Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:46   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Whenever there is an opportunity for price hike, Toyota is always first in line. This time around I am not hearing any news from the big T. Manufacturers like Honda, Tata, Nissan, Skoda etc. have already hiked prices. My friend is planning to buy Crysta and is in look out for information on price hike!
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 22:39   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I am also happy with the vehicle except for its brakes.
Hey Toyota here is a reminder...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1849241
Old 24th March 2018, 18:19   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday received a phone call from a lady who said she is calling from TKM. Since I don't speak Tamil I asked them to call back in English/Malayalam. That call never came but anyways I don't know if the number is genuine, truecaller says it belongs to a bar

Today took the car on our bypass road and within 30 mins of driving with some hard braking the steering shake returned. For company had a fellow Crysta owner from Alapuzha and he also saw it himself.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th March 2018 at 17:35. Reason: Removing telephone number as it might be a private number. Thanks!
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 11:33   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Did some productive things over the weekend. First, got my Crysta steering wheel, door pads and armrest wrapped in leather. Two, test drove Hexa again.
My friend is planning to buy a MUV and was considering Hexa and Innova. We went in my car to Tata showroom. He was quite happy with Innova barring the gear lever. We got Hexa AT to test drive immediately. We test drove through Graphite- Whitefield and back. Next he drove my Crysta on same stretch.
Here are the observations:

1. On a flat/good road there is hardly any difference to ride quality between both.
2. On bad patches Hexa cruises faster and has a plusher ride.
3. On Graphite turn, Crysta felt much more composed and with lesser body roll. Extra 300 Kilos of Hexa made its presence.
4. Accessing 3rd row was much easier in Crysta.
5. 3rd row seats do not flat fold in Hexa, a big downer.
6. Biggest surprise my friend had was with engine. He could not believe Hexa makes 400NM of torque. It felt lazy, dull in comparison.
7. Aftermarket speakers in my Crysta sounded a better than Hexa's stock speakers.
8. Hexa being heavier also felt more solid than Innova.
9. XTA's dashboard felt more richer than my humble GX dashboard. That said he found quality of materials to be good for base version(Note: I have added wood/silver finish trims).
10.The leg room at rear was marginally better in Innova. The front passenger seat leg space was very narrow in Hexa.

Summarizing my Friends opinion
Crysta sells so much not just because of its heritage or Toyota badge but as a product, it betters Hexa. Yes, the Hexa is close but loses out in many department and betters in few. Now the Crysta costs more, but with it comes Toyota brand, resale and better after sales and service. That coupled with better product, people don't mind paying the extra moolah. He is now waiting for Mahindra's new MPV and updated XUV, but among Hexa and Innova, he has chosen Innova.

Last edited by PrideRed : 26th March 2018 at 11:36.
PrideRed is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 13:00   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
6. Biggest surprise my friend had was with engine. He could not believe Hexa makes 400NM of torque. It felt lazy, dull in comparison.
The torque and PS figures quoted on a car doesn't make any sort of sense on real driving. What is really needed is the torque curve. I hope, someone pushes the manufacturers to publish this for every vehicle sold as a mandatory requirement. Once, we have the torque curve, we can extrapolate that into torque per ton curve and plot it with the x axis starting at idle rpm.

This is how we should compare engine performance. Any other method is just cheating the customer.

I have seen reviews of the Hexa by reputed automobile portal which says - "The Crysta has more power, but the Hexa is the torqier of the two" which is plain rubbish for 2 reasons.
  • Crysta's peak torque starts 400 rpms away from idle rpm and stays there for another 2200 rpms whereas the hexa's starts from 900 rpms away from idle rpm and retains that peak torque only for another 800 rpms. This is what really matters for daily driving!
  • Even if you just consider the peak torque value for the sake of marketing, it's peak torque per ton that needs to be considered and the crysta beats the hexa there as well.

Last edited by amalji : 26th March 2018 at 13:01.
amalji is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 15:51   #1476
BHPian

Quote:

3. On Graphite turn, Crysta felt much more composed and with lesser body roll. Extra 300 Kilos of Hexa made its presence.
10.The leg room at rear was marginally better in Innova.
I have completed 1 year and done 16000km in my Hexa XTA bought on 13th March 2017.

Before buying Hexa I did check out the Crysta and what I found in the test drives was that Hexa shrinks around you and after a some time the size of the car doesn't seem any more larger than a D segment sedan. In higher speeds this is more evident than in city traffic. Changing lanes is so easy and the body roll is not evident and I found the steering response and turn in very similar to Fiat cars. My brake pads are as good as new and was told by TASS that they seem to be good till 30k or more which is fantastic for such a heavy car with AT. This even after most of the driving being done on highways and I usually drive around the 120kph mark. The gem of gearbox from punch power glide is the reason for that low wear in them. In other AT cars with torque converters when we lift off the vehicle tends to free wheel but in Hexa it's been tuned in such a way that there some element of engine braking all the time.

Coming to your comparison with Hexa the third row may not fold fully flat but in the Crysta if the third row seats are folded the second row captain seats can't be reclined. I felt it to be more of a hindrance in long journeys.
Regarding the 2nd row legroom yes the Crysta has slightly better rear legroom but at the same time the seat base is lower and closer to the floor than Hexa. So unless we sit in a fully extended position the underthigh support is lacking in Crysta. Another major advantage in Hexa is that all 4 seats have lumbar support, a very important feature as no two people have the same body structure.

The Hexa XTA does 0-100 kph in 11.6 sec very similar to XUV and a sec slower than Crysta which is almost negligible in day to day driving.
The lower performance you experienced could be due that particular test drive car, please do drive at another dealer.

That said I agree with your point that the sheer brand value and service quality is what is reflecting in the sales numbers for Crysta. That said Bengaluru is much better placed in terms of service for TATA cars as reflected in the Hexa WhatsApp group. We have the largest number of owners from Bengaluru.

Last edited by damodar : 26th March 2018 at 16:19.
damodar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 16:51   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post

Coming to your comparison with Hexa the third row may not fold fully flat but in the Crysta if the third row seats are folded the second row captain seats can't be reclined. I felt it to be more of a hindrance in long journeys.
Regarding the 2nd row legroom yes the Crysta has slightly better rear legroom but at the same time the seat base is lower and closer to the floor than Hexa. So unless we sit in a fully extended position the underthigh support is lacking in Crysta. Another major advantage in Hexa is that all 4 seats have lumbar support, a very important feature as no two people have the same body structure.

The Hexa XTA does 0-100 kph in 11.6 sec very similar to XUV and a sec slower than Crysta which is almost negligible in day to day driving.
The lower performance you experienced could be due that particular test drive car, please do drive at another dealer.

That said I agree with your point that the sheer brand value and service quality is what is reflecting in the sales numbers for Crysta. That said Bengaluru is much better placed in terms of service for TATA cars as reflected in the Hexa WhatsApp group. We have the largest number of owners from Bengaluru.
Yes the body roll is controlled but my point was Crysta betters here. I don't know about captain seats but, the bench seats fold to decent extent even with third row fold. Yes, they might not recline beyond 30-45 degrees(haven't tried them). The engine in Hexa is definitely above average and by no means is under powered but does not feel as lively as the one in Crysta. The Hexa excels in certain areas and no two words about that. Similarly there are areas which Crysta betters and MUV buying population recognize that. As you summarized brand value,service coupled with product advantages what helps Crysta and not just the former two.

Last edited by PrideRed : 26th March 2018 at 16:52.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 17:09   #1478
BHPian

Quote:

1. On a flat/good road there is hardly any difference to ride quality between both.
2. On bad patches Hexa cruises faster and has a plusher ride.
4. Accessing 3rd row was much easier in Crysta.
7. Aftermarket speakers in my Crysta sounded a better than Hexa's stock speakers.
8. Hexa being heavier also felt more solid than Innova.
9. XTA's dashboard felt more richer than my humble GX dashboard. That said he found quality of materials to be good for base version(Note: I have added wood/silver finish trims).
10.The leg room at rear was marginally better in Innova. The front passenger seat leg space was very narrow in Hexa.
1. There is no significant difference between both on well asphalted smooth roads. NVH is marginally harsh in Crysta.
2. Yes. Bad patches Hexa has a plusher ride. And that is the USP of Hexa.
3. I live in Graphite India area and in the turn towards ITPL, I feel body roll in Hexa. Never drove Crysta in that turn, so can not comment.
4. Accessing 3rd row is comparatively difficult in Hexa. But, once you are in, that is a better place than Crysta's 3rd Row
5. Third rows doesn't fold flat. But luggage placed there doesn't move an inch. I have driven with a 100+ kg machine placed over folded 3rd row seat from Pune to Puttur, via Bangalore. The machine stayed put.
6. Real life driving doesn't make much difference. But Hexa doesn't feel lethargic in any ways.
7. 'Aftermarket' speakers will / may sound much better. But, at the stock form, Hexa excels in this department.
8. Yes.
9. Even if we compare dashboard of GX with XM (or even XE), Hexa scores better.

10. We missed the OTR comparison here. Comparable variants of Hexa are significantly cheaper than Crysta.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 26th March 2018 at 17:11.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 18:36   #1479
BHPian

On a different note, my crysta is holding its ceramic coat very good. Advantages of ceramic coat 1)wash time reduced by 2hrs. 2)High gloss finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180326_175729.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:51   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Re: Normal ECO & PWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I'm not sure about that. I have seen 0-100 kmph comparisons between eco and normal mode and the difference is in the order of 0.0x seconds.

One of the reasons why I love the eco mode is that for normal driving the throttle response is non jerky and very smooth while when I push down the throttle, the car goes mad. So, I get the best of both. Smooth driving when I need it and madness when I need it. So, it again seems to be mostly the throttle response that Toyota has played with even in the eco mode. Power output almost remains the same.

The additional tweaks for eco mode is a less aggressive AC and lesser power assist for steering both of which I prefer.
I made some more observations here. The car was running in power mode at decent triple digit speed in PWR mode, removed accelerator input, the car is now coasting and after a second switched to Eco mode. There was a significant braking felt and felt as if a cylinder stopped working. I am not an expert, but if the difference is felt without accelerator input, this might be more than just throttle response.
Old 5th April 2018, 11:12   #1481
BHPian

Any pointers towards a good quality sunshade for Crysta. Is it available as the Toyota genuine accessory?
Old 10th April 2018, 17:06   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
Any pointers towards a good quality sunshade for Crysta. Is it available as the Toyota genuine accessory?
I don't remember seeing one in their catalogue. You might want to try magnetic strip one's which is available for almost all models. Toyota genuine accessory for Crysta mostly includes Chrome stuff!
Old 10th April 2018, 17:18   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Another long distance journey to Shirdi and back in my GX 2.8 has made me a fan of this vehicle even more than before. The AC did a fabulous job cooling the huge cabin in 40 degree plus ambient temperatures and the high speed behavior along with a flat comfortable ride were some of the salient features of this trip. Amazon prime music played via Apple Car Play made the ride extremely enjoyable. Only problem so far has been the rear parking sensors that have stopped working for some reason. Need to get a this checked in the next service which is due in another 800kms.

Last edited by SPARKled : 10th April 2018 at 17:21.
Old 10th April 2018, 17:25   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Another long distance journey to Shirdi and back in my GX 2.8 has made me a fan of this vehicle even more than before. The AC did a fabulous job cooling the huge cabin in 40 degree plus ambient temperatures and the high speed behavior along with a flat comfortable ride were some of the salient features of this trip. Amazon prime music played via Apple Car Play made the ride extremely enjoyable. Only problem so far has been the rear parking sensors that have stopped working for some reason. Need to get a this checked in the next service which is due in another 800kms.
I am sure the defect is due to some other reason but there is a switch near the right knee of the driver's position on the dash board to switch on or switch off the parking sensor.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 17:33   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
. Only problem so far has been the rear parking sensors that have stopped working for some reason. Need to get a this checked in the next service which is due in another 800kms.
Have you accidentally switched it off? I encountered a similar situation, only to realize that parking sensor is switched off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks