Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 00:17   #961
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Upgraded the stock Bridgestone tyres (205/65/R16) to Michelin Primacy SUV (215/65/R16).
Looks sweet. Congratulations. I always wanted to get this tyre upgrade, but havent done so due to the fact that it might void the warranty (as told by the dealer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
Interesting to see TKM reverting back to 17 inch rims on the higher trims. Our ZX trim Crysta suffered a blowout with its 16 inch rims in a small pothole with just 600km on the tires. No idea how a pothole can cause a blowout especially at low speeds. Regardless, our experience with Toyota India has been very mediocre at best. Shall share more information when I have access to a computer (currently on mobile).

On a side note, I wonder if the new LED fog lights can be retrofitted on existing Crysta's. Will be a much welcome upgrade to the existing dull halogens.
I wonder if Toyota even considers this as a genuine issue with the tyre choice on Crysta. They are just ignoring this and are happily milking the customers. I am a victim of the tyre bursts, not once, but twice.

Had to change two tyres the first time, when the car went over a pothole at lower speeds within the city and the second time, when it went over a kerb. Both the times, Toyota Dealer has refused to honour the warranty.

And now to add to it further, yesterday I noticed a huge crack on the outer surface of the front left tyre. Unable to take it to the Dealer this week due to work commitments and I am not confident to take the car out as it might give away any time.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20170910_133606.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20170910_133804.jpg
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 00:48   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Updated price list of innova crysta in hyderabad.
Is this the updated price list after the cess hike? w.e.f 1st September, is written on the sheet you posted, btw.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:29   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I wonder if Toyota even considers this as a genuine issue with the tyre choice on Crysta. They are just ignoring this and are happily milking the customers. I am a victim of the tyre bursts, not once, but twice.

Had to change two tyres the first time, when the car went over a pothole at lower speeds within the city and the second time, when it went over a kerb. Both the times, Toyota Dealer has refused to honour the warranty.

And now to add to it further, yesterday I noticed a huge crack on the outer surface of the front left tyre. Unable to take it to the Dealer this week due to work commitments and I am not confident to take the car out as it might give away any time.
  1. It was absolutely unprofessional on the part of the Toyota dealer not to have honored the warranty.
  2. If you escalated the matter to Toyota customer care and even they did not take care of it, then it's time that you send a notice to the dealer and Toyota via registered post. Collect all the online articles which mentions about this problem, refer to them in your mail and also the fact that Toyota themselves changed the size of the tyres to 16".
  3. And even when they switched the size back to 17", they opted for a stiffer sidewall as per Autocar.
Quote:
As a part of the update, the carmaker has restored the Crysta with 17-inch rims that has tyres with a stiffer sidewall. Around April this year, Toyota discontinued the 17-inch alloys from the Innova Crysta range and switched to 16-inch rims after customer feedback revealed instances of tyre damage under heavy load.
Wait for 30 days and if they don't respect warranty within this time, file a consumer court case against the dealer. Add Toyota as an accused as well.
You shouldn't agree to anything except a free warranty replacement of all 4 tyres along with the refund of the 2 replacements you did using your money.
It's not just about money. A balloon like tyre which can get punctured at the slightest hit is a safety hazard on highway speeds! There is no use with the ABS/ESC/TRC/Hill Assist when the only contact of your 5 star safety rated vehicle with the road - the tyres can't hold up well!

Last edited by amalji : 12th September 2017 at 08:49.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 13:20   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Looks sweet. Congratulations. I always wanted to get this tyre upgrade, but havent done so due to the fact that it might void the warranty (as told by the dealer).
Thank you for the compliments.
I too got the same doubt regarding the warranty, when I decided to change the tyres. I have expressed the same thing on another thread, even before I took delivery of the vehicle ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4234897.

Innova Crysta Owner's Manual & Warranty Booklet mentions about What Is Not Covered under Warranty. It reads as follows : Repairs and adjustments required as a result of misuse, (e.g) racing, overloading, over rewing or similar improper usage, negligence, modification, alteration, tampering... (Page No 549). So, with the words "as a result of" used in the owner's manual, we may may assume that the company, to void the warranty of a particular part, may have to show that the damage occurred to that particular part is due to the tyre change (I am sure that no part of the vehicle gets damaged due to my tyre change).

The owner's Manual also states that "Failure of a vehicle on which the odometer mileage has been altered or changed so that the vehicle mileage cannot be readily ascertained is not covered" (Page No 550). But the change in mileage that occurs due to this tyre change, is very very negligible, and even that also can be ascertained/calculated exactly.

Finally, after all the above brainstorming, I feel that some dealerships sometimes have a tendency to void warranty for silly things. Anyways, I went ahead with the change.
vsun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 17:49   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Finally, after all the above brainstorming, I feel that some dealerships sometimes have a tendency to void warranty for silly things. Anyways, I went ahead with the change.
During the day of delivery there was another Innova to be delivered and I noticed It had really wide tires. On closer inspection I noticed they were 235 section Falken tires . I checked with SA and he informed me that they are dealer fitment upon request by buyer and doesnot void warranty.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 19:45   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
During the day of delivery there was another Innova to be delivered and I noticed It had really wide tires. On closer inspection I noticed they were 235 section Falken tires . I checked with SA and he informed me that they are dealer fitment upon request by buyer and doesnot void warranty.
Oh! Thanks for the nice info. This info sounds sweet to me . 235 section tyres may be too wide for Crysta. I was a bit hesitant when I was offered to go for 225 section tyres, by the shop guy. Finally chosen 215.
Old 13th September 2017, 21:56   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
It's not just about money. A balloon like tyre which can get punctured at the slightest hit is a safety hazard on highway speeds! There is no use with the ABS/ESC/TRC/Hill Assist when the only contact of your 5 star safety rated vehicle with the road - the tyres can't hold up well!
I just went through few of the updates on the tyre bursts. Having worked in the tyre industry I have few suggestions/information.
1. To my knowledge, size is not a factor with a one inch difference - specifically in tyre bursts while running into a pothole. The reason of the tyre bursts can be due to bad quality of those specific tyres.
2. For complaints related to tyres taking it up with Toyota dealer will definitely take longer time if they decide to take the complaint. I would suggest to take it up with the customer support of the manufacturer. Some manufacturers have offices where they will check the tyres and based on their analysis they will recommend for replacement.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th February 2019 at 15:41. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
pradeepnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 07:34   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

]
Coincidentally, when i was replacing my ciaz's tyres, i saw a crysta 2.8Z with similar crack in rear tyre, and he was replacing it again with new Bridgestone Turanza.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th September 2017 at 07:40.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 22:11   #969
Senior - BHPian

New Feature Discovered

I have accidently discovered a hidden feature in my Crysta GX today

When you turn off the car and take out the key the power window switch will still be powered for approximately a minute.

Note that if you open the driver door it will no longer work. If you have any windows down it will give the opportunity to close it before you exit the vehicle without putting the key back in and turning it to ACC mode.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 01:37   #970
BHPian

Friends, does anyone know the type of bulb Innova Crysta uses for both front/rear indicators? The manual says it's a 21W wedge base bulb but doesn't specify the exact number. I know the brake light/tail light is a 7443 type, is it the same for the turn signals? I am planning on purchasing a full set of LED bulbs for both interior and exterior use for my parents Crysta back home in India.

I'm also curious to know the procedure to install LEDs in the interior. Is it a simple matter of prying apart the plastic covers or is it something more involved? I'd hate to break anything on a brand new car.

In addition, does anyone know if the presence of LED bulbs as indicators will cause them to "hyperflash"? If so, I hope there is enough room in the indicator assemblies to mount the appropriate resistors. Also, will installing LED bulbs cause any bulb out warnings on the dashboard? The reason I ask is because my BMW threw bulb out warnings when I installed LEDs and I then had to code those bulb checks out which remedied the problem.

I've also been trying to find red W5W bulbs for use in the tailgate section but can't seem to find any. Philips doesn't seem to manufacture any and neither does Osram apparently.

One of our members (was it you Sankar sir?) here had a convenient list of all the LED bulbs he used but I cannot for the life of me find it again. Hopefully, the member will show up again and shed some light into this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th September 2017, 07:35   #971
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Feature Discovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I have accidently discovered a hidden feature in my Crysta GX today

When you turn off the car and take out the key the power window switch will still be powered for approximately a minute.

Note that if you open the driver door it will no longer work. If you have any windows down it will give the opportunity to close it before you exit the vehicle without putting the key back in and turning it to ACC mode.
I guess, this is a safety feature where some power is stored in a capacitor on the door to handle situations where there's an accident and you are not able to operate the power windows and lock due to a circuit cut.

The feature going away once the door is opened also makes sense since you don't want to store this power once the passenger is safe.

Last edited by amalji : 15th September 2017 at 07:40.
Old 15th September 2017, 07:43   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
One of our members (was it you Sankar sir?) here had a convenient list of all the LED bulbs he used but I cannot for the life of me find it again. Hopefully, the member will show up again and shed some light into this.
Yes that was me and it was in the auto expo thread of Crysta. I have converted all of them to LED except headlight & foglight. Have used Philips or Osram (Sylvania) bulbs for the retrofit.

Exterior in my GX:
Tail & brake lamp - 7443 (Red Philips LED)
Indicators front and rear - 7440 (Amber Sylvania Zevo)
Rear hatch tail lamp - T10 (Red Sylvania Zevo)
Front park (GX) - T10 (Amber Sylvania Zevo)
Reverse light - T16 (Philips 6000k)

Interior in my GX:
Front cabin light - T10 (Osram 6000K)
Rear cabin light - Festoon 30mm (Philips 6000K)
Boot light - T10 - (Osram 6000K)

Pending:
Headlights and Foglights. Thinking of fitting quad projectors in headlights.

Note:
If you are not using resistors it will hyperflash. I have not used resistors.
You will not get any bulb out errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I guess, this is a safety feature where some power is stored in a capacitor on the door to handle situations where there's an accident and you are not able to operate the power windows and lock due to a circuit cut.

The feature going away once the door is opened also makes sense since you don't want to store this power once the passenger is safe.
There is no capacitor in the door(s), i can confirm that. This is controlled by BCM and power routed from battery directly. In a review thread this was listed as a feature for some vehicle. Toyota has not even mentioned it.

Last edited by Sankar : 15th September 2017 at 07:50.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 18:58   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yes that was me and it was in the auto expo thread of Crysta.

======
Note:
If you are not using resistors it will hyperflash. I have not used resistors.
You will not get any bulb out errors.

No wonder I couldn't find it! It didn't occur to me to look back in the Auto Expo thread. Thank you very much Sankar sir for the invaluable information. This will help a lot moving forwards.

Looking through that thread however, I noticed that you've used a 38mm festoon for the rear/center lights where as in the quote above you've mentioned a 30mm festoon. Which of the two will work?

Have you also installed LEDs for use as the license plate lights? Are they the same T10 bulbs also?

Is there any specific set of instructions to follow in order to replace the interior bulbs?

I was hoping they wouldn't hyperflash as I personally don't like the effect. Would you happen to know if there's enough room in the assemblies for resistors to cancel out the hyperflash? Good to know there won't be any error messages. Thanks once again!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th February 2019 at 15:42. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
CrippledLucifer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 20:41   #974
BHPian

First Service Report:

Reached the dealership by 9:30AM (As per the appointment) and I was thinking to wait till the service is completed and take the vehicle (Now a days, Toyota is advertising about 1-Hour service, and I wanted to avail this facility).
After a lot of waiting, at 10:45AM Service Adviser came to me and I took him to the vehicle. He opened a job card and started to note the details and took the first service slip from my owner's Manual.
Conversation between SA and Me:
SA:- Ok sir, vehicle will be delivered in the evening. Will you go for under body coating?
Me:- Evening ?? why? what about the 1-Hour service?
SA:- We cant even finish the washing in one hour sir. Will you go for under body coating?
Me:- First note down my complaints with the vehicle.
SA:- No problem sir. It is just the first service. Our service personnel will check and if there is any problem, they will rectify. Meanwhile, under body coating will also be done.
Me:- Ok. I understood now. First, the service personnel will check the vehicle and if they found any problems, they rectify them, and after taking the delivery, I need to check whether my complaint has been addressed by them or not, and after that, if my complaint still persists, then I have to tell you. Is this what you want to say?
SA:- Tell me your complaints with the vehicle.
Me: I am getting a feeling that the horn is week. Horn needs to be checked. Sometimes, the vehicle is not starting when I press the clutch and start the vehicle.
SA:- ok sir I have noted your complaints. Do you want to go for under body treatment?
Me:- No I dont want any under body coating. Please deliver my vehicle as early as possible. I actually came here thinking that I will get back the vehicle within one hour.

I took the delivery of the vehicle at 3:00PM. Vehicle neatly washed and cleaned.
They told me that they have tuned the horn and it is working fine now. Regarding the starting problem, they told that the clutch has to be pressed completely, and we need to watch the floor mat (floor mat may come between the floor and clutch peddle) when the vehicle fail to start.

I still feel that the horn is weak. It is ok for city use, but I am getting a feeling that it is inadequate for highway.
vsun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 23:34   #975
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I have gotten my Fortuner's horn replaced under warranty, since it was having only a single tone. It sounded meek. So push for warranty replacement.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks