Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2019, 13:02   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

I had a 2017 Ameo DSG for a few days and got to use it for around 2k kms. The usage was a mix of both city and highway. Here is my short review-

What I liked-

1. Brilliant engine and gearbox combination. Just floor the throttle and the way the car picks up speed and cruises when required is brilliant. One of the best sub4m diesel sedans.

2. The company fitted handrest is awesome. No squeaks or rattles unlike the one sold as an accessory with the polo.

3. The Highline Plus is loaded. You get amazing features like cruise control, automatic climate control, one touch up and down windows, reverse camera.etc.

4. The boot even though on paper seems small but is big and usable.

5. The build quality is nice and sound insulation is impressive.

What I didn’t like-

1. The rear seat has poor legroom. The biggest let down with the polo and Ameo. It’s high time Volkswagen corrects this.

2. The DQ200 below 1.5k rpm is annoying especially at crawling speeds. It is eager to shift D2 and keeps slipping the clutch in traffic. It’s very annoying. I always shifted to the Triptonic mode in traffic or on inclines. Barring this one thing I thoroughly enjoyed pushing the car.

3. The suspension is good for city but it’s weird. Very un-European. It gets too bouncy(yes I had checked the air pressure). Body roll is noticeable just like my Corolla but my Corolla doesn’t have bouncing issue(the Monroe struts on it are a lil stiff). Around the corners my Figo’s suspension and steering trump the Ameo’s behaviour. I was highly disappointed with this. It’s high time VW ditches those gabriel struts and goes back to Sachs.

4. Although over the time the design grows on you but it’s not as elegant as the polo or Vento. With cars like amaze, new Dzire and aspire this design feels out of place.

Will i ever buy it? Maybe. It has its short comings but nothing which a remap and suspension upgrade can’t solve. The interior space will remain a sore point though. But as a primary car this is an amazing package.

Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-73d6c796a2d647ccbc3ead2796bf3055.jpeg
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 15:54   #257
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
3. The suspension is good for city but it’s weird. Very un-European. It gets too bouncy(yes I had checked the air pressure). Body roll is noticeable just like my Corolla but my Corolla doesn’t have bouncing issue(the Monroe struts on it are a lil stiff). Around the corners my Figo’s suspension and steering trump the Ameo’s behaviour. I was highly disappointed with this. It’s high time VW ditches those gabriel struts and goes back to Sachs.
The newer models doesn't have the "bounce" issue since they cranked up the wheel size.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd June 2019 at 16:12. Reason: Reduced quoted part to relevant section. Thanks.
Old 5th June 2019, 19:03   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranurag View Post
The newer models doesn't have the "bounce" issue since they cranked up the wheel size.
I drove the new Polo and Ameo recently too. Things are slightly better with respect to handling but the feel from the suspension hasn’t changed much. As I had said it’s very uneuropean. Especially when you bring in the Sachs dampers on the older cars. Wish Volkswagen does something about it.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 21:16   #259
BANNED

Quote:
I drove the new Polo and Ameo recently too. Things are slightly better with respect to handling but the feel from the suspension hasn’t changed much. As I had said it’s very uneuropean. Especially when you bring in the Sachs dampers on the older cars. Wish Volkswagen does something about it.
Well, if you want that European feel get the GT TSI.
Old 6th June 2019, 05:42   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you want that European feel get the GT TSI.
The GT TSi has the similar Gabriel struts. They feel no different. A dear friend and a fellow bhpian has the MY19 Polo GT. I hope you meant the GTi.
Old 6th June 2019, 11:06   #261
Team-BHP Support

My mechanic pointed out a GT TSI, 1 year old, 18000km requiring a suspension rebuild. Substandard components and monroe hydraulic struts.

He put my 2012 Polo on the ramp and you could see the difference. Sachs, gas filled struts and better formed suspension parts.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 17:41   #262
BANNED

Quote:
The GT TSi has the similar Gabriel struts. They feel no different. A dear friend and a fellow bhpian has the MY19 Polo GT. I hope you meant the GTi.
My brother has the GT TSI & when I drive that after driving my Ameo I can clearly feel the difference. GT TSI feels stiffer & you feel much more confident in taking corners.
Old 25th June 2019, 18:20   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My mechanic pointed out a GT TSI, 1 year old, 18000km requiring a suspension rebuild. Substandard components and monroe hydraulic struts.

He put my 2012 Polo on the ramp and you could see the difference. Sachs, gas filled struts and better formed suspension parts.

Can the post-2016 batches be fitted with the better formed suspension parts? I know the shocks & springs would be no-brainer.

Quote:
My brother has the GT TSI & when I drive that after driving my Ameo I can clearly feel the difference. GT TSI feels stiffer & you feel much more confident in taking corners.

The ameo uses taller springs at the rear resulting in a slightly raised stance and that may have an effect on the handling.
Old 29th June 2019, 23:20   #264
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2019 at 12:17.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:58   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Indeed. My 30k run Gt is experiencing some random suspension faults.
Old 4th September 2019, 12:27   #266
BHPian

Ameo Highline Plus DSG in Lapiz Blue

It has been just 4 months of owning Ameo. I have been documenting the fueling of my car and below are few important figures:

Total Volume till date: 401.14 ltr
General Average: 17.5 Km/l
Best FE:19.68 Km/l
Worst FE: 15.35 Km/l

All the above are TF-TE method with 80-20 Mumbai City - Highway runs.

My Driving style is sedate. I prefer to put the gear to Manual in bumper to bumper traffic and at signals (though slotting it to N is preferred when at a halt). I drive 99% on D mode and have used S only during a sprint on the Kolhapur Highway.

Have few doubts, owners/members kindly help.

1. Is it imperative to shift the gear from D to N during all stops? Slotting it in manual and pressing the brakes isnt wise?
2. The FE shown on the MID is no where precise to what I get in TF-TE method. If someone can help in understanding the trip meters (1&2) with the mileage shown, it shall really help. To my limited knowledge, trip 1 is the overall drive and trip 2 resets when the car is standstill for a specific time.
3. There is no under body protection for the boot lid which makes it look cheap and light. My Vento has it and so is there a way to get the same for Ameo?
4. I have a very bad feeling that the parts used in Ameo are highly localized as compared to Polo and Vento. May be it is in my mind but somehow I feel the quality is not as high as it's other siblings.

Planning to do a good long and detailed review with pics of it soon. Till then taking baby steps to know the car well as I intend to keep it as long as I can.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:42   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

Total Volume till date: 401.14 ltr
General Average: 17.5 Km/l
Best FE:19.68 Km/l
Worst FE: 15.35 Km/l

All the above are TF-TE method with 80-20 Mumbai City - Highway runs.

My Driving style is sedate. I prefer to put the gear to Manual in bumper to bumper traffic and at signals (though slotting it to N is preferred when at a halt). I drive 99% on D mode and have used S only during a sprint on the Kolhapur Highway.

Have few doubts, owners/members kindly help.

1. Is it imperative to shift the gear from D to N during all stops? Slotting it in manual and pressing the brakes isnt wise?
2. The FE shown on the MID is no where precise to what I get in TF-TE method.
That's excellent FE for 80-20 city-highway use. Seems like a perfect small car with the convenience of an auto transmission and practicality with such good FE figures.

At stops, slotting in N seems to be the right thing to do. That way there should be lesser wear and tear of the clutch as well as the brakes if you pull the hand brake and let go of the brake pedal. Should also help with the FE too.
SedateMotorhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 15:26   #268

Lucifer is here

Here are the picutures of my Volkswagen Ameo TDI which I have named Lucifer. I have driven the car for 13200 kms so far and here are a few pictures I’d like to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-acd651a5f09d4ac6ad1e2f3e0437fd6a.jpeg  

Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-261a47b865e34a66ba25b9f35eda6ff3.jpeg  

Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-5e423311068049beb11aef7da555c3e5.jpeg  

Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-8e1e8230b2a24fb089d773d1fe0e823e.jpeg  

Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-83ca6d30b765473480c8540841ee8d66.jpeg  

Old 16th September 2019, 14:35   #269
BHPian

After a long time drove my Ameo DSG on the Mumbai - Pune expressway.
This time rather than being quick and slotting into the S mode, I decided to take it easy and cruise on that flat road.

It was a surreal experience, did not feel like driving a diesel engine. Post 2000 RPM the torque assist was impressive, no throw back to the seat feeling as I kept it around 70-90 kmph. Up shifts by the DSG were decent and was able to switch to cruise control at 80 kmph on D7.

The mileage was around 24 kmpl. Tried to unlearn my habit of keeping my left hand on the gear knob and to anticipate the traffic in order to let the engine braking help in deceleration. Still a lot practice needed to make it perfect.

Did not take corners aggressively, but have done that earlier and it was not very confident inspiring. Shorter wheelbase makes it not an ideal corner craving machine.

Overall, had a good pleasant experience of the Ameo DSG on the highways post the harrowing Mumbai rains with potholed roads and annoying traffic.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 16th September 2019 at 14:36. Reason: spell check
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 09:22   #270
BHPian

Ameo Highline Plus DSG - 7500 kms check up update

My Ameo DSG covered 7545 Kms in 142 days (~4.5 months) and took it for the check up at Volkswagen Autobahn Service Station, Nerul.

Requested the below as against the work done:

1. General check up - By the attitude of the service advisor, don't think they did check anything apart from engine oil level

2. Lubrication of Doors: Done and noticable difference

3. Wash: Unacceptable work but I personally have no high expectations from them in washing and waxing of cars (Not only Autobahn but also VW Downtown Sewri, all rotten eggs of the same basket when it comes to this)

4. Tightening of under body screws and suspension: Service advisor was not ready to do it as he said it is not required. Persisted but he was adamant of not doing it.

5. Car on/off buzzer: They switched it on but again needed a lot of convincing. Initially they declined stating Ameo does not come with the function. They are yet to do the sound alert when the windows roll up, wash their hands saying it only blinks and does not have the sound alert.

6. Boot lid cover : He said it is not available for Ameo. Pic of Zest boot which is similar to Ameo for reference only. If anyone has an idea if it can be covered as in Vento and Polo please let me know.

Overall, a below average experience. Oh and they denied drop even though it was under 5 kms.
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks