Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2023, 11:53   #3496
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Something does not add up. It should be the opposite to what you are saying. Lugging isn't good and should lead to increased fuel consumption.

Its hard to say whats going on in your case. You should observe what the gearbox does under different drive modes. I know the Innova has an Eco, Normal (or nothing selected) and Power Modes. I have not used Power Mode. I found Eco mode quite annoying. Normal mode was just right and the gearbox shift points were perfect in 'D' selector on the gearbox.
Can you please explain why lugging won't be good? I mean it's not as much as a manual but it tries to keep the car in the highest possible gear at a given speed which leads to decreased fuel consumption. That is what I was trying to explain...
Old 16th April 2023, 20:37   #3497
Senior - BHPian

I have a question which I recently noticed in my Crysta

Since summers have set in, I can hear the Fan and whooshing a lot more, but its only sometimes.

Like when we were going to Nasik, on the ghats, when the revs of the engine increased, it was like a thunderstorm type of noise coming from the bonnet which increased with rpm, i had never heard that before. When the straits came, at the same engine rpm, it felt like before without the thunderstorm noise at the same rpm that the noise was coming before.

The fan in the innova is the old school one which is connected to the engine, not able to understand the coming and going of noise?
Old 17th April 2023, 11:26   #3498
BHPian

Got my 20k service done and the service bill came as Rs. 9651 @ Lanson Chennai. Right from my initial days, have the left pulling issue. Got Wheel Balancing (WB) and Alignment (WA) done during 10k service which lasted only for 200km and then started pulling on left. The rate increased as the Odo crosses 2000km since service. Variation is higher in Camber and Toe (refer below images).

Things to check:
  • After WB and WA, feel the steering slightly harder now. To the contrary, i feel the steering becomes lighter as the left pulling issue starts to appear
  • What will be effect if WB and WA is not done
  • The service center neither provide wheel balancing and alignment reports nor attach it to the service notes. Is it the same across other dealerships?
  • What's Toyota's recommended schedule for WB and WA?
  • The service time is less than 30min where only routine job is done (oil filter change, oil change, lights/wiper check, applying grease to door/differentials, Topup steering/brake fluid). Don't they need to check engine belt, firing and core engine area?
  • Any dealership allow customers in workshop bay while vehicle is being serviced?

Below are the alignment readings Before WA:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-before_wa_20k-km-service.jpg

Below are the alignment readings After WA:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-after_wa_20k-km-service.jpg
Old 17th April 2023, 14:53   #3499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Car View Post
Can you please explain why lugging won't be good? I mean it's not as much as a manual but it tries to keep the car in the highest possible gear at a given speed which leads to decreased fuel consumption. That is what I was trying to explain...
Lugging is basically operating the engine at a speed that isn't optimal. You're basically putting a load on the engine that isn't ideal. It won't cause any harm, however, it will lead to more soot being generated. In older diesel cars, you'd get a lot of smoke coming out when you are in the wrong gear and once you step on the gas without down shifting. Some unburnt fuel too. In the case of Automatics, if you feather the gas pedal, the gearbox should select the most optimum gear for the given condition, however, you can replicate a situation of 'lugging' quite easily. The car will pull away with a struggle.

Modern common rail or direct injection turbo diesels like your Innova will basically end up sending a lot of soot down the EGR circuit when you lug the engine. Trust me, you don't want to choke your EGR system due to bad driving. Step on the gas a little more which will force the torque convertor to drop a ratio or two and bring the engine back up to optimum speed.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 12:30   #3500
BHPian

Hi, I have recently faced a Bulge issue in the front tyre (Driver’s Side) of my Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX AT. There is a minor bending of alloy also. Can’t seem to understand why it happened. I have always maintained 33 psi tire pressure as recommended by Toyota. The car is just 8 months old (2022 model) and has run only 4700 Km. The Toyota dealership told me that they will make a report and send it to Bridgestone. They have rejected the claim and now they have told that we’ll have to get a new tyre by paying full price. Really can’t seem to understand what is going on. They are saying that the car might’ve hit a pothole. But the first reason to invest 31 Lakhs OTR on an Innova was piece of mind and fuss-free ownership due to its utilitarian nature and BoF chassis!
Old 27th April 2023, 17:24   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I have recently faced a Bulge issue in the front tyre (Driver’s Side) of my Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX AT. There is a minor bending of alloy also.

They are saying that the car might’ve hit a pothole. But the first reason to invest 31 Lakhs OTR on an Innova was piece of mind and fuss-free ownership due to its utilitarian nature and BoF chassis!
Sorry to hear about this. But this does seem to be have been caused owing to driving and road conditions unless you can prove the original tyre had a manufacturing defect.

Per my knowledge this is not OEM territory rather Insurance territory and that too if you have tyre and alloy protect, more over tyre coverage has lot of clauses including size of cut, etc to justify a payment as I have learnt over years and without that claims will be rejected. If you have Toyota Protect with Tyre and Alloy cover you dump it on them, asking either to settle Warranty route or Insurance route its up to them.

You purchased a brand known for its reliability under regular and stretch conditions and I still believe its right. But its not a GOD vehicle and will respond in same way like every other vehicle when it comes to such situations. May be as a replacement you should get tyres of thicker side walls to be given you a little more protection against such damages.

You might want to check if there is any merit in negotiating with dealer and asking for goodwill route. Otherwise going for cost split can be another option if they agree.
Old 27th April 2023, 19:00   #3502

Hi,

With summers setting in I am looking to check if anyone has recommendations for window curtains/ sunshades for the Crysta and where they procured the same (images/ links would be great). I don't wish to use the magnet based ones as they end up chipping paint.

Regards
Old 27th April 2023, 20:09   #3503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I have recently faced a Bulge issue in the front tyre (Driver’s Side) of my Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX AT. There is a minor bending of alloy also. Can’t seem to understand why it happened. I have always maintained 33 psi tire pressure as recommended by Toyota.
The problems with 17 inch 55 profile tires and alloys is a well documented problem for the Innova crysta. Check my old post (Degrading quality of Toyota Customer Support & Nandi Toyota, Kudlu Gate dealership) on this. It's a pity that Toyota choose this size for a ladder on frame MPV which is meant to be driven carefree!

TLDR: After 2 alloys and 1 tyre premature replacements in 83500 kms of driving, I gave up on this and changed all my alloy wheels to 16 inch with 205/65 R16 tyres ( Continental UC6 )

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20230427_194423.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20230427_194355.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20230426_210050.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20230426_2100152.jpg

Last edited by amalji : 27th April 2023 at 20:32.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 20:27   #3504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innysta View Post
[*]Any dealership allow customers in workshop bay while vehicle is being serviced?[/list]
Below are the alignment readings Before WA:
Attachment 2441196

Below are the alignment readings After WA:
Attachment 2441197
The Crysta is very sensitive to wheel alignment especially if the adjustment bolts for camber and caster are not torqued properly and if you go over bad roads often. In my car during the time when Bangalore roads were full of potholes and uneven patchwork, the alignment would go bad in less than 5k kms. But now with some improvements and vastly relaid roads, the deviation every 5k is very minimal.

Generally Toyota service IMO is highly organised and as any Japanese company is highly disciplined. During the service of your car at least 2-4 persons would be working on it simultaneously with one person handling each side wheels and two more in the engine bay. During my last service which was an EMS60 service, it was a sight to watch how well these guys would go about their work in a systematic manner. However, in the best interest of everyone, I was watching this action sitting in the customer lounge which was incidentally right next to the service bay, though separated by a full height glass. So I was literally sitting next to my car being serviced whereas I was not in the service area. So please choose a service center that has such a layout where you can get a good view of your car while it is being serviced even though you might not be literally next to it.

Quote:
Hi, I have recently faced a Bulge issue in the front tyre (Driver’s Side) of my Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX AT. There is a minor bending of alloy also. Can’t seem to understand why it happened. I have always maintained 33 psi tire pressure as recommended by Toyota. The car is just 8 months old (2022 model) and has run only 4700 Km. The Toyota dealership told me that they will make a report and send it to Bridgestone. They have rejected the claim and now they have told that we’ll have to get a new tyre by paying full price. Really can’t seem to understand what is going on. They are saying that the car might’ve hit a pothole. But the first reason to invest 31 Lakhs OTR on an Innova was piece of mind and fuss-free ownership due to its utilitarian nature and BoF chassis!
This is a known issue with the car but to be honest, I have hit potholes hard and in the last 30k kms only one rim is very slightly run off. No issue with tyre bulge and stuff. Perhaps your tyre was underinflated or it was a really sharp pothole that you hit at a high speed if the damage has reached the rim. Its a problem with not only the Crysta but any other car with tyre profile below 60. Either the rim takes the hit or the tyre bulges.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 21:01   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The problems with 17 inch 55 profile tires and alloys is a well documented problem for the Innova crysta. Check my old post (Degrading quality of Toyota Customer Support & Nandi Toyota, Kudlu Gate dealership) on this. It's a pity that Toyota choose this size for a ladder on frame MPV which is meant to be driven carefree!

TLDR: After 2 alloys and 1 tyre premature replacements in 83500 kms of driving, I gave up on this and changed all my alloy wheels to 16 inch with 205/65 R16 tyres ( Continental UC6 )
Got your point! But can’t we just upgrade to 17 inch tyre with higher profile like 60?
Old 27th April 2023, 21:36   #3506
Senior - BHPian

A quick question. I have a 1600 km trip planned to Nathdwara which my mom wanted to visit since very long. My car is at 8900 and will cross 10500-600 km by the time we are back

The car will be up for a service at 10 thousand km and I will shoot the kilometers by 500-600 km, will this void my warranty and cause some problems in the future?
Old 27th April 2023, 21:39   #3507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got your point! But can’t we just upgrade to 17 inch tyre with higher profile like 60?
215/60 R17 is ofcourse a good option too. Maybe, wait till your tyres wears out and then go for it. In my case, I didn't want to take any more risk since I was done dealing with this mess. More than the money, it's about the hassle it brings in during a journey. I was split between the two choices ( 215/60 R17 vs 205/65 R16 ) and choose the safest option and also considered the comfort aspect as well.

Be aware that a higher profile tyre ( both 215/60 R17 and 205/65 R16 ) could increase the rolling resistance of the tyres and hence could negatively impact the fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
A quick question. I have a 1600 km trip planned to Nathdwara which my mom wanted to visit since very long. My car is at 8900 and will cross 10500-600 km by the time we are back

The car will be up for a service at 10 thousand km and I will shoot the kilometers by 500-600 km, will this void my warranty and cause some problems in the future?
It shouldn't void the warranty. But, to be on the safer side, shoot an email to the dealership and get a confirmation in written as well. How I handle similar situation is that I plan the service while in transit. Just book an EM60 appointment in a Toyota dealership on the way. They will finish the service in around 90 minutes while you take a break at the service center.

Last edited by amalji : 27th April 2023 at 21:45.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 01:54   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

No, it will not, but as a precaution keep this informed to the CS point of contact at the service center possibly in writing over email or whatsApp. Your future visit will be Fuss Free.
Old 6th May 2023, 09:51   #3509
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Almost bought a 7 Year Old Crysta

Some of you may know that I already have a booking of a Scorpio N Z8L AT 4WD. While the delivery is really really far away and pricey (will be 28.8L on road with the current price), I still haven't given up on other options, yet.

Sometime back, we took a test drive of a Z8L G AT (can you believe that? AT in Lucknow? Impossible, right?). Right across the road was the Toyota showroom with a Fortuner having a used car cone on top.
Now Scorpio N might be a new and fancy piece, but I still feel like Fortuner is just a bit better, despite it's age. Also, my heart seems to bend towards higher displacement.
Couldn't catch that one but went again yesterday and test drove something that was not in my original list:

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5430.jpeg

There she was, like it's just been days or weeks since delivery.

Let me tell you a little about this one:
2016 2.8L Z AT with 187000 km on the odo at 15.30L
Interiors refurbished and suspension work done by Toyota

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5432.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5433.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5434.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5435.jpeg

By and large, the interior was in a really good shape, sans a broken frame on an AC vent.
We went over all kinds of roads and not a single squeak or rattle, impressive for a vehicle that has run nearly 2L kms. But again, that's something expected of a Crysta/Fortuner

Now, here's a summary:
1) 2.8L IS GREAT! Mods weren't joking when they said ECO mode is more than enough for the city.
Gets really loud above 2000rpm and that's something I really appreciate. It sounds lovely.

2) Handling is good for a heavy ladder frame. Also, why do people keep complaining about the steering being heavy?
It is not. Just has the right amount of heft and is sufficiently precise. I have weak arms.
All kinds of speedhumps, potholes and craters felt really soft and muted. This is first class ride quality.

3) NVH is really good. Shut the door and the world is gone. Can only hear the engine and that pathetic horn.

4) Presence. You creep up to a smaller vehicle really fast and then slow down. You flash your headlights and sound that iconic and pathetic Crysta/Fortuner horn which makes a miserable "PREEN" sound.
Two wheelers, sedans and hatches get out of the way. Add chicken curtains and an India flag on the dash and you are set. Cops usually don't bother if you are driving normally. Driving it felt special.

5) I drove like a madman and it returned 12.6 kmpl.

6) Slammed the throttle halfway though a U-turn. Tyres squealed, rear slid a little, TRC light blinked, countersteered back into line. Dad and salesman were like
This is not something every car would do and it made me fall in love again.

7) Brakes are quite good for something this big, heavy and having drums at the rear. It would probably stop way faster than my Vento.

8) The low beam is beautiful. Especially the chromatic aberration near the cut off.

Here's the suboptimal list:
1) Front parking sensors. A car this big needs them. They fixed that in BS6.

2) I cannot see the bonnet.

3) This was a fantastic deal but still overpriced. Sometimes I think of buying it right now for 15.30L and then sell it 3 years later for 18.80L. Might even pull that off considering the Toyota situation.

4) AA/Carplay. We got aftermarket solutions for that and the same goes for a 360 camera setup.

You know what? There's isn't much to complain about, at all. One of the best points was that at max seat height, the steering didn't crush my belly or legs like it did on the Scorpio-N. This could become a major deciding factor.
The Crysta is so damn good that I am willing to forego 4WD/4X4. But with that said, I don't think I will miss an opportunity if a 4WD AT Fortuner falls in my lap.

Here's some more:

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5429.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5431.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5437.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_5436.jpeg

Last edited by graaja : 6th May 2023 at 17:18. Reason: Changed the post title as requested.
vredesbyrd is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 11:01   #3510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
7 Year Old Crysta Review

Let me tell you a little about this one:
2016 2.8L Z AT with 187000 km on the odo at 15.30L
Interiors refurbished and suspension work done by Toyota
Congratulations on your new machine! This could well be the highest run Innova Crysta on team-bhp.

Can you figure out if the transmission fluid of your crysta was ever changed? If it's changed, can you find at what odo reading it was changed?
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks