Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 11:13   #541
BHPian

I was driving my Crysta 2.8 Z last evening and suddenly after going through a small pothole , the left rear wheel burst. I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company. Apparently a lot of customers have complained of the same problem.
Has anyone heard the same or faced the same problem? Not even 2000 kms on the ODO and this problem. Unable to digest that this can happen with a Toyota.
Ifs it's a recall why is not Toyota officially recalling ? Why wait for the user's complaint and then act ? Probably toyota doesn't want to have any blot on Innova's reliability and image.
pratiksinhal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 11:33   #542
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Has anyone heard the same or faced the same problem? Not even 2000 kms on the ODO and this problem.
I don't think you are alone, have a look at

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3983975

Spec sheet on their web still shows 17 Inches, can they not instead change the profile of tires on existing rims? Do check newer cars before shifting to lower size.

If they indeed change rims to lower size it will be a large re-call as Z variant is probably highest selling.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screen-shot-20161031-11.44.04-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st October 2016 at 11:49.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 11:40   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
I was driving my Crysta 2.8 Z last evening and suddenly after going through a small pothole , the left rear wheel burst. I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company. Apparently a lot of customers have complained of the same problem.
Has anyone heard the same or faced the same problem? Not even 2000 kms on the ODO and this problem. Unable to digest that this can happen with a Toyota.
Ifs it's a recall why is not Toyota officially recalling ? Why wait for the user's complaint and then act ? Probably toyota doesn't want to have any blot on Innova's reliability and image.
This happened with me too but I am running on 16" tyres. The ODO on my car back then was 2.6k KMS and hardly a month old. In my case both the left side tyres have burst. It's not even a deep pothole and a very common one on Blore roads. I was told that the side tyre wall took a hit at the edge of the alloy and eventually led to this. Was never convinced of it, but went ahead with the replacement of both the tyres and brushed it away as a one off incident. You can check my previous posts on this thread about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

I did quote this incident to the Service Head at the Toyota dealer. He said that's a different incident altogether unlike mine, where the tyres got into the potholes.

Last edited by samabhi : 31st October 2016 at 11:45.
samabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 11:52   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

That is an eye opener and looks like a design disaster.

Did a quick comparo with the XUV5OO, which is 40 kilos heavier than the Crysta.

XUV tyre size --> 235/65R 17 108V, which gives it a sidewall thickness of 6"
Crysta tyre size --> 215/55 R17, which gives a sidewall thickness of 4.7"

No doubt each time the Crysta hits pothole, chances of sidewall getting pinched between the road and the alloy wheel are pretty high; resulting in so many cases of tyre bursts. I believe this would be the first time Toyota might have gone for form over functionality. To enhance the sporty look they have given sleek tyres, but that mars the basic purpose of the MUV. MUVs are meant to carry passengers full house on good or bad terrain, they should be abuse friendly, has Toyota lost the plot?

On a side note my TUVs tyre size is 215/75 R15, which gives a sidewall thickness of 6.3" and it weighs almost 230 kilos lesser than the Crysta. No doubt I enjoy going over the small potholes or small bumps at full speed without worrying much about the impact on tyres.
AutoIndian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 12:58   #545
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company.
Happy to hear this. 16" tyres with a taller sidewall will definitely handle bad roads better than 17s. You'll benefit from superior ride quality too. As mentioned in my review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While the 17" size looks really neat, personally, I'd prefer 15 or 16 inch wheels on an MPV. Reason = taller sidewall = superior ride quality + wheel is less prone to damage on broken roads. Even with the Innova Crysta, the lower variant should be riding noticeably better than the top-end, thanks to an enhanced sidewall height of 15 mm.
Big 17" rims with lower profile tyres is just bad news for a people mover, no matter how luxurious its positioning is.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 13:30   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Happy to hear this. 16" tyres with a taller sidewall will definitely handle bad roads better than 17s. You'll benefit from superior ride quality too. As mentioned in my review:

Big 17" rims with lower profile tyres is just bad news for a people mover, no matter how luxurious its positioning is.

In order to make it look like an MPV, the wheel wells aren't accommodative enough for a bigger dia wheel.

The following dialogues must have taken place during designing-

Designer- Look sir, here is the wheel arch design.

Boss- Stupid fellow, this is an MPV and should look like one, we have already made this car too much SUVish. Keep it practical just like any MUV.

Designer- Here it is sir, but aren't the small wheels will look odd on this big vehicle.

Boss- Let us make the rims bigger and side walls slimmer.

Engineer- But boss..

Boss- Shut up! and do as I say. Never forget this is an MPV.

So they made the wheel arches less accommodative and there is hardly any room to play with. Only option is to stick with puny rims!
sudeep.pandya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 13:44   #547
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Sankar, have you checked the vehicle braking under high speeds after the rotors are changed? Also have you taken any pictures of the old rotors?

I haven't tested at high speeds, but checked at 80 - 100 KMPH speeds, there is no steering vibration now.
Hi Greg, I have not done any long drives after rotors were changed. So can't say but looking at how nice these new rotors are I am sure the vibes will be gone. I will let you know after a long drive. At 80 to 100 there were no vibes even with the old rotors.

Old rotors. Surface uneven.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20160915_181539.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20160915_181449.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20160915_181606.jpg

New rotors. Finger crossed so that it doesn't warp
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20161029_123043.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20161029_123047.jpg

Quote:
Not at all surprised, low profile is bad news for bad roads, especially for a MPV. I upsized the tyre of my GX Auto from 205/65/16 to 215/65/16 with slightly more sidewall to tackle the bad roads here. Overall variance is 1.9% and the tyre doesn't foul anywhere.

Upsize from 215/55/17 to 225/55/17 it will put a bit more rubber between the alloy edge and the tarmac and the overall diameter variance will be just 1.5%. The 17" wheels look good on the Crysta try to retain it.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st October 2016 at 13:56.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 13:54   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Old rotors. Surface uneven.

Is that how it came off the production line? Looks like it never saw the machining shop or should I quote it as filthy job? .

Last edited by Vignesh_N/A : 31st October 2016 at 13:56.
Old 31st October 2016, 13:58   #549
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post

Is that how it came off the production line? Looks like it never saw the machining shop or should I quote it as filthy job? .
No that's how it looks after rotor skimming and usage. It was smooth when i took delivery of the new vehicle thus the crossed fingers again.
Old 31st October 2016, 14:48   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No that's how it looks after rotor skimming and usage
So what happens to existing Discs? Any chances of these damaging new rotors or did they changed complete set?
Old 31st October 2016, 14:54   #551
BANNED

Quote:
So what happens to existing Discs? Any chances of these damaging new rotors or did they changed complete set?
Existing pads you mean? I asked them not to reuse it and asked put new pads. I paid for new pads. I would have liked if they changed the pads also under warranty.

Rotors were taken back by Toyota.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st October 2016 at 14:57.
Old 31st October 2016, 15:00   #552
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Existing pads you mean?
Yes, it's good you got the complete set, perhaps can keep the old one's for use at later date.
Old 31st October 2016, 15:11   #553
Senior - BHPian

Shocked -to say the least- on reading about the issues with Crysta!
Didn't expect this from Toyota. And the issues are not specific to India manufactured cars.
Old 31st October 2016, 16:26   #554
BANNED

Quote:
I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company.
If you decide to go ahead with the swap just make sure its Toyota doing the swap and not the dealer who want to help a fellow customer upgrade his G or V spec 16" wheel to 17" inch

Confirm the news of the swap with Toyota.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 17:03   #555
BHPian

What would happen if we were to change the tire profile to 235/65/17" ? I know it is >10% difference, will have drop in fuel efficiency. But would it affect the mechanical like suspension? Warranty support?

Most Viewed