Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2018, 08:41   #1621
BHPian

I feel like it's more because people want an LED setup since Toyota didn't offer any LED options on the Crysta barring the pilot light and headlights on the higher trims. I feel like given the price point, at least LED brake lights should have been standard. In any case, let's see if a facelift will finally incorporate LED taillights.
Old 21st August 2018, 15:23   #1622
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

The Innova will always be the "Baap" (father) of Indian MPVs. I chatted at length with a cab operator in Rajasthan. He did whine about the Innova Crysta's high pricing, but said it's worth it. He'll keep on adding them to his fleet because:

1. Customers ask only for an Innova

2. The damn thing runs forever

3. It commands the best prices

4. It's easier to find a driver for an Innova than any other van (his claim)

I think that the strength of 'brand Innova' is almost as big as 'brand Toyota' in India. Recently went to Rajasthan and rented an Innova for 4 days:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-1.jpg

Look at the odo...and it still drove like a vehicle that had done "just" 100,000 km:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-2.jpg

I did what any BHPian would do . Cabbie told me that one with a regular driving licence can drive a cab in Udaipur; I jumped at the opportunity. Told him to relax while I have some fun:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-3.jpg

On a different note, treat people well and they'll love you for it. This is what he sent me after the last drive (hello sir, it felt nice to be with you & your family. I will never forget you. Good night sir). He even set our pic as his DP!!!
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot_20180820090429_whatsapp.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2018 at 15:30.
GTO is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:26   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Innova will always be the "Baap" (father) of Indian MPVs. I chatted at length with a cab operator in Rajasthan. He did whine about the Innova Crysta's high pricing, but said it's worth it. He'll keep on adding them to his fleet because:

1. Customers ask only for an Innova

2. The damn thing runs forever

3. It commands the best prices

4. It's easier to find a driver for an Innova than any other van (his claim)
This is slightly off topic. Sorry ! !
I am not sure whether I am feeling this ONLY because, I am a die hard Toyota Fan OR it is the feeling for others as well.

Honestly, when I read this post from GTO + Cab driver's feedback about the car, I felt, this one post sums up all positives of 108 pages of this thread. This is directly from Horses mouth, real, unbiased and honest (Like our TBHP reviews)

With all due respects to all opinions and comments, irrespective of to logo of the car, when I read some comments in few reviews/replies like (No Offense meant to anyone) Tail light should have been LEDs, the wiper travel is not full, Seat belt is hard, plastics are cheap, key should have been flip keys, panel gaps are irregular, etc, I get this thought. Are they really going to matter, ULTIMATELY either for Customer(Owner of the car) OR for Manufacturer OR dealer?

I am sounding like a fundamentalist, but, finally, philosophically, what matters are the above points for all the stakeholders(Customer, Manufacturer and dealer)

Do our mind haunt to get another ride ?
Does it run with real long term reliability?
Do we get max value for money?

Is this thought for others as well ? OR Am I going to get beatings NOW ?

Last edited by gkveda : 22nd August 2018 at 12:28.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 13:06   #1624
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Honestly, when I read this post from GTO + Cab driver's feedback about the car, I felt, this one post sums up all positives of 108 pages of this thread. This is directly from Horses mouth, real, unbiased and honest (Like our TBHP reviews)

With all due respects to all opinions and comments, irrespective of to logo of the car, when I read some comments in few reviews/replies like (No Offense meant to anyone) Tail light should have been LEDs, the wiper travel is not full, Seat belt is hard, plastics are cheap, key should have been flip keys, panel gaps are irregular, etc, I get this thought. Are they really going to matter, ULTIMATELY either for Customer(Owner of the car) OR for Manufacturer OR dealer?
Why should it be EITHER OR? Why not BOTH? It would be the same Innova Crysta, only improved. Just because a product is a runaway success doesn't mean that one gets complacent. I think the Innova is excellent, but there are certainly many areas of improvement.

Also, don't forget these two points:

1. The perspective of a private owner (BHPians) will usually differ from that of a commercial owner (taxis).

2. The Innova is currently shipping 6,000 - 7,000 pieces a month which is AWESOME at that price level. But maybe, if the product incorporated all the suggestions, it would do 8,000?
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 13:30   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post

Is this thought for others as well ? OR Am I going to get beatings NOW ?

Irrespective of whether the vehicle is a hit or flop, we should always expect solid engineering from the manufacturers. Why not? After all it is a key to their survival.

The missing features and the pricing is the prerogative of the company and its marketing team.

This is irrespective of the manufacturer, I can live with a few missing features or pay more for a higher variant but they should get the basic engineering like panel gaps ,shut lines, safety, performance and reliability spot on.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 19:09   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I don't think it's as simple to add a bench to the ZX as it was in the earlier generation simply because what happens to the middle row seatbelt in that case? As it stands, the middle row seatbelt comes down from the roof and this will require some significant modifications to be done inside the car like opening the whole roof carpet.

Unless Toyota or the dealer can give a bench seat with a lap belt just for the ZX conversions then that's a different story. I still think if the effort for installing the seats is anything besides some mounts, nuts and bolts, it isn't worth the money. One should rather go for the lesser variants where bench is provided from factory or wait it out till Toyota (eventually) launches a bench in the ZX!

If it costs this much then they'd better provide the seatbelt for the middle passenger from the roof!

It is now more than 2 years since the above post was made. Has anyone replaced the middle row with a bench seat or knows someone who has done it succesfully?
Old 26th August 2018, 07:26   #1627
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
I have booked a Innnova crysta 2.7 Gx At. I want to upgrade the rims and tyres from 15in to 16in as in the Z variant as the bigger wheels offer better driveability and looks.
Would it affect the fuel consumption and how?
Also,If anyone has done it,how much would it cost?
Thanks.
Old 26th August 2018, 09:40   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have booked a Innnova crysta 2.7 Gx At. I want to upgrade the rims and tyres from 15in to 16in as in the Z variant as the bigger wheels offer better driveability and looks.
Thanks.
Congratulations to you! If you sieve thru' this forum posts, the 16" rims are very well spoken about, so your decision should be OK. I have no idea about costs though. The fuel consumption effect will be negligible.
Old 26th August 2018, 09:59   #1629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
Hello Everyone,
Thanks.
Does the Gx have 15" rims? Surprised

I have the 16" rims on my VX. No issues. Since you are changing tyres, my I recommend Michelin? A lot less noise

Stay away from the 17" on the Zx - they crack easily
Old 27th August 2018, 08:34   #1630
BHPian

To my knowledge no variant of the Crysta ships with 15 inch rims. The base trims and even the ZX trims for a time were shipping with 16's. Personally, while the 17's look far better on the Crysta, the 16's perform significantly better.

As an aside, our roads in UP are so bad, we managed to blow out a 16 inch going over a pothole while the car was fully loaded. Just pure bad luck on our part, however won't be changing tire dimensions any time soon. Once these Bridgestone tires are shot, we might switch them out for Michelin's though.
Old 28th August 2018, 13:47   #1631
BHPian

I wasn't such a big fan of the innova's seat comfort from the past - (I'm 6ft + and 250lb++), although the 4th innova in the family is going to touch 1 lakh Kms!!

Recently rented a 7 seater (bucket seats) innova crysta 2.4 taxi for a 2 day 400km trip. Was immensely impressed by the seat comfort and the performance of the car - it had no trouble doing 140s on the highway. I believe that itself is a huge improvement from the previous gens.

Now I'm seriously considering upgrading to the ZX variant (either auto or manual). Only small issue I had was the arm rest was too narrow, which means with my big frame the arm wasn't in the most comfortable position to be able to fully rest on the armrest. I was wondering if there are any after market options and if anyone has upgraded to a slightly wider arm rest?
bharathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 13:59   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
Now I'm seriously considering upgrading to the ZX variant (either auto or manual). Only small issue I had was the arm rest was too narrow, which means with my big frame the arm wasn't in the most comfortable position to be able to fully rest on the armrest. I was wondering if there are any after market options and if anyone has upgraded to a slightly wider arm rest?
If you are looking for rear seat armrest, I could find nothing. There are plenty of options for front armrests. A good upholstery guy might be able to do something here.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 15:02   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
If you are looking for rear seat armrest, I could find nothing. There are plenty of options for front armrests. A good upholstery guy might be able to do something here.
I'm looking for the rear arm rest only. So far unlucky finding solutions online. have to ask around.
Old 1st September 2018, 14:39   #1634
BHPian

As of last night, our Crysta is officially halogen-free! I'm pleased to report that I've finally replaced each and every halogen bulb on our 2.7ZX Crysta to an LED alternative. I purchased the bulbs from Amazon and used Philips/Sylvania for critical lamps such as brake/tail and SiriusLED for most others such as interior lamps. Our vehicle is also equipped with the LED accessory lighting from Toyota and I feel the LED retrofit complement it almost perfectly. The foglights are OEM Koito units that Toyota offers on the 2018+ Fortuner/Touring Sport. I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to Sankar sir for his tremendous help with various bulbs. Indeed, the tail/brake and reverse bulbs were suggested by him many months ago.

I'm attaching some pictures as well as some videos of the LEDs in action:

OEM LED Foglights
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_2992.jpg

Exterior puddle lights (drivers side shown)
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_2993.jpg

Door courtesy lights (only one shown to reduce attachments).
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_2994.jpg

Map lights
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3064.jpg

Rear cabin lights/dome light
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3065.jpg

Front cabin view at night
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_2995.jpg

Full cabin view when approaching car
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_2996.jpg

Tail light and brake/tail combo lamp
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3055.jpg

Brake/tail as well as tail light and reverse light in action
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3059.jpg

All the tail lamps lit up
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3060.jpg

Headlights with foglights on
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3061.jpg

Headlights with LED highbeams on
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_3062.jpg

Kindly view the following video to see the full LED headlight setup in action. The highbeams are significantly brighter than the stock halogens and color match the factory lowbeams perfectly. These were sourced to me by a friend in Canada who had an extra set. I'll make some videos of their brightness while driving within a few nights. This video also includes a small clip of the LED indicators I've previously mentioned.

For reference sake, I'll also attach the videos of the LED indicators I previously posted here on TeamBHP. These are a completely resistor free option and are incredibly bright. For the winters, these will be a massive boon in terms of safety.

LED Daytime

LED Evening

I have to admit, the replacement of halogens with LEDs gives the Crysta a far more upmarket feel. Toyota should have at least offered the higher trim variants more LED options than just the pilot/headlight unit and mood lighting we currently get. Perhaps a facelift will eventually bring more features in the future although I suspect Toyota will relegate those features to the more premium oriented Fortuner. We'll see.

Do feel free to share your thoughts on my retrofit, I'm curious to see what my fellow BHPians think about it.

Last edited by CrippledLucifer : 1st September 2018 at 14:41.
CrippledLucifer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 14:33   #1635

As per Autocar India, Innova Crysta now would come with the following additional features with a price bump:

Emergency Brake Signal
Rear Fog Lamps
Front LED Fog Lamps
Anti-Theft Alarm with Glass Break and Ultrasonic Sensor

Additionally, Toyota Innova Crysta GX now gets:

Touchscreen infotainment system
Steering-mounted audio controls
Power-folding wing mirrors with puddle lamps
Speed- and impact-sensitive door lock/unlock feature

Now the GX variant does look like something to be bought which was otherwise pretty bare bone for the amount being paid.

Autocar India Page:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...eatures-409543
PATROL-HEAD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks