Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2017, 18:25   #1216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
I can adjust temperature settings at rear a/c vents in my innova.
Wow. Please tell me how. I actually don't know.
Old 31st December 2017, 18:37   #1217
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I tried to play around with my new Touring Sport's Navigation maps. I am wondering if Toyota has provided Map My India or Toyota's own proprietary navigation software? I pressed, Navigation -- > Options -- > Destination -- > Address screens, to type in specific destinations. However the options the software provided in the auto-populated list did not have significant local landmarks that I would have expected to find (like in google maps or when I type the same places when requesting an Uber).

Since I was locally driving around it did not matter, as I was only playing around with the system to familiarize myself with the navigation software. Wonder if the software needs an update (during my upcoming 1st service) or is it a proprietary Toyota software that lacks details like those of Map My India or google maps. If there is a different way I need to try, please share.
Old 31st December 2017, 18:59   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Except that you can't set the temperature.
I was under the impression that it's only a start stop button, that the rear passengers can use to start the ac without using rear start button on auto ac panel on the dash, that's all. I cant see anywhere that it's explicitly mentioned that the 2nd ac unit is a top variant feature only. Can anyone guide to the official Toyota link that explicitly states this fact.
Old 1st January 2018, 06:53   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Wow. Please tell me how. I actually don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I cant see anywhere that it's explicitly mentioned that the 2nd ac unit is a top variant feature only. Can anyone guide to the official Toyota link that explicitly states this fact.
Wish you guys a very happy new year.

First, we need to understand innova comes with front air conditioning and rear aircooler systems. Means, there is only one unit if im not wrong may be there might be another unit depending on load. What I Meant was temperature settings you have done in front will reflect to rear with auto blower button.

I have done some spirited driving in city yesterday and I got a mileage of 13.5. I am still not able to control the temper of the engine in power mode.
Old 1st January 2018, 07:54   #1220
Senior - BHPian

2600 KMS and the first side wall tear happened on new year. Thank you Toyota for not listening to anyone on the forum and arrogantly sticking to 17" low profile tyres. I'm going to use my zero depreciation insurance every single time the tyre breaks to replace these tires which costs around 12k. Hope, better sense prevails to the design team in Toyota. This car needs to be driven on Indian roads and not on international standard express highways.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180101_063153.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180101_063242.jpg  

Last edited by amalji : 1st January 2018 at 07:57.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 08:18   #1221
BHPian

It looks like a chipped damage by a sharp object
I have been running the same tyres since last 20k kms in last 18 months luckily without any damage
docaxe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 09:01   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
It looks like a chipped damage by a sharp object
I have been running the same tyres since last 20k kms in last 18 months luckily without any damage
Here is what the sharp object looks like.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180101_081241.jpg

I agree that it's sharp. The speed was somewhere around 30 kmph. But, these are the kind of things that you encounter on a daily basis on Indian roads. If the tyre is going to give away every time I go over something like this, I'll only have time for tyre replacement.

The problem here is that The sidewall height is just 118.25 mm to carry a load of 500 kgs per tyre. If I compare that with Etios top end, the sidewall height was 111 mm to carry a load of 250 kgs which made it much more safe to go over such obstacles.

The 16 inch tyres are better in that regard because the sidewall height is 133.25 mm giving that extra bit of buffer.

You also have to remember that it's a ladder on frame MPV which is capable of doing some soft off roading. The tyre size just doesn't serve the purpose for such a vehicle. I might change the tyre size to 16" once the current set completes its duty.

Last edited by amalji : 1st January 2018 at 09:04.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 09:57   #1223
BHPian

Reading all the feedback on tyre damages, I am very reluctant to use the vehicle on bad or no roads. But yesterday I had to visit a house warming ceremony on outskirts. To my surprise there were no roads or very bad roads for 20kms and I was offroading with 7 people on board @25kmph with no tyre damage. I have to thank my lucky stars on that.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 1st January 2018 at 10:24.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:06   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I agree. Certainly does not look lethal enough for such a catastrophic outcome. I am routinely forced to drive over such rocks when I visit a local nursery / farm in my Octavia's 205/55/16 tyres.

Interesting to know the load rating on the 17" tyres. Are they really capable of the load?
Old 1st January 2018, 11:47   #1225
BHPian

Keep the inflation pressure up, and you are much more likely to avoid tyre sidewall / rim damage. I have learnt this from running soft sidewall Michelins on my cars. I keep cold pressure around 3 PSI higher than spec.

For the record, keep cold inflation pressures well under the max value embossed on the tyre sidewall.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:00   #1226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are the tire specifications?
Old 1st January 2018, 12:00   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Sitting at my local tyre alignment shop, a pretty experienced guy who trains authorized workshop technicians and is an expert on suspension and tyre problems analysis said that he has seen new Innova Crysta tyres wear out within 30 to 40k kms in stark contrast to the old Innova whose tyres easily did 60k and more. He said most owners were blissfully unaware that there was an alignment problem right from the day the car was delivered.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:04   #1228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1711557

The problem here is that The sidewall height is just 118.25 mm to carry a load of 500 kgs per tyre. If I compare that with Etios top end, the sidewall height was 111 mm to carry a load of 250 kgs which made it much more safe to go over such obstacles.
Sidewall height need not be proportionate with load carrying capacity. I agree that a car like the Innova needs taller sidewalls, but many premium SUVs come with 18s, 19s, 20s and some have options for 21 inches as well . All these large dia wheels have very thin sidewalls. The 21" option on the BMW X3 has 35 profile tyres. Nowadays car makers seem to be going higher and higher with their wheel sizes. I guess one reason for this is to make the car look good. Bigger wheel size = more "premium", and I guess that's why Toyota wants to stick to 17's.

I suggest keeping a close watch on tyre pressures. Remember low pressure makes the tyre more vulnerable to sidewall damage. Increase pressure when you are carrying more load as well. +2 or +3 PSI is a good idea. Go too high and you risk damage to rims as the impact will get transferred to the rims. These lower profile tyres are not as abuse friendly and you have to be more careful, no two ways about it. You may also consider upsizing to taller profile tyres on the existing 17" rims. Upto 3% to 4% variance is usually accepted.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 1st January 2018 at 12:05.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 16:07   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
I have to thank my lucky stars on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
He said most owners were blissfully unaware that there was an alignment problem right from the day the car was delivered.
We would usually hear this kind of feedback from our fellow VW and Skoda friends not from Toyota and definitely not from Innova users. Is Toyota taking the Indian buyer for granted or what? This thing costs the same as my first apartment!

That said, is it just me or has anyone else felt that the niggles mentioned on Hexa are far less compared to Innova?
Old 1st January 2018, 16:51   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What are the tire specifications?
Bridgestone Turanza T001 - 215/55R17 94V

Last edited by AShubrah : 1st January 2018 at 16:52.
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed