Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2016, 14:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Thanks for the detailed review GTO & Rehaan

The Innova surely is a 'blind buy' not only for new customers but also for repeat customers.

Also hats off to Toyota & their production team that we have already seen so many of them on the road.

Companies like Skoda, Ford should learn from Toyota how production planning is done, the Innova sold 7000+ units in the 1st month IIRC, and here i am still waiting for my Skoda Superb Diesel since February

Last edited by karan561 : 17th June 2016 at 15:21.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 15:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic detailing, GTO & Rehaan. Take a joint bow, you two!

The Innova Crysta improves on the older-gen by most counts, including addressing a big complaint by older owners that the car didn't feel as premium as the price tag it commanded. Interiors have become very plush and upmarket, and even the fleet taxi owners and those going for the 2nd-lowest variants won't be complaining much this time around.

I like the sharp frontal looks of the Crysta. I think it gives a lot of character to the old warrior, unlike the next-gen Fortuner which feels overdone and outlandish from all angles. Great to see the Crysta build on the Innova's strengths, and add plenty more from it's own set of positives. I am especially impressed by the 3rd row seating and comfort, and although the humble Xylo is still better in this regard, the Crysta beats the rest of the competition, even though it's priced more.

That said, there are plenty of glaring omissions for the price it commands (manual day/night IRVM, missing power-folding ORVMs, those super-thin armrests, Altis-like dashboard with that Stone-Age clock display, ultra-cheapo speakers) and they are not acceptable in a 20-lakh car. When Toyota went the upmarket way for the Crysta, they should have gone all the way and not have skimped on these smaller stuff. These may look trivial but are important to the whole user experience in the long run.

I bet the Crysta will be another bestseller in the days to come, just because of the pull "Brand Innova" commands in our market, diesel-bans notwithstanding. With deliveries of the petrol Crysta lined up from August-end onwards, Toyota can re-assert themselves in the Delhi-NCR & Kerala markets, until the NGT sees some sense.

Late to the scene, but this exquisitely detailed review was worth every second of the wait. Rating it a fully-deserved 5-stars!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th June 2016 at 15:46.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 15:28   #18
BHPian

A much awaited review is finally live here. thanks GTO and Rehaan

If only it had come in sometime mid last year, we would have had this one in our garage instead of the outgoing one.

Have seen quite a few on the roads in the last few days. I somehow felt that the previous gen felt a little more decent and composed (if I may say that) than this one in terms of the shape and size. Probably something to do with getting used to like when the qualis was replaced with the innova initially.

Nevertheless, Toyota will again rake in number for the next decade or so with this one. However, saw a couple of Tbhpians talking about opening a niggles thread for the innova. Hopefully Toyota will iron them out soon IMHO

The headlights and interiors are absolutely adorable.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 15:40   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic Review GTO and Rehaan. Absolutely amazing attention to detail. Got tired just reading it.

One thing that is very commendable is that Toyota have not skimped on features or safety with the Innova. They do have a 'This is what we will give, buy if you want' attitude for their products. But they still are top sellers purely based on the quality and reliability USP's. Example is the Altis, which inspite of being the most poorly equipped in the segment, outsells everything else put together.

Glad that they did not do this with the Innova. Quality, Reliability, Features, performance and to top it all the Innova brand. It would have sold at any price. in addition no attempt to create long wait periods or boast about bookings. The first couple of months dealer dispatches indicate that. Typical Toyota efficiency.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 16:24   #20
BHPian

Dear GTO and Rehan,

A well worked on 5 star rated review!
Thank you so much!!

In fact, I am so impressed that, in spite of not having a budget for it, I have booked a test drive online at Pune.
The last time I did that for the Corolla, the dealer had called me 3 months later! I hope history does not repeat.

I have a stupid question: what do you think is the VFM sequence for 6 people carrier among: Innova Crysta, BRV, Scorpio, XUV? If I have missed anything - please feel free to add - this is a sudden question which just came to my mind!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 16:28   #21
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2016 at 15:04.
jvm_1986 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th June 2016, 16:51   #22
BHPian

Fantastic review and well detailed.

As you suggested , even I feel Innova is significantly overpriced. Toyota is charging huge premium as it does not have direct competition for its reliability. In my opinion base version should be priced @ 12 lakhs . With current pricing , I will blindly book Ertiga Zxi and use the price difference to keep filling petrol and never worry about government regulations over diesel ban even though both cars are from different segment. Even difference in the insurance premium should be enough to cover 6000 kms a year . We can squeeze 2 VXI / 2 LDI versions of Ertiga for the base price of Innova

In US market, Toyota Sienna base variant is priced around 18 lakhs which has a 3.6 litre v6 engine with auto transmission and has all safety features

I assume most of Innova's parts are locally sourced . How much profit Toyota must be making on base model ?

Do we have any thread which details launch price vs current price of a particular model ? Should be quite interesting
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 16:51   #23
BHPian

Great review I think the price of Crysta is quite justified for what you get. I will not call it overpriced at all! It's anyone's guess how much such a great package from a German stable would have been priced at And add to this Toyota's bullet-proof reliability, you have a sure-shot winner in hand!
debmum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 17:03   #24
Team-BHP Support

Except for the looks, I like pretty much like everything about the new Innova!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I have a stupid question: what do you think is the VFM sequence for 6 people carrier among: Innova Crysta, BRV, Scorpio, XUV? If I have missed anything - please feel free to add - this is a sudden question which just came to my mind!
If your budget is 9 - 10 Lacs, then Ertiga is the best VFM option.
If your budget is 13 - 14 Lacs, then BRV is the best VFM option.
If your budget is 17 - 18 Lacs, then XUV500 is the best VFM option.
If your budget is 20L+, then Innova is the best VFM option.

Right now, the 7 seater segment is not too crowded - so its an easy "Match The Following" scenario with "Budget" on Table A and "Option" on Table B
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 17:06   #25
BHPian

Thanks for such a detailed review. Read from start till end in one stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

No taxi chap would buy an AT, especially not with that price tag & lower fuel consumption.
You must have meant "lower fuel economy" or "higher fuel consumption" I believe.

Last edited by Zinda : 17th June 2016 at 17:09. Reason: trimmed the quote
Zinda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 17:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear GTO and Rehan,

what do you think is the VFM sequence for 6 people carrier among: Innova Crysta, BRV, Scorpio, XUV? If I have missed anything - please feel free to add - this is a sudden question which just came to my mind!
Every car would have had its own set of +ves and -ves. IMO on VFM basis, I'd rate them as Crysta>XUV>BRV>Scorpio.

Crysta is very good as a people mover because of that perfect suspension tune up by Toyota (even old gen Innova has been a benchmark in this regard).

What XUV has in its ante is the AWD + AT + Monocoque chassis, resulting in car like handling and go anywhere ability combined with decent GC.

Both are very good in their own ways.

Budget wise details given in smartcat's post above, although including Ertiga into this query makes it too wide open.
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 17:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If your budget is 9 - 10 Lacs, then Ertiga is the best VFM option.
=========
Right now, the 7 seater segment is not too crowded - so its an easy "Match The Following" scenario with "Budget" on Table A and "Option" on Table B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Every car would have had its own set of +ves and -ves. IMO on VFM basis, I'd rate them as Crysta>XUV>BRV>Scorpio.
======
Budget wise details given in smartcat's post above, although including Ertiga into this query makes it too wide open.
Dear smartcat and Ace F355,

Thanks for the prompt response. Now you guys got me thinking!
Specially interesting that you did not add any vehicle (other than Ertiga).
Also, would a km/month figure make a difference?

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th June 2016 at 07:20. Reason: Edited quoted posts for better readability
Old 17th June 2016, 17:37   #28
BANNED

Good review.

A very fast commercial vehicle has the potential to turn into a Weapon of Mass Destruction.

Weaving in and out of traffic, very fast driving on highways, potential to lose control because of high speeds (where the driver thinks that going fast is his skill etc). This car in the hands of the regular taxi drivers will wreak havoc on our roads, not so much to the passengers travelling within but to other vehicles.

Even with the current set up, the taxi drivers try hard to wreak havoc but it's the lack of power that keeps them at bay.

I don't think our roads are capable of handling taxis with these speeds just yet.

There should be a speed limiter fixed on taxis that are capable of high speeds or else we could all be in trouble.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 17:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

What XUV has in its ante is the AWD + AT + Monocoque chassis, resulting in car like handling and go anywhere ability combined with decent GC.
I have reasons to doubt XUV's go anywhere credentials. The FWD XUV performed worse that the old Innova in off-roard conditions. Numerous reports on the forum point to the fact the XUV AWD does not perform very well off-road either.
Old 17th June 2016, 17:55   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Team-Bhp reviews always set the benchmark and this one is no exception. A very detailed review.

@GTO : Any idea about the power gain figures when you press PWR button? I wish all manufacturers gave this option. It would be better any day than tuning box/remap.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed