is my third Innova, this time BS6 and earlier BS4. None of my earlier Innova Crystas had this problem of diesel engine clatter sound.
Even in our BS6 Crysta the engine clatter is mad when engine is cold started. BS6 crysta has higher injection pressure and a different configuration of injection during cold engine operation. This sort of creates a lot of clatter when the engine is on load in lower gears. In my car engaging Drive with AC creates a lot of clatter. It reduces after the engine warms up.

Using XtraGreen has somewhat reduced this problem at cold and has completely smoothened the engine operation at warm temperatures. That is essentially because XG has a higher cetane number and is easily combustible. Thats why the clatter is less. It is pretty noticeable even by my dad and hence we have decided to stick to XG as far as feasible. Hence you might feel this coming from a BS4 Crysta earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Whenever you are standing in traffic and the compressor starts and stops when the car is at idle, there is a strange vibration which creeps in from the floor to the seat. It goes away as the compressor stops and there is no vibration when the compressor starts or stops when the car is in motion.
First question is when you are standing in traffic do you keep the car in D and sit on the brake? If so then the vibrations might happen since the engine is already under load and the compressor increases engine RPM slightly. However I havent observed any vibrations in my car creeping into the cabin even though the AC compressor increases clatter from the engine. The inside of the cabin is really smooth and refined with no vibrations whatsoever.

Last edited by audioholic : 11th October 2022 at 17:18.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 17:36   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirleo View Post
Same here. This is normal and will be there in any car, and definitely in big SUVs like Innova as the A/c is quite powerful and will be a heavy duty one.
Strange. I mean, in my 14 year old swift diesel too this does not happen.

Quote:
hello tbhp, I have taken a new Diesel Innova Crysta GX Manual. Just crossing 50KM. When I start the engine, in the morning after overnight rest, I find that there is a considerable engine clatter sound, like "a firing machine gun" and when I raise, it subsides a bit. When I continue to drive, changing gear from 1 to 2, the clatter starts again and silences, when the engine is raised above 1500 rpm or so. The clatter reappears when the car slows down to, let us say, cross a speed breaker, or make a turn, and resume journey. This clatter sound occurs intermittently for another 2-5 minutes drive, and reduces when the engine is heated to some extent. After some 2-3 km of journey, there is no such clatter sound.

I understand that in the mornings, the engine oil drains to the sump and needs time to get heated and circulated for the engine to be lubricated and thus the clatter sound would go away. However, this is my third Innova, this time BS6 and earlier BS4. None of my earlier Innova Crystas had this problem of diesel engine clatter sound.

The sound is prominent and appears such a way, that this sound cannot be ignored as a simple issue of cold engine and missing engine oil lubrication.
I consulted briefly with the dealer service center and they said not to worry and gave the standard explanation but upon insisting that this experience is new for a person who has owned Innovas previously, I was told to leave the vehile overnight so that they can check cold start the next day. Since I couldnt afford to leave the car, I have told them I would come back.

Meanwhile, any clues or ideas on this problem, appreciate your help.
I face this too, settles down after a few minutes of use. Happens in my swift diesel too when its cold, so I am kind of used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

First question is when you are standing in traffic do you keep the car in D and sit on the brake? If so then the vibrations might happen since the engine is already under load and the compressor increases engine RPM slightly. However I havent observed any vibrations in my car creeping into the cabin even though the AC compressor increases clatter from the engine. The inside of the cabin is really smooth and refined with no vibrations whatsoever.
I tried this in N as well as D mode. In both the modes its there. Its almost like a massage chair going on and off along with the floor vibration.

There was a brand new Crysta there, that had exactly the same vibration as mine when the compressor came on. I find this so strange.

Which year model is yours?
Old 11th October 2022, 18:01   #3318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried this in N as well as D mode. In both the modes its there. Its almost like a massage chair going on and off along with the floor vibration.

There was a brand new Crysta there, that had exactly the same vibration as mine when the compressor came on. I find this so strange.

Which year model is yours?
Mine is from 2020 and from the first batch of BS6 cars. To put in simple words, the only vibration I have ever experienced within the cabin of the Innova is slightly at the footwell on the dead pedal when DPF regen is going on and I am crawling in traffic. Apart from that, the car is so well insulated there is no other vibration felt anywhere else, and I cant even relate something to a massage chair.
Old 11th October 2022, 18:32   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
I had given my car for the first service. its a 2022 GX Diesel Auto.

Whenever you are standing in traffic and the compressor starts and stops when the car is at idle, there is a strange vibration which creeps in from the floor to the seat. It goes away as the compressor stops and there is no vibration when the compressor starts or stops when the car is in motion.

The car has run 902 kilometers.

I sat in another Crysta which had done 36 kilometers and it was a GX Auto too, same observation as mine.

Other Crysta owners can comment?
I can confirm that this does happen when the car is in idle and the AC compressor kicks in. This was also present on the BS4 Innova Crysta. (At least on my car).
Old 11th October 2022, 18:37   #3320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Mine is from 2020 and from the first batch of BS6 cars. To put in simple words, the only vibration I have ever experienced within the cabin of the Innova is slightly at the footwell on the dead pedal when DPF regen is going on and I am crawling in traffic. Apart from that, the car is so well insulated there is no other vibration felt anywhere else, and I cant even relate something to a massage chair.
I have the same observation on my Jun '22 model. The engine makes a racket for a few min after cold start but after that, NVH is very, very smooth. And inside the cabin, negligible.
Old 13th October 2022, 17:26   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) How to fill air in the stepney?
4) When all the doors are locked,.. is that normal?
You cannot check or fill air in stepney without lowering stepney. This is very bothersome in first generation Innova where there is a lot in bumper via which the stepney has to be lowered and then the air pressure checked. Usually I dont do it for two months at a go.

You can open driver's door by just pulling the door handle, and it will unlock. This was there in first generation too. However, there is slightly different feel, when you have your door locked and open it without first unlocking the door. This is because the door lock is opened.

In my City, even in all doors are locked, if I pull the driver's door handle, all doors are unlocked. Innova only opens driver's door.

IIRC, in my Swift, I had to manually unlock the driver door before pulling door handle to open the door. I find the system in Innova to be very practical and that of my City as very impractical as all doors get unlocked even if driver's door is opened.
Old 14th October 2022, 09:18   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Things I don't understand and need help with.
2) How to fill air in the stepney? Does the wheel need to be removed to do that? The guy I regularly fill air at did not know how to do it and we went for the roadtrip without checking the air in the stepney
2) There are four possible options:

a) Partially lower the stepney (make sure valve is towards rear bumper side when stepney is mounted) and fill air.

b) Flip mount the tyre so the valve faces down. No problem doing this except be careful when lowering the tyre and place some rag or something on the ground whenever removing/remounting the spare so that the alloy does not scratch.

c) Use a valve stem extender for the spare tyre and bring it under (stepney mounted normal) so that air can be checked. Remove the extender when stepney is put into service.

Eg; https://www.amazon.in/Flexible-Valve.../dp/B08XW72ZP4

d) Or use a portable air compressor and use that to check & fill air in the stepney before its put into service.

Quote:
3) Its a little hard push to put it in P while parking, is that normal?

4) When all the doors are locked, the drivers door too moves towards the lock position but when I pull the lever, the lock position becomes unlock and the door just opens, is that normal?

5) I have rear parking sensors which come standard with the GX trim, but I have never seen them buzzing ever. Is there something I need to do to activate them?
3) If P is applied before handbrake vehicle moves couple of inches forward/backward when taking foot off the brake engaging the P pawl and holding the vehicle. Now when the handbrake is applied the weight is already on P pawl. So next time when the shifter has to be moved out of P there will be a bit of resistance as P pawl is on duty holding the weight. So like others have mentioned, don't let P pawl to take the weight of the vehicle holding it, apply hand brake to hold the vehicle and then put it into P.

4) Thats how it is and is extremely convenient, I prefer other doors not unlocking when opening or unlocking driver door.

5) There's a switch to turn the parking sensors ON/OFF. See the picture below copied from the first page of this thread
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-toyotainnovacrysta20.jpg
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 09:53   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello tbhp, I have taken a new Diesel Innova Crysta GX Manual. Just crossing 50KM. When I start the engine, in the morning after overnight rest, I find that there is a considerable engine clatter sound, like "a firing machine gun" and when I raise, it subsides a bit. When I continue to drive, changing gear from 1 to 2, the clatter starts again and silences, when the engine is raised above 1500 rpm or so.
Get the pilot injection learning quantity done from the dealer or someone with techstream or take it for a long (highway) drive where the ECU can learn and store this value. Works either way. This is not uncommon in D4D world.

Last edited by Sankar : 14th October 2022 at 10:01.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 18:48   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Get the pilot injection learning quantity done from the dealer or someone with techstream or take it for a long (highway) drive where the ECU can learn and store this value. Works either way. This is not uncommon in D4D world.
Hello Shankar
I have read your article / post on this pilot injection learning process but I did not believe this is the exact same problem that is occuring to my new car as well. Nevertheless I had your post in mind and that is why I mentioned the sound to be "sounding" like firing a machine gun, referring to the similar term that you had mentioned in your post.

Thank you.

Yes first choice would be "take it for a long (highway) drive where the ECU can learn and store this value".
Old 24th October 2022, 10:19   #3325
Distinguished - BHPian

The battery has created a mess in my Crysta. I am not sure how but the battery seems to be overflowing lot of acid and this has caused a huge amount of corrosion on and around the battery carrier plate. My dad had reported this issue to Nandi Toyota and the SA just cleaned the top of the battery and charged him 500 for a spray for electrical terminals. Such incompetent morons.

Took the matter to my own hands, removed the battery, cleaned around the area, removed all the rust and gave a generous spray of anti rust coaring.

Before:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3383.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3387.jpg

After:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3395.jpg

Quote:
Hello Shankar
I have read your article / post on this pilot injection learning process but I did not believe this is the exact same problem that is occuring to my new car as well. Nevertheless I had your post in mind and that is why I mentioned the sound to be "sounding" like firing a machine gun, referring to the similar term that you had mentioned in your post.
Coincidentally, after removing the battery overnight and connecting it, the cold start clatter has reduced by a great margin and also a rattling noise I would get from the injectors when the engine was cold. This was the case also with XtraGreen but now the cold start isnt as harsh as before.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 11:34   #3326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Strange. I mean, in my 14 year old swift diesel too this does not happen.

I face this too, settles down after a few minutes of use. Happens in my swift diesel too when its cold, so I am kind of used to it.
Very apparent in my petrol 2018 Swift, no sign of it in a 2018 Tucson AWD, feeble signs of it in the 2015 Scorpio 4WD, mild in '21 Fortuner Sigma 4. '15 Fortuner 4X4, no signs, same for the Pajero SFX as well as a '20 Q5 diesel.

I have always observed, this compressor kicking is less evident in bigger engines. (All observed when vehicles are at standstill, not necessarily while cold starting).
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 11:40   #3327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have always observed, this compressor kicking is less evident in bigger engines. (All observed when vehicles are at standstill, not necessarily while cold starting).
It is supposed to be that way, but my experience is the opposite. In my erstwhile Swift and current Hyundai Xcent, I can not feel this compressor kicking it at all. But in all the big diesels that I have owned - Cruze, Hexa, and Fortuner, this is very evident, with the Fortuner being the mildest, but certainly higher than Swift and Xcent.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 18:50   #3328
BHPian

The roof mounted 3-point seatbelts for the middle passengers of the 2nd and 3rd rows do not self retract in my dad’s 2021 Innova Crysta 2.4 GX MT.
One has to manually push them all the way in.

Is it the same with other Crystas or does ours have a defect?
Old 26th October 2022, 18:55   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
The roof mounted 3-point seatbelts for the middle passengers of the 2nd and 3rd rows do not self retract in my dad’s 2021 Innova Crysta 2.4 GX MT.
One has to manually push them all the way in.

Is it the same with other Crystas or does ours have a defect?
It does retract but at a slower pace . You should get checked this with dealer.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 20:51   #3330
BHPian

Had a strange experience on my Crysta 2.4 GX MT with ODO 12300km. Since the last tank fill drove 400km on highway and latest 200km on city traffic (40km office-home commute/day with avg. 50kmph speed for 15km distance and rest of it on slow speed). DPF was not fired during the last 200km city traffic. When checked last night, DPF icon at 2nd bar and today evening, it suddenly jumped to 9th bar with MID warning indication "Reduced engine power, visit dealer", "Check engine, visit dealer", refer below pic. Took it to ASC and OBD diagnosed it as DPF clogging and cleaned (Cost: INR 617). Help needed from the community:
  1. Why did the DPF jumped from 2nd to 9th without progressive increase?
  2. According to ASC if repeated again, they will share the diagnostic data to Toyota and replace injector/sensor/DPF filter as advised by their R&D. There is a catch - if it happens to visit another dealer on the 2nd instance, then the 1st diagnostic data wont be available to them to forward it to Toyota R&D. Doesn't this look very silly?
  3. Has anyone experienced such DPF jump?
Check engine MID:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-check-engine-visit-dealer.jpg

DPF showing 9th icon:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-dpf-9th-icon.jpg
Innysta is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks