Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 09:30   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Finally booked a Silver GX AT to be delivered on 24th December i.e. on wife's birthday. Total discount managed is 1.25L. I wanted a 2018 car but was informed that with a 3% hike and almost no discounts post 31st Dec and so I would have ended paying about 1.5 to 2L more.

Excited, so would like to know the must have accessories vs the passable ones from Toyota. I have so far decided on the faux wood panel but the price is too steep. Can it be fitted from outside. Rubber mats, Door open protectors and mud flaps come to mind immediately. Are side step and bumper protectors any good or are they better procured from some after market shop?

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2017 at 10:17. Reason: As requested :)
Old 14th December 2017, 11:55   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Finally booked a Silver GX AT to be delivered on 24th December i.e. on wife's birthday. Total discount managed is 1.25L. I wanted a 2018 car but was informed that with a 3% hike and almost no discounts post 31st Dec and so I would have ended paying about 1.5 to 2L more.
Congratulations on booking the car & getting a great discount.

Since you asked about accessories, apart from the basics, you can opt for fog lamps, auto head lamps, a music system (as the GX doesn’t come with one) & a car cover, as the rest of the list is filled with gaudy looking “chrome”.
Did you go for the 7 STR or the 8 STR?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th December 2017 at 00:05. Reason: Corrected as requested.
Old 14th December 2017, 16:31   #1113
BHPian

Update on ceramic coating. Ceramic pro holds good after couple of months. Car looks brand new after 300 kms drive with no cleaning, dust doesnt stick any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20171207_145240.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20171207_145232.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 16:56   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Secondly, congratulations on booking the car & getting a great discount.
Hey Thanks!

It's the 8 seater I have booked. Wanted the 7 seater with the captains seats, but then with a 5 month old baby in the house, the bench seat made more sense.

Yes am not opting for most of the stuff in the standard accessories list. Have only finalized the faux wood panels, rubber mats, mud guards and the door protectors. Rest of the stuff I want is far too over priced like the side step which I need as mother had a tough time climbing on the rear seats of the test car. For the ICE I am already in talks for an Android auto HU with component speakers, amp and a sub. Yes the fog lamps is something I will explore. Thanks again.

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2017 at 10:17. Reason: Corrected
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 16:59   #1115
BHPian

Is the difference in price (approx. INR 80L) for a Innova Crysta Touring Sport (limited edition) worth it?

I was told by the local dealer the biggest addition to Touring Sport currently is the 'start-stop' technology and LED lamps in addition to whatever was already present on the touring sport edition.

Thoughts welcome.
Old 14th December 2017, 17:13   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Is the difference in price (approx. INR 80L) for a Innova Crysta Touring Sport (limited edition) worth it?

I was told by the local dealer the biggest addition to Touring Sport currently is the 'start-stop' technology and LED lamps in addition to whatever was already present on the touring sport edition.

Thoughts welcome.
For 2.4 its totally worth it given that touring sport comes with 6 speed manual instead of 5 which is found in regular Cysta. For 2.8 I don't think its worth it.
Old 14th December 2017, 17:36   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, it’s NOT worth it. I say so because of the following reasons -
• There are only two colours, white & red, available in the Touring Sport, both of which I don’t like.
• The added body kit looks gaudy to me, and makes the already small wheels on such a huge car look even smaller.
• The LED fog lights, 6 speed MT & the start-stop system is just a cover up for providing 3 airbags in the manual variant at a higher cost when compared to the 7 airbags that the regular 2.4 ZX gets.

There’s a reason why the Touring Sport can hardly be spotted on the road, and that’s why I’d advise you against it.
Old 15th December 2017, 06:32   #1118
BHPian

Quote:

Thoughts welcome.
I dont think Touring sport is 80k more than V variant. Its 2.2 lks more in manual. According to me variant selection depends on personal requirement. I wanted a fortuner but my mother couldnt climb it hence innova( also better high way comfort) with minimal chrome. A blacked out innova with red dails and seat linings " sporty innova" was my requirement.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:48   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
For 2.4 its totally worth it given that touring sport comes with 6 speed manual instead of 5 which is found in regular Cysta. For 2.8 I don't think its worth it.
+1 to this. If I were to buy a manual, I would have opted for the touring sport just for that one reason.

For the AT, I would rather stick with the ZX AT though. There is no advantage I get with the touring sport other than the aesthetic gimmicks which I don't care about.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 12:14   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post

I say so because of the following reasons -
1)There are only two colours, white & red
2)The LED fog lights
3)6 speed MT
4)the start-stop system
5)7 air bags
Based on user experience i will give my views on above points. As said in previous post apart from looks ,

1) Pearl white is a notch above all paint colors available for crysta and also this particular shade is very popular here. It is very easy to maintain but very hard to match a patch.

2) Led fog lights is a very good add on if you dont use high beam in city.

3) 6 speed gear box is useful if you cruise above 120kmph for long else 5 speed is best suited for crysta as it can pull from low speed.

4) Start stop tech is a very irritating feature even in my C class Merc automatic.

5) I drive at 80-100 kmph and I have never seen captain seat passenger wear a seat belt.
Old 15th December 2017, 13:15   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
3) 6 speed gear box is useful if you cruise above 120kmph for long else 5 speed is best suited for crysta as it can pull from low speed.
Could you please elaborate on how the 5 speed gearbox helps better than 6 speed for pulling from low speed?

Quote:
5) I drive at 80-100 kmph and I have never seen captain seat passenger wear a seat belt.
The ignorance of the passenger or the driver shouldn't be the criteria for choosing a safety feature.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 13:43   #1122
BANNED

If you're getting zx for vx touring money, go with zx because of the airbags and other small knick knacks. That's my suggestion. Safety should be the highest priority, not led fog lights haha ( but that's how India works)
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 14:27   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6 speed gear box is useful if you cruise above 120kmph for long else 5 speed is best suited for crysta as it can pull from low speed.
I believe the 6 speed MT trumps the 5 speed MT in every way. As per the official review, the 5 speed 2.4 manual does 100 kmph at 2250 RPM and 120 at 2800 RPM. This is definitely on the higher side. For instance, my i20 diesel does 100 at 2100 and 120 at 2500 in 6th and I still think it's mildly higher. My previous Lodgy used to do 100 at a shade above 2000 RPM.

Also, with a 6 speed MT, there can be a better spread of ratios and you don't have to go over 120 kmph to appreciate the benefits. Some will argue there are more gearshifts to be done on a 6 speed. Personally, I've used 2 cars with 5 speed MT and 2 cars with 6 speed MT and definitely I'll go with 6 speed MT any day. The longevity of an engine is definitely better when it cruises at a lesser RPM and of course, not to mention fuel economy.

Do you have the Touring Sport? If yes, please share the RPM at 100 and 120. My guess is, it's definitely lower than the 5 speed.

EDIT: I never intended to shortlist a Crysta, ever. But with the 6 MT, I'll definitely shorlist a Touring Sport when looking to buy one.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 15th December 2017 at 14:33.
Old 15th December 2017, 14:40   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I believe the 6 speed MT trumps the 5 speed MT in every way..
What I found was its better being in 5 gear if speed falls from 120 say 80 rather than being in 6 gear changing to 5 and 6. There is this booming sound coming in eco and normal modes below 80 and vehicle doesnt have the momentum to move forward like you need to change the gear. I definitely dont think its like i20 here.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 15th December 2017 at 14:47. Reason: Spelling
Old 15th December 2017, 14:42   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
4) Start stop tech is a very irritating feature even in my C class Merc automatic.
Start-Stop technology is a feature that Toyota is advertising for in, Touring Sport Z AT variant (not available in regular Innova Crysta Z AT variant) and Fortuners. Can you elaborate a bit on why you feel irritated with this feature?

The one point I can think of is continuous activity of this feature in typical bumper-to-bumper traffic may affect battery (draining) life. Otherwise, wouldn't it help save fuel and better mileage slightly? Does the engine do a stop-start after every few meters in heavy traffic? Good to know.

Most Viewed