Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2018, 10:31   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+1 to this. 14.5 kmpl is very much achievable on the crysta for long drives.
But, please be aware that the MID mileage seems to be on the optimistic side. The error seems to be somewhere around 3.5%. I'm doing multiple iterations of tank full to tank full to validate this. Will post the details here once I'm sure about the error.

This was calculated over 4 tank full to tank full iterations and not using the MID. So if driven carefully the 2.8 auto can provide decent mileage. I have some how sobered down and hardly accelerate hard since the Crysta came home. I love driving it slowly and smoothly and enjoy seeing all the 1.3 and and 1.5s gunning their mills to reach the next signal.

Just remember 1 instance of enthusiastic driving so far on my return from Indore after Igatpuri, where a new Compass was constantly honking and flashing me to move aside even though all adjacent lanes were empty and I was doing a respectable 90-100 on this stretch. So all I had to do is move to power mode and blitz the jeep owner till it was just a speck on the rear view mirror. The Jeep guy did try to catch up with me but somehow just couldn't do it. The in gear acceleration of the 2.8 is just mind blowing. The Jeep guy then automatically sobered down when I slowed down a few kms down the stretch and he finally caught up with me this time he quietly moved to the adjacent lane and overtook me when I was cruising at 80 without a flash or a honk

Last edited by SPARKled : 4th March 2018 at 10:33.
SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 19:37   #1412
BANNED

Went to Coimbatore to measure the output of my tuned Crysta on a dyno. The results are pretty nice I didn't know that I created a beast out of van.

Max power is 214HP and 567NM at the wheels. On medium settings its 185HP and 500NM at the wheels.

Most of you will think; But why, whats the point of this in a Crysta?
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
As per official review " A look at the passenger footwell - narrower than you'd expect in such a large vehicle. Intrusion from the floor hump restricts foot space"
Attachment 1736907
Apart from being narrow from what I can see the legs needs to be offset to the left while sitting?

We were passing through some villages while returning from Tamil Nadu and decided to pick up some vegetables and a watermelon. She kept it there, enough place for that plus legs
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180304_164922.jpg
Sankar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 21:13   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The results are pretty nice I didn't know that I created a beast out of van.
Haha, I believe now you know that it's going to do more in future

Quote:
Max power is 214HP and 567NM at the wheels. On medium settings its 185HP and 500NM at the wheels.
Mental Van . Guess it's the first time on Team BHP I read about any car doing 567 NM at wheels on dyno.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 09:26   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Went to Coimbatore to measure the output of my tuned Crysta on a dyno. The results are pretty nice I didn't know that I created a beast out of van.

Mind blowing results.
Do you mind sharing the torque curve ?
At what rpm did you get the 567 Nm of torque ?
Old 5th March 2018, 09:48   #1415
Senior - BHPian

That is one crazy van Sankar!
So, what went into the van to get those results?
Could you please give us a summary if possible?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 5th March 2018, 11:00   #1416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Mind blowing results.
Do you mind sharing the torque curve ?
At what rpm did you get the 567 Nm of torque ?
567 @ 2500 and even at 4000RPM there is a 100NM advantage over respective stock curve. I will be sharing the torque curve in my blog, it's the log i keep. I had a thread here which was pulled back.

My main intention was to get a baseline done to check the tune and develop further, was not really expecting numbers. Anyway since the baseline is done the tune will be further revised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
That is one crazy van Sankar!
So, what went into the van to get those results?
Could you please give us a summary if possible?
Cheers,
Deepak
Thanks Deepak. Basics is airflow, getting in more air in to burn more fuel. I had a thread here which was supposed to be a work in progress but it was pulled back due to certain restrictions.

Last edited by Sankar : 5th March 2018 at 11:13.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 18:13   #1417
BANNED

Normal ECO & PWR

Got a chance to test the power difference between Normal & PWR modes while on the dyno. The power difference at the wheel is just 5 to 6HP and a negligible amount of torque. This difference is very consistent.

Did not check the difference between Eco and Normal because Eco is a mode i do not use and costs money for the time spent on dyno.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 22:31   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Normal ECO & PWR

Quote:
Got a chance to test the power difference between Normal & PWR modes while on the dyno. The power difference at the wheel is just 5 to 6HP and a negligible amount of torque. This difference is very consistent.
Good information. You have proved it now. Most of the drivers did believe that there is good difference. That is the beauty of throttle response calibration . Easy to fool the driver and make him believe that car is much faster.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 13:41   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did not check the difference between Eco and Normal because Eco is a mode i do not use and costs money for the time spent on dyno.
The difference between Normal and PWR mode looks realistic as difference is not much pronounced even in real world. Difference between Eco and PWR mode should be quite significant including the torque curve.
Old 6th March 2018, 14:46   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The difference between Normal and PWR mode looks realistic as difference is not much pronounced even in real world. Difference between Eco and PWR mode should be quite significant including the torque curve.
I'm not sure about that. I have seen 0-100 kmph comparisons between eco and normal mode and the difference is in the order of 0.0x seconds.

One of the reasons why I love the eco mode is that for normal driving the throttle response is non jerky and very smooth while when I push down the throttle, the car goes mad. So, I get the best of both. Smooth driving when I need it and madness when I need it. So, it again seems to be mostly the throttle response that Toyota has played with even in the eco mode. Power output almost remains the same.

The additional tweaks for eco mode is a less aggressive AC and lesser power assist for steering both of which I prefer.

Last edited by amalji : 6th March 2018 at 14:49.
Old 6th March 2018, 21:07   #1421
BHPian

Am told there is some technical hold from TKM end on billing of Innova and Fortuner. Is anyone aware of the issue and by when the billing and deliveries will start ?
Old 8th March 2018, 00:18   #1422
BHPian

I test drove the innova 2.8Z AT this weekend. While I loved many things about the car, the one that nagged me the most was the fact that I had to push the seat to its farthest edge to get my regular driving position. While it wasnt uncomfortable, I am used to the fact that in my current stead - vento tdi - i get enough play to push the seat further behind from the regular driving position that i use... So I am worried if it has any long term impact. Can 6+ footers share their fair feedback based on their experience please ?
Old 8th March 2018, 01:45   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I test drove the innova 2.8Z AT this weekend. While I loved many things about the car, the one that nagged me the most was the fact that I had to push the seat to its farthest edge to get my regular driving position. While it wasnt uncomfortable, I am used to the fact that in my current stead - vento tdi - i get enough play to push the seat further behind from the regular driving position that i use... So I am worried if it has any long term impact. Can 6+ footers share their fair feedback based on their experience please ?
The Innova Crysta’s seat does have very short travel range for people who’re upwards of 5’9” in height, and even I have to push the seat back completely to sit comfortably.
If you do need more travel, you can try lowering the height of the seat a little, as it allows for the seat to travel a little futher back.

Last edited by AShubrah : 8th March 2018 at 01:55.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:41   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I test drove the innova 2.8Z AT this weekend. While I loved many things about the car, the one that nagged me the most was the fact that I had to push the seat to its farthest edge to get my regular driving position ... So I am worried if it has any long term impact. Can 6+ footers share their fair feedback based on their experience please ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
The Innova Crysta's seat does have very short travel range for people who're upwards of 5'9" in height, and even I have to push the seat back completely to sit comfortably.
If you do need more travel, you can try lowering the height of the seat a little, as it allows for the seat to travel a little futher back.
At 6'1", I push back the seat to the extent I can, I also lower it the extent I can, and I keep the back upright to the extent I can. It is pretty comfortable and I was not at all tired after an 8 hour non stop run (except fuel and loo halts).
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 08:41   #1425
BHPian

I just noticed in my car that there is a crack in the "aluminium" finish plastic just above the AC vent on the driver's side!! This on a less than 2 year old 48k km done Crysta.

So much for Toyota Quality!

Most Viewed