Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 19:47   #16
BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic (1st-gen)

A small update on the mileage. My mileage has improved now to 9kmpl for my daily commute to office. Other than that nothing special to report. Its an awesome car that ticks all the right boxes.
chandras1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 23:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
We expected to find 'Petrol' printed on the fuel flap, but there's no such sticker anywhere (diesel gets THREE!).
This has come up in several other reviews too and the reason might be the following: Diesel fuel nozzles are too big for petrol filler necks and hence, the warning sign is when the nozzle doesn't fit in the first place. Of course, an extra sticker is nice but isn't really necessary

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 27th August 2016 at 23:45.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 00:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevadeepan View Post

2) Cruise control - This, to me is one key feature to nail super long journeys with less fatigue. Though it makes less sense in our crowded highways, I'd still want them to be there when I encounter an arrow straight stretch of road with almost nil traffic. I loved this feature in my 2014 Honda city.

Cruise control will help in relaxing the right foot, even if it cannot be used for long distances altogether, at least can be used in straight sections. The right leg becomes sore if you do, say, a 400 KM trip in a stretch especially in cars with suspended accelerator pedal.

With cheaper cars than Creta getting the feature, wonder why Hyundai, known for equipping cars to the brim, has skipped in a useful feature.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 18:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Driving the 1.6L Petrol Automatic

What the gearbox detests - and you'll notice this in the city too - is your suddenly flooring the accelerator. Do this and the Creta AT ends up all confused. The rpm needle climbs beyond 5,000 rpm, there's a whole lot of noise (petrol gets boomy at high rpms), and there's a noticeable gap before the AT drops a gear and you gain momentum. This behaviour is very similar to a CVT and can get terribly annoying!! Kickdown response time isn't a forte of this gearbox. Get aggressive with the A-pedal and you'll also notice the Creta hunting for gears. Thus, it's best to use gradual accelerator inputs with the Petrol AT.

The above-mentioned behaviour can become an issue when you need to quickly overtake the vehicle in front. Sometimes, the gearbox will take ~2 seconds to respond. Enter 'manual mode'. If you want to quickly overtake on single lane highways, we recommend using M mode. Downshift & prepare the car for overtaking before moving out of your lane. You should also use M mode when going downhill. This engine + gearbox combination does provide acceptable levels of engine braking.
You are spot on here Omkar. This is not only an issue with the Petrol AT but also the Diesel AT. Hyundai has clearly focused more on the fuel economy front and this results in a lot of frustration when one wants to close a gap in traffic or make a sudden overtake on the highway. Yes, at times it behaves like a CVT box. At times it drops down two gears resulting in a lot of noise and no significant gain in performance
carfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:17   #20
BHPian

Great review.

I'm constantly amazed at how the Creta sells in the numbers it does. It's insanely expensive and has only private vehicle utility and yet it continues to sell sell and sell.

I've been in the market for an automatic MUV vehicle and so far the options were Innova and B-RV. I find the Innova just too expensive and really not worth it with my current option limited then to the Honda. I would like to see what this Creta AT offers over the BR-V apart from better looks. In the BR-V thread the model has been criticised for lack of interior finesse for the price. Here we have the Creta that is even more expensive and still a little underwhelming?

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2016 at 11:19. Reason: BR-V, not B-RV
aptiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 10:00   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
I've been in the market for an automatic MUV vehicle and so far the options were Innova and B-RV. I find the Innova just too expensive and really not worth it with my current option limited then to the Honda. I would like to see what this Creta AT offers over the B-RV apart from better looks. In the B-RV thread the model has been criticised for lack of interior finesse for the price. Here we have the Creta that is even more expensive and still a little underwhelming?
You should look at XUV 500 AT and Hexa AT too - both are essentially UVs.

I've realized recently that when a review points out certain negatives about interiors/features of a vehicle, it is just to point it out to the readers who would generally not noticed it otherwise. Even if Creta misses certain things that are not there in, say, an i20, the interior quality (both visually and to touch) & features are definitely ahead of its immediate peers in the price range.

The only real negatives of Creta petrol AT are low fuel efficiency (because it uses a torque convertor) and steering (not tuned to driving enthusiast's tastes). On empty 2+2 or 3+3 highways, you can probably eke out a good fuel economy (because of 6th gear), but in the city and on highways with medium to heavy traffic (which requires the transmission to frequently change gears), fuel economy will suffer.

The "slowness" of transmission can be overcome by using the manual mode, so I guess it won't be a deal-breaker.
SmartCat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:57   #22

Great review Omkar, especially on the differences "Old & New" in the new Petrol AT avtar.
I had booked a Red Passion Petrol AT in April myself & was promised a Sep-Oct delivery but am now being told that it might be November due to lower numbers of this combination being released from Hyundai...
Any other members facing the same issue ???

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th February 2017 at 11:10.
Old 27th September 2016, 09:15   #23
BHPian

spare wheel?!

Hi

I took delivery of AT petrol on 19th sep, I got only 4 Alloys, 5th one is normal steel rim please update that any one got all 5 alloys in recent delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
The Petrol AT also borrows the 17" diamond cut alloy wheels
5, including the spare
[/u]
Old 27th September 2016, 13:35   #24
BHPian

My Petrol AT (one of the first in Bangalore) came only with 4 alloy wheels. The spare is a steel wheel only
Old 27th September 2016, 15:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

With cheaper cars than Creta getting the feature, wonder why Hyundai, known for equipping cars to the brim, has skipped in a useful feature.
Exactly my thoughts as well, but then if all features are provided now, then what will they provide when they do a mid life update to the CRETA? I believe the CC will make it to the vehicle when an update is launched in a year or two, until then it is for the people looking to buy one.
Old 15th November 2016, 18:12   #26

Awesome review, especially on pointing out the differences in the Petrol AT version.
I had booked a Red Passion Petrol AT myself which is finally ready to be delivered to me but I'm getting advised on the fact that since I've already waited this long; I might as well wait till Jan '17 to get a 2017 registered vehicle or better still wait till the 2017 manufactured vehicle arrives ...
advise on which option should I go forward with?
1. Immediate delivery
2. Jan '17 Delivery
3. Jan '17 Mfg'd vehicle (Feb-Mar Delivery)
Old 15th November 2016, 18:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruprasadR View Post
I had booked a Red Passion Petrol AT myself which is finally ready to be delivered to me but I'm getting advised on the fact that since I've already waited this long; I might as well wait till Jan '17 to get a 2017 registered vehicle or better still wait till the 2017 manufactured vehicle arrives ...
advise on which option should I go forward with?
1. Immediate delivery
2. Jan '17 Delivery
3. Jan '17 Mfg'd vehicle (Feb-Mar Delivery)
Immediate delivery.

I really don't think there will be any significant difference in resale value. When its time to sell, just put "Nov 2016" model in your classifieds ad.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 19:32   #28
BHPian

Fuel efficiency :
100% city usage, moderate ac, not taken above 3k rpm

8.72kmpl (tankful to tankful method)

Hope it touches touches 10, considering car has only done 650km right now.
Old 8th December 2016, 15:01   #29

Hi team, just wanted to check on the Creta Petrol AT mileage, I have clocked 1500 kms within a month and already done with 1st service, but the mileage doesn't seem to improve. Its 6-7 kmpl in city (Mumbai) with decent traffic and 10 kmpl on highways not exceeding 70 kmph mark . Not sure if this will really improve with more kms as the service guy dint have any inputs. If any of you had similar experience please do share.
Old 12th December 2016, 11:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaymore19 View Post
Hi team, just wanted to check on the Creta Petrol AT mileage, I have clocked 1500 kms within a month and already done with 1st service, but the mileage doesn't seem to improve. Its 6-7 kmpl in city (Mumbai) with decent traffic and 10 kmpl on highways not exceeding 70 kmph mark . Not sure if this will really improve with more kms as the service guy dint have any inputs. If any of you had similar experience please do share.
City mileage will remain in single digits mostly with moderate traffic conditions. You may stretch it to 8-9 kmpl with good balanced driving. Highways will also give around 12-13 kmpl. Hyundai claimed fuel efficiency under ideal conditions itself is not more than 13 kmpl if i'm not mistaken.
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed