Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2021, 19:48   #2716
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narendranath View Post
Would the 360 degree camera effectively serve the purpose of the dash camera?
There is no recording function with 360 degree camera. 360 degree camera will give only live feed that too when the parking mode is on.
Will not suffice as Dash cam.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 18:45   #2717
BHPian

Took the top Z variant MT for a test drive today.
Still coming to terms with the disappointment.

The vehicle felt really badly put together. Not sure if this was the particular demo vehicle but there is a massive drop in power compared to the 2.8 AT from a few years ago. The car felt heavy and was a complete slouch in city traffic.

Visually the dash board had some cheap looking chrome dials which I guess is now standard but man what a drop off from the good old fashioned dials. I'm not sure again if this is just me but the new look is garish looking. I was really underwhelmed by the experience and ended up asking the guy to give me a day or two to decide despite having all my papers ready to sign off on the purchase.

nikhil.nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 19:54   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
Took the top Z variant MT for a test drive today.
Still coming to terms with the disappointment.

The vehicle felt really badly put together. Not sure if this was the particular demo vehicle but there is a massive drop in power compared to the 2.8 AT from a few years ago. The car felt heavy and was a complete slouch in city traffic.

Visually the dash board had some cheap looking chrome dials which I guess is now standard but man what a drop off from the good old fashioned dials. I'm not sure again if this is just me but the new look is garish looking. I was really underwhelmed by the experience and ended up asking the guy to give me a day or two to decide despite having all my papers ready to sign off on the purchase.
You are probably the 2nd person in this forum after me who has the same thought, so be prepared to face some flak

People often say Innova= Fortuner, but i saw a huge difference in how the vehicles drove, and how they were put together. And the much touted "Innova quality ride" was literally all over the place. The Fortuner was way better. My daughter and wife sitting in the middle row captain chairs swore never to get onboard one again, and that was the end of the Innova buying plan.

Do not know whether something was wrong in the test drive vehicle or not, but it was new with barely 10k kms on the odo.

BTW the garish dials are a Fortuner specialty too.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 13:24   #2719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
Not sure if this was the particular demo vehicle but there is a massive drop in power compared to the 2.8 AT from a few years ago. The car felt heavy and was a complete slouch in city traffic.
Nikhil, I suggest you take the test drive with 16 inch tyres as they offer better ride quality at lower speeds. If not available at the same dealer then look at a different dealer. Also note that the ride quality on this BOF is highly sensitive to tyre pressure, I have this reported and corrected several times at the dealership and indeed correct and equal pressure in all 4 wheels indeed does wonder. I do agree that 17 inch tyres offer slight advantage with GC and higher seating position, you always change the tyres with thicker side wall that offer better ride in 17 inch bracket, this has been discussed at length on this same thread earlier.

The 2.4 engine in BS4 was more frugal and responsive with the Manual Transmission. As AT with TC has more transmission losses. With BS6 may be the same has come down. But even though the 2.4 AT should still have linear power delivery and is not "underpowered". With 2.8 AT we have more issues with break pad wear if not handled with "care", my first hand experience.

Also the GX AT is indeed a value with the most essential things and rarely other car makers provide in base variant like Android Auto (now), Cruise Control, rear washer and defogger, Electric ORVM. So if you indeed like the Bench Seat then go for GX AT and the more you learn the engine and gearbox response character you will learn the best of it. I was disappointed by driving the 2.8 ZX AT in terms of response after taking TD of the 2.4 MT, but with time I learned how to adjust my driving style for making the best out of 2.8 AT.

Last edited by haisaikat : 10th November 2021 at 13:26.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:39   #2720
BHPian

Has anyone tried retrofitting the cruise control on their Innova Crysta? Apparently a plug and play fix is available in Kerala for INR 7500. Will be helpful to get views from the community.
Old 10th November 2021, 22:02   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Nikhil, I suggest you take the test drive with 16 inch tyres as they offer better ride quality at lower speeds. If not available at the same dealer then look at a different dealer. Also note that the ride quality on this BOF is highly sensitive to tyre pressure, I have this reported and corrected several times at the dealership and indeed correct and equal pressure in all 4 wheels indeed does wonder. I do agree that 17 inch tyres offer slight advantage with GC and higher seating position, you always change the tyres with thicker side wall that offer better ride in 17 inch bracket, this has been discussed at length on this same thread earlier
Thanks for the great feedback! Will have to keep that in mind when I look at the next test drive.

Quote:
The 2.4 engine in BS4 was more frugal and responsive with the Manual Transmission. As AT with TC has more transmission losses. With BS6 may be the same has come down. But even though the 2.4 AT should still have linear power delivery and is not "underpowered". With 2.8 AT we have more issues with break pad wear if not handled with "care", my first hand experience.
We have two 2.8 AT in the extended family and I have never noticed this. I've driven the 2.8 AT on several long distance trips to Bangalore and Goa and both were just superb. I will have to see if I can get a test ride on the GX 2.4 AT.

Quote:
Also the GX AT is indeed a value with the most essential things and rarely other car makers provide in base variant like Android Auto (now), Cruise Control, rear washer and defogger, Electric ORVM. So if you indeed like the Bench Seat then go for GX AT and the more you learn the engine and gearbox response character you will learn the best of it. I was disappointed by driving the 2.8 ZX AT in terms of response after taking TD of the 2.4 MT, but with time I learned how to adjust my driving style for making the best out of 2.8 AT.
Will have to see about this. A lot of these features are good but Toyota is way behind from the likes of KIA vehicles. Two friends bought Seltos and one a Carnival. The vehicles are absolutely superb. The problem for me is that the Seltos is too small and the Carnival is too large. The GX AT looks like the one I will have to settle for. Have asked the dealer to have a look at one whenever they have one available.

nikhil.nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:41   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
People often say Innova= Fortuner, but i saw a huge difference in how the vehicles drove, and how they were put together. And the much touted "Innova quality ride" was literally all over the place. The Fortuner was way better. My daughter and wife sitting in the middle row captain chairs swore never to get onboard one again, and that was the end of the Innova buying plan.
Looks like I might have to look up to the Fortuner ...

Old 11th November 2021, 18:05   #2723

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Has anyone tried retrofitting the cruise control on their Innova Crysta?
Bhpian Sankar posted a DIY thread to install cruise control and paddle shifters on Innova Crysta.
You may kindly check this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...va-crysta.html (DIY: Paddle Shifts and Cruise Control installation in the Toyota Innova Crysta)
amarendernag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 18:05   #2724
BHPian

Just returned from a 2k odd road trip with 6 adults and 2 kids from Hyderabad to down south and what a ride the Innova is! Simply fantastic! Even after 10 hours drive you don't feel a thing. Even the kids were fine.

When you more forward the middle row, the third row is totally usable for even full size adults. And of course there is no need to say anything about that awesome middle row seats.

ODO at 8100 right now.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 13:36   #2725
BHPian

Hi Guys, this is my first post in TeamBHP.

I am looking to upgrade my 9 year Linea MJD to a spacious 6+ seater SUV/MUV. I am not a fan of long feature lists and would give more importance to build, reliability & safety. I plan to keep this car for minimum 10 years if not more. My driving requirements are more inter-city highway and long leisure trips (~2000 kms each trip)

I zeroed in on Innova Crysta 7S Diesel variant. Now the dilemma is should I go for GX AT or VX MT variant! My budget is 25L but stretchable to 27L max on road. Is it worth going for VX variant over the GX? Or if I have missed any other vehicle in my consideration, please suggest.

Need the vehicle before mid Dec since I am planning my vacation this year end.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and input.

Regards,
Kannan
Old 24th November 2021, 14:58   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKannan View Post
Hi Guys, this is my first post in TeamBHP.

I am looking to upgrade my 9 year Linea MJD to a spacious 6+ seater SUV/MUV. I am not a fan of long feature lists and would give more importance to build, reliability & safety. I plan to keep this car for minimum 10 years if not more. My driving requirements are more inter-city highway and long leisure trips (~2000 kms each trip)

I zeroed in on Innova Crysta 7S Diesel variant. Now the dilemma is should I go for GX AT or VX MT variant! My budget is 25L but stretchable to 27L max on road. Is it worth going for VX variant over the GX? Or if I have missed any other vehicle in my consideration, please suggest.

Need the vehicle before mid Dec since I am planning my vacation this year end.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and input.

Regards,
Kannan
Since you don't value features a lot, get the GX AT - convenience and lower cost of purchase - how can it be better?

Only ZX makes sense from safety perspective. Else get GX AT as that is more value for money.
Old 24th November 2021, 16:18   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Since you don't value features a lot, get the GX AT - convenience and lower cost of purchase - how can it be better?

Only ZX makes sense from safety perspective. Else get GX AT as that is more value for money.
But what is the justification for the 4L that the VX variant commands over the GX variant? Apart from features like ACC, Fog lamps, Defogger, Ambient lighting, is there any other safety related feature added in VX?
Old 24th November 2021, 16:45   #2728
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently completed a 750km trip through Madhya Pradesh in two Innova 2.4s : one tourist taxi, one privately owned 2017-18 model that has done around 45Kkms.

While I was mostly in the rear seat, I did take over the wheel for one 180km inter-city drive.

Though we've rented the Crysta fairly often, this was the first long trip in one.

What I Really Liked:
1) Ride quality : Man, this car just eats up the roads! Granted it's not a fan of undulations on the highways but at lower city speeds the car is much more comfortable than many sedans, crossovers, and SUVs. Some bumps taken by the Innova would have seen me grimacing were I in our stiffly sprung Tiguan.

2) In-city performance : The car was surprisingly easy to drive around in the city. I got adjusted to the size quickly, and there was no major turbo lag so to speak about.

What I Didn't Like:
1) Rattles & Squeaks! During the trip we also got to go for a short trip in the facelift Crysta, and also the old Innova. The old Innova was a much quieter ride despite being an abused taxi : the driver drove at a constant 80kmph and didn't slow down for anything! All the 3 Crysta's on the other hand suffered from door pad squeaks and rattles.

2) Highway performance : This car isn't spirited. Best to cruise at 80-100kmph. Anything more and the car does feel a little labored & the engine gets too boomy at higher RPMs.

3) Engine Noise : The engine feels very boomy when being a little spirited on the accelerator. My cousin upgraded from his old Innova to the new one, and I can understand why he called it a 'truck'. I actually preferred cruising at 80-100 and sticking to ECO mode as I found it to be quieter than normal / Power mode. Anyone else experience this?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 17:37   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
1) Rattles & Squeaks! During the trip we also got to go for a short trip in the facelift Crysta, and also the old Innova. The old Innova was a much quieter ride despite being an abused taxi : the driver drove at a constant 80kmph and didn't slow down for anything! All the 3 Crysta's on the other hand suffered from door pad squeaks and rattles.
I believed Toyota Innova was a rattle free vehicle . Anyone else faced rattles & squeaks in their car?

I am just in the process of booking an Innova this week and one of the reasons for choosing Innova was the "presumed" great build quality!
Old 24th November 2021, 18:12   #2730
Senior - BHPian

There are definitely some creaks and squeaks at certain RPMs, for me the entire front panel from left to right, that houses the ac vents, infotainment, climate control and instrument cluster, tha entire one peice panel makes a creaking until I push it upwards from below. Those who know, they know. Another major irritant for me is the front passenger seat, it shakes and vibrates crazy if the seat isn’t occupied. Very distracting while driving and irritating to see if you’re a rear passanger right behind the front passenger seat. If we are sharing some niggles, the headlights are shockingly poor on unmarked roads, during rain, with slightest of oncoming traffic. Have no other way but to install bi-xenon fogs and replace the original LED fogs. Mine is a 2.8 Z AT 2019 variant. Never had issues with ride quality though, even with upsized 225/55/17 Primacy 4 tyres. Currently the odo reads 35xx0 kms.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks