Team-BHP - Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/177320-toyota-innova-crysta-official-review-9.html)

Hi Noopster can you clarify on your point :

"It's a 6 seater at best with the captain seats. Paying the premium for an additional seat feels like a crime!"

I know the ZX is a 7 seater but is there an option to convert the captain seats to bench seats at a additional cost ?

Now with Toyota offering extended warranty upto 7 years, this is definitely becoming a very safe proposition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinu_joseph (Post 4003645)
"It's a 6 seater at best with the captain seats. Paying the premium for an additional seat feels like a crime!"

Noopster may answer the same as per his observation and utility.

Let me put a point on this:
Toyota has been selling rear (3rd) split bench as 3 seater always. Now they even have seatbelt provided for middle occupant which was missing and a 3rd stackable headrest too.

It can be taken either way. It really depends upon people using it and looking for right fit for them / family at all times / while travelling in group.

The 3rd row can really be useful to carry 3 people for sure, unlike any other MUVs / SUVs which claim 3 seater in 3rd row. Given the fitness of people being carried, it can be 2 seater or 3 seater. But it does have the best capability to carry 3 people at 3rd row seat, this is from own experience over the years. All this also while understanding that, with 3rd row up, it also has pretty good boot capacity.

It is definitely much more luxurious space for 3 kids or 3 shorter and fit people.

Quote:

I know the ZX is a 7 seater but is there an option to convert the captain seats to bench seats at a additional cost ?
You won't get 8 seater configuration conversion at dealership for sure anytime publicly.

This is clearly Toyota launch strategy to keep it a 7 seater in top variant exclusively and keeping top variant exclusive.

Primarily, to market top range to exclusive purchasers initially, be it private or commercial. As such, companies can purchase only 7 seaters and if they need for top brass, they will mostly purchase top variants. Similarly, quite a few premium taxi operators buy top variants for similar reasons. Top variants are also their max profit versions.

The same strategy they adopted for earlier Innova Type I (2005) wherein V was available in such 7 seater configuration only. Somewhere in 2006-7, they started making the bench seat configuration available in V version as well. So I guess, they will be out with such configuration in some time once the initial frenzy settles down and they have blazing charts for quite some time.

Quote:

Hi Noopster can you clarify on your point :

I meant the captain seats mean you can only seat 4 full sized people in (considerable) comfort. The backseat is good enough for 3 kids but more than 2 adults will be a tight squeeze. Hence 6. That's one more than a regular car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsh (Post 4003664)
The 3rd row can really be useful to carry 3 people for sure, unlike any other MUVs / SUVs which claim 3 seater in 3rd row......

....it does have the best capability to carry 3 people at 3rd row seat.....

Interesting observation.

Ever spent considerable time riding in a Xylo's last row? It's arguably the closest thing to a 'true' 3-seater-last-row MUV/SUV available in India. 3 adults (regular-sized, not skinny ones) cat fit in without complaint, something even an Innova struggles with.

Source: Extensively used both vehicles as long-distance cabs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4003768)
Interesting observation.

Ever spent considerable time riding in a Xylo's last row? It's arguably the closest thing to a 'true' 3-seater-last-row MUV/SUV available in India. 3 adults (regular-sized, not skinny ones) cat fit in without complaint, something even an Innova struggles with.

Source: Extensively used both vehicles as long-distance cabs.

Sure, Xylo for one, provides space for 3 full adults in 3rd row as per experience of personal belongings of mine and friend's.

So after spending a month with Crysta ZX 2.4 here is my quick report-

1st service has been completed and issues reported are promptly resolved except occasional clatter from engine on which the mechanic said is common with Innova engines including 2.5.

Driving experience-

This is a big car and if you are upgrading from a sedan you will find it cumbersome to drive within city. Highway speed manners are more like bus however it handles the ghat section quite smartly and you can take those sharp turns without worrying much (Esp also corrects you when needed).

If you are a driving enthusiast, stay away! This is an extremely boring car to drive and you literally feel like hiring a chauffeur for your next highway trip (this feeling never came during my trips on Verna and i20)

So if you are a driving enthusiast and if a sedan can fulfil your needs, pick a D segment sedan as it will satisfy you more in terms of driving experience.

Quote:

Nandi has lost it. Should cost less than half of that.
GTO

Where are you seeing 40-50k insurance quotes for the Crysta?

When I enquired at ICICI & Bajaj, when I add zero dep & bumper-bumper, it comes to about 65-72; some were even over 80k

(See attachment)ICICI Premium.pdf

For the benefit of other members, I have attached the PDI checklist I had made for the Duster.

PDI Checklist - Crysta.xls

Thanks GTO and Rehaan for the superb review, the review quality is on par with the vehicle reviewed!

With pricing of Innova surging up, Toyota runs a risk of loosing out on taxi/commercial segment with operators turning to cheaper alternatives (though there are none comparable, price conscious consumers may settle for a compromise)

With regards to the Crysta, 8 seater ZX and disc breaks are definitely missed, looks of the rear side is very plebeian.

The way Toyota has loaded the Crysta with features (to make it contemporary though) its like 2 gen ahead of old Innova and it will be interesting to see what all the new Fortuner will offer. Also considering the price point of Innova Crysta feels like it makes sense for them to introduce a 5 seater mini SUV/MPV.please:

Can a car review get any better? Such a detailed review i had to literally bookmark this thread and continue reading every time i had some time in hand. :Shockked:

Glad to see a feature loaded car from Toyota finally! Its about time manufacturer's here understand the customers do crave for features as well, I can see more and more indian car's getting more feature loaded in the coming years, Glad to see the engine options too. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya (Post 4004052)
Highway speed manners are more like bus ..

If you are a driving enthusiast, stay away!

Accurate observations. The reasons are summed up by GTO:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3998913)
An uneven rut or bump will have the steering wheel moving about. This is now a rare thing by modern car standards and can get annoying on broken roads.

...body roll is noticeably more than in the outgoing Innova... there is more lean than the old car through fast corners. The Innova Crysta didn't feel as 'tight' or 'agile' as the earlier Innova did on the Lonavla ghats.

...there is nose dive from the front of the car, even under medium-level braking

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 4004103)
GTO

Where are you seeing 40-50k insurance quotes for the Crysta?

]

I've paid 44k post hard negotiations for my ZX 2.4. The insurer is New India insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya (Post 4004342)
I've paid 44k post hard negotiations for my ZX 2.4. The insurer is New India insurance.

Thank you, Sudeep.

Does that include the NCB transfer from the old car or is it only the zero Dep, bumper to bumper insurance? What riders do you have & what is your IDV?

If you are in Bangalore can you please send me your agents details?

BTW, I checked with Nandi Toyota. It is/ will be in a short while possible to add an 8 seat option to the ZX. Luckily, I was sitting down when she told me what it will cost. Apparently it will set you back 1.5 - 1.6 Lakhs to add that 8th seat!

Quote:

I don't think it's as simple to add a bench to the ZX as it was in the earlier generation simply because what happens to the middle row seatbelt in that case? As it stands, the middle row seatbelt comes down from the roof and this will require some significant modifications to be done inside the car like opening the whole roof carpet.

Unless Toyota or the dealer can give a bench seat with a lap belt just for the ZX conversions then that's a different story. I still think if the effort for installing the seats is anything besides some mounts, nuts and bolts, it isn't worth the money. One should rather go for the lesser variants where bench is provided from factory or wait it out till Toyota (eventually) launches a bench in the ZX!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 4004362)
BTW, I checked with Nandi Toyota. It is/ will be in a short while possible to add an 8 seat option to the ZX. Luckily, I was sitting down when she told me what it will cost. Apparently it will set you back 1.5 - 1.6 Lakhs to add that 8th seat!

If it costs this much then they'd better provide the seatbelt for the middle passenger from the roof!

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...1,verdict.aspx

Autocar verdict:

"To say the new Innova Crysta is an improvement is putting it mildly.

Toyota has not only enhanced the Innova's core strengths of space, comfort, practicality and quality but has addressed its key weaknesses too. It's no longer underpowered or under-equipped, and it looks very modern too.

However, it's not all perfect. The Crysta is bigger and heavier and not as nimble as the earlier car, putting it at a disadvantage in the city. Refinement levels could have been better and there are some ergonomic issues too. With on-road Mumbai prices starting at Rs 17.33 lakh and rising to a stratospheric Rs 26.11 lakh for the auto ZX, the Crysta begs the question. Is it worth the premium? For the same money, you have more sophisticated sedans and SUVs that are better value.

But if you want a luxury MPV to carry your friends and family around in comfort, there is no better choice. Factor in the Toyota reliability and strong resale value and the asking price seems worth it."

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 4004362)

Looks like I'm missing something here. When we checked the seat options, the 8 seater for GX AT was almost similar price as the 7 one, maybe 2-3K more. How can there be such a huge difference?