Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 20:31   #556
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratiksinhal View Post
I was driving my Crysta 2.8 Z last evening and suddenly after going through a small pothole , the left rear wheel burst. I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company. Apparently a lot of customers have complained of the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Happy to hear this. 16" tyres with a taller sidewall will definitely handle bad roads better than 17s. You'll benefit from superior ride quality too. As mentioned in my review:

Big 17" rims with lower profile tyres is just bad news for a people mover, no matter how luxurious its positioning is.

This is useful to know. I am just wondering if the Innova is having issues on 17" vs. 16", whether the top of line Hexa with 19" wheel is going to create an even bigger issue.

I am surprised these issues are not anticipated by manufacturers considering the several thousand miles of testing they undergo before product finalisation and launch.
Old 1st November 2016, 00:28   #557
BHPian

I am a little confused whether to let toyota change my complete set to 16 inches or ask them to change the tyres with better sidewall.
Suggestions would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If you decide to go ahead with the swap just make sure its Toyota doing the swap and not the dealer who want to help a fellow customer upgrade his G or V spec 16" wheel to 17" inch

Confirm the news of the swap with Toyota.

Thanks. Will surely email Toyota regarding the same and confirm. The dealer shouldn't do something like this as he a very good family friend of ours.
But, would surely want to double check with Toyota.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd November 2016 at 13:31. Reason: B2B posts merged.
pratiksinhal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:15   #558
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

New issue to report on my Crysta AT. The PRND lights on the dashboard does not work neither does the reverse lights. When the transmission is put into R there is a slight delay in engagement and it engages roughly with a jerk. Otherwise there is no other issue in D mode and while driving.

I did a google search on this issue. This is reported on many old Toyotas with auto transmission and the problem (in those vehicles) is due to a faulty Neutral/Transmission range switch which sits outside the transmission housing.

Toyota anti-fanboys will now take this up from this moment onwards Can't fault them as this is not expected of a new vehicle. I am now waiting at the Toyota service centre since morning. They are checking. On the bright side this did not strand me.

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd November 2016 at 12:36.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:27   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't fault them as this is not expected of a new vehicle. I am now waiting at the Toyota service centre since morning. They are checking.

On the bright side this did not strand me.
Very True. Having experienced (and continuing to..) the build quality and reliability of the previous gen Innova, these last few pages on this thread have been akin to the proverbial - somebody just pulled the rug under my feet.

No trusting Toyota anymore. Basically no manufacturer left on the table you can trust.

Last edited by rrsteer : 3rd November 2016 at 12:29.
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:23   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving my Crysta 2.8 Z last evening and suddenly after going through a small pothole , the left rear wheel burst. I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company. Apparently a lot of customers have complained of the same problem.
Has anyone heard the same or faced the same problem? Not even 2000 kms on the ODO and this problem. Unable to digest that this can happen with a Toyota.
Ifs it's a recall why is not Toyota officially recalling ? Why wait for the user's complaint and then act ? Probably toyota doesn't want to have any blot on Innova's reliability and image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
This happened with me too but I am running on 16" tyres. The ODO on my car back then was 2.6k KMS and hardly a month old. In my case both the left side tyres have burst. It's not even a deep pothole and a very common one on Blore roads. I was told that the side tyre wall took a hit at the edge of the alloy and eventually led to this. Was never convinced of it, but went ahead with the replacement of both the tyres and brushed it away as a one off incident. You can check my previous posts on this thread about the same.

I did quote this incident to the Service Head at the Toyota dealer. He said that's a different incident altogether unlike mine, where the tyres got into the potholes.
Could you all mention the brand of tyres used as well ? I'm curious about this because I have horrible sidewall experience with Goodyear brand.

Good year - 2 out of 5 tyres lost with sidewall crack @ 15k kms, 1 out of 5 tyres lost with sidewall crack @ 20k kms. The last 2 tyres, I sold it for 2nd hand price at 15k kms, and replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza ER300. So, I'm not sure whether they completed its life or not.
With Bridgestones ( Turanza ER300 ), only 1 out of 6 tyres used faced this, that too after 30,000 kms of usage.
With Michelins XM2s, never faced these cracks yet.

And yes, I too have a lower profile tyre on the VD variant of the Etios, even though the load is not as heavy as the Innova.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd November 2016 at 14:52. Reason: Updating about the last 2 bridgestones. Thanks :)
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:30   #561
Senior - BHPian

I guess it's now expected that all new vehicles that are launched will have some niggles and gone are those days when Toyota or a Honda car, meant an absolutely problem free car from day 1 of its launch. So it's not a good idea to be an early adopter of any newly launched vehicle today. I am a potential Crystal buyer next year and hopefully these niggles will be sorted out by then. But I guess the earlier Toyotas always came to India after they were already launched in other markets before they came to India that ironed out most flaws.
SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:48   #562
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to Toyota service and they told me that they have been advised by Toyota to change the 17inch wheels on the Z trims with 16 inches and which will be done as a replacement by the company. Apparently a lot of customers have complained of the same problem.
Quite surprising that this serious issue made it through the hundreds of thousands of kms of road tests that Toyota must have subjected the vehicle to. Its not even hard to replicate, going by the comments of the affected users.
And tyre bursts are really serious. I can only imagine the response on the forum if the same issue had been reported on a competitor's new launch. The vehicle would have been declared "downright unsafe". Toyota's brand image seems to pull it through.
Old 3rd November 2016, 14:31   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did a google search on this issue. This is reported on many old Toyotas with auto transmission and the problem (in those vehicles) is due to a faulty Neutral/Transmission range switch which sits outside the transmission housing.
As I was just leaving the Service Center after booking a slot on Monday for detailed inspection both the CEL and ! lit up on the console. I called CRM and he got the vehicle in for checkup. The light did not pop up earlier so now with the error logged in the ECU they can do the diagnosis. The vehicle is with them now. Preliminary diagnosis based on the error code points to transmission range switch as mentioned in the threads below.

My only relief is that this is a known issue and there is a solution for it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/no-...icator.337838/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/all...ittent.106789/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/no-...to-nss.623938/

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/no-...everse.595038/

https://www.scribd.com/document/18857706/T-SB-0277-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
No trusting Toyota anymore. Basically no manufacturer left on the table you can trust.
If not Toyota i don't know whom to trust, speaking just about me. Hope they can find a solution for this problem.

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd November 2016 at 14:45.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 00:47   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone heard the same or faced the same problem? Not even 2000 kms on the ODO and this problem. Unable to digest that this can happen with a Toyota.
Ifs it's a recall why is not Toyota officially recalling ? Why wait for the user's complaint and then act ? Probably toyota doesn't want to have any blot on Innova's reliability and image.

I am going to clarify that the change in tyre option provided was a suggestion from the service advisor to my driver and not a recall or exchange program from Toyota, Citing the road condition here in Siliguri. Even the local Bridgestone dealership (Rathi Tyre) advised me to go for 16 inches or better set of rubber on the 17 inches 225/50/R17. The Bridgestone dealer also proclaimed that he has changed the tyres of 3 Crysta's.

The dealership has been kind enough to sort out the problems. Because of holidays due to Diwali and Bhai duj I couldn't check regarding the above from the dealership and confirm here. But now I have finally got clarification about the same.
pratiksinhal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 09:44   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the local Bridgestone dealership (Rathi Tyre) advised me to go for 16 inches or better set of rubber on the 17 inches 225/50/R17. The Bridgestone dealer also proclaimed that he has changed the tyres of 3 Crysta's.
225/50/17 has lower sidewall height compared to stock 215/55/17 and is not recommended to fix this problem. You should put 225/55/17 if you want to increase the sidewall height to mitigate this problem.

Quote:
New issue to report on my Crysta AT. The PRND lights on the dashboard does not work neither does the reverse lights. When the transmission is put into R there is a slight delay in engagement and it engages roughly with a jerk. Otherwise there is no other issue in D mode and while driving.
Quote:
If not Toyota i don't know whom to trust, speaking just about me. Hope they can find a solution for this problem.
Fixed! Just got a call from Deepu, SA at Toyota. It was a case of blown fuse.
Something went wrong after the installation of the new stereo i guess? Will get more details after I go and take delivery.

Quote:
Very True. Having experienced (and continuing to..) the build quality and reliability of the previous gen Innova, these last few pages on this thread have been akin to the proverbial - somebody just pulled the rug under my feet
It was user error. I think you can still trust the brand

Last edited by Sankar : 4th November 2016 at 09:53.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 10:55   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Could you all mention the brand of tyres used as well ? I'm curious about this because I have horrible sidewall experience with Goodyear brand.

Good year - 2 out of 5 tyres lost with sidewall crack @ 15k kms, 1 out of 5 tyres lost with sidewall crack @ 20k kms. The last 2 tyres, I sold it for 2nd hand price at 15k kms, and replaced them with Bridgestone Turanza ER300. So, I'm not sure whether they completed its life or not.
With Bridgestones ( Turanza ER300 ), only 1 out of 6 tyres used faced this, that too after 30,000 kms of usage.
With Michelins XM2s, never faced these cracks yet.

And yes, I too have a lower profile tyre on the VD variant of the Etios, even though the load is not as heavy as the Innova.
Its Bridgestone. I think, Crysta has come only with either Bridgestones or Apollos. Havent seen any other brand used on the Crysta. Its the weight of the vehicle and the lower sidewall height that is causing this.

Quote:
Very True. Having experienced (and continuing to..) the build quality and reliability of the previous gen Innova, these last few pages on this thread have been akin to the proverbial - somebody just pulled the rug under my feet.

I agree to an extent. This is my first Toyota vehicle and prior to this I was driving a Hyundai i10, Mahindra e2o. While the e2o had its own share of issues, the i10 ownership experience for 6 years (93k KMS on the ODO when I exchanged it for the Crysta) has been a very pleasant one.

However, apart from the tyre burst incident and the brake vibration issues, I havent faced any other serious problems with the vehicle. The comfort levels in the car are just far too exemplary that they outweigh the cons. I still have few things to be rectified on the car (Steering alignment issue, Intermittent Squeak sound while braking and some strange sound on the right front side while going over bad roads, speed breakers), but they surfaced because of the not so perfect work done at the dealer level.

Quote:
As I was just leaving the Service Center after booking a slot on Monday for detailed inspection both the CEL and ! lit up on the console. I called CRM and he got the vehicle in for checkup. The light did not pop up earlier so now with the error logged in the ECU they can do the diagnosis. The vehicle is with them now. Preliminary diagnosis based on the error code points to transmission range switch as mentioned in the threads below.

My only relief is that this is a known issue and there is a solution for it.

Any update on this Sankar? Is it rectified? I found the gear shift to be not so smooth except for N <==> D. Last week, I parked the vehicle in my garage and wanted to reverse it again immediately. The engine is still running and when I tried to shift to R, it made a violent jerk with a big sound. I turned off the ignition and started it again, engaged Reverse and it was normal. Have been careful ever since to be little more gentle with the gear shifter.

Quote:
The dealership has been kind enough to sort out the problems. .
The dealership experience has been good too for me. They do take the feedback very seriously and act on it, very different from my prior experience with Hyundai/Mahindra dealers.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 09:19   #567
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Not sure if this is the right thread for this query or the ICE one is, but here goes:

I have my iPod connected to the car all the time.

The problem is, whenever I start the car after longish break (5-8 hours), the ICE does not 'see' the iPod for 5-10 minutes. Does not seem to be a charge issue - there is at least 50% charge in the iPod when it does start playing.

Also, it does not play the 'current song' after reviving. Does not matter if you hit pause/play multiple times. If you go forward on the playlist, it plays the next song but if you try to come back to the song that was playing when you last stopped it does not find it.

It is not an iPod issue as the same iPod works just fine on my Duster. And both my iPods have this issue on the Crysta.

Any clues/ opinions on what is happening? How do we fix it?

Methinks that the Crysta needs a minimum of 50% charge in the ipod to recognize it & that is why the charge is 50% when it starts playing.
Old 5th November 2016, 12:47   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
it does not play the 'current song' after reviving.
I have the same issue, in my case its my the iPhone (which is usually charged above 50%). Though it recognizes its presence quickly but it never plays the same song.

Apart from this, consider a scenario, let say your car is 'On' mode and you were listening to the Radio which you just put on mute. You now wish to crank up your car and now, when the radio comes back on, it's not mute anymore. I think it cuts/resets all the electricals during engine start-up or am I doing something wrong?

Also, where is the 2nd USB port located at? 1st one is located at the back of the driver armrest but where is the 2nd one?
Old 5th November 2016, 15:35   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Apart from this, consider a scenario, let say your car is 'On' mode and you were listening to the Radio which you just put on mute. You now wish to crank up your car and now, when the radio comes back on, it's not mute anymore. I think it cuts/resets all the electricals during engine start-up or am I doing something wrong?
This is how it works on mine too. Gave up as a Toyota feature. Very irritating when you are listening to audio books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post

Also, where is the 2nd USB port located at? 1st one is located at the back of the driver armrest but where is the 2nd one?
I connected a 4 port USB hub to the armrest USB. I have a thumb drive on one port & the iPod on another.The ICE now shows usb1 & USB2(iPod), the latter whenever the iPod connects. The thumb drive always shows up as USB1.

AFAIK, there is no other USB port accessible to the user.

Last edited by sridhu : 5th November 2016 at 15:49.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 18:14   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Any update on this Sankar? Is it rectified? I found the gear shift to be not so smooth except for N <==> D. Last week, I parked the vehicle in my garage and wanted to reverse it again immediately. The engine is still running and when I tried to shift to R, it made a violent jerk with a big sound. I turned off the ignition and started it again, engaged Reverse and it was normal. Have been careful ever since to be little more gentle with the gear shifter.
It was fixed Greg but i was not given a proper explanation as to which fuse had blown. I went there yesterday close to noon and the SA had to leave early that day due to personal reasons. I was told over phone that a fuse was blown and was eager to know which one because the day before i took the vehicle in i checked the fuse box behind the left kickpanel and also the main fuse box in engine bay but couldn't find the blown fuse though i inspected all fuses irrespective of what they were for. I was billed for the fuse and also for the harness inspection which was not a big amount and all that is fine but i would have been happier if I was told which fuse was blown.

When you put in reverse and the engagement was harsh with sound was there any delay in engagement of the reverse gear? Please do note if this happens again.

The stick is sometimes hard when moved from P to R I have noticed that this occurs if the vehicle moves slightly after P has been engaged on an incline if the handbrake hasn't been applied fully.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks