Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2017, 11:06   #1066
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Has anyone tried raising the height of the LED low beam projectors on the ZX model yet?
I find them to be quite low for highway driving, and staying in high beam all the time comes with moral conflict.
I found two screw like adjusters behind the low beams on both the headlamps, but couldn't get them to move either way, thus the query.
Thanks in advance.
We got it done from the dealer itself since the owner's manual mentions that you should get it done at the dealer only but anyways BHPian sridhu did this on his own although he also recommends it to be done by the dealer.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:21   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post

Just returned from a long drive from Goa. The dreaded steering vibration while braking at high speeds is back. The front discs were changed under warranty before due to the same problem and that was seen once more just before the 20k full service. I reported the same to the Service Centre and they told me that the brake pads/discs have been serviced thoroughly. Haven't experienced the same problem after that untill this trip and seriously it's a nightmare to go at legit high speeds with the concern of this heavy steering vibration. I usually stick to 100 - 120 KMPh throught out whenever I drive on the highways. The ODO is close to 29k KMS now and I plan to get checked during the 30k service interval.

Sankar, I remember that you have got the discs skimmed long back. Did it help?
Let me list own the reasons why the steering vibrates during braking and the reason for the discs reaching this state too.

1) When you brake hard say from 120 kmph to a standstill say for a signal and end up keeping your foot on the brake pedal, there is a phenomena called 'etching' which means it passes on the brake pad material to the disc, with a couple of such high speed stops and brake pedals pressed on the disc, the dreaded brake pedal vibration will start as brake pad material has etched itself on the disc, the only solution after etching has happened is to get the disc skimmed and you will be back to normal. Remember to always have your foot off the brake after a high speed stop, your discs will remain wonderful for a long time.

2) If the balancing is out, it would cause steering vibration while braking when you pass the unbalance point speed, overtime the disc will unevenly wear and even after balancing is got right, the steering vibration will remain.

3) Highly unlikely in a new car but if the wheel studs are bent a little or if the hub is damaged or bent, this can cause the steering vibration while braking too as the brake disc sits on these components.

If I had to root cause analyse your problem, I would start with point 2 first, 1st point then, and 3rd point last.

I hope this helps
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:47   #1068
Senior - BHPian

It appears that some dealers are offering discount upto 1lakh on VX variants.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...s-month-402189
Not sure what the reason is and article doesnot mention any dealer in specific.
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:00   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone tried raising the height of the LED low beam projectors on the ZX model yet?

I find them to be quite low for highway driving, and staying in high beam all the time comes with moral conflict.

I found two screw like adjusters behind the low beams on both the headlamps, but couldn't get them to move either way, thus the query.

Thanks in advance.

I got this done at the dealership also like others have mentioned. The first time around they adjusted them, it made no difference at night when the car was fully loaded. The next time I went in, I had them adjust the car while it was empty and then once again when it was fully loaded. The service manager called over seven employees to simulate a fully loaded car and the lights were once again adjusted. This time around, they were perfectly aimed. Not too high to blind other drivers, but high enough for me to safely see the road ahead. Suggest you ask your service advisor to do the same.
CrippledLucifer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:51   #1070
BHPian

Is it true that Rajpal Toyota, Indore has been removed by toyota as their dealer? I have been hearing this for a while now.

They had been doing a lot of malpractice like overbilling, under invoicing, cheating in service, etc.

My own experience was not very good. We were overcharged by about 42000 and that amount came back few months later when we finally got frustrated and had to write to Toyota India.
Old 5th December 2017, 13:15   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Just saw my cousins Crysta closely. Car is good but very very over priced for what it offers. He paid almost 24 Lakhs still no top end model which is really sad. Toyota is just looting people. One thing bothered me - I started the engine and it shakes quite a lot and the gear leaver was shaking / moving like old jeeps which is really sad to see. I never expected this from 20 Lakh car. My half price diesel Ertiga don't have such huge vibrations at all. Gear lever don't shake at all.

Is it normal in Innova Crysta?
Old 5th December 2017, 13:19   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I started the engine and it shakes quite a lot and the gear leaver was shaking / moving like old jeeps which is really sad to see.

It was common in my old innova. I think it has more to do with the long gear stalk being exposed more than in your ertiga and being visible to our eyes.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 13:23   #1073
BANNED

Quote:
the gear leaver was shaking / moving like old jeeps which is really sad to see.
It is common for manual RWD ladder frame SUVs and trucks, the reason is the gear lever movements on its mounts and unlike the FWD's, the lever isn't connected via rods etc, its more of a direct mount.

Not just Crysta, pick ANY RWD ladder frame SUV (especially diesel) and it will be there
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 02:28   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
As stated by VKumar Sir, it is very much normal for all ladder frame vehicles to have their gear levers dancing around while driving.
I have noticed that it shakes even more violently if the car is revved while stationary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Not just Crysta, pick ANY RWD ladder frame SUV (especially diesel) and it will be there
I drove the new Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4X4 MT today, and the gear lever didn’t shake as violently as it does in my Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX.
Does the presence of the four wheel drive system have to do anything with the gear lever being more composed when compared to a RWD car, or am I missing something here?
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:05   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
It was common in my old innova. I think it has more to do with the long gear stalk being exposed more than in your ertiga and being visible to our eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
It is common for manual RWD ladder frame SUVs and trucks, the reason is the gear lever movements on its mounts and unlike the FWD's, the lever isn't connected via rods etc, its more of a direct mount.

Quote:
As stated by VKumar Sir, it is very much normal for all ladder frame vehicles to have their gear levers dancing around while driving.
I have noticed that it shakes even more violently if the car is revved while stationary.

I drove the new Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4X4 MT today, and the gear lever didn’t shake as violently as it does in my Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX.
Does the presence of the four wheel drive system have to do anything with the gear lever being more composed when compared to a RWD car, or am I missing something here?
Thanks for clarification friends .. Still i am not convinced. I am sure this issue can be fixed with some engineering. Gear lever dancing like cheap, old jeeps is not at all acceptable in such a costly, advanced car in today's world. I am sure Toyota is saving some money here.
Old 6th December 2017, 15:02   #1076
BANNED

Acceptable or not thats how it is. Ertiga has a transversely mounted engine with gearbox sitting next to the left front wheel and gearshifter connected with cable. Innova has a longitudinally mounted engine with gearbox sitting under the gear shifter which is directly connected to it and it moves with the gearbox. In my automatic crysta there is no shake because the shifter is not solidly connected to the gearbox, instead its cable (similar to ertiga) and electrical wires.

Last edited by Sankar : 6th December 2017 at 15:03.
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 19:06   #1077
BHPian

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/t...-january-2018/
Crysta top end spec will jump up by a good 1+L onroad in Bangalore
SR-71 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 22:21   #1078
BHPian

I tried looking for other threads and I believe this is the best place to ask this question about the Crysta.
We decided to go for the manual top end variant, Z 2.4 in grey. A month later, the dealership still says the said colour will be unavailable, and has avant garde bronze and white ready to go. I'm keen on getting the car soon, and three dealerships have denied the availability of grey. Should I go ahead and take the plunge for avant garde bronze? It is the colour I least dislike. Both dealers (Espirit and MGF) are quoting a waiting period of 30 days. Any insight would be appreciated
Old 7th December 2017, 23:45   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
Any insight would be appreciated
Since your preferred colour is grey, silver is the next closest colour that you can go for.
I personally detest the bronze colour & find white to be a little too taxi for my liking.
If you’re still not convinced with it, you can try talking to the GM of both the dealerships to get an insight & also try procuring the grey colour.
I am friends with the GM of Grace Toyota, so if you could contact me on ashubrah29@gmail.com (since you’re a newbie & don’t have PM), I could try & talk to them for you.
Old 8th December 2017, 00:41   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/t...-january-2018/
Crysta top end spec will jump up by a good 1+L onroad in Bangalore
Does not matter. We Indians love Toyota so much we will pay whatever they ask. At the rate Toyota is going we will hit 50L for the Innova in a few years

Most Viewed