Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2018, 21:51   #1351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Upgraded reflector headlight H11 bulbs to Philips H11LED and it looks promising and the cut off mimics halogen. Was planning to put it in fogs if the beam was not good now that it is good I'll see how it is at night. These are halogen replacement LED lights and there is no glare at all. Now have to change the fog lights bulbs also to LED.
Sharing the price will be helpful?
Old 27th January 2018, 22:23   #1352
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It's a good habit IMO. I too always switch off the AC and other accessories before starting AND always press the clutch (gear always in neutral) by force of habit.
Agree, I too follow this best practice. The only thing I have seen people do and this is true also for showroom servicing technicians too, most do not turn off the "AC switch". Instead they choose to put the fan speed to "0" position. When the vehicle is started, they turn it to "1" position or higher, but never switch the AC button "on / off" at any time. Not sure which is a better practice - switching the AC button "on / off" OR keeping the AC switch in "ON" position all the time and merely turning the fan to "0" position when turning off the vehicle or starting the vehicle.

Quote:
The compressor is powered only by the engine off the crankshaft by a belt.
Good to know. However, I am not sure I understand this to the full extent.

Quote:
I haven't come across anybody reporting any detrimental effect except maybe an extra load on the battery and resulting lower battery life over the long term.
Agree, I also said the same in my post. The only thing I keep on is the fan position in "1" while switching on or off, the engine. All other accessories (AC, headlights, wipers, music system etc.) are turned off during start & stop of the engine.
Old 27th January 2018, 22:49   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Instead they choose to put the fan speed to "0" position. When the vehicle is started, they turn it to "1" position or higher, but never switch the AC button "on / off" at any time. Not sure which is a better practice - switching the AC button "on / off" OR keeping the AC switch in "ON" position all the time and merely turning the fan to "0" position when turning off the vehicle or starting the vehicle.
Turning off the blower automatically disconnects the compressor clutch, it is no longer active.

Quote:
Good to know. However, I am not sure I understand this to the full extent.
This may help:

Quote:
Agree, I also said the same in my post. The only thing I keep on is the fan position in "1" while switching on or off, the engine. All other accessories (AC, headlights, wipers, music system etc.) are turned off during start & stop of the engine.
I switch off the blower as well even though the load will be minimal at speed setting '1'
Old 28th January 2018, 01:15   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
This is better than I expected and there is no glare. No one flashed me tonight with my low beams ON. This is the new type Philips LED totally different compared to their previous H11 model, maybe thats why this turned out to be better beam wise.
I don’t know if it’s the exposure, but the picture makes it look like there’s a LOT of light from the low beam. Do you plan on getting these for your high beam as well?
Did you get these from Amazon USA as well, sir?
Also, please let us know whenever you’ve installed the same for your fog lamps, as I’d like to compare the beam pattern & illumination with my Koitos.
Old 28th January 2018, 07:52   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I don’t know if it’s the exposure, but the picture makes it look like there’s a LOT of light from the low beam. Do you plan on getting these for your high beam as well?
Did you get these from Amazon USA as well, sir?
Also, please let us know whenever you’ve installed the same for your fog lamps, as I’d like to compare the beam pattern & illumination with my Koitos.
Its available on amazon india. High beam LED are still no go till i can find a good chinese lamp as philips doesn't make HB3/9005 equivalents yet. So till then highbeams are HIR1 plus a pair of Baja designs 5000K LED lamps hidden behind the grill.

Here is a picture i took earlier yesterday, this is not the wall shot I promised!! You can see both halogen and LED beam. Even in sunlight the LED beam is brighter and not washed out, isn't it?
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180127_181421.jpg
I was worried whether it would be too bluish and it isn't.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 10:10   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Its available on amazon india. High beam LED are still no go till i can find a good chinese lamp as philips doesn't make HB3/9005 equivalents yet. So till then highbeams are HIR1 plus a pair of Baja designs 5000K LED lamps hidden behind the grill.
I too am searching for good LED HB3 bulbs, and I’ll let you know if I find something ASAP.
You never mentioned anything about using Baja Designs, Sankar Sir.
Can we have a picture of the same to see the light output & how you’ve wired it up, please?

Last edited by AShubrah : 28th January 2018 at 10:15.
Old 28th January 2018, 10:38   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
You never mentioned anything about using Baja Designs, Sankar Sir.
Can we have a picture of the same to see the light output & how you’ve wired it up, please?
Before bajadesigns I had (still have not installed) a 20" rigid e2 hyperspot lightbar, it was just too bright for road usage. So i replaced the rigid with smaller bajas and i love these lights. The bajas were mounted high and i have moved them behind the grille now. These are phone cam pics, in real they are a bit different.

Dark
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20171111_193504.jpg
Low beam (H11 alogen)
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20171111_193518.jpg
High beam (Baja+HIR1)
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20171111_193521.jpg
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 21:09   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Now fogs too. Cutoff is almost perfect isn't it? Just like stock, better than stock i think because the beam appears to be wider.

Left stock H16 halogen and right H11 LED.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180128_193819.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180128_193905.jpg
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 08:30   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
I have been given to understand over the years by different auto service technicians & service managers that before turning off any vehicle, switch off the AC. That way the next time one re-starts a vehicle, the AC pump does not immediately turn on - couple of reasons probably:
Quote:
It's a good habit IMO. I too always switch off the AC and other accessories before starting AND always press the clutch (gear always in neutral) by force of habit.
This was the case with the old vehicles. I guess, it's no longer the case with the modern vehicles with automatic climate control where everything is controlled electronically. The car waits for a few seconds after the restart before turning on the compressor. I'll double confirm this with Toyota. But, I can feel that there's indeed a lag.

Quote:
However, it does power the blower which at full blast can draw quite a bit of power. But the battery and charging systems are designed to take this load. Many owners don't even bother to switch off any accessory before starting. I haven't come across anybody reporting any detrimental effect except maybe an extra load on the battery and resulting lower battery life over the long term.
In addition, the auto start/stop takes care of the battery health in such situations. If it detects that too much of battery is getting drained, it even slows down the blower or it can restart the engine as well. It can even shut off the music system if it detects that higher power is consumed by it ( read it as playing music at very high volume ). So, when it takes care of almost everything, I would just leave it to the manufacturer to take the judgement as to what is best for the battery.

The only doubt, I still have in my mind is the health of the turbo. I haven't seen a mention of it anywhere in the auto start/stop section of the user manual.

There are 2 cases that I'm worried about with the turbo.
  • When the engine shuts off with the turbo fan still not coming to a halt, there will be a back pressure on the turbo fan because the engine might not let in more air once it is shut off. Some cars have a system to let off this extra pressure ( like the Skoda/VW's Petrol TSIs ). I'm not sure as to whether the GD engine has something of that sort.
  • The cooling of the turbo once the engine shuts off. The good thing is that the GD engine uses a water cooled turbo which technically can be made to work even with the engine shut down. But, I'm not sure whether it's implemented this way on the Crysta Touring sport with auto start/stop feature.

If the above 2 concerns are not taken care of, whether Toyota has done something in the auto start/stop algorithm to take the turbo's temperature and fan speed into consideration before shutting off the engine. Or atleast a speed based timer like "shutdown only 1 minute after the speed comes down from 80 kmph"

Last edited by amalji : 29th January 2018 at 08:38.
Old 31st January 2018, 11:14   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Got the wheel alignment done at Nippon Tvm, after getting the wheel alignment once at a reputed tyre shop in Cochin and getting it screwed up I now stick to Nippon for wheel alignment. They did it well and its perfect! Also had the lower glovebox changed as I had cut up the old one to install the unichip kit.

PS: Balancing is done at a reputed shop here in tvm on a roadforce machine.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 15:43   #1361
Senior - BHPian

With the new glovebox, a new lock is not provided and if a new lock is ordered it probably might not match the existing key. And so the old lock has to be reused for the new glovebox.

This post is about: - How to remove the glovebox lock cylinder of Innova Crysta.

The glovebox by design has a lock system that is inaccessible from behind as the rear part of the two piece glovebox is joined together by glue/plastic weld. There are no screws to be undone or any clips to be unclipped to get to the lock system. The only option apart from cutting a small hole on top using dremel was to peel off the inner layer of plastic leaving the glove box door and the lock system in place. Normally one shouldn't be changing glovebox unless the original is damaged - intentionally or unintentionally.

Before proceeding unlock the lock. The lock should now be in unlock position, i.e., key slot pointing in 12 - 6 position. Lock position is key slot pointing 9 - 3.

Once the back is peeled off (it will take some strength it looks like plastic weld rather than glue) you can access the lock system from behind as shown in the video. Now the rest is self explanatory as shown in the clip, Push the spring loaded brass coloured clip into the lock cylinder and push the cylinder out. Thats it.

To install the cylinder on a new glovebox just press the brass clip in and push the lock cylinder into the new glovebox from the front, reverse of how it came out. Position of the cylinder while going in should be should be brass clip at 12 O clock position.

Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 18:56   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Completed 10K service today at Nandi Toyota. Noticed an interesting thing, they are offering upgrade option for Innova(not Cyrsta) from type 1 to type 4. This includes, front bumper,headlamps, bonnet changes. They also have some offer running where they will paint the entire car with discounted price(75K for crysta). You can change the color as well.

Service was excellent. They have completed 1 year at Whitefield and are offering 5GM silver coin for every car service. While its a small amount, I liked their gesture and something that I never heard before. They were also kind enough to handover a small toy to my daughter when I went there for 5K service.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:16   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Completed 10K service today at Nandi Toyota. Noticed an interesting thing, they are offering upgrade option for Innova(not Cyrsta) from type 1 to type 4. This includes, front bumper,headlamps, bonnet changes. They also have some offer running where they will paint the entire car with discounted price(75K for crysta). You can change the color as well.
75K for a full colour change is a good price for the Crysta, and at Nandi I would think they will have a top notch paint booth also. Repainting a sedan here costs almost half that much if done from an independent garage.
Old 2nd February 2018, 16:03   #1364
BHPian

Rajpal Toyota Indore has recently fleeced a lot of people. Rakesh rajpal has taken money and not returned it or delivered the cars. Has anybody else here gone through any trouble with them. If yes, then what is to be done to either get the money back or get a car delivered.
Apparently Toyota has suspended the dealership as well.
Old 2nd February 2018, 16:46   #1365
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello fellow bhpians who own the Innova crysta, I am looking for a comfortable, reliable 7 seater with decent interiors, for long term use- 5-8 years , 2 lakh km sort of. I have a few questions to you:

1. Is the crysta as reliable as previous gen Innovas?

2. What is the typical service cost per service?

3. How much FE do you get with the 2.4 on the highways?

4. Is crysta a better car than Hexa?

I am shying away from hexa only because of Tata badge(I own a tata and resale is absurd).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks