Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 22:49   #1321
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
But don't worry. Just slot it to P, engage hand brake and wait for 2-3 seconds. The engine will shut off again.
One more tip, did not know of this either. Will try this out too.

Actually have not been able to spend much quality time playing around with the new Touring Sport - as in try out different combinations of features. Your tips certainly are helpful though. The vehicle manual is also pretty detailed and well written. Need to go thru' it to understand other less used features and best practices.

Quote:
It's supposed to last really long even with 30-50 stops a day. Especially coming from Toyota who over engineer for durability, you can be double sure.
Good to know this. The 30-50 stops a day is your interpretation or is this documented somewhere.

On a different topic, where are Innova Crysta engines made these days? Originally I heard they used to be imported (from Japan??) but then in 2016 or so, Toyota had plans to build these locally. So are the new GD-series engines all made in India now or merely assembled. Tried to look at internet articles but no solid updates from TKM yet.

Did the 1st free servicing this weekend for my Touring Sport. The service manager was very helpful & professional. They completed the servicing in time and with good quality. Bill Rs. 0. They explained the entire servicing steps in details. It was mainly checking fluids and checking & tightening (if required) the nuts & bolts of the new vehicle. Overall very satisfied with the service experience from Toyota today.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:37   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Was looking at a Fortuner today and noticed that both Fortuner and Innova Crysta have same ORVM's. However I found the integrated blinkers to be of different type(LED?) in the Fortuner. Does anyone know if just the Indicators be swapped?

I think the Innova's integrated turn signals are also LEDs. I'm not in India now, but I'm 99.9% certain our 2.7ZX is equipped with LEDs in that ORVM housing. How else did you find them to be different?
CrippledLucifer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:22   #1323
Senior - BHPian

One thing i am not comfortable with auto stop start system on any turbo engine is the turbo's oil (and in some cases like GD engine coolant supply) gets cut off. When engine stops so does oil and coolant flow through the turbo. Though newer turbo engines are not-advised* to idle for 30 secs before turning off it is good in practice to do so. The turbo in the GD engine is smaller and spins a lot faster than the old KD engine according to oe data i have gathered on this engine.

*Just coz of emissions and CAFE ratings
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:23   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
One thing i am not comfortable with auto stop start system on any turbo engine is the turbo's oil (and in some cases like GD engine coolant supply) gets cut off. When engine stops so does oil and coolant flow through the turbo. Though newer turbo engines are not-advised* to idle for 30 secs before turning off it is good in practice to do so. The turbo in the GD engine is smaller and spins a lot faster than the old KD engine according to oe data i have gathered on this engine.

*Just coz of emissions and CAFE ratings
Its true, hows toyota going to justify this page from its manual with start stop tech?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-151663979493615386624.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:37   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Its true, hows toyota going to justify this page from its manual with start stop tech?
One of the situations where auto stop start could be bad for the turbo is when you come to a halt in D behind a line of barely moving vehicles at a toll gate after a constant at or above 100KpH cruise.

It does save fuel and improve c.a.f.e ratings.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:55   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Was looking at a Fortuner today and noticed that both Fortuner and Innova Crysta have same ORVM's. However I found the integrated blinkers to be of different type(LED?) in the Fortuner. Does anyone know if just the Indicators be swapped?
I just checked, and the turn indicated on the ORVM is an LED one on the Innova Crysta as well.
From what I can deduce, the only difference in the whole assembly is the chrome cover that’s present on the Innova Crysta & not on the Fortuner.
Apart from that, the mounting panel of the Fortuner has three aerodynamic fins when compared to the single one on the Innova Crysta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
How else did you find them to be different?
+1
Old 24th January 2018, 17:09   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
I think the Innova's integrated turn signals are also LEDs. I'm not in India now, but I'm 99.9% certain our 2.7ZX is equipped with LEDs in that ORVM housing. How else did you find them to be different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I just checked, and the turn indicated on the ORVM is an LED one on the Innova Crysta as well.
From what I can deduce, the only difference in the whole assembly is the chrome cover that’s present on the Innova Crysta & not on the Fortuner.
Apart from that, the mounting panel of the Fortuner has three aerodynamic fins when compared to the single one on the Innova Crysta.
The one in Fortuner appeared more clear than the one in my Crysta, which has a whitish glass. May be time of the day and location. As you guys mentioned both might actually be the same unit.

Last edited by PrideRed : 24th January 2018 at 17:10.
Old 24th January 2018, 19:12   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably to remind the driver - "Hey, the car is not completely switched off. Where are you off to ?"
That could be an explanation, but I don't really get why. As I said, in my car, removing seatbelt does not result in the car starting. Now, if the driver opens his door to leave, system behavior depends on whether the car is in P. If yes, the car just switches off. If not, it starts giving loud beeps and shows a message in MID to move the gear selector to P.

Quote:
Why would it be unsafe.
I was thinking of a scenarios where the driver may have removed the seat belt to reach for something in the glovebox or from behind the front seats or turn around to face the kids etc. The foot could accidentally come off the brake pedal and if the car is on, this can be an issue. This situation is avoided in my car as the car does not start when seatbelt is removed, and because seatbelt is not fastened, it won't restart even if foot comes off the brake (unless the car then starts rolling).
Old 24th January 2018, 21:14   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Good to know this. The 30-50 stops a day is your interpretation or is this documented somewhere.
When the auto start/stop was beginning to be implemented in vehicles, I had a discussion with a person closely connected with one of the brands that implemented it. It was him who told me about the load it can take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
On a different topic, where are Innova Crysta engines made these days? Originally I heard they used to be imported (from Japan??) but then in 2016 or so, Toyota had plans to build these locally. So are the new GD-series engines all made in India now or merely assembled. Tried to look at internet articles but no solid updates from TKM yet.
I guess, they are made in India now. I hope, quality is not compromised. Etios Diesel engines used to be "Made in Japan" and the old Innova Diesels used to be imported as well. Some news articles mentions it as imported from Japan. But, I remember it as being imported from Taiwan or so.

Quote:
One thing i am not comfortable with auto stop start system on any turbo engine is the turbo's oil (and in some cases like GD engine coolant supply) gets cut off. When engine stops so does oil and coolant flow through the turbo.
Good point. Are you sure than even the coolant flow stops ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Quote:
One of the situations where auto stop start could be bad for the turbo is when you come to a halt in D behind a line of barely moving vehicles at a toll gate after a constant at or above 100KpH cruise.
Good points. I'll be taking this up with Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I was thinking of a scenarios where the driver may have removed the seat belt to reach for something in the glovebox or from behind the front seats or turn around to face the kids etc. The foot could accidentally come off the brake pedal and if the car is on, this can be an issue. This situation is avoided in my car as the car does not start when seatbelt is removed, and because seatbelt is not fastened, it won't restart even if foot comes off the brake (unless the car then starts rolling).
If the foot comes off the pedal, regardless of whether the engine is started or not, the vehicle will crawl after starting up. It's the behavior of the driver which is dangerous here not the auto start stop process. If you want to stretch like that, you better not do that in D mode! And in that respect, restarting the engine when unbuckling the seatbelt helps safety because it reminds the driver that the engine is not fully off and not to engage in anything adventurous.

Last edited by amalji : 24th January 2018 at 21:16.
Old 25th January 2018, 07:52   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good point. Are you sure than even the coolant flow stops ?
Unless the touring sport has an additional electric water pump the coolant flow stops. Non auto stop-start models come with only an engine driven water pump.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 08:50   #1331
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
new GD-series engines all made in India now or merely assembled.
I will say assembled as most components are still being sourced from overseas (Thailand). Suppliers, who are vendors overseas to Toyota are gradually shifting production of components locally and it should be a matter of time before most components are produced here.

Quote:
The 30-50 stops a day is your interpretation or is this documented somewhere.
Quote:
When the auto start/stop was beginning to be implemented in vehicles, I had a discussion with a person closely connected with one of the brands that implemented it.
I hope, you mean for Toyota Crysta and not for any other vehicles It's being a while ( 3-4 Years) since this feature started showing up on premium cars in India and must be even before overseas. BMW and now many others have electric parking/ Hold functions, so when you push the brake, the car goes onto Auto Hold function and you can remove your foot from the brake pedal. The car will move ahead when you press the accelerator. Even though this feature is tremendously helpful, AutoStart/ Stop is pretty useless and even on smooth BMW 6 cylinder engines, the first thing I do after start is to switch off this feature. I don't think this is practical in our market given the number of stops we have to make, think a stop-go situation in any city.

Quote:
Etios Diesel engines used to be "Made in Japan" and the old Innova Diesels used to be imported as well. Some news articles mentions it as imported from Japan. But, I remember it as being imported from Taiwan or so.
Etios Diesel and Corolla Diesels share same engine block and most stuff apart from turbo & related components and come from Thailand and so does old Innova Diesels. Petrol Innova Crysta has a completely Imported engine, again from Thailand. I believe Auto Transmission is still imported, coming again from Thailand.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th January 2018 at 08:59.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 12:21   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I hope, you mean for Toyota Crysta and not for any other vehicles It's being a while ( 3-4 Years) since this feature started showing up on premium cars in India and must be even before overseas. BMW and now many others have electric parking/ Hold functions, so when you push the brake, the car goes onto Auto Hold function and you can remove your foot from the brake pedal. The car will move ahead when you press the accelerator.
Didn't really understand your question. I was having a discussion with a non-Toyota engineer. In fact, he used to work with Nissan. The discussion happened even before it got implemented in Crysta in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Even though this feature is tremendously helpful, AutoStart/ Stop is pretty useless and even on smooth BMW 6 cylinder engines, the first thing I do after start is to switch off this feature. I don't think this is practical in our market given the number of stops we have to make, think a stop-go situation in any city.
Auto Start/stop is kind of a controversial feature. I love the way its implemented in the Crysta even in stop/go traffic. I have been using it regularly in Bangalore traffic and I cross silk board more often than not when I drive in Bangalore. Only thing I'm worried right now is its effect on the turbo charged engines. Even though the crysta has a water cooled turbo, I'm still not sure whether the coolant circulation is driven using an electric motor which works independent of the engine. If this is considered in design by Toyota, then it's well and good. Else, I'll have to cheat the start/stop by not pressing the brakes fully for the first few minutes whenever I come to a stop on a toll booth or use N instead of P in such case if I decide to shift away from D after cruising at high speeds. Again, it's a person dependent love or hate feature. I love it and I'm sure some people will hate it as well.

PS: Even on the Etios, I used to switch off whenever possible because I have been in the shoes of a pedestrian many a times and got to know the effect of multiple cars idling in traffic and the kind of pollution and increase in temperature it causes. So, it's kind of a relief for me, when that's taken care of automatically.

Last edited by amalji : 25th January 2018 at 12:37.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:03   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quite by chance ,I came across this video;

The guy basically says the entire auto start/stop feature is implemented to game the mileage numbers in city.

That apart, I personally don't know if the fuel savings in switching off the engine for 180 seconds is greater than the fuel consumed on starts and the wear & tear on battery/ starter etc.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:10   #1334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
That apart, I personally don't know if the fuel savings in switching off the engine for 180 seconds is greater than the fuel consumed on starts and the wear & tear on battery/ starter etc.
I've seen that video.
The fuel consumed in start is very negligible on modern engines ( unlike the old carburetor ones ) which I think he mentions it on the video as well. Even the effect on starter motor life, he mentions it as irrelevant on that video.

I think, it's implemented more for environmental reasons than the cost savings. You do save on the fuel cost. But, that's more of a desirable side effect than the main purpose.

The best thing that I can relate this feature to is the "rule to have diesel generator exhaust at a height so that it doesn't cause harm to the people around". Similarly, on a traffic junction, vehicles idling will cause high levels of pollution to the people who work around that area. Even the fact that the feature gets auto enabled on restart even if you switch it off points to the environmental reasons rather than the cost savings. It's more about social responsibility and environment friendliness rather than cost saving.

Last edited by amalji : 25th January 2018 at 13:16.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 14:05   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Auto stop start does help in saving fuel if that is what the user wants*. It has been tested and proven to work, 5th Gear also did the test on one of their episodes and found the same.

*Probably OK in a lease or rental car where the user does not have to worry about longevity or maintenance.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks