Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2016, 12:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Mustang 5.0 V8 GT : Official Review

I would like to see people and know about them who would buy this atrociously high priced car. Maximum it could be priced would be on parity with 3 series. Engine is the only thing that differentiates.
I wouldn't buy this even if I had lots of money!
Old 19th August 2016, 12:58   #32

The pricing sure is way too much for a Mustang but think of it this way, is there any other car sold in India at this price point which has a V8 with 400 horses and does 0-100 in under 5?
As for the exhaust note, I'm not sure what happened. Back when I was in US a couple years ago, I could hear a 2014 Mustang GT idling from quite a distance and as far as I can remember, it looked all stock. Anyways, an aftermarket exhaust should easily fix that problem.
razer2911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 13:25   #33
BHPian

Good Review.

Just wanna point out about the tail light. In the India Spec there is no sequential turn indicator. Its a normal tail light with just the last strip of light blinking that too the typical orange. The link in it is the US spec car. Thanks to ARAI they had to keep it that way.

The pricing of the car is pretty good considering the cost of the car + shipment + Import Duty. According to my calculation it would have been 80 ex showroom. And its the cheapest Two door coupe in India as of now. The Germans are all crossing 80 ex showroom that too 4 door sports sedans.
ksgehlot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer2911 View Post
The pricing sure is way too much for a Mustang but think of it this way, is there any other car sold in India at this price point which has a V8 with 400 horses and does 0-100 in under 5?
As for the exhaust note, I'm not sure what happened. Back when I was in US a couple years ago, I could hear a 2014 Mustang GT idling from quite a distance and as far as I can remember, it looked all stock. Anyways, an aftermarket exhaust should easily fix that problem.
I like silent and fast. I don't like people or things that make a lot of noise
I witnessed Dakshin Dare Rally recently - all those Gypsys and Balenos were so noisy and weren't really going that fast. Lucky to have no such vehicles in my neighborhood.

Regarding price - Jaguar F type is a v8? Or is it a v6? And it costs double the Mustang, I think?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 19th August 2016 at 14:17.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:27   #35
BHPian

Amazing review of an iconic car. I went to Kavish Ford near Chandivali (Mumbai) to check the car out. The manager himself came out to attend to us and voluntarily cranked the engine to make us hear the sound. Since I had never heard a Mustang before (other than in youtube videos), I was awestruck by it By the way, the display piece has probably been moved to some other showroom now. Guess Ford is rationing the number of display pieces!

Quote:
You are absolutely right!
If I am not wrong, the only car that is of similar price range, offering ~380HP is the Merc CLA AMG!! But I think it will be an insult to the legacy of automobile to compare the Mustang V8 with the CLA(AMG)'s turbocharged 4 cylinder engine
mrinmoy_s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I would like to see people and know about them who would buy this atrociously high priced car. Maximum it could be priced would be on parity with 3 series. Engine is the only thing that differentiates.
I understand your sentiments, but think of it this way,

we have c segment sedans at 15 lacs with 100 BHP, so for 400 BHP, it would be 15 * 4 = 60 lacs

The additional 20 lacs is what you pay for

# a coupe styled sporty muscle car
# the pride of owning a Mustang
# the feel while others envy when your steed roars at signals and traffic jams
# the feel when people stare at your steed
# the feel when you get off the Mustang at a hotel lobby, a reception/wedding
# the feel when you use the 'line lock'

The Mustang costs 80 lacs but IMO the other pleasures that I've listed, well its priceless!!!

And yes
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:47   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
I always wonder what is the difference between "official review" vs "driven" title in hot threads section on home page?
On homepage, no difference.

In thread title, the main difference is that an Official Review is put through our 7-page review checklist, while the 'Driven' reviews are shorter & more informal. They don't go through the full (and very l-o-n-g) process, yet tell you all you need to know to make a purchase decision.

Every mass market car is put through the full official review checklist. However, very few expensive cars are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
When was the RHD version launched globally? If I am not wrong actor Saif Ali Khan has one one which was converted into an RHD.
Thanks for reminding! Adding pic of Saif'bhai on the first page of this thread.

Saif Ali Khan's GT500 (link to post):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Speaking to the Ford sales representatives, they have been instructed to not sell the car outside their respective places.
Besides the fact that Mumbai & Delhi would be the biggest markets for this car, I'm guessing it also has to do with maintenance. That is, equipping & training local dealers for servicing this beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.kokra View Post
If someone is too in a hurry to own a preowned mustang There's already one used Mustang for sale in big boy toyz

P.s. Just 800 kms :P

https://m.facebook.com/BBToyz/photos...86361885647019
Wow, clearly someone bought the Mustang, but didn't like it. Happens a lot with expensive cars & their owners who have endlessly deep pockets.

Some of the FB comments on that are

Quote:
2mins silence for those who think they couldn't afford the brand new but will be able to buy a 800km driven mustang!!
Quote:
Is this the car which crashed during a potential test drive?
Quote:
Maruti 800
Driven 125280 kms
Call me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust89 View Post
On the pricing front, I feel the hefty import duties levied on CBU imports is the key factor to drive the pricing towards north. In addition to that, the shipping costs, SG& A, overhead & (fat)Margin and other costs involved makes me feel the price tag somehow acceptable.
See, the customer doesn't care if the Mustang (with lesser quality) is a CBU and the luxury Germans (with vastly superior quality) are CKDs. Bottomline is, compared to other cars, the Mustang is grossly overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
This is a simple case of Ford price gouging us. To give you an example - the Mustang GT 5.0 V8 starts at 33995 GBP in UK and the Volvo S60 T6 starts at 34995 GBP.

Both are imported as CBUs to India. If you compare the local prices, the S60 T6 is 42 lac ex showroom while the Mustang GT is 65 lac ex showroom. Go figure!
Well said!

Quote:
Not an 8-cylinder, but the current 530d with launch control does 0 - 100 in 5.9 seconds. Add a remap by one of the big European tuning houses and you'll perhaps shave off half a second. It'll be an even drag between the Indian Mustang & a 530d with launch control. In the mid-range, the 530d will murder the Mustang. Around corners, it'll murder the Mustang (check the slalom figures of both). That's with a bigger cabin & diesel practicality.

That said, give me a Mustang any which day! I'll surely be looking at pre-worshipped Mustangs in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgehlot View Post
Just wanna point out about the tail light. In the India Spec there is no sequential turn indicator.
Thanks man! Correcting.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 15:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See, the customer doesn't care if the Mustang (with lesser quality) is a CBU and the luxury Germans (with vastly superior quality) are CKDs. Bottomline is, compared to other cars, the Mustang is grossly overpriced.
I agree that the customer is going to look at the On road price, be it a CBU/CKD. But Mustang is halo product for Ford in India which means it is slotted against the likes of SL series/6/Z series. In comparison to these, the Mustang does not sound that expensive.
Now Mustang sells in same price band as a C class in USA, but the C Class over there gets more powerful engine options. I feel, just because a car is cheaper in USA, need not necessarily be cheaper in India as well.(The RE 500 which costs about 2 lacs here, costs 3.5 lacs in USA)
While the 530D/E350D would match (or even better) the Mustang, the former cant match the Iconic status of Mustang. Moreover the Mustang is a GT and 530/E350 are family sedans. I don't think Ford is looking for numbers with Mustang in India, instead want Mustang to help the brand "Ford".
To conclude, 80 lacs is still a bit steep, but given the positioning in India, I think Mustang is rightly priced.
PrideRed is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 17:12   #39
BHPian

On the lighter side, when the original Mustang became a runaway success, Iccocca quoted :
There are so many people claiming to be the father of Mustang that I don't want to be seen in public with the Mother!!!
FORTified is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 18:28   #40
BHPian

Wow, wonderful review and boy, was this quick
Although, we all agree that the car is overpriced when compared to US price and the quality of interior/exterior does not match other cars in this price range, they key point is how many cars can give you 400 horses at this price point in India.
May be if we take horses per lakh as the metric, this car would beat almost all other cars across the price range.
Acharya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 21:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Dont worry mate, as long as ford doesn't make it mandatory for each indian to buy a mustang, it shouldn't be a bother to you. Being said that, a legend is evolved over a very long period of time and not made in a day or two. No other car apart from a Mustang and Camaro depicts american muscle image better till date . So dont worry, there are people with lots of money and automotive emotions who are willing to invest in such an icon. If i had enough money at my bank account right now, rest assured that you all will have an ownership review of a mustang by tomorrow evening .
highwaypatrol is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 09:17   #42
BHPian

Race Red Mustang had always been a dream car to me. IMHO Mustang is an Unique design(Polished over years with the current being my fav)...and most powerful car(stock I meant) in this price bracket.

Pricing could have been better strategically..80 Lacs is too much for many of us..lesser mortals, the same spec car in US costs around $40k

But atleast for few BHPins in US, you can rent out a Shelby Mustang GT-H at as low as 199$ a day at Hertz, select Airports..It has a stock 5.0-liter V8 with 435 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque

http://newsroom.hertz.com/news-releases?item=137505

For further details, you can search Hertz website for "Adrenaline Collection"
DCharger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 19:04   #43

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2016 at 10:37.
Garrett is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th August 2016, 23:22   #44
BHPian

Is this a review? i wont agree, this is much more than a review. Superb work Aditya. Read the entire review in a single shot. Beautifully complied, with history, Indian landscape, and the product review.
josebi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 09:14   #45
BHPian

I read thro the entire review hoping to see a mention of a neat party trick. The brake lights alternate as indicator lamps when the indicator is switched on. Couldn't find a mention of it. I saw this during my visit to Dubai and felt that was so cool.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed