Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 11:06   #1456
BHPian

Re: Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Toyota should probably discontinue the 2.8 Auto models if they can't give proper brakes for the performance it has. I am not kidding.

I thought the issue was once and for all resolved when I got the new rotors (third) and caliper (changed once). But the issue returned once again when I did an outstation trip on Mar 2nd on good roads where good speeds are possible.

I had done my bit to make the brakes cool faster by getting rid of the shield and opting for a bigger wheels for more space around the rotors and caliper and doing this made a little but noticeable difference. But the issue is still there when needing to brake rapidly within a short time span and the steering gets the vibes.

Seriously I do not know what Toyota was thinking when they decided these brakes were enough for a vehicle which has more power and torque than the previous fortuner?? Both weigh almost the same, innova seats 8 compared to fortuner's 7, has better acceleration; but the fortuner gets far better 4 piston solid caliper and larger rotors. Crysta gets a single piston sliding caliper and a smaller rotor (larger than old Innova but still not good).

I am not even comparing with the new fortuner which has far better brakes than even the old fortuner.

Remember old fortuner's brake issue? Toyota upgraded the braking system and recalled the ones already on the road and gave them a new caliper and bigger rotor.

I am actually fed up with the brakes on the Crysta on open roads. If i get a decent job (out of one now) I will probably buy something else which has better brakes and goes as fast.

PS: I did not get this issue after the vehicle was tunes, but I noticed this on the very first highway trip with a stock engine. Tuned or stock, top speed is same as its electronically limited.
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. AND ITS ANNOYING. I do very high speeds average. Exactly after few hours of driving in those speeds when u apply brakes the steering starts to vibrate. Went to the Toyota SC, the replaced the rotors and the pads. The funny part is the service manager advised me to use manual gear shifts while slowing down the car so tht engine braking will take the load off the rotors. He said thats how an automatic car should be driven. SERIOUSLY ?? Just because you couldn't give a quality product you cant blame it on the customer.

Hearing that u changed it thrice makes me feel that i am going to do another visit to the SC after a trip that i am doing in another 8 days. Have driven the car on the highway after disc replacement. Lets hope fingers crossed that the problem is minimal.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th March 2018 at 12:08. Reason: Mention of high speeds + Chat language
computer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th March 2018, 11:32   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by computer View Post
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. AND ITS ANNOYING. I do very high speeds average. Exactly after few hours of driving in those speeds when u apply brakes the steering starts to vibrate. Went to the Toyota SC, the replaced the rotors and the pads. The funny part is the service manager advised me to use manual gear shifts while slowing down the car so tht engine braking will take the load off the rotors. He said thats how an automatic car should be driven. SERIOUSLY ?? Just because you couldn't give a quality product you cant blame it on the customer.

Hearing that u changed it thrice makes me feel that i am going to do another visit to the SC after a trip that i am doing in another 8 days. Have driven the car on the highway after disc replacement. Lets hope fingers crossed that the problem is minimal.
1) OE Disks set problem reported resurfaced and again problem.
2) New disks set 1 problem solved but returned after some driving and was waiting for solution.
3) Vehicle took in and put new disks set 2 and new calipers (first and only change) alongwith brake fluid and fittings.

With the No 3 change it is far far better than how it was with OE disks and even first change. But still shedding KpH from higher than forum unmentionable speeds induce the vibes.

I am on new pads now which seems better but only time will tell. Only solution I see is a brake upgrade.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th March 2018 at 12:08. Reason: Quoted post edited
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 11:41   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
2) New disks set 1 problem solved but returned after some driving and was waiting for solution.
3) Vehicle took in and put new disks set 2 and new calipers (first and only change) alongwith brake fluid and fittings.

With the No 3 change it is far far better than how it was with OE disks and even first change. But still shedding KpH from higher than forum unmentionable speeds induce the vibes.

I am on new pads now which seems better but only time will tell. Only solution I see is a brake upgrade.
BRAKE UPGRADE - AFTER MARKET ONES ??

What about the warranty ? Cos i am still skeptical about the 17" wheel size and the side wall height. Heard lots of tyre burst in this forum and even i had a small bulge in my sidewall at 8000kms and the SC as usual said nothing to worry and changed it to the spare tyre. What if we change to after market brakes and these guys say warranty is void and what if we encounter a tyre burst ?

Quote:

Are you running stock tyres ??

Last edited by Eddy : 20th March 2018 at 12:09. Reason: Merged + chat language
Old 20th March 2018, 12:06   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you running stock tyres ??
Mine is on 225/55/17 Primacy 3ST better tyres than the supplied Bridgestone and of higher load rating.

Quote:
BRAKE UPGRADE - AFTER MARKET ONES ??
There is no aftermarket brakes available (which can be procured easily sitting here) so there is no need to worry about brake upgrade at this point of time Probably when it becomes available warranty would run out too I am waiting!!

Last edited by Eddy : 20th March 2018 at 12:09. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 20th March 2018, 20:25   #1460
BHPian

Quote:

In my case, the new pads only helped for 2 long drives(probably for about 5k Kms). On my recent drive to Hyd, I noticed the steering vibration come back again when I brake at high speeds. Honestly I am lost as what needs to be done in this case.

Even the driver seat rattling is back after couple of months (seat tracks are changed under warranty before). I brought this to the attention of the Toyota Dealer Service Head and he suggested to wait for the 40k service to get these rectified.
Old 21st March 2018, 07:54   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
In my case, the new pads only helped for 2 long drives(probably for about 5k Kms). On my recent drive to Hyd, I noticed the steering vibration come back again when I brake at high speeds. Honestly I am lost as what needs to be done in this case.
Pads don't last long and when they wear out the shivering returns.
I never wished for pad wear indicators on any car I owned, but I wish for one now on the Crysta because it is a hungry beast and eats pads.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 10:16   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Pads don't last long and when they wear out the shivering returns.
I never wished for pad wear indicators on any car I owned, but I wish for one now on the Crysta because it is a hungry beast and eats pads.
What is the frequency at which you replaced pads? I have a 2.8Z and done 30K + KM with 6mm of pads life left. It should be good for another 10-15K at least. I have a friend also who is still on stock pads with 40K on odo.
Old 21st March 2018, 10:37   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
What is the frequency at which you replaced pads? I have a 2.8Z and done 30K + KM with 6mm of pads life left. It should be good for another 10-15K at least. I have a friend also who is still on stock pads with 40K on odo.
Previous pad lasted for around 10000 kilometres before it became like this...
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20171004_201118_800.jpg

I am not alone. Based on driving style and vehicle speeds the mileage each get out a set of pad varies.
Old 21st March 2018, 10:45   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Previous pad lasted for around 10000 kilometres before it became like this...
Wow 10K that is too short for the pad to wear out.. Wonder if there any issue with any batch of these OEM parts?
Old 21st March 2018, 12:57   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow 10K that is too short for the pad to wear out.. Wonder if there any issue with any batch of these OEM parts?
If you are constantly pushing the car to limits, there are high chances that brake pads wear out much faster than expected. There are a plenty of instances in our forum w.r.to other cars as well.

@Sankar I don't know which other car you drive, do you see same problem there as well? I had this issue with my Vento TDi earlier and was unable to resolve(same with older Optra). Post these cars, my driving style has changed quite a bit and with my Endeavour, Crysta, Ecosport(now sold) I am yet to notice this issue. I am a sedate driver for 70% of the time and push only when required. May be that is why I am not seeing issue in my Crysta or may be something to do with new design? Is there any difference you spot w.r.to below image?
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-rotor.jpg

Last edited by PrideRed : 21st March 2018 at 13:00.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:31   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

One more important reason for the premature brake pad wear could be the lack of engine braking on the automatic variant of the crysta. I've observed that almost every time I take my foot of the accelerator, the engine RPM drops close to idle rpm with no engine braking. I think this is because the automatic crysta aggressively up shifts when there's no accelerator input. So, when you have to brake you are doing that without the help of engine braking.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 13:56   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If you are constantly pushing the car to limits, there are high chances that brake pads wear out much faster than expected. There are a plenty of instances in our forum w.r.to other cars as well.

@Sankar I don't know which other car you drive, do you see same problem there as well? I had this issue with my Vento TDi earlier and was unable to resolve(same with older Optra). Post these cars, my driving style has changed quite a bit and with my Endeavour, Crysta, Ecosport(now sold) I am yet to notice this issue. I am a sedate driver for 70% of the time and push only when required. May be that is why I am not seeing issue in my Crysta or may be something to do with new design? Is there any difference you spot w.r.to below image?
Attachment 1744019
It looks the same, I am having the new rotors which look as a good as yours in the photo. I am told the material was changed. Also noticed that compared to the set I had when I bought the vehicle the current one I have doesn't shed as much brake dust.

Btw the rotors in that photo looks glazed. Mine does not look glazed like that in the photo, its smooth but not glazed.

Yours is a 2.4 manual, the automatic doesn't have engine braking as pointed out by amalji and that is one of the reasons. The 2.8 auto needs better brakes. I think both 2.4 MT and 2.8AT comes with same set.

Other cars I drove with a similar driving style included Unichipped 1.4 Swift, remapped Swift VDI, remapped Polo GT TDI and a remapped Vento TDI (bought from a friend) and a stock MK1 Octavia RS. All manuals.

None of the above had a set of brakes which was as bad as this. Polo/Vento had brake rotor issues (steering shake while braking) and the rotor was skimmed in Polo and changed in Vento and the issue was resolved and never came back til I had those with me. And in stock trim all of the above had ample brakes which was capable enough even when remapped. The best brakes of the above lot was of the Octavia RS which was too good at shedding speed without drama.

But none of them vehicles gave me underbraked feel like the Crysta when braking repeatedly. This is the first time I am complaining about the brakes of a car I own.

Edit: Mine's also glazed. It's smooth but glazed.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180321_140630.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 21st March 2018 at 14:15.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 22:37   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
I got the pads replaced at 30k and there was 3mm left. Service Centre guys suggested to get the pads replaced as I complained about the steering vibration again.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:32   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Toyota should probably discontinue the 2.8 Auto models if they can't give proper brakes for the performance it has. I am not kidding.

I thought the issue was once and for all resolved when I got the new rotors (third) and caliper (changed once). But the issue returned once again when I did an outstation trip on Mar 2nd on good roads where good speeds are possible.

I had done my bit to make the brakes cool faster by getting rid of the shield and opting for a bigger wheels for more space around the rotors and caliper and doing this made a little but noticeable difference. But the issue is still there when needing to brake rapidly within a short time span and the steering gets the vibes.

Seriously I do not know what Toyota was thinking when they decided these brakes were enough for a vehicle which has more power and torque than the previous fortuner?? Both weigh almost the same, innova seats 8 compared to fortuner's 7, has better acceleration; but the fortuner gets far better 4 piston solid caliper and larger rotors. Crysta gets a single piston sliding caliper and a smaller rotor (larger than old Innova but still not good).

I am not even comparing with the new fortuner which has far better brakes than even the old fortuner.

Remember old fortuner's brake issue? Toyota upgraded the braking system and recalled the ones already on the road and gave them a new caliper and bigger rotor.

I am actually fed up with the brakes on the Crysta on open roads. If i get a decent job (out of one now) I will probably buy something else which has better brakes and goes as fast.

PS: I did not get this issue after the vehicle was tunes, but I noticed this on the very first highway trip with a stock engine. Tuned or stock, top speed is same as its electronically limited.
I faced similar issue on my Crysta 2.8 Z aswell. When car was back from 5k kms checkup, few days later noticed steering was vibrating and brakes shudder was present. To fix this issue I got the wheel alignment and balancing done from a reputed tyre shop. This reduced the issue to great extend but slowly vibrations and break shudder popped again. Fixed an appointment with Sharayu Toyota, Pune and got the rotors and break pads replaced under warranty. Have covered 8k kms since then and the issue is completely solved and I am happy with the car. As per service advisor, this issue was reported by many owners and same was the case with many initial type 2 Innovas in 2009.

On the other side, while I was just observing the foglamps, noticed my foglamp reflectors are melting. I removed the bulbs, and to my shock they are H16 units with merely 19W to offer. How can MPV which spends most time on highways have such pathetic foglamps? Toyota in order to cut costs has provided plastic reflectors which can’t even handle heat produced by those small 19W bulbs. I will raise this issue and get them replaced under warranty when car goes to 15k scheduled checkup anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-58d8bde1effa4294886f16b1cdfdabd3.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-3091c58d7cbe49f2812a2e2c71aa9697.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-c562f2a280954b2d9cc84ae0108747f9.jpeg  

ShubhamGhute is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:01   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShubhamGhute View Post
I faced similar issue on my Crysta 2.8 Z aswell. When car was back from 5k kms checkup, few days later noticed steering was vibrating and brakes shudder was present. To fix this issue I got the wheel alignment and balancing done from a reputed tyre shop. This reduced the issue to great extend but slowly vibrations and break shudder popped again. Fixed an appointment with Sharayu Toyota, Pune and got the rotors and break pads replaced under warranty. Have covered 8k kms since then and the issue is completely solved and I am happy with the car. As per service advisor, this issue was reported by many owners and same was the case with many initial type 2 Innovas in 2009.
I am also happy with the vehicle except for its brakes. The 3rd set of rotors, pads and calipers are far far better than what I got with the vehicle in 2016. But still these are not 100% ok. If the Crysta did not have this much power then it would have been perfectly fine. And here mine is pushing 50% torque and still on these brakes

The number of people reporting brake issue with the Crysta is just too many, within teambhp itself there are many and tbhp represents only a fraction of the total number of owners.

Quote:
On the other side, while I was just observing the foglamps, noticed my foglamp reflectors are melting. I removed the bulbs, and to my shock they are H16 units with merely 19W to offer. How can MPV which spends most time on highways have such pathetic foglamps? Toyota in order to cut costs has provided plastic reflectors which can’t even handle heat produced by those small 19W bulbs. I will raise this issue and get them replaced under warranty when car goes to 15k scheduled checkup anytime soon.
Get it replaced and use Philips H11 LED in fog lights, the illumination is far better than those H16 bulbs and there will be less heat inside the lamps.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks