Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 09:04   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spare is mounted under the vehicle.
Is this how spare wheel was mounted on all test drive cars?
I prefer to mount it other way so that it's easier to fill air and easy to slide wheel removal hook.

Quote:
Attention to detail again = only the driver can pull on this door handle once to unlock & open his door.
This feature was present even in first gen Innova.

Quote:
Seatbelts are adjustable for height.
Single most feature I miss in old Innova.

Quote:
ECU placed way behind (on the top RHS), safe from the elements.
This is what Toyota calls as EDU (Engine Driving Unit or Engine Drive Unit), unit that controls injectors.

Quote:
Things are universally clean, tidy & organised, even in places you wouldn't normally look. This is the front passenger's footwell:

ECU is most likely behind glovebox in cabin compartment like in image above. Left most clamp or clamp next to it would have ECU mounted on it.

33 PSI all-around, except when you are carrying 7:
Glad that pressures get mentioned in PSI figures, mine has only in bar & kPa.
I am sure tyre pressures in manual would be lower than what's mentioned here. Innova crysta owners please confirm this.
Even in older Innova, tyre pressures in owner's manual were lower than tyre pressures mentioned on door.
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 09:42   #107
Senior - BHPian

Did any body check out the bluetooth in the Crysta for phone conversations?

How good is it on the far end? Near End?

I paired my phone & called my daughter while doing the test drive. Neither end was very good. Is this a one-off or what I should expect?

The BT in the Duster is abysmal and a constant bugbear to me.
Old 21st June 2016, 09:58   #108
BHPian

Having used an the previous generation Innova, I can vouch for the fact that the premium is worth the assurance of reliability and low long-term ownership costs.
For me, everything looks good, bar one- the heavy steering. Even in the old Innova, missus found it tiring and cumbersome to drive because of its relatively heavy steering- I was hoping for a well calibrated electric power steering that is "soft" at city speeds. Since both of us drive extensively, this will probably be a deal-breaker.

I am afraid this steering unit will be carried forward to the Fortuner as well, and that takes away the family vote for the Fortuner as well !
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 10:31   #109
BANNED

Quote:
My butt-dyno says 15-18%. Makes quite a difference, especially in the MT.
The way this would work would be that the Max Power (Bhp) would be delivered when the PWR button is pressed.

A manufacturer cannot sell vehicles that dish out more (or less) Bhp than its rated / declared Max Bhp. The PWR mode would be when the max (rated) power is delivered and this would be when 150 Bhp / 176 Bhp is delivered.

The Normal and Eco modes would be about 5-7% decrease at each stage.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 12:55   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Is this how spare wheel was mounted on all test drive cars?
I prefer to mount it other way so that it's easier to fill air and easy to slide wheel removal hook.
I would advise you against mounting it the other way around even if to ease filling air. It is unsafe way. Toyota has designed it this way mounting to keep it firmly safe uptight. You will observe many Toyota Innova/Fortuner owners complaining of this mechanism due to the difficulty to fill air, having to lower spare every time to fill air.

Quote:
This feature was present even in first gen Innova.
I agree quite a few details outlined here in the review were in old Innova too. Unfortunately, there is no extensive review of Innova like this one to the minutest details with snaps. So it is quite logical to have each and every details outlined in this review here for the first time for the benefit of all.

Quote:
Glad that pressures get mentioned in PSI figures, mine has only in bar & kPa.
Are you sure there is no PSI mention in the door tag in your Innova? Mine has.

Last edited by parsh : 21st June 2016 at 12:56.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 18:13   #111
BANNED

D-pillar is modified to give more "visibility" and "airy feeling" to the 3rd row passengers. Also, tried to reduce the height towards the front a bit. A kind of "Qualis"isation. I will prefer such a clean design for this kind of mass-movers.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-156781.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-156781_2.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2016 at 10:24. Reason: Typo
romeomidhun is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 00:08   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
You will observe many Toyota Innova/Fortuner owners complaining of this mechanism due to the difficulty to fill air, having to lower spare every time to fill air.
It's not about difficulty in filling air, it's more about lowering the spare tyre. Those who do tyre rotation themselves would know narrow gap to adjust wheel removal hook. Many a times, due to visibility issues one needs to use 2nd hand to align hook and narrow gap between wheel & body poses a challenge.
Fixing spare wheel/alloy other way doesn't mean it leads to any free movement of wheel. It gets fixed either way.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there is no extensive review of Innova like this one to the minutest details with snaps.
Didn't we have separate thread for 2012 facelift & 2013 facelift?

Quote:
Are you sure there is no PSI mention in the door tag in your Innova? Mine has.
I was wrong, mine doesn't have pressure figures in bar & kPa, but only in kPa.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-innova_tyrepressure-large.jpg

Last edited by sukiwa : 22nd June 2016 at 00:09.
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:01   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
D-pillar is modified to give more "visibility" and "airy feeling" to the 3rd row passengers. Also, tried to reduce the height towards the front a bit. A kind of "Qualis"isation. I will prefer such a clean design for this kind of mass-movers.
Excellent.

The design anyway is not an eye-catcher or something that stands out. But this would have made the third row more pleasant.

Somehow, your rework looks somewhere close to the Merc GL
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

Loved the review! Love the Innova. Astute observation that - that when we request a cab to carry more than 4 passengers, we always request for the Innova. It has become such a long-stay at that point - that it carries people without a hassle. Love Toyota. Dad's first car was a Toyota!

Toyota seems to have put in a big effort in all the little things in this product - surely will sell a LOT!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:38   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Somehow, your rework looks somewhere close to the Merc GL
Thanks to your input, made a "GL"isation here.

Reduced the extra bulk towards the rear bumper to give it a more balanced side view.
(Original image source: CarDekho)
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-toyotainnovacrysta0_2.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-toyotainnovacrysta0_1.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd June 2016 at 15:59.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:24   #116
BHPian

Absolutely drool worthy review of an excellent car. I like the fact that Toyota has not 'Indianised' (read built it to a cost compromising quality/safety).

My only request to Toyota - please do a 7/10th scale Innova at 7/10th the price? At that price point, there is potentially a market 3-4 times larger
prashanthyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:27   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Massive headlamps with LED projectors for the low beam and halogens for high beam
Any idea what type of bulbs are used here? H1 and H7?
Old 25th June 2016, 12:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quick question:

What is the real world mileage that people are seeing for the AT & for the MT? Same as te innova or better?
Old 25th June 2016, 13:55   #119
BHPian

A small query to current owners:

Is there any way to activate speed sensing auto lock (or even any type of auto lock mechanism) on Innova Crysta VX variant. The manual is vague on this aspect and the steps mentioned rendered no help.

Is it that this variant has no possibility of auto-lock? Would be a shame for 20L car not to have this simple and highly important safety feature.
Old 25th June 2016, 15:31   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Just did a test drive of the 2.8 AT ZX. No real surprises since this review is a virtual 360 deg tour but here are some of my observations:
  • Engine feels peppy but to be honest you don't get the feeling of 170 horses under the hood. Bit noisy too when pushed.
  • Auto transmission works fine, the sequential is exactly same as my Vento (up for up shift and down for downshift) and it doesn't feel sluggish
  • Interiors are a few generations ahead of the previous gen Innova and certainly feel worth the money
  • I drove in my neighbourhood and a bit on the highway. Tested it over a little bit of rough road too. 17" shoes aren't unduly bumpy.
  • Driving position is nice, can be adjusted to optimum quite easily (I'm fussy about my seating position being just right). Great visibility aided ably by the quarter glass on A pillars.
  • Flipping rear seats is child's play. Rear seat not for me but the kids and even small built adults won't complain
  • It's a 6 seater at best with the captain seats. Paying the premium for an additional seat feels like a crime!
  • MID is a bit unintuitive compared to my Vento which got it spot on about 6 years ago! The integration with navigation to display next turn on the console is superb though.
I wanted to tick this TD off my list and get down to the serious business of selecting a butch SUV like the new Endeavour as my next vehicle. Never imagined it would actually end up as a serious contender! Toyota never fails to impress with its pre-sales experience: just imagine I contacted DSK Toyota the first time only this morning. Compare this with Ford: I did a walk-in to their Wakad showroom a week ago, family in tow, waited for an hour, had my name and number taken since nobody was available for a consult...and to date nobody's called me back! I called another Ford dealer this morning but the earliest they offered me a TD is Monday which doesn't work for me so I will probably do it only on Saturday next. Pity carmakers don't appreciate that a customer planning on plonking 2-3 million on a car values his time!
Anyway back to the Crysta, the GX is a whopping 6L cheaper and the only real difference is the 4 missing airbags (rest are nice-to-have features). I may go TD the manual as well sometime but after driving an AT it is going to be difficult to go back. Suffice to say I am quite impressed by the car on the whole. Waiting period for the ZX AT is 4-5 months (GX is 3).

Last edited by noopster : 25th June 2016 at 15:33.
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks