Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2021, 18:45   #2461
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Many congratulations! The Crysta looks smashing in black color. Did you get any discounts (cash or accessories)?
I did not get a single rupee as discount. Typical Toyota style
DrANTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 21:21   #2462
BANNED

Rear suspension design is not convincing, seem like there's no proper anchoring point, front part is linked with coil springs and rear part is linked with shock absorber only, it's not rigid as twist beam or multi link suspension. If the shock absorber fails there'll be extreme swing since it has rear wheel drivetrain. Why Toyota?!?!
Old 4th February 2021, 22:59   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhaj16 View Post
Rear suspension design is not convincing, seem like there's no proper anchoring point, front part is linked with coil springs and rear part is linked with shock absorber only, it's not rigid as twist beam or multi link suspension. If the shock absorber fails there'll be extreme swing since it has rear wheel drivetrain. Why Toyota?!?!
The front part of rear axle has trailing arm, so even in case of a shock abrosber failure there wont be any extreme swing. I am having first generation Innova and it has similar set up. One shock absorber at rear was leaking at around 50K kms., was changed. No odd behavior or swinging of rear axle was felt. Just that over multiple set of small speed breakers the rear end would step out, was rectified once shock absorber was changed. Image from Team-BHP official review is attached here.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-innova-rear-suspension.png  

aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 23:39   #2464
BANNED

I didn't noticed the trailing arm, any how the complete pushing force will act on trailing arms, as far as the reliability,vehicle load and price point concerns honestly it deserves independent suspension setup or at least leaf springs setup.
Old 5th February 2021, 00:40   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't noticed the trailing arm, any how the complete pushing force will act on trailing arms, as far as the reliability,vehicle load and price point concerns honestly it deserves independent suspension setup or at least leaf springs setup.
Quote:
Innova has a 5 link rear suspension. Two lower control arms, two upper control arms (triangulated) and a panhard bar. This is a standard suspension layout for a solid axle rear wheel drive body on frame vehicle.

Fortuner also has an identical layout including spring and shock location, and so does a Prado but with spring seated on axle, instead of in the lower arm like fortuner/innova, for more articulation.

Last edited by Sankar : 5th February 2021 at 00:55.
Sankar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 19:43   #2466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Notes:
Steering vibration issue reported to TKM, awaiting their response.
Bumping on an old post of yours.

On behalf of a friend who has a 3 year old Crysta. For past several months he has been experiencing a shudder/vibration on the steering while applying brakes. He vaguely remembers it started after an alignment job, but not sure.

Now, last week while on an outstation trip, the vehicle had a puncture on the rear right tyre. Coincidentally, after the wheel was replaced with the stepney and once he resumed driving, he sees that the shuddering/vibration is gone. He is so sure that it went off right after that wheel replacement.

Neither he nor I could not find a logic here that a rear wheel replacement resolving a steering vibration.

Any thoughts? or comments on how your similar problem went through?
Old 5th February 2021, 20:04   #2467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Bumping on an old post of yours.

On behalf of a friend who has a 3 year old Crysta. For past several months he has been experiencing a shudder/vibration on the steering while applying brakes. He vaguely remembers it started after an alignment job, but not sure.

Now, last week while on an outstation trip, the vehicle had a puncture on the rear right tyre. Coincidentally, after the wheel was replaced with the stepney and once he resumed driving, he sees that the shuddering/vibration is gone. He is so sure that it went off right after that wheel replacement.

Neither he nor I could not find a logic here that a rear wheel replacement resolving a steering vibration.

Any thoughts? or comments on how your similar problem went through?
Mine was a different problem. I had no issues with vibrations until the brakes were hot, once it cooled down there were no issues until it got hot again. It did not have anything to do with the alignment or wheel balancing. I changed the brake rotor to a slotted and pillar-vane type ventilated aftermarket item along with aftermarket brake pads. That took care of the problem for me.

If your friend has this problem come/go away after wheel alignment or changing over to the spare tyre then I would suggest he get all the wheels balanced alongwith a proper alignment job. It does not look like an issue related to the brake rotors. I get the alignment job done solely by the dealer, but the balancing is done outside on a roadforce machine.

Last edited by Sankar : 5th February 2021 at 20:06.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 16:59   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Mine was a different problem. I had no issues with vibrations until the brakes were hot, once it cooled down there were no issues until it got hot again.
Need advise from you regarding this:
At 30,000 Km service, I have been told by the service advisor that the brake pads will work for another 5000 km only, and I need to replace them in the next service (35K).

It was also mentioned on my invoice as "BRAKE PADS NEED TO BE REPLACE AFTER 5000KMS". I don't remember whether it is about front or back (May be they are talking about front brake pads).

Now odometer at 34K, I am experiencing steering vibration when brakes were applied at high speeds (only when brakes were hot). Do this problem gets solved with the change of above mentioned brake pads ? Never experienced this type of problem till now.
Old 6th February 2021, 17:24   #2469
Senior - BHPian

I just checked on their MyToyota app. At 25K km, it says ‘ inspect brake linings, pads etc ..

I checked my older service invoices and I see that I had a similar remark by the service advisor and I changed the Pads at 40K service.

I don’t recall any vibrations on the steering though.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 18:21   #2470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Now odometer at 34K, I am experiencing steering vibration when brakes were applied at high speeds (only when brakes were hot). Do this problem gets solved with the change of above mentioned brake pads ? Never experienced this type of problem till now.
Call up the dealership that did your previous service and ask them what was the amount of brake pads left at 30000 kms service. If it's near 4mm left, I'll recommend changing it since you have already run another 4000 kms to by now.

And ask them about the status of rear brake pads as well during the last service. It shouldn't have an issue though. But to be on the safer side, good that you check that too.

The problem when brake pads get smaller is that the heat tolerance comes down with hard braking especially with a heavy vehicle like the Crysta. So, it's better to get it changed if it's less than 4mm thickness.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 18:25   #2471
Senior - BHPian

And if it’s an AT Crysta, it’s life lasts a little lesser. Atleast that’s my experience with this compared to my earlier MT Innova.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 20:15   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Need advise from you regarding this:
At 30,000 Km service, I have been told by the service advisor that the brake pads will work for another 5000 km only, and I need to replace them in the next service (35K).

It was also mentioned on my invoice as "BRAKE PADS NEED TO BE REPLACE AFTER 5000KMS". I don't remember whether it is about front or back (May be they are talking about front brake pads).

Rear brake shoes hardly wear out and not as early as 30000Km, so they must have indeed meant front brake pads and not the rear brake shoes. I had the rear brake shoes changed once in my vehicle and it still had plenty of life remaining, but I insisted it be changed.

Anyhow if they mentioned its good for another 5000kms it must have worn quite thin (they usually mention this on the bill) by now. On the Crysta when brake pads wear out thin it usually manifests in problems like excessive vibrations while braking and more so when its hot.

Edit:
It may be worthwhile to try different brake pads for a change (hopefully for the better since OE is honestly not that great!). For the next change I have TVS HiPer brake pads in my mind. Two years ago I did not have any 3rd party option available in India, not even for pads. So I am glad that there is a TVS HiPer (supposedly a high performance ceramic compound pad) available for the Crysta when the current set of imported pad wears out.

https://tvsgirling.com/project/brake-pads/

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-brak...mbly-39581316/

Last edited by Sankar : 6th February 2021 at 20:34.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 21:46   #2473
BHPian

Took delivery of my Crysta 2.7 GX MT Garnet Red. Initial observations
  • This is my first ladder on frame chassis car and a Toyota. Loving the commanding view and height. A step up even from the X1
  • Was super confused between the AT and MT version. Finally decided to go ahead with MT after a horrible AMT experience with Swift (had to sell it within 2 years due to the extreme jerky behavior). Loving the MT on the Crysta, 5th gear works like a charm on highways with limited need for downshifts (only if speed drops below 40kmph)
  • Was skeptical on the mileage this 2ton beast would deliver with a 2.7L petrol engine. Surprisingly highway cruising returns 13-14kmpl easily. The trick is not to rev in the lower gears and gradually accelerate till 60-70kmph. Acceleration post that doesn't impact the mileage drastically and the Crysta then clearly marches ahead of the smaller displacement cars on the road. City mileage is yet to be ascertained but it should average out to 10kmpl with a mix of e-Way and bumper to bumper traffic
  • The new Infotainment unit from Toyota is just brilliant. Interface is lag free and Car Play/Android Auto works flawlessly. The mileage and average speed is also displayed on the unit
  • Was considering the Kia Seltos earlier but ditched the idea due to the poor crash test report, Kia's dismal after sales stories and their lack of proactiveness in selling the vehicle. Another customer lost Kia
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210206-10.25.21-am.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210206-9.32.15-pm-1.jpeg  

sid_deb is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 05:38   #2474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Took delivery of my Crysta 2.7 GX MT Garnet. Finally decided to go ahead with MT after a horrible AMT experience.
Congratulations! Must be first manual Crysta here. We do have the manual from older generation and it works well.
Quote:
The trick is not to rev in the lower gears and gradually accelerate till 60-70kmph
Absolutely correct, it sorts of drink Petrol if we try accelerate hard. It’s actually true on most petrol NA engines.

The newer audio does sound very nice. You can add some insulation sheets in the rear, if you don’t drive. I get irritated from the sound of exhaust in an otherwise quiet cabin.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th February 2021 at 05:41.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 06:19   #2475
BHPian

We booked the new Innova Crysta in super white. I wanted to know if the floor mats by Toyota are good or not. They are priced as below:

Fabric (Premium) - Approx 5000
Fabric (Standard) - Approx 2500
Rubber - Approx 2200

I am planning on going with either fabric premium or rubber. Did anybody get mats from showroom dealer?

Or can anybody suggest any other good branded mats from accessory dealer that are good? I live in Hyderabad but I am willing to book them from any city in India. The car delivery is due in a month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks