Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 04:52   #1771
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
The filter I have in OLX is not for Crysta, it is rather for any vehicle above 15 lacs and I don't see as many XUV's (even Hexa's), it is maximum Crystas! Yes but your interpretation could be true since others sell way less. Even I have a habit of changing cars, it is not necessarily due to rise in income though, it is due to changing needs and passion for cars. In fact 6 cars and 7 bikes changed in last 10 yrs, of course I am a team-bhpian, typical enthusiast!

One more Mahindra NEVA EVA !!! I am done with non-japanese.
If the car is like a boring appliance (which Toyotas are), people tend to get bored and look for upgrades. A car which stays with it's owner for long is the one which the owner has managed to emotionally connect with.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:31   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
The filter I have in OLX is not for Crysta, it is rather for any vehicle above 15 lacs and I don't see as many XUV's (even Hexa's), it is maximum Crystas! Yes but your interpretation could be true since others sell way less. Even I have a habit of changing cars, it is not necessarily due to rise in income though, it is due to changing needs and passion for cars. In fact 6 cars and 7 bikes changed in last 10 yrs, of course I am a team-bhpian, typical enthusiast!
No other 15 lac plus rupee car in Indian market sells more than 6K copies/month. The next best seller I can think of is Fortuner. XUV used to sell 3K(Now selling around 1.5K) but I can see good amount of them available in used market. Creta/ Marazzo start from lower price bracket.

Regarding comparison with Old Innova, without any hesitation I can say that Crysta trumps Innova in every possible department. Only one area where I felt Innova had an edge was w.r.to city drivability, Manual Crysta loses here by a very small margin.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 14:44   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Regarding comparison with Old Innova, without any hesitation I can say that Crysta trumps Innova in every possible department. Only one area where I felt Innova had an edge was w.r.to city drivability, Manual Crysta loses here by a very small margin.
I know multiple people who have travelled in Crysta and old Innova in taxis. All of them claim they found the old Innova more comfortable and less tiresome on long journeys. May be the higher power of the crysta causes the driver to drive rashly or the darker interior theme of the crysta is the culprit. Or may be the older Innova has better suspension ?
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 15:32   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I know multiple people who have travelled in Crysta and old Innova in taxis. All of them claim they found the old Innova more comfortable and less tiresome on long journeys. May be the higher power of the crysta causes the driver to drive rashly or the darker interior theme of the crysta is the culprit. Or may be the older Innova has better suspension ?
This is a myth and will need some time. I had old Innova which had about 1.4lacs on ODO and Crysta as well. Both shared parking space in my garage for about 1.5 years before I replaced Innova with another Crysta.

When Innova was launched lot of people complained that Qualis was more comfortable, reliable etc. This went for about 2-3 years. The Crysta is going through same phase as Innova.

Car to car Crysta has more space(yes I did measure), better bolstered seat, lesser body roll, improved NVH, better GC, can tackle bad roads better. Initial lot of Crysta ZX were plagued with 17 inch tire issues but comfort wise its not a major difference to common man. My In law has ZX and my wife mentioned it feels same as our GX. Agree that black interiors add to a bit of claustrophobic effect, but unsure how it worsens the ride.
PrideRed is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:09   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
... lesser body roll...
It is surprising that you mention that you find the body roll lower in Crysta. All the reviews i have read till now including our own mention that Crysta has more body roll than the outgoing older model.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:02   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
It is surprising that you mention that you find the body roll lower in Crysta. All the reviews i have read till now including our own mention that Crysta has more body roll than the outgoing older model.
Innova can never go as fast as Crysta on a curve. At same speed at same curve, body roll in Crysta is better controlled. I have tried this on same sretch before concluding. The Crysta would easily do 10KM/hr more than Innova on same curve.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:27   #1777

So it was finally time to bid goodbye to our beloved 9yr old M&M Xylo E8 mEagle that has done 80000kms without any major issues. It has served us well and left us with memorable trips.

Our main requirement was a SUV/MUV because we usually travel together as a family and cover 400 odd kms every alternate month to my in laws place. Dad liked the Innova but myself, my wife and my mom were hesitant to spend 24L for a brand new vehicle. No matter which other vehicle we considered the Innova felt far superior and VFM for it's reliability and relatively low depreciation over the years.

1st week of Jan 2019 we head to Palace Toyota, Mysore to have a look and finalize. We were pleasantly greeted by a lady sales rep(Baby Kumari) who explained to us on the different models, the features, warranty, discounts etc. We liked the Z variant but sadly our requirement was a bench seat for the middle row and the Z had only captain seats. Toyota should have offered bench seats on the Z. I'm sure someone who would spend close to 24L would not mind shelling out another 2-3L for a bench seat and additional air bags. I guess about 50% of the owners who bought the V would have bought the Z if a bench seat was offered ! Think about it Toyota.

We wanted to see the car and narrow down on the color. The sale rep took us to the yard where they had over 70 Innova's. Initially we wanted to go for the bronze but a silver parked next to it made us change our mind. So a Silver Vx 2.4 MT 8STR was booked and delivery was expected by end of Jan.

The sales rep did offer to sell a 2018 model but we wanted the updated model that had LED fog lamps, electrically fold able mirrors and intrusion detection on break of window glass.

After a week we get a call from the sale rep that they have a Nov 2018 model that has the same features as the 2019 model but available at a discount to the 2018 model price. Next day we went to the showroom to discuss, saw the car in the yard and closed the deal. At no point in time did any of the sales rep try to push accessories and this is something I really liked about the dealership

The delivery experience was good. We did have to wait for a while as another Innova was getting delivered and the customer was waiting for his son to arrive. Our sales rep did request them to carry out their delivery later as we were ready. Initially they agreed and by the time our car was brought into the delivery bay their son had arrived. We did not mind waiting and we definitely did not want to push the other customer aside as buying a car is supposed to be a very happy moment in one's life and we really did not want to make their experience bitter. After about 20mins our car was brought in, a small pooja was done, the sales rep and a couple of other employees clapped and cheered as I drove out of the bay. The overall experience was very nice.

Our sales rep then explained to us on the do's and don'ts, emergency and support numbers to call in case of any issue, location of important fluids under the bonnet, location of the jack and tools, A/C controls, touch screen display settings and a host of other features. Congratulated us again and handed over a 5L fuel coupon. Let me explain my initial experience with the car in my next post.

Having driven the Xylo for over 8yrs and 80000kms the drive on the Innova felt incredibly comfortable and safe. The Xylo wasn't that bad at all. The seats were comfy, the engine was powerful, screaming turbo spool(I'm missing this now!), very comfortable 3rd row seating, great mileage of 12-13kmpl and a very nice view of the road as the seating was very high. One can see over hatchbacks and sedans at traffic stops. The downside was a relatively hard/bouncy suspension, poor cornering, boat effect due to tall body and high seating and a relatively hard clutch. Xylo is a very good highway mile-muncher though. This wasn't something to complain about back in 2010. Let's get to the Innova now.

Positives:
  • Upmarket looks and styling
  • Gorgeous front grill and headlamps
  • Upmarket dashboard, seat fabric and other interiors
  • Silent cabin
  • Powerful diesel engine with Normal/Eco/Power modes
  • Light clutch
  • Crisp braking
  • Very effective A/C
  • Robust build quality

Negatives:
  • Huge dashboard needs getting used to
  • Heavy steering at low speeds
  • Rubbery gear shifts
  • A pillars are blind spots
  • Slim 205mm tires and a boring alloy wheel design
  • Middle seating on the rear bench is not comfortable
  • Floor bump under the middle row

The Engine:
What a gem of an engine! The 2.4L diesel has a sweet rumble. The turbo is barely audible and this is something I really miss. The diesel clatter is loud at low rpms and I love hearing it. The engine revs freely and has good torque at low speeds. You will never stall the engine! The clutch is light and easy to use.

The gearbox:
Toyota's iconic Micheal Jackson dancing gear lever has been carried forward from the previous model. Gear shifts are rubbery. Gear ratios are nice. 5th could have been taller.

Dashboard:
I did not like the large dashboard surface under the windshield. Looks odd and needs getting used to. The face of the dashboard is very upmarket. A/C vents are neatly integrated and well positioned. The touch screen display is easy to read and operate but the UI theme looks outdated. A/C controls are positioned at an awkward angle.

Instrument cluster:
Very futuristic and easy to read. Beautiful lighting. The MID is cool and very informative.

Cabin:
Very silent and rattle free(so far!). Not as spacious as the Xylo. Door pockets can hold plenty of bottles. Seating is very comfortable except the 3rd row.

Suspension:
Well planted ride. Corners quite well. Huge difference in body roll compared to the Xylo. Absorbs bumps quite well. A wider tire would have made things better.

Ergonomics:
Everything is well placed and easy to reach. No complaints here.

Lighting:
LED low beams are good for city drives. High beams are inadequate for Indian roads.

Overall a very nice product from Toyota and I am a happy new customer

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2019 at 17:47. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:38   #1778

Bought a new Innova Crysta GX 8str. The experience is awesome & the feel is great as it is my first luxury car & the excitement is amazing!

Had a few doubts which I thought could get some light here

1) The engine makes a lot of noise & it’s loud inside the cabin as well as compared to other Innova Crysta that I ahve sat in, Does the sound decrease after the first 1000 kms service

2) Can I take the vehicle for a long run which is around 160 kms from Mumbai to Pune, if yes what speed limits should I maintain

3) The Crysta came with the entertainment system, is there anyway to install gps on the stock entertainment system? As company gives GPS in the VX version which is the same unit

Help and replies would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 24th January 2019, 17:18   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit1099 View Post

1) The engine makes a lot of noise & it’s loud inside the cabin as well as compared to other Innova Crysta that I ahve sat in, Does the sound decrease after the first 1000 kms service

2) Can I take the vehicle for a long run which is around 160 kms from Mumbai to Pune, if yes what speed limits should I maintain

3) The Crysta came with the entertainment system, is there anyway to install gps on the stock entertainment system? As company gives GPS in the VX version which is the same unit
1. Insulation isn't that good in Innova. Once the engine warms up, noise reduces significantly however it is not anywhere close to say a Hyundai CRDi. You can add an engine cover, that helps to reduce the noise to some extent.
2. You should be good to go on 160KM trip. Maintain speeds of 80. Occasional high speed blips should not be a problem. I drove 320KM straight out of the showroom.
3. I don't think you can add GPS to existing system. It lack's In-Display USB option present in VX/ZX. You might have to replace the entire unit. The unit in Crysta is all show no go.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 17:44   #1780

Quote:
1. Insulation isn't that good in Innova. Once the engine warms up, noise reduces significantly however it is not anywhere close to say a Hyundai CRDi. You can add an engine cover, that helps to reduce the noise to some extent.
Engine Cover where can I get that, any images that you can share would be helpful.

Didn't notice the reduced sound after engine wake up I'm going to keep track of that.
Old 24th January 2019, 19:35   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit1099 View Post
Engine Cover where can I get that, any images that you can share would be helpful.
You can get Engine cover at any dealer. It can be bought as spares. You need to buy along with associated brackets.
Co-incidentally, I too inquired with my dealer about whether engine cover can be fitted and if so what was the cost. The estimated cost including tax is 8600/- and brackets 700/- totaling 9300/-. Knowing this, i was flabbergasted, what a ridiculous pricing for plastic/fibre parts.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-engine-cover.jpg

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 24th January 2019 at 19:57.
cs_rajesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 20:02   #1782
BANNED

Brackets are already there on the engine. Only the cover is needed and two capped nuts (for aestentics) or two regular nuts with washer which can be procured from any auto parts store.

I bought this for my GX during its first year then sold it to a bhpian as i decided to take it off as it traps heat because it works as a layer of inuslation and it is not a good idea on a tuned vehicle. Not an issue for stock vehicles.

But for those who are looking to get it for NVH purpose it does make a noticeable but minute difference by cutting down the engine noise slightly. Another benefit is that top of engine stays cleaner and relatively dust free with the cover on.

Oh and another fringe benefit of having the cover on, it allows to rest the funnel easily while pouring engine oil Noticed it because I always do a second fill with my favourite synth oil after draining dealer filled mineral oil during each change.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th January 2019 at 20:06.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 13:37   #1783
BHPian

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the middle row seats are interchangeable between the 7 and 8 seater versions? If I opt for company lease I need to go in for a 7 seater which I thought I could convert to 8 seater after the lease period ends.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by indivic : 25th January 2019 at 13:38.
Old 25th January 2019, 14:05   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the middle row seats are interchangeable between the 7 and 8 seater versions? If I opt for company lease I need to go in for a 7 seater which I thought I could convert to 8 seater after the lease period ends.

Thanks in advance,
I (& Sankar?) went down this path but decided against because:

- They quoted an insane 1.5 lakhs for that!!
- There could be trouble with cops since the registered car will be a 7 seater. With the new SC directive, this could be serious
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 14:11   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I (& Sankar?) went down this path but decided against because:

- They quoted an insane 1.5 lakhs for that!!
- There could be trouble with cops since the registered car will be a 7 seater. With the new SC directive, this could be serious

Wow, 1.5L for 2 seats + seat belt mounting! I guess I need to look for another vehicle instead of the Crysta , frankly they should be selling it as a 6 & 7 seater and not as 7 & 8 seater.

Most Viewed