Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 17:19   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
There is a qualis 2001 in my native which is there in the family since new. This is a 10 or 9 seater (front bench, middle bench, rear two sideways facing folding seat) vehicle and its registration was renewed for another 5 years just a couple of months ago after completing 15 years
In that case, this RTO approval will be varying from state to state, I remember we had a 10/9 seater Qualis and had to get this certificate every 2 years probably.

Quote:
This is from the personal experience of a good friend, who has an Innova top variant (previous generation) in 8-seater configuration. He is married and has 2 kids, lives in nuclear family. Both him and his wife have 1 sibling each, and they in turn have 2 kids each. Add parents from both sides, and you rapidly fill up the Innova if the whole family decided to go off on Holiday.
of course, one can always fill as many but the point being if this is comfortable & how many times will this happen? I firmly believe things are changing and most us are now used to better comforts and luxuries than say what used to be 5 or 10 years ago.

Quote:
Actually for my purpose a bench middle seat is better than 2 captain seats, as we are an extended family, and the ladies find it more comfortable to be on a bench seat where they can throw their handbags, the kids stuff, etc., and generally have additional seat space.
Quote:
Exactly the same reason why i also went for 8 seater.
Agreed, if there is a situation where we have 5 adults, no one will like to go into the rear seat and will prefer to sit on the mid-bench. So it appears that more than need of an extra seat, convenience of Rear bench is more functional

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th August 2016 at 17:38.
Old 25th August 2016, 20:56   #347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Agreed, if there is a situation where we have 5 adults, no one will like to go into the rear seat and will prefer to sit on the mid-bench. So it appears that more than need of an extra seat, convenience of Rear bench is more functional
Yes sir! Its true in my case. Also the ability haul luggage/cargo and seat 5.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...823_195412.jpg
Old 27th August 2016, 00:37   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I think in a few months time , you should be able to procure a seat that has height adjust , The auto market in mumbai will start seeing these . You can then buy one and replace you existing .

For teh music system, the toyota dealer might do it , but if they splice wires , your warranty will go for a toss , so you need to get that gray area covered .
The Toyota dealer is charging Rs 29000 for a Sony system with a MRP of 16000. Same is the case with spares the price on the dealer website is fa higher from showroom price.
krishtk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 19:58   #349
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

Did anyone get a petrol Innova in your circle of friends?
Wanted to know how the engine performs.

Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:49   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Automatic constitute for 50% sales of the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
While discussing the company's production plans for the Innova Crysta, N Raja, Senior Vice President & Director Sales & Marketing, Toyota Kirloskar Motor, had earlier said a shift in buyers' preferences is being noticed. He explained, "50% of total Crysta sales are automatic transmission, which speaks a lot about changing customer preference in this segment." In a conversation with Financial Express Mr Raja also stated that over 95 per cent orders for the Innova Crysta buyers have been from private owners instead of fleet/ taxi operators.
The link: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/toyota-inn...demand-1406140

So finally this will make sure that all manufacturers will now start paying equal attention to the AT variants across all segments. Wonderful times ahead.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 13:21   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Is this a RTO requirement or mandate for the state you are registering?

I have an 8 seater and there is no fitment certificate here and the registration for my GX 8 seater is valid till 2031.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrt View Post
Well, as of now the Noida dealers have been insistent that the 8 STR vehicles need a fitment certificate (both for Mahindra and Toyota). Perhaps it is a requirement in Uttar Pradesh?
No Such requirement in Mumbai RTO too. My Innova is 8 seater ( 2010) and registered in my name, just like my City or BRV. There was an issue getting it registered in the Company name, as above 7 seats, it could only be registered as a commercial vehicle with yearly tax payment, yearly fitness passing and route of travel declaration, etc etc. In MH, above 7 seats, the vehicle gets registered as Commercial, if you want to buy it in a company's name. We also have a Tempo Trax ( the long vehicle with 9-10 seats) where we need to provide all details every year, so as to avoid stage carriage of passengers.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 14:24   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
In MH, above 7 seats, the vehicle gets registered as Commercial, if you want to buy it in a company's name.
Dear riteshritesh,

I am buying a 8 seater Scorpio. It will be in my individual name. I hope I don't have to do anything different!

Please guide.

Girish Mahajan
Old 29th August 2016, 14:47   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I am buying a 8 seater Scorpio. It will be in my individual name. I hope I don't have to do anything different!

Please guide.

Girish Mahajan
No Sir. I don't think it will be a problem, lest RTO rules have changed in the last 6 months. The dealer will be able to confirm this for sure.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:06   #354
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I am thinking of replacing the engine oil during the 2nd service itself. The quantity would be 7 litres.

Does anybody have idea what do they factory fill? Mineral or synthetic?

2.4 it is.
Old 29th August 2016, 18:01   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear riteshritesh,

Please guide.

Girish Mahajan
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
No Sir. I don't think it will be a problem, lest RTO rules have changed in the last 6 months. The dealer will be able to confirm this for sure.
Innova and Scorpio or rather any similar MUVs/SUVs can be bought for private ownership in 7/8 seater configurations. However, RTO rules that company lease/ownership or commercial vehicles can only be 7 seater configurations, atleast on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
I am thinking of replacing the engine oil during the 2nd service itself. The quantity would be 7 litres.

Does anybody have idea what do they factory fill? Mineral or synthetic?

2.4 it is.
Guess you are referring to second free 5000 km service. Too early and unnecessary. Do it on 10k service if needed and take a call on the oil to fill then. Toyota will advice for higher cost always (synthetic). However, we have not found much difference in performance with either, I stick to normal one.
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 20:43   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Guess you are referring to second free 5000 km service. Too early and unnecessary. Do it on 10k service if needed and take a call on the oil to fill then. Toyota will advice for higher cost always (synthetic). However, we have not found much difference in performance with either, I stick to normal one.

Yes, the 2nd service. It is universally advisable to change the oil due to friction related residua. I am going for the mineral oil 5w 30 (Idemitsu)

Even I prefer to stick to mineral. Have used Delvac 1 extensively and Delvac MX in my previous rides.
Old 30th August 2016, 16:17   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
My 2.4 returned a mileage of 14.9 km/l (60:40 Highway:City) the calculation was done on tank full method. (ODO- 2400kms)
Also, during highway drives I am reaching the destination 10-15% faster than my Verna. The point is, the engine never feels stressed and reaches silly speeds in no time. Therefore, the overall progress is pretty fast.
I have been getting similar mileage on my Crysta. Its been a run of about 4500Kms out of which 1200 has been on the highway and the rest in Hyderabad City. The Mileage has been hovering between 14kmpl - 14.8kmpl. I have noticed that all my cars give me better mileage in the city than on the highway. Always wondered why this happens. Happy that the Crysta gives me almost identical mileage
Old 31st August 2016, 08:41   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

I'd honestly spend a lot less one an equally reliable brand if I need a people mover. Honestly this is serious overkill for a solitary seth to be driven around.
That is the entire issue. Is there really an equally reliable brand? Let us forget the engine and the class of the vehicle for a moment, a close friend has an Ertiga, and so put off he is with the niggles that he swears he will never buy a Maruti product again. Another friend has a Mobilio, and I have had a few occasions to ride with him. I was absolutely appalled by the ride quality and the flimsiness of the vehicle. In UK where I have driven extensively, even a small Suzuki car (Alto, Wagon R) or a 600 cc car has got a build and ride quality several times better than some of the C class sedans or people movers in India.

But then it is the same story across everything in India. The price which we pay for almost everything we buy, is high vis a vis the quality. In such a scenario, people tend to go for the most worthy product, even while being unhappy with the pricing- they just don't have an option.

Last year a friend sold off his 2005 Innova and categorically said to me he will not buy another Innova as it is insanely priced. I agreed with him wholeheartedly then and Innova was never on my shopping list. And now when the Crysta has been launched and I am in the market for a long distance comfortable commuter, I am just unable to find value in any other product. I have owned a scorpio for 8 years (2005-2013) which clocked close to 3 lacs km, but today the OTR difference between the S6 and Innova GX MT is less than 3 lacs- the reliability factor is worth at least this differential to me. The Scorpio had its fair bit of break downs, and every time I was in my friend's service center, he would always speak of Innova's reliability and comfort over the scorpio (he is an automobile engineer, and has completed almost every certification/training Mahindra has to offer).
rajivrt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 16:13   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Picture of the demo car's dashboard I took today. Also check the stereo player. Its from Motevo and the finish is close to OE. Dealer is quoting 52k including the reverse camera.

I havent decided anything yet on the stereo, as I plan to get both the stereo and reverse camera together. I am looking out for a good reverse camera solution for the GX. Didnt want to fix it on the bumper, but rather have it fixed above the number plate as in the VX/ZX variant.
Hello, I have a couple of questions with regards to the reverse camera.
  • Where does the dealer fit the camera in the 52k option?
  • Have you checked the field of view of that camera? Any pictures? I want one that has a decent field of view.
  • Can we say install the rear chrome ornamet and does it have a slot for the reverse camera?

I also didn't install the reverse camera as I didn't want it to be on the bumper and my accessories guy didn't have one which fits on the number plate lights. The VX and ZX have it near the number plate lights and not on it. Still don't know of a good enough solution for this. Relying simply on parking sensors is slightly dangerous sometimes for me due to only 2 being present.

Congratulations on the car and colour. Nice choice (have the same colour)
Old 31st August 2016, 17:45   #360
BHPian

I experienced a strange issue with my Crysta on two different occasions. When sudden braking at moderate high speeds ( ~ 80KMPH), I heard a strange sound from the driver side brakes. It was as if there are no brake pads present and the metal holding the pads is directly rubbing against the disc. It does slow down the vehicle as expected, but this strange sound got me worried. This is only when I do sudden/panic braking, but otherwise they function normally. Plan to get it checked during the first service. Anyone else has faced this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Hello, I have a couple of questions with regards to the reverse camera.
  • Where does the dealer fit the camera in the 52k option?
  • Have you checked the field of view of that camera? Any pictures? I want one that has a decent field of view.
  • Can we say install the rear chrome ornamet and does it have a slot for the reverse camera?

I also didn't install the reverse camera as I didn't want it to be on the bumper and my accessories guy didn't have one which fits on the number plate lights. The VX and ZX have it near the number plate lights and not on it. Still don't know of a good enough solution for this. Relying simply on parking sensors is slightly dangerous sometimes for me due to only 2 being present.

Congratulations on the car and colour. Nice choice (have the same colour)
Thanks.

The dealer option for 52k still has it on the bumper. They have other options too that can be fixed above the number plate. Cost is 8k. I forgot the make but pretty sure it's a Chinese one. They have it fixed on one Liva and has good view as it has 180° view. I didn't opt for it as the price is too high and not sure about the quality of the camera. Moreover its a direct bolt on from outside and can be easily removed by anyone.

I did check the rear chrome ornament as it was put on display at the accessories bay and I don't remember seeing any slot for the reverse camera. There is a cut that is needed to fix the camera in GX as in VX/ZX. And it nicely hides the camera and protects it from any theft.

Last edited by samabhi : 31st August 2016 at 17:54.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed