Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2018, 13:27   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Setting correct tire pressure is more than running manufacturer recommended tyre pressure (especially if its a Jap). In case of Europeans it doesn't hurt to follow manufacturer recommended tyre pressure and they don't go low like the Japs. Thanks to European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation (ETRTO).
I've used the manufacturer recommended tyre pressure on all the Japs that me and/or my family have owned in the last 30 years ( starting from the first imported M 800 moving on to Maruti Zen, Maruti Esteem, Toyota Etios and Toyota Etios Liva. ) All of these vehicles combined ran close to 4.5 lakhs kms. The only sidewall damage that we have taken as a family in all these years is 3 times ( all of them on the Etios when it hit a significant debris at a significantly high speed. All of them ironically was on the same brand of tyres as well - Goodyears. )

With the Crysta, I've run just 2500 kms and I've already taken the first hit, that too at 30 kmph. Bridgestone Turanzas are normally not known to give away that easily as well. I can over inflate to make up for the design blunder that Toyota made. But, that comes at the cost of ride comfort which is one of the main reasons why someone would prefer an MPV over an SUV in the first place. The 17" 215/55 has already set a low benchmark for ride comfort. Inflating it over 33 psi makes the ride terrible. Every single undulation and patch on the road is felt inside the cabin. This is a design blunder from Toyota and Toyota needs to own it and correct it.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 13:31   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Reason why front tyre went up +5PSI and rear did not is because of more weight on the front wheels.
+1 Hence we can see toyota recommendation 38psi, any thing more would give a very harsh ride. Also in these tire burst cases load acting on a single tire at that instance might have been more (>load rating 94)due to other variables causing damage.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:09   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Alloys are indeed covered under Toyota zero depreciation insurance. If someone told you it's not, they have lied. Your car hitting a stone and the stone damaging the alloys is indeed an accident. If it's not considered an accident, then it means the alloys doesn't have the quality in which case they should replace it using the warranty. Whether it has to be replaced under warranty or insurance, Toyota can decide. But there is no way they can deny both.

The 17" will ofcourse offer better grip, braking and cornering ability along with being more costly. But, it cannot handle typical Indian road conditions. Even from a comfort point of view, it offers inferior ride quality compared to the 16".

Quoting GTO's old post -
I have a single alloy with a minor bend, so i have put it as spare wheel . moreover, it works fine as long as it's in the rear. So i didn't find it worth creating a ruckus, and losing my NCB over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
So, in the end as Ashubrah said, can we fix 225/65 without changing rims? Also, will the dealer take my existing tyres (driven ~100 kilometers on the odo) for a new one?
I have 225 55/R17 101W EL and i am more than satisfied with their performance. (EL means never to worry about tyre burst or bulge)
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_0183.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_0184.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_0182.jpg

The Michelin dealer i got my Shods from had this tyre which i liked the most for my car.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_0186.jpg

but according to him, Toyota is notorious for upsized tyres touching the body. he then told me an incident about a Toyota Fortuner upgraded from
265/65 R17 to 265/70 R17(not sure) and the tyre was scraping on U turns and bumps.
so, on his suggestion i went for 225 55/R17 and i would suggest the same.
makes the car look beefier as well.
Moreover, Toyota might dishonor shocker/suspension related warranty if they notice the tyre have been upsized. I had a word with the Branch Manager of my A.S.S. before going for the upgrade and he gave me a thumbs up saying it wont be a problem while claiming warranty.
Lego28 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 16:58   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With the Crysta, I've run just 2500 kms and I've already taken the first hit, that too at 30 kmph. Bridgestone Turanzas are normally not known to give away that easily as well. I can over inflate to make up for the design blunder that Toyota made. But, that comes at the cost of ride comfort which is one of the main reasons why someone would prefer an MPV over an SUV in the first place. The 17" 215/55 has already set a low benchmark for ride comfort. Inflating it over 33 psi makes the ride terrible. Every single undulation and patch on the road is felt inside the cabin. This is a design blunder from Toyota and Toyota needs to own it and correct it.
The same Bridgestone would have lasted forever inflated to 33psi in a lighter car. Toyota recommended inflation pressure (if its 33PSI) is low for this size and this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
+1 Hence we can see toyota recommendation 38psi, any thing more would give a very harsh ride. Also in these tire burst cases load acting on a single tire at that instance might have been more (>load rating 94)due to other variables causing damage.
Is it 38PSI or 33PSI? If its 38 its right.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th January 2018 at 17:07.
Old 4th January 2018, 17:42   #1265
BHPian

Is it so that no issue is reported yet from the G & V variants with R16 RIMs?
It would be frustrating to be paranoid about tyre cracks while the car is capable for doing high speeds.
ansumaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 17:50   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Somewhat similar issue noticed in X1/X3.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4333136
Low profile tires to blame? Similar scare is being reported by Hexa XT/XTA owners.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 17:51   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego28 View Post
I have a single alloy with a minor bend, so i have put it as spare wheel .
====
I had a word with the Branch Manager of my A.S.S. before going for the upgrade and he gave me a thumbs up saying it wont be a problem while claiming warranty.
Total costs incurred, and your preferred place of change? I am planning to go for a highway run this January, it'll be just sad if i encounter a sour situation.
Old 4th January 2018, 18:08   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Congratulations on your new steed, sir.
Firstly, there was no mention of the Attitude Black colour in the brochure when I was booking mine.
Is this something that’s off the brochure, available only on special order?
Secondly, you’re right about the ride still being bouncy on 33 PSI. I’m planning on going down to 32/31 PSI all around once to see if it makes a difference.

Yes the Attitude Black colour is not offered standard and is made on special order.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 18:49   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
Total costs incurred, and your preferred place of change? I am planning to go for a highway run this January, it'll be just sad if i encounter a sour situation.
I got it changed from "GS Car Studios". Google will help you out with the rest
they have branches in Pitampura and Wazirpur, and my go to shop since 2004.
You can go with any Michelin authorised dealer.
I prefer getting the tyre aligned from A.S.S because they have a raise alignment platform, but balanced from my F.N.G because my A.S.S. puts only outer weight using hammer on the rim, and doesn't use sticker weight on the wall while the F.N.G uses both.
I got 4 tyres changed around 9-10 months ago, for 10400 / tyre, and got 10000 cash for my 4 old Turanzas(12000kms). With complimentary balancing + alignment
15 days ago i purchased 5th tyre and it costed me 11000, so that’s the current going price.
I have been to kasol(in Snow), Dalhousie, Khajjiar, Rishkiesh, Ranthambore, Mount Abu, Udaipur, Chittorgarh, Pushkar, Mussorie and few other places I cannot recollect with these tyres in last 10 months and they have never let me down.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th January 2018 at 08:45. Reason: Removing formatting tags.
Lego28 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 18:17   #1270
Senior - BHPian

The insurance company ( SBI ) questioned Toyota on why the alloys have to replaced for a minor scratches since it doesn't affect the functionality. They called me to inform me about it. I just asked them to do the right thing technically.

Also asked them to install the damaged alloy along with new tyres on the front left and not use it as Stepney so that I can test it in real world driving whether it holds up well.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 18:55   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
The insurance company (SBI) questioned Toyota on why the alloys have to replaced for a minor scratches since it doesn't affect the functionality.
Well, then I suppose the insurance company can totally reject claims for cosmetic damages too, as they don’t affect the functionality of the car either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego28 View Post
I have 225 55/R17 101W EL and i am more than satisfied with their performance.
Since you were running on the stock 215/55 tyres before these, do you seem to find any improvement whatsoever to the ride quality or stability of the car when compared to the former?

Quote:
To get the coordinates from Google maps, first search for the place in Google maps. Then drop a pin near to it on the road. Then click on more info. Just type in these values on the Toyota navigation manually and you should be good to go.
I tried doing this, but Google Maps on iOS doesn’t seem to throw up the coordinates of all the places that one searches for, unless it’s a prime spot in the city.
i.e - in the screenshots below, Google Maps shows the coordinates of Jubilee Park, but doesn’t show anything for Hotel Golden Iris.
Also, I found it more convenient to just punch in a couple of numbers, rather than search for a complete address on the HU.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-9fa6fab61c9e437794f3c0d072061990.png  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-f7485b31d9784c979a275cfd2f95bbf2.png  

Old 5th January 2018, 20:30   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Yes the Attitude Black colour is not offered standard and is made on special order.
I wish we knew this earlier. I just casually enquired about a black colour and the dealership politely declined. If I knew this I would've made sure to get one crysta in black out of the 3 we own( white, bronze, cherry).
Old 5th January 2018, 20:45   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried doing this, but Google Maps on iOS doesn’t seem to throw up the coordinates of all the places that one searches for, unless it’s a prime spot in the city.
i.e - in the screenshots below, Google Maps shows the coordinates of Jubilee Park, but doesn’t show anything for Hotel Golden Iris.
Also, I found it more convenient to just punch in a couple of numbers, rather than search for a complete address on the HU.
You need to drop a pin in the road nearby the hotel and then click on more info.

You can drop a pin by just long clicking on the road nearby.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot_20180105204407.png

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot_20180105204421.png
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 22:25   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terroris View Post
I wish we knew this earlier. I just casually enquired about a black colour and the dealership politely declined. If I knew this I would've made sure to get one crysta in black out of the 3 we own( white, bronze, cherry).
I didn’t ask the dealership at all if the black colour was available on the Innova Crysta, since I’d never seen one on the road, otherwise I’d have gone for the same.
Old 6th January 2018, 00:15   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
I didn’t ask the dealership at all if the black colour was available on the Innova Crysta, since I’d never seen one on the road, otherwise I’d have gone for the same.
I saw one at night. I thought it was black but since the black colour was not listed anywhere and the dealership declined I assumed that it probably was a cherry, which looked black due to low light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks