Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2016, 19:24   #466
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

The P/N/R/D text marking on automatic is on the right side of the gear lever which is how it should be for a RHD car. I see nothing wrong with the gear lever orientation..
smekad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 07:44   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post

I showed it to the Accessories guy at the Toyota dealer and he said it's a damage due to the hit and cannot be replaced under warranty. Totally disappointed with the quality of this accessory as against how Toyota is marketing it as a tough protector. Remember it's a TGA and I expect some minimum quality to withstand minor impacts. It only looks good when compared to the traditional aluminum ones. 10k price is a total waste for this one. One needs to replace it for every time it takes a hit. The explanation is this is made of ABS material and should break to reduce the impact to the rear bumper. Decided to leave it on for now and replace it with a aluminum òne later.
ABS is not very strong unless it has a mix of glass fiber- not sure what toyota is using. I feel the current design looks good but is less functional, If we really need protection, we may have to look at SS or aluminium ones.

I am searching for one for my innova. Will keep posted if I find something that looks good and also does the job.
smekad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 12:04   #468
BHPian

Test Drove the Automatic version and was quite impressed with the car except that didn't really quite like the seat color and interior which was a bit loud for my choice. Having been driving Altis for over 6 years, seems it will take me sometime before getting used to these interiors.
I am currently in a fix whether to go ZX AT or ZX MT. Having gone through the entire thread and exceptional review by GTO, I have the following question that may help decide the model and timing of purchase
How would the resale value compare after 5-6 years between both MT & AT version? Is it fair to assume that given traffic conditions in Bangalore, resale value of AT could perhaps be on the rise? Since I will be purchasing in Nov,Dec,Jan timeframe, does it make sense to buy in Jan to get 2017 model? Or do we expect to get some discounts if we were to buy it in Dec?
Old 4th October 2016, 12:11   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
Test Drove the Automatic version and was quite impressed with the car except that didn't really quite like the seat color and interior which was a bit loud for my choice. Having been driving Altis for over 6 years, seems it will take me sometime before getting used to these interiors.
I am currently in a fix whether to go ZX AT or ZX MT. Having gone through the entire thread and exceptional review by GTO, I have the following question that may help decide the model and timing of purchase
How would the resale value compare after 5-6 years between both MT & AT version? Is it fair to assume that given traffic conditions in Bangalore, resale value of AT could perhaps be on the rise? Since I will be purchasing in Nov,Dec,Jan timeframe, does it make sense to buy in Jan to get 2017 model? Or do we expect to get some discounts if we were to buy it in Dec?
In fact there is a difference between the Seat Colours of the ZX AT and the ZX MT versions. The ZX MT version has black leather seats while the ZX AT version has the combo of black + Brown Leather seats! Don't know what Toyota is trying to do with this, but choice of AT/ MT should not define whether you get the black or brown seats!
When I visited the Toyota Dealership recently, they were also offering the same Black and Brown leather seats (and leather door inserts) at Rs 55000 as an accessory on any variant (GX and VX). The quality was OE quality similar to the ZX AT variant.
Old 4th October 2016, 12:31   #470
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have the following question that may help decide the model and timing of purchase

How would the resale value compare after 5-6 years between both MT & AT version?
Please don't choose your transmission based on the resale value - select it based on your needs & preferences. You're spending 20+ lakhs on a car. Get the one that'll keep you smiling.

I can understand someone choosing between a car from a successful brand (Toyota Innova) or a flop one (Tata Aria), keeping resale value in mind as the difference there can be enormous (3X sometimes). But transmission or variant - just go with your heart.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 12:59   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Resale value could go either way, but you might need to be a bit patient (and hold prices) when selling your Innova AT. Going by the incredible demand for AT variant, it is likely to be popular even in resale market 5 or 6 years from now.

It will be easier/faster to sell MT variant after 5 or 6 years - because both commercial and private customers would be interested in picking one up.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 13:07   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please don't choose your transmission based on the resale value - select it based on your needs & preferences. You're spending 20+ lakhs on a car. Get the one that'll keep you smiling.

I can understand someone choosing between a car from a successful brand (Toyota Innova) or a flop one (Tata Aria), keeping resale value in mind as the difference there can be enormous (3X sometimes). But transmission or variant - just go with your heart.
Thanks GTO. You pretty much talk like my wife

I agree completely. It's just that I really had a bad experience with one of my earlier cars in resale and hence somehow resale is on top of my mind.
manish123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 11:28   #473

Hi, Can some one who owns an Innova Crysta and has gone in for the first or second service please confirm the maintenance costs so far ?. Recently, a cousin of mine who owns an Innova Crysta Diesel Auto had his car serviced at 10,000 kms. He was in for a shock when the bill came. He was asked to pay 14,500/- !!! for the regular service. They had also replaced the brake pads during the service !!!...It seems the pads wear out pretty quickly on the automatics. I just want to know if this is just a one-off case or if it is the norm. Can some of the owners please confirm ?
Old 6th October 2016, 13:24   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRIKX View Post
Hi, Can some one who owns an Innova Crysta and has gone in for the first or second service please confirm the maintenance costs so far ?. Recently, a cousin of mine who owns an Innova Crysta Diesel Auto had his car serviced at 10,000 kms. He was in for a shock when the bill came. He was asked to pay 14,500/- !!! for the regular service. They had also replaced the brake pads during the service !!!...It seems the pads wear out pretty quickly on the automatics. I just want to know if this is just a one-off case or if it is the norm. Can some of the owners please confirm ?
Is that not reasonable for a car that costs about 20L INR on the road? I spend a similar amount to service my Maruti Ritz VDi that was about 5.5L INR on the road.
Old 6th October 2016, 13:30   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Is that not reasonable for a car that costs about 20L INR on the road? I spend a similar amount to service my Maruti Ritz VDi that was about 5.5L INR on the road.
Why would one replace brake pads at 10K kilometers? That is certainly not reasonable.

Quote:
The OP has clearly mentioned 14500 as regular service. The brake pads wearing out so soon is another discussion.
If the brake pads were replaced as part of the regular service whose cost is 14.5K, then it is not normal. Especially not at 10K service.

Quote:
Recently, a cousin of mine who owns an Innova Crysta Diesel Auto had his car serviced at 10,000 kms. He was in for a shock when the bill came. He was asked to pay 14,500/- !!! for the regular service. They had also replaced the brake pads during the service !!!...It seems the pads wear out pretty quickly on the automatics.
Can you post the split of the bill here? For more clarity on the issue.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 6th October 2016 at 13:55.
Old 6th October 2016, 13:48   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi..I just want to know if this is just a one-off case or if it is the norm. Can some of the owners please confirm ?
I'm not an owner but this is extremely abnormal! Does the driver brake too often & too hard? How is the condition of the tyres, do they look abit too worn out ?

At 10k kms, an Innova is considered new & this should not be acceptable. Ask him to write to Toyota & request they foot the cost.

Quote:
Is that not reasonable for a car that costs about 20L INR on the road?...
Cost of the car has nothing to do with this. Brake pads wearing off within 10k kms is just ridiculous, unless the driver is regularly braking hard abruptly to deliberately wear off the brakes.
Old 6th October 2016, 13:51   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Why would one replace brake pads at 10K kilometers? That is certainly not reasonable.

Can you post the split of the bill here? For more clarity on the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I'm not an owner but this is extremely abnormal! Does the driver brake too often & too hard? How is the condition of the tyres, do they look abit too worn out ?

At 10k kms, an Innova is considered new & this should not be acceptable. Ask him to write to Toyota & request they foot the cost.

Cost of the car has nothing to do with this. Brake pads wearing off within 10k kms is just ridiculous, unless the driver is regularly braking hard abruptly to deliberately wear off the brakes.
The OP has clearly mentioned 14500 as regular service. The brake pads wearing out so soon is another discussion.
Old 6th October 2016, 17:14   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think its high at all, A 2800cc engine will take around 6 litres of oil, I am assuming synthetic because of the 10k km interval you mention. I am not sure about labour charges at Toyota, but they can't be too low, replacing the brake pads at 10k would be normal, not because of driving style but the fact that the Crysta is a heavy ladder on frame van with a powerful engine, its a completely different animal from the old Innova.

Automatics tend to have greater wear on the brakes, add to that a powerful engine, you are looking at similar costs at every service, considering the cost of the car, 14k is not too high for service that includes brake pads. Brake pad wear goes down as driving style gets accustomed to the car's characteristics, from my experience.
Old 6th October 2016, 17:35   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted here but here is the DC Crysta: http://www.motoroids.com/news/dc-des...inr-4-95-lacs/

Makes sense to get the base version and give it to DC if you prefer luxury over utility.

I wonder if one bought the top end version for the airbags and save it to DC, would the airbags work in the new interior system?
Old 6th October 2016, 17:47   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Automatics tend to have greater wear on the brakes, add to that a powerful engine, you are looking at similar costs at every service, considering the cost of the car, 14k is not too high for service that includes brake pads. Brake pad wear goes down as driving style gets accustomed to the car's characteristics, from my experience.
Brakes on auto transmission vehicle requires bit of getting used to. Need to change break pads at 10K kms service definitely point at heavy break use. Going slow in acceleration or releasing accelerator early could be an option, I am not an expert.

Most Viewed