Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2017, 10:59   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Exactly, if not done with care, tankful to tankful itself can be flawed, unless you fill from the same pump, same dispenser over a couple of sessions. I don't like to fill to the brim as it is not good for the pressure system in the common rail pump. I am sure global companies like Toyota cannot afford to tarnish their image. Besides if the ECM can control the micro units of diesel injected into the cylinder in each cycle. I am sure that the same ECM can keep an fairly accurate account of deisel consumed by the common rail pump.
ECMs can theoretically get very accurate account of the fuel used. But, manufacturers for some reason doesn't seem to use it always.

Even with auto cut off on the same pump, you can get fairly accurate measures if you do it multiple times. 3 re-fills will give you a fairly accurate idea.

Even if you do on a different pump, you can get values with < 1% error because you are leaving a buffer of 1.5 liters on tank full ( assuming 50 liters per refill x 3 times ) to tank full for that 1% error. In real cases, it will be some where around 0.5 liters which translates to an error of 0.4% which is negligible. I have seen manufacturers being optimistic by 10% compared to the average tank full to tank full method.

PS: Unlike in normal errors, here the error doesn't add up with each fill because capacity remains a constant. for eg:-, if you fill 50 liters and the error band is 0.5 liters. If you fill the 50 liters 50 times, the aggregate's ( 50 x 50 = 2500 liters ) error will still be only 0.5 liters which is negligible which is why tank full to tank full with auto cut off is the most accurate mechanism to measure mileage even if you fill it from different pumps.

Last edited by amalji : 24th October 2017 at 11:17.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 14:43   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
ECMs can theoretically get very accurate account of the fuel used. But, manufacturers for some reason doesn't seem to use it always.

Even with auto cut off on the same pump, you can get fairly accurate measures if you do it multiple times. 3 re-fills will give you a fairly accurate idea.

Even if you do on a different pump, you can get values with < 1% error because you are leaving a buffer of 1.5 liters on tank full ( assuming 50 liters per refill x 3 times ) to tank full for that 1% error. In real cases, it will be some where around 0.5 liters which translates to an error of 0.4% which is negligible. I have seen manufacturers being optimistic by 10% compared to the average tank full to tank full method.

PS: Unlike in normal errors, here the error doesn't add up with each fill because capacity remains a constant. for eg:-, if you fill 50 liters and the error band is 0.5 liters. If you fill the 50 liters 50 times, the aggregate's ( 50 x 50 = 2500 liters ) error will still be only 0.5 liters which is negligible which is why tank full to tank full with auto cut off is the most accurate mechanism to measure mileage even if you fill it from different pumps.
I found the MID in Crysta to be fairly accurate. I have completed 6K so far and every time I do a tankful I reset the MID. Tankful to tankful calculation was almost in sync with MID. The DTE and Fuel gauge on the other hand is not that accurate.
Auto-cutoff is not the right way. In same Bunk depending on the time of the day you fill, the auto cut-off varies.
Old 24th October 2017, 14:57   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Auto-cutoff is not the right way. In same Bunk depending on the time of the day you fill, the auto cut-off varies.
Even if it varies by 0.5 liters because of the auto cut off not working accurately, we are talking about 1% error for a 50 liter refill which translates to 0.1 kmpl for a 10 kmpl vehicle. So, it's still very accurate. That in addition to the fact that auto cut off is much safer than filling it to the brim makes it a good practice to just fill every time till auto cut off and then calculate the mileage.

This also explains why nkrishnap is getting so close values between tank full to tank full and MID average value on his FIAT Linea. I have experienced the same behavior with other FIATs as well whereas with Maruti and Hyundai, it has always been on the optimistic side.

Last edited by amalji : 24th October 2017 at 14:59.
Old 24th October 2017, 15:23   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Even if it varies by 0.5 liters because of the auto cut off not working accurately, we are talking about 1% error for a 50 liter refill which translates to 0.1 kmpl for a 10 kmpl vehicle. So, it's still very accurate. That in addition to the fact that auto cut off is much safer than filling it to the brim makes it a good practice to just fill every time till auto cut off and then calculate the mileage.

This also explains why nkrishnap is getting so close values between tank full to tank full and MID average value on his FIAT Linea. I have experienced the same behavior with other FIATs as well whereas with Maruti and Hyundai, it has always been on the optimistic side.
I am unsure about Maruti and Hyundai, but in many other cars I used in recent times, I found MID to be accurate. During early morning or at night I found that Auto cut-off is accurate but during in many other occasions(mostly during noon) I found the auto-cutoff happens much earlier. I had instances where I could fill 10-12 liters after auto-cutoff and during other times it could take up just a liter or two. Also many a times I have seen the fuel gauge did not move to full after auto cut-off. I know tankful is not safe but to me is the most accurate. I generally measure FE during initial days, and once I understand the pattern, then largely rely on MID. It may not be 100% accurate but gives a fair idea.
Old 24th October 2017, 17:13   #1010
BHPian

The service interval is too bad of the new Crysta.
5k kms will be easily covered in no time and you will end being a permanent visitor to workshop.
Old 25th October 2017, 12:03   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
The service interval is too bad of the new Crysta.
5k kms will be easily covered in no time and you will end being a permanent visitor to workshop.
I checked with service folks when I had taken my car for 5K free service. I was told after 10K free service, it is not mandatory to get the car for service every 5K and would be sufficient if you get the car every 10K. But again this was from one service and not sure if other service center's also suggest the same.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 12:33   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I checked with service folks when I had taken my car for 5K free service. I was told after 10K free service, it is not mandatory to get the car for service every 5K and would be sufficient if you get the car every 10K. But again this was from one service and not sure if other service center's also suggest the same.
The manual is quite clear that the service interval is 5k. So, unless you have it in writing from the Service Centre, your warranty will be voided if you do not get the car to the service centre every 5k for the admittedly useless service.

This matters more if you have paid for the extended warranty, as I have.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 13:15   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Hi Crysta owners, what is the consensus on the quality and niggles of Crysta?
Soon after the launch there were reports and news of niggles by some owners. Is there a general downward trend in terms of vehicle quality or has Toyota improved and the Crysta is now at par with the previous Innova in terms of quality?
Old 26th October 2017, 13:42   #1014
Senior - BHPian

+1 on that. Don't miss the 5000 interval service, it can get the warranty voided unless your dealer makes an exception.

Toyota has two extended warranty plans; one that caters to regular service and another that caters to irregular service. The latter caters to people who wish to skip the 5000K interval in between and do it every 10000KM, this plan costs more. Note that this is only for extended warranty and does not affect standard warranty, so when under standard warranty duration its best to follow the manual.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 17:51   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Crysta owners, what is the consensus on the quality and niggles of Crysta?

Soon after the launch there were reports and news of niggles by some owners. Is there a general downward trend in terms of vehicle quality or has Toyota improved and the Crysta is now at par with the previous Innova in terms of quality?

Our 2.8ZX has been flawless. We took delivery on the car in August and touchwood everything has been fine since. Other than the tires being slightly overinflated at delivery time, there's been no other issues. Similarly on the inside, there's been no rattles or squeaks.

I too had read about those niggles and overall QC however either Toyota rectified them in the newer models or we just got lucky.
CrippledLucifer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 19:13   #1016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Our 2.8ZX has been flawless. We took delivery on the car in August and touchwood everything has been fine since.
didn't you buy the petrol one? from your earlier posts

"We finally picked up our AG Bronze Innova Crysta 2.7ZX today after a long wait today"

Even we bought the petrol and is working fine but I find the exhaust sound to be loud and on the recommendation from fellow member Sankar, have bought a resonator. Need to get it fitted though.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What are your observations on the sound coming from exhausts especially when sitting on rear captain seats?

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th October 2017 at 19:23.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 07:55   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
What are your observations on the sound coming from exhausts especially when sitting on rear captain seats?
Diesel is silent with regard to exhaust noise inside the cabin (only comparing exhaust note across RPM, under most driving conditions petrol is more refined and silent). The petrol had a slight rasp to it when revved higher when I did the test drive I thought it was sporty. Lets hope the aftermarket resonator cuts the rasp and works better than OE one.

OT: Since the 2.7 in the Crysta is basically the same engine used in north american market i guess some of the performance parts available for it should bolt on in the Crysta if anyone is interested. Depending on the complexity etc might need a few modifications.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th October 2017 at 08:06.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 13:41   #1018
BHPian

Hey fellow Crysta owners,

Recently,another strange issue came up in our Crysta.

Whenever we roll the front windows up or down, a creaking noise is heard. The noise seems to be coming from inside the door panel. I had mentioned this issue to the SA at Nandi Toyota, Banaswadi during the 10,000 km service. She says everything is alright. But I'm still not convinced.

Do all of you observe this sound as well?
Old 28th October 2017, 13:49   #1019
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The petrol had a slight rasp to it when revved higher when I did the test drive I thought it was sporty
I recollect CrippledLucifer wanted to buy a Petrol, maybe he has mentioned 2,8 as an error here. Ok, my reference to the cabin being quiet are very different and none of my co-workers feels any sound from the car. I will agree with your observations on the sound being more sportier & not harsh like Diesel. Maybe whatever sound penetrates, it's due to relatively less sound damping inside and perhaps thinner metal sheet and the overall exhaust system.

But after my return from overseas, our new Petrol is now sounding better maybe some carbon deposits in exhausts or whatever but I got a much less irritated day before during a long trip.

Quote:
Whenever we roll the front windows up or down, a creaking noise is heard
Can be due to dust getting on rubbers, they will be able to clean it at time of service.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th October 2017 at 13:50.
Old 29th October 2017, 09:34   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Hey fellow Crysta owners,

Recently,another strange issue came up in our Crysta.

Whenever we roll the front windows up or down, a creaking noise is heard. The noise seems to be coming from inside the door panel. I had mentioned this issue to the SA at Nandi Toyota, Banaswadi during the 10,000 km service. She says everything is alright. But I'm still not convinced.

Do all of you observe this sound as well?
Yup. You are not alone. In my car it comes from the front passenger door. If it's not bothering you much, my suggestion would be to live with it.

Making the Toyota Service Centres guys understand the problem is a waste of time.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th October 2017 at 16:27. Reason: fixed typo
samabhi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed