Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 08:35   #2056
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Any idea if there is refresh planned for the Innova. It is more than 3 years old now. Lack of Andriod Auto/Apple Carplay is a major irritant with the stock head unit.

Don't see much news about spy pics of Toyota cars in India. Don't they test them here? Or are they that well camouflaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
For reference I get a ride back from tutions every alternate day and that car has the 17s and the speedo on that is more realistic say about 2-3kmh difference whereas mine shows a 10kmh difference always.I feel the 17s are badly needed on the 2.8 especially during the rainy seasons . where the 16s struggle with traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
But then wondering that I have 16 inchers while top model comes with 17 inchers option so can it be that this 5% difference in radius and circumference of tyres may be causing the calibration problem?
I was under the impression the 17" make the ride more bumpy. All the top end Z variants get 17" as per the SA I spoke to yesterday

Last edited by indian21r : 17th September 2019 at 08:39.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:11   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I was under the impression the 17" make the ride more bumpy. All the top end Z variants get 17" as per the SA I spoke to yesterday
Yes the Z variants now do come with 17".I took delivery of my car in march 2017.From my knowledge Z variants between Jan17-Sep17 were delivered with 16" from factory.This was done as a result of the innumerable sidecuts and punctures faced by many owners.

The ride quality is a bit harsh compared to the 16" the 17" transfers more of the road vibrations into the cabin but high speed stability is much better with the 17"

Last edited by TSIVTEC : 17th September 2019 at 09:13.
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:15   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea if there is refresh planned for the Innova. It is more than 3 years old now. Lack of Andriod Auto/Apple Carplay is a major irritant with the stock head unit.
No Facelift planned AFAIK, but both Fortuner and Crysta were updated with 9 inch Android Auto/Apple CarPlay in Indonesia last month. Should be updated in India any day now.
Source:https://gaadiwaadi.com/toyota-innova...inment-system/
Lego28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:09   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Yes the Z variants now do come with 17".I took delivery of my car in march 2017.From my knowledge Z variants between Jan17-Sep17 were delivered with 16" from factory.This was done as a result of the innumerable sidecuts and punctures faced by many owners.

The ride quality is a bit harsh compared to the 16" the 17" transfers more of the road vibrations into the cabin but high speed stability is much better with the 17"
May be you can try 215/65/R16, the extra width should give you additional grip. After elaborate driving I now have started liking 17inchers except for the bad roads. The 16 inchers feel too cushy and 17 inchers offers right balance. The fear of side cut is always on the back of your mind though.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 18:20   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego28 View Post
No Facelift planned AFAIK, but both Fortuner and Crysta were updated with 9 inch Android Auto/Apple CarPlay in Indonesia last month. Should be updated in India any day now.
Source:https://gaadiwaadi.com/toyota-innova...inment-system/

I wonder if it'll be possible to retrofit this on existing cars. My gut feeling says no simply because of the intricacies involved as well as the obvious price. Android Auto/Apple Car Play are an absolute must for any cars out on the road today. I am aware of aftermarket solutions but actively avoiding those since they will likely void warranty.
Old 18th September 2019, 20:51   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
I wonder if it'll be possible to retrofit this on existing cars. My gut feeling says no simply because of the intricacies involved as well as the obvious price. Android Auto/Apple Car Play are an absolute must for any cars out on the road today. I am aware of aftermarket solutions but actively avoiding those since they will likely void warranty.

I am eagerly awaiting the new system. Looking forward to replacing the existing system on my 1 year old 2.8Z AT. Hoping it is a simple switch.
Old 19th September 2019, 10:36   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
When I checked with the SA he said no updates planned till BS VI release. And at that time prices are expected to go up by 4 to 6 lakhs for Innova. ( I think they are clueless and are quoting random numbers to push the current lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
I wonder if it'll be possible to retrofit this on existing cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post
I am eagerly awaiting the new system. Looking forward to replacing the existing system on my 1 year old 2.8Z AT. Hoping it is a simple switch.
As far as the system goes it is a direct replacement with physical buttons making way for the additional 2" screen size. Only doubt is the wiring part.
Old 19th September 2019, 15:53   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I checked with the SA he said no updates planned till BS VI release. And at that time prices are expected to go up by 4 to 6 lakhs for Innova. ( I think they are clueless and are quoting random numbers to push the current lot.
Toyota have said that they will launch BS6 Innova & Fortuner in 4th quarter of 2019-2020.

While the price increase of 3-4 lakhs is speculative, if it becomes reality, car will be even more overpriced. May I ask this question, will this Crysta be a replacement for VW Jetta.

I have striked off Seltos & Hector. Don't want Harrier.
Old 19th September 2019, 18:02   #2064

Quote:
Hi SJMaverick,
I have a 2.8Z and i have upgraded the Audio as follows:
===
Makes the SQ substantially better
Hello Everyone

Despite spending days I am still trying to get the right upgrade for ICE in my Innova, recent changes are as follows:

1. As suggested by Lego28, sound proofing done on all 4 doors. Sound quality improved multi fold with less vibration and better MID/Low
2. Dumped Pioneer DSP as it was not producing desired results with Stock HU.

I am now shifting to old ways of simple set up (Working well in my Skoda Rapid since last 8 years) with Sony/Pioneer/JVC Head Unit, connected with a 4 channel amp and Rockford components on all 4 door. Kindly note that Amplifier and Components are already installed.

Can someone guide me to pick one of the following HU :

1. JVC KW-M740BT (Approx Rs 17800)
2. Sony XAV-AX5000 or AX3000 (Rs 15000 and Rs 18500 Respectively)
3. Pioneer 5290BT (Rs 21000)

Maximum Budget Rs 21,000/-

Many thanks in advance

Above Prices are approximation,
Old 20th September 2019, 16:57   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Toyota have said that they will launch BS6 Innova & Fortuner in 4th quarter of 2019-2020.

May I ask this question, will this Crysta be a replacement for VW Jetta.
This car was to be a replacement for our Innova. Right now there does not seem to be a comparable alternative to Innova.
Old 20th September 2019, 18:07   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmaverick View Post
Maximum Budget Rs 21,000/-
For that budget, go for a good DSP. I am using Mosconi Gladen 4 to 6 and i am more than Glad i did. Since you're in Faridabad, you can listen to how my stock HU sounds the next time youComet to Delhi before plonking money on anything.
You already have the Stock HU, and it is CanBus connected. It Shows the mileage/DTE and has options to change color/other car specific settings from the HU. i will strongly suggest against getting it changed.
Lego28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:34   #2067
BHPian

Booked Crysta 2.4 GX 8 seater White color yesterday.
Exchanged with my Innova 2011 2.5 G1 8 seater 85K run.

Got only 30K exchange bonus + 30K corp discount and some additional discount on accessories.

Thanks
kavu75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 00:52   #2068
BHPian

Hi everyone, my 2.8 G Crysta completed 28000 kms within 7 months of purchase. The best part with the vehicle is, it's the favourite choice for everyone in the family for outings.

I am still running on stock brake pads. Express Maintenance service of Toyota gives me peace of mind because I don't leave the premises during service schedule. I am getting an average of 10.5 to 11 kmpl in both city and highways combined.

My only request to Toyota is to increase the capacity of fuel tank. Crysta does a good job of munching miles on highways. 50 litre tank is not comfortable enough. I wish someone in their development and feedback team consider this and provide us a 70 litre tank.

2.8 engine, power mode activated, 7 healthy adults on board with luggage, in ghats (like Tirupathy) Crysta outshines other MPVs.

Overall a happy owner of Crysta.

Regards,
Drpavan.
drpavan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 11:02   #2069
BANNED

3.5 years & 54000Kms

Completed 3 and a half years and about 54000Kms so far. This is the list of customisation I have done and got done on the vehicle. The order is not chronological, most have been done atleast an year ago.
  1. Bilstein dampers and OEM springs. Greatly improves handling on open roads and twisties. Completely cuts the roll felt inside the vehicle which can be uncomfortable to some. Negatives suspension is a bit harsh on lower speeds and broken roads.
  2. Replaced the stock 16inch wheel with OEM17inch wheel and Michelin P3ST 101W 225/55/17 tyres early in the second year of ownership. The vehicle have seen all kind of roads since then to no roads, have taken potholes at speeds, have flown over broken piece of tarmac but so far no issues. Touch wood. I maintain slightly higher pressures than normal maybe thats why. Anyway this is the second time I am getting impressed my Michelin and would probably never look at another brand.
  3. Full genuine leather perforated custom shade OEM style seats by Saddles India. Transformed the insides of the car it looks good, is very comfortable on long trips.
  4. Cruise control retrofit in GX auto, did it myself using OEM parts sourced from toyota. Works like in ZX.
  5. Paddle shift from Fortuner retrofit, again did it myself using OEM parts sourced from Toyota. Works in S mode just like in Fortuner.
  6. Full LED headlight conversion. Genuine Philips 24W each LED for high beam in reflector and 22W each LED for low beam in reflector. No glare since the bulbs are designed for reflector lamps and provide good illumination. Fog lights also have Philips LED in them, the 11W one sold here by Philips India. Front park lamp is not the usual 1W philips but a higher wattage Philips LED and it is very bright. The lamp or holder was not modified for this.
  7. The hatch light of GX has only reverse lamps on it and the park light has no bulb, this was rectified in the early days of my ownership by myself by buying a set of OEM ZX rear hatch lights and ZX hatch lid wiring harness to properly do it. Actually this was one of the first parts purchase from our Toyota dealer.
  8. Rest of the lamps inside out are also LED, either OSRAM or Philips. Going for an aftermarket LED rear light set is cheaper than the combined cost of the Philips and Osram signal and reverse lamps, but I strictly want to keep it look stock from the outside.
  9. In car entertainment consists of Pioneer AVH8890BT headunit, with fireTV, Sony compact class D 4 channel amp sitting behind stereo, and Boston Acoustics speakers in 4 doors.
  10. On the performance side its running a remap made by self, a supercircuit downpipe and a magnaflow free flowing muffler, which is not too loud. On the air intake side the airbox has seen some mods but is running paper filter. There are couple of autometer gauges to help keep a check on boost and exhaust gas temperature.
  11. A separate transmission oil cooler was installed bypassing the oem one inside the radiator. This has resulted in lower transmission oil temperature. Fringe benefit is avoiding potential strawberry or chocolate milkshake if the OE cooler was to fail like in this Volvo (Gearbox failure on Volvo XC60 at 30,000 km).
  12. All lugnuts are replace with Gorilla lock nuts which needs a unique key to work. Gorilla nuts are heavier than the OE nuts though the latter is larger in overall dimensions. Anyway now its back on OEM nuts as I have removed Gorilla nuts for cleaning.
  13. This has been the most awaited (by me) and as I type this it is on the way, the brake upgrade. A set of aftermarket rotors and pads are enroute and I hope these fit If it does, it will resolve the one and only complaint I have with Toyota regarding the Crysta.
  14. VIOFO A129 three camera setup. One looks out to the front, one looks out to the rear and one looks inside the cabin.
  15. Steering audio controls, this is the norm in current GX models but my year GX has no audio controls so this was also added and is mighty useful.

Well, thats the list, I might have missed some but most of it is there ^^. I have not spend any money for cosmetic upgrades (apart from genuine TRD red gear shift knob and ZX grill), and probably never will. Pictures and details of all these mentioned mods are scattered in various parts of this thread and the forum.

Edit: This list has only mods which now exist on the car, those which have been removed are not listed and those are Racedynamics tuning box, DTE tuning box, a Unichip system, a Kenwood double din unit, Michelin Primacy SUV 16 tyres before i went 17" etc.

Last edited by Sankar : 30th September 2019 at 11:15.
Sankar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 12:08   #2070
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for your Brake upgrades.The Brakes have been the only recurring problem for my Crysta AT since 3000kms,it has done 55000kms till now.
I have been informed by my friend that Annamalais Toyota, coimbatore have replaced few Crysta's with New model brake rotor and caliper(under warranty). Since i havent seen it in personal,i do not have more details.
Did you check with your dealership about any replacement Brake kit (New model rotor and caliper) ?
streetracer_919 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed