Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2018, 17:03   #1231
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Bridgestone Turanza T001 - 215/55R17 94V
That is too low a profile for a MUV. In fact, even the SUV's appear to follow the trend. [Fortuner 265/65 R17 to 265/60 R18 and Scorpio 235/70 R16 to 235/65 R17]

Tire experts can chip in, with how variance is ok as far as aspect ratio goes and then can suitably upgrade.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd January 2018 at 08:13. Reason: Typo
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 17:50   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Interesting to know the load rating on the 17" tyres. Are they really capable of the load?
It's 94 which means 670 kgs. Even with 2 people onboard, it's very near to the load rating ( 500 kgs )

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Keep the inflation pressure up, and you are much more likely to avoid tyre sidewall / rim damage. I have learnt this from running soft sidewall Michelins on my cars. I keep cold pressure around 3 PSI higher than spec.

For the record, keep cold inflation pressures well under the max value embossed on the tyre sidewall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I suggest keeping a close watch on tyre pressures. Remember low pressure makes the tyre more vulnerable to sidewall damage. Increase pressure when you are carrying more load as well. +2 or +3 PSI is a good idea. Go too high and you risk damage to rims as the impact will get transferred to the rims.
The problem here is that the ride quality is already bad with the 17"even at the recommended pressure of 33 psi. If you look through the posts above, people are contemplating reducing the pressure further for better ride quality. Any more increase in pressure gives bouncy ride on even the slightest undulations.

Quote:
Sidewall height need not be proportionate with load carrying capacity. I agree that a car like the Innova needs taller sidewalls, but many premium SUVs come with 18s, 19s, 20s and some have options for 21 inches as well . All these large dia wheels have very thin sidewalls. The 21" option on the BMW X3 has 35 profile tyres. Nowadays car makers seem to be going higher and higher with their wheel sizes. I guess one reason for this is to make the car look good. Bigger wheel size = more "premium", and I guess that's why Toyota wants to stick to 17's.

These lower profile tyres are not as abuse friendly and you have to be more careful, no two ways about it. You may also consider upsizing to taller profile tyres on the existing 17" rims. Upto 3% to 4% variance is usually accepted.
Sidewall height need not be directly proportional to the load. But, more load means more the probability of pinching the tyres between the rim and the road. A taller sidewall certainly helps here.

I've given the vehicle to Ravindu Toyota, and they recommended both the tyre and sidewall to be replaced. Total cost - 28,000 INR. I've asked them to claim the insurance. After the work is done, I'm planning to escalate this further to Toyota.
Old 1st January 2018, 18:02   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I've asked them to claim the insurance. After the work is done, I'm planning to escalate this further to Toyota.
Sorry for going . Is tyre damage covered under insurance? Normal insurance policies have an exclusion clause for tyre damage. Tyres are covered only if they are required to be replaced as a result of an accident, unless you have a policy which has tyres specifically covered.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 18:07   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for going . Is tyre damage covered under insurance? Normal insurance policies have an exclusion clause for tyre damage. Tyres are covered only if they are required to be replaced as a result of an accident, unless you have a policy which has tyres specifically covered.
Yes, Tyres are covered under Toyota Zero depreciation insurance. Here the blame can only be put on 2 things.
  • On bad quality tyres ( in which case they should replace it under warranty )
  • Or due to abuse of the tyres similar to an accident ( in which case it should be covered under the insurance )
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 19:02   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
I
Sidewall height need not be directly proportional to the load. But, more load means more the probability of pinching the tyres between the rim and the road. A taller sidewall certainly helps here.
I am planning to change my ZX AT 17" tyres to 215/60/17 Bridgestone D687 which has higher load (96=710KG) and speed rating (H) than OEM tires with similar sidewall profile as the 16"chers.

Only issue is that it is +2.6% from the 16" circumference- but I hear shankar has upgraded his 16" to 215/65/16 without issues. 215/60/17 is just +0.7% higher than that..

I had asked this question here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4330606..

If this works out it will be a good upgrade to 17" owners - of course the handling will take a hit- but I am ready to compromise handling as it is an large MUV and I don't plan to drive it like a sedan
Old 1st January 2018, 20:26   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Only issue is that it is +2.6% from the 16" circumference- but I hear shankar has upgraded his 16" to 215/65/16 without issues. 215/60/17 is just +0.7% higher than that..

If this works out it will be a good upgrade to 17" owners - of course the handling will take a hit- but I am ready to compromise handling as it is an large MUV and I don't plan to drive it like a sedan
215 65 16 is a very good size to upgrade to on 16inch wheels. With that wheel it can fly over bad and broken roads with no issues.

I further upsized to 17 inch ZX wheels for an altogether different purpose. Im using Michelin P3ST 225 55 17 with load rating of 101. No issues except for a minor superficial sidewall cut when i kerbed hard while taking a U turn. This tyre is now doing duty of the spare.

And coming to inflation pressure, the OE recommendation is only a guideline which can only be taken as minimum recommended pressure when using OE spec tyres. In my experience across all cars I have owned so far.

Wheel lock for peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180101_201517.jpg  

Last edited by Sankar : 1st January 2018 at 20:28.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 20:40   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Tyres are covered under Toyota Zero depreciation insurance. Here the blame can only be put on 2 things.
  • On bad quality tyres ( in which case they should replace it under warranty )
  • Or due to abuse of the tyres similar to an accident ( in which case it should be covered under the insurance )
Certainly a damper for owners of new Innovas'. Really surprised that the tyre ripped due to that stone you've shown in the picture. On countryside Indian roads these are a common sight and shouldn't damage the tyres like it did to your new ride.

Curious, but wondering if it is an issue with size 215/55 supplied by Toyota or with Bridgestone Turanza make or the specific batch of stock Bridgestone Turanza tyres?

Maybe a basic question, but the reason for my curiosity is my 2012 Honda City had tyre issues (bubbles developing on the walls) with new stock MRFs supplied as OEM. Even after MRF replaced the tyres (at nominal cost after deducting depreciation), issue persisted. Finally I paid in full and got Yokohama tyres. Very happy with them.

I had asked this specific question (regarding tyre issues reported by consumers on 17" alloys) to the SA at Toyota when I was looking for an Innova, but was convinced by the Toyota sales staff that it was a known issue in the past and that Toyota had now researched and rectified the tyre issue. Also, tried researching on the topic and do not see any newer complaints on forums. Most of the posted complaints on other forums are from December 2016 thru' first quarter of 2017.

After reading your post, in retrospective, wonder if I should have considered changing to Yokohama or Michelin tyres soon after rolling out my new Innova.
Old 1st January 2018, 20:45   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I further upsized to 17 inch ZX wheels for an altogether different purpose. Im using Michelin P3ST 225 55 17 with load rating of 101. No issues except for a minor superficial sidewall cut when i kerbed hard while taking a U turn. This tyre is now doing duty of the spare.
Did you upgrade to the 17” ZX wheels just for aesthetic purposes? You make very practical mods to your rides, so I think there’s a silver lining to this upgrade.
Also, my use is mostly on bad/no roads, so would you recommend me to go for the Michelin P3ST like you did?
Are there any tires with a larger sidewall than the OEM spec? I ask so, because the ride is too bouncy & jarring even on slightly undulated surfaces.
I dropped the tyre pressure to 31 PSI yesterday & found the ride to have improved quite a bit, but then went back to 33 PSI fearing any damage to the sidewall.
Old 1st January 2018, 21:04   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Did you upgrade to the 17” ZX wheels just for aesthetic purposes? You make very practical mods to your rides, so I think there’s a silver lining to this upgrade.
Also, my use is mostly on bad/no roads, so would you recommend me to go for the Michelin P3ST like you did?
Are there any tires with a larger sidewall than the OEM spec? I ask so, because the ride is too bouncy & jarring even on slightly undulated surfaces.
I dropped the tyre pressure to 31 PSI yesterday & found the ride to have improved quite a bit, but then went back to 33 PSI fearing any damage to the sidewall.
Aesthetics was not the reason but performance, i'd rather keep it off the forum for now as the logic behind it wont be understood by most. But what i was aiming for with the upgrade in wheel size it worked.

Compared to 215 55 17, the 225 55 17 gives a wee bit more sidewall. But not much.

Im running much higher pressures in mine, dont go lower than OE its risky, 33psi cold should be bare minimum.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 23:30   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Compared to 215 55 17, the 225 55 17 gives a wee bit more sidewall. But not much.
Is it possible to use a 225/65 size tyre with the OEM 17” rim?
There are quite some options from Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama, Falken, Goodyear & Hankook available in that size.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:18   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That is too low a profile for a MUV. In fact, even the SUV's appear to follow the trend. [Fortuner 265/65 R17 to 265/60 R18 and Scorpio 235/70 R16 to 235/65 R17]
You are absolutely right, sir.
However, Tata Motors never followed this trend while transitioning from the Safari DiCOR to the Safari Storme. They continued to use the 253/70 R16 tyre size throughout, and that is one of the reasons why the car eats up broken roads without too much drama.

The one thing that I am wondering about ever since I test drove the Tata Hexa was the better ride quality on the 235/55 R19 wheels on the XT variant when compared to the 235/70 R16 wheels on the XE & XM variant.
How can this be possible with a smaller sidewall and such huge wheels?

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd January 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Quoted text edited
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:41   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Curious, but wondering if it is an issue with size 215/55 supplied by Toyota or with Bridgestone Turanza make or the specific batch of stock Bridgestone Turanza tyres?
When the 17" sidewall cracking issues were first reported on team-bhp, I too thought so. I explicitly asked this question to the members who faced this problem and figured out that the problem existed with multiple brands.

Quote:
Maybe a basic question, but the reason for my curiosity is my 2012 Honda City had tyre issues (bubbles developing on the walls) with new stock MRFs supplied as OEM. Even after MRF replaced the tyres (at nominal cost after deducting depreciation), issue persisted. Finally I paid in full and got Yokohama tyres. Very happy with them.
MRF tyres are notorious for those bubbles. We faced the same issue on our old Maruti Zen.

Quote:
I had asked this specific question (regarding tyre issues reported by consumers on 17" alloys) to the SA at Toyota when I was looking for an Innova, but was convinced by the Toyota sales staff that it was a known issue in the past and that Toyota had now researched and rectified the tyre issue.
I too did the same thing. Toyota seems to have given communication to all sales team that the issue has been rectified.

Quote:
Also, tried researching on the topic and do not see any newer complaints on forums. Most of the posted complaints on other forums are from December 2016 thru' first quarter of 2017.
In fact, for the old customers, the issue still seems to persist. I remember seeing bhpian - @samabhi's post recently. I don't exactly remember whether it was the braking issue or the tyre issue which he reported.

For the newer customers, the issue would be non-existent since Toyota changed all the tyre size back to 16" from January 2017 till start of September 2017. They re-introduced 17" in September and now I'm one of those unlucky ones who is stuck with the 17"

Quote:
After reading your post, in retrospective, wonder if I should have considered changing to Yokohama or Michelin tyres soon after rolling out my new Innova.
I would recommend to wait for Toyota to find a solution for this. Once I get back my car, I'm going to escalate this higher up. One of the reasons why people buy a Toyota is for the peace of mind and reliability it offers. All that gets negated if the vehicle rides on a balloon like tyres which can crack any time. The confidence in the vehicle plays a huge part in the decision process of whether to take your vehicle for a long journey along with your family or not. With the current 17" tyres, I do not have that confidence.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 15:46   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
When the 17" sidewall cracking issues were first reported on team-bhp, I too thought so. I explicitly asked this question to the members who faced this problem and figured out that the problem existed with multiple brands.

In fact, for the old customers, the issue still seems to persist. I remember seeing bhpian - @samabhi's post recently. I don't exactly remember whether it was the braking issue or the tyre issue which he reported.

For the newer customers, the issue would be non-existent since Toyota changed all the tyre size back to 16" from January 2017 till start of September 2017. They re-introduced 17" in September and now I'm one of those unlucky ones who is stuck with the 17"
Sorry to hear about this. I had the similar experience when my car just completed ~2000 Kms. The response from Toyota or Dealer or Bridgestone is very lukewarm and they ruled this out citing the reason that its due to an external impact.

Good that you are getting it covered under Insurance. For the insurance I got through my company, only battery and tyres are covered for 50 % and the rest is covered fully. You should take this up with the higher ups in Toyota and get this escalated. I tried my best to get this escalated, but the response has been far from best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Dropped the car for 30k service and asked them to check it. I also asked them to check for the reason behind steering vibration while braking at high speeds.
Got the car back from service and the bill came to ~14k. Along with the regular service, the air filter and oil filter were replaced. They have recommended to change the brake pads for fixing the steering vibration issue while braking under high speeds. There was only 3MM thickness left on the front pads. Got them changed and the discs (which were changed under warranty before) are skimmed too.

I did a long road trip over the holidays and happy to report that the steering vibration issue was no longer seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Correct, which is exactly what I don't see anymore for the driver seat. Wondering if it's any sensor not working. My car's driver seat tracks are changed under warranty and I wonder if it's got to do anything with that.
The driver seat sensor is fixed as well, as they forgot to attach the cables last time when the seat tracks are changed.

I agree that we dont expect to see such niggling issues from Toyota and thats one of the main reason why we end up paying so much premium for a Toyota and that too an Innova. However at the end of it, the response from Toyota Dealer has been good so far and they did act on the issues reported.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 16:10   #1244
BHPian

After Sidewall Bulge in 2 tyres and bend in 1 alloy (because of tyre bulge) I finally bit the bullet and replaced four 215 55/R17 Turanzas to Michelin 225 55/R17 Primacy ST.
After 8 month and ~17000kms with the 225 Michelin shods and I can personally vouch for their marginally better ride quality.
I have faced no issues whatsoever and the car rides less stiff on uneven roads since these are softer tyres and there is a small increase in sidewall.
Controlling the Car feels a lot more confident when driving > 120kmph, and the braking is marginally better.

The tyre is rated at 101W with Extra Load(XL) so you need not worry about the sidewall bulge

It could a psychological thing, but I feel the body roll has decreased a bit.
Will add pictures soon.
Lego28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 17:02   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
i got the same response from Toyota. but my tyre was replaced by bridgestone under warranty (i paid 1000rs for 10% tyre wear).
the alloy however, they said cannot be claimed under insurance unless it s part of an accident.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks