Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 20:02   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Is there any reference thread for the upkeep costs of a Polo/Ameo? What would be approx. cost for every service?

The price of Trendline version with ABS & Airbags is just too alluring. Is it worth buying under 8-lakh considering poor resale and costly spares/maintenance.
It is not the service costs that you should be worried about. They aren't much higher. At least not as high as to warrant a consideration in the purchase decision. It is the cost of the ad hoc spares failing which can make a big dent in the wallet. Hence it is advisable to go for maximum manufacturer warranty.

There are lots of VW's out there which have crossed a lakh kms without any issues, and then there are lemons too. But lately things seem to be sorted out.

Re: the resale value, these Germans tend to hold on to quite a good value. Not comparable to the Maruti's or the Hyundai's, but pretty good, much much better than the Fiat's and the Chevrolet's.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 22:51   #122
BHPian

jetsetgo08, here you go:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dos-donts.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Is there any reference thread for the upkeep costs of a Polo/Ameo? What would be approx. cost for every service?

The price of Trendline version with ABS & Airbags is just too alluring. Is it worth buying under 8-lakh considering poor resale and costly spares/maintenance.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 23:39   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The VW Ameo has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 5.24 - 7.06 lakhs (ex -Delhi).

What you won't:
• No 1.5L diesel, no 1.2L TSI, no DSG automatic. Period. Polo gets all of these
s sub-par dealership & service experiences
Aditya,
This con has now been address. Expecting a blockbuster review of the new TDI.
Has T-BHP got its hands on this new German beast.
redcruiser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 16:15   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Aditya,
This con has now been address. Expecting a blockbuster review of the new TDI.
Has T-BHP got its hands on this new German beast.
All, Eagerly awaiting a full review of the Ameo Diesel MT & AT. This will be a pocket rocket given how the 1.5L diesel delivers power in Polo, & Vento.

Regards
Nikhil
Old 2nd October 2016, 22:57   #125
BHPian

I have been to the VW showroom today to TD the Polo GT TSI and enquire about the Ameo Diesel. TD vehicle for the Ameo diesel is expected to arrive by end of Oct'16.

The SA did not have a printed copy of the OTR pricelist but the price for Ameo Diesel Highline DSG is 11.36 lacs which is marginally more than the GT twins.
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:13   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post

But the price for Ameo Diesel Highline DSG is 11.36 lacs which is marginally more than the GT twins.
Thank you vijayvelprakash for sharing that info

I was wrong in my prediction that GT TDI MAY not have any takers. If the above pricing is for real, the truth is that its a Double Whammy:

Neither of the GTs will have any takers now !!

Ameo TDI DSG simply combined the 2 GTs into one awesome package, with an added benefit of a snob value called The Boot.
Old 6th October 2016, 00:04   #127
BHPian

NDTV auto has driven the Ameo Diesel. Link
It is a very short drive report which they are calling a review.

Two excerpts regarding transmission and handling

"The 5-speed manual is a familiar unit and the gearshifts are smooth and the throws short, which makes it a good companion, in both city traffic conditions and out on the highway. The 250Nm torque kicks in at around 1550rpm and that's similar to what the Vento has to offer, and this makes the Ameo fun to drive. The addition of the 7-speed DSG makes it even better. The gear shifts are pretty smooth and there's adequate power on offer, even if you have a heavy foot on the accelerator pedal. It's below 1500rpm that the gears try and figure out what you're planning to do and there's a bit of lag in there, but otherwise, the DSG is calm and collected and there can be no complaints."

"However, the suspension does make you complain, given that it's on the stiffer side. The 15-inch tyres are the same size as the one on the Polo, but the suspension setup is very differently. It's, as I said, on the stiffer side and this means that there isn't much travel, which is why, when you hit the potholes on the roads, the Ameo doesn't handle it very well. The 'thud' is a vociferous one and you get a little wobble from the body too. There's a fair amount of grip from the tyre, but not as much confidence going into a corner as the Polo or even the Vento."

Conclusion

"The Ameo with the DSG is priced at 8.41 to 9.31 Lakh (all prices ex-showroom Delhi). This price point actually makes the Ameo 'the' diesel automatic to buy in this segment."
Old 6th October 2016, 09:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I was wrong in my prediction that GT TDI MAY not have any takers. If the above pricing is for real, the truth is that its a Double Whammy:
I believe the GT TSI will do OK since a lot of people hate the diesel for the noise it makes. I personally know a few people who hate the 1.5 TDI for this factor alone.

The GT TSI on the other hand is refined and quiet, leave alone the peak torque delivery from 1500 RPM till 4000 RPM.

I can hear the GT TDI clattering in the grave though. Yes, I feel it's been buried alive by VW itself!
Old 6th October 2016, 10:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

I believe the GT TSI will do OK since a lot of people hate the diesel for the noise it makes. I personally know a few people who hate the 1.5 TDI for this factor alone.

The GT TSI on the other hand is refined and quiet, leave alone the peak torque delivery from 1500 RPM till 4000 RPM.
If the so called "Refinement" is a priority for a buyer and the choice is squarely between the GT TSI and the Ameo TDI DSG, only then will the former have a chance here.

Excerpt from NDTV C&B's quick first drive:

"The 250Nm torque kicks in at around 1550rpm and that's similar to what the Vento has to offer, and this makes the Ameo fun to drive. The addition of the 7-speed DSG makes it even better. The gear shifts are pretty smooth and there's adequate power on offer, even if you have a heavy foot on the accelerator pedal. It's below 1500rpm that the gears try and figure out what you're planning to do and there's a bit of lag in there, but otherwise, the DSG is calm and collected and there can be no complaints."

The way I see it:

- The biggest USP that GT TSI probably had was the DSG and Ameo TDI has nullified that.
- GT TSI will never be known for its exterior size or its interior space. Ameo may have the GT beaten here in the exterior size albeit psychologically.
- GT TSI may be quite frugal by AT standards if driven sanely, but it can never even dream of returning the FE like the way a TDI engine would.
- GT TSI would have surely had many more takers was it priced at least a lakh lesser than Diesel. The only reason people were buying this performance hatch over the GT TDI was for that DSG gearbox convenience, which Ameo offers for few tenths of thousands more!!

I am sure VW's Marketing Team would have some serious strategies to launch this 'Virtually' 3 Box car at the price point of their flagship hatches, but I cannot quite fathom the plan here.

Looks are subjective and the GT looks way better than Ameo any day for me. But then again, I don't represent the big part of the consumer market, just like many other petrol heads here

My guess is that people who are looking at the GTs or the base/mid variants of Vento will surely be quite inclined and interested with the Ameo TDI (MT & DSG).

Last edited by Vik0728 : 6th October 2016 at 10:51.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 19:17   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

VW exports an Ameo to US for R&D / testing !

Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-capture.jpg

Source -Zauba
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 15:57   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
If the so called "Refinement" is a priority for a buyer and the choice is squarely between the GT TSI and the Ameo TDI DSG, only then will the former have a chance here.

The way I see it:

- The biggest USP that GT TSI probably had was the DSG and Ameo TDI has nullified that.
- GT TSI will never be known for its exterior size or its interior space. Ameo may have the GT beaten here in the exterior size albeit psychologically.
- GT TSI may be quite frugal by AT standards if driven sanely, but it can never even dream of returning the FE like the way a TDI engine would.
- GT TSI would have surely had many more takers was it priced at least a lakh lesser than Diesel. The only reason people were buying this performance hatch over the GT TDI was for that DSG gearbox convenience, which Ameo offers for few tenths of thousands more!!

I am sure VW's Marketing Team would have some serious strategies to launch this 'Virtually' 3 Box car at the price point of their flagship hatches, but I cannot quite fathom the plan here.

Looks are subjective and the GT looks way better than Ameo any day for me. But then again, I don't represent the big part of the consumer market, just like many other petrol heads here

My guess is that people who are looking at the GTs or the base/mid variants of Vento will surely be quite inclined and interested with the Ameo TDI (MT & DSG).

There is nothing so-called about refinement.The 1.6/1.5 are tractor sounding engines. Even if the DSG was offered in the TDI polo, I would still have picked the TSI. There is a difference between petrols and diesels.
Not everyone cares about fuel economy, hell that is why most of my friends fill in 97 octane.
These are 2 different cars, for different audiences.
I'd like to end this by saying I just might be a potential owner of the TDI DSG as a car for home, the ameo is priced beautifully, but man would I not want it to be *my* car. Happy modded TSI owner here.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 17:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post

Not everyone cares about fuel economy, hell that is why most of my friends fill in 97 octane.
Looks like you got your lines crossed dude. You are contradicting yourself with your above statement:

"Not everyone cares about fuel economy......most of my friends fill in 97 octane"

Anyways, I agree to the fact that FE may not be the most important aspect of a car owner, but as long as you are not buying Lambos, Ferraris or Porches, it is quite an important and integral part of car ownership, which:

"Not Everyone Ignore".

Quote:

I'd like to end this by saying I just might be a potential owner of the TDI DSG as a car for home, the ameo is priced beautifully, but man would I not want it to be *my* car.
Not Everyone can afford 2 cars with >11lakhs each. In fact, you yourself have confirmed that you would 'Probably Prefer' the Ameo TDI DSG over TSI as a Family car.

My previous post was about what the majority buyer would prefer

I also read an update on the forum that VW may launch 'More Affordable' GTIs in the near future. If this does materialise, for all we know, VW may just do away with the whole GT concept.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 9th October 2016 at 17:51.
Old 10th October 2016, 09:36   #133
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam have tested the 0-100 timing of the Ameo Diesel for both MT & DSG:

MT TDI - 9.89s

DSG TDI - 9.96s

Figo Aspire TDCI, was also tested earlier this year:

Figo Aspire TDCI - 9.72s

So it is only a fraction of a second slower than the Aspire, but it offers something that the latter does not, a DSG gearbox for Diesel and a whole lot more features.

But more importantly, Ameo TDI is quicker than the GTs.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 10th October 2016 at 09:40.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 11:17   #134
BHPian

Polo GT TSI owner and absolutely love DSG (even over manual on highways) nothing comes close.

The DSG in Ameo TDI has me a bit worried. 250 NM torque peak torque at a low RPM (typical Diesel). GB is going to be at its peak rating most of the time.
I hope VW has done their homework on this. To be fair to VW I haven't heard horror stories about Vento TDI DSG.

If Ameo TDI DSG outsells Vento TDI DSG and the GB shows its gremlins, its going to be a lot more troublesome or VW
This is probably VWs Dzire moment. All the best!
Old 10th October 2016, 16:46   #135
BANNED

Don't know how far this is true, a couple of sales chaps have informed me that the manual is tuned to the Polo specs, 90 HP & 230 Nm. This only happens in India, bookings open, car launched but neither the sales guys let alone the customers have any clue what they are plonking their money on. No brochures, what's cooking up VW?

Most Viewed