Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 16:32   #46
BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review

Thanks a lot for the great review.

But my observations may be disturbing for kwid fans, and sorry if it hurts anybody's sentiments.

22K for 1L kwid more than the 800cc kwid (RXT) is just a marketing gimmick.

Just after launching and initial product reviews, Renault tactically increased the price by Rs.7000 on 23rd August 2016.

The new price for kwid in Chennai is as follows:

Apart from this on road price customers has to pay for even for a mud-flap, which is ridiculous, where somebody has to pay additional Rs.1600/-.

Have a look at price, the insurance amount is almost equivalent to a B+ segment hatch. For many of the competitor products the first year insurance is complementary.

Even though the ex show room price, especially for basic variants is mouth watering, they jacked up the price in such a way that, I don't see much value for money in 1L kwid, when it comes to the total cost of ownership of almost 5L.

Unless it gives some real value, I feel its always better to go ahead with a bigger and better car with established brands, which gives better reliability, serviceability and peace of mind.

The observations about kwid from my test drive are as follows:

Visibility
  • The seating level is low, thereby the front visibility is not that great, especially for short drivers and women may be compelled to use an additional cushion (as in old Ambassadors)
  • The front windshield seems to be smaller in height
  • Rear visibility from IRVM is not that great
Power
  • Even though it may be capable engine in books, I don't feel the real punch of a 1L engine, especially in lower gears.
Saftey
  • Not sure about the strength of new kwid (after structural changes). What is the point of having just one air bag in RT(O)? Its should be at least two as I am more concerned about my wife and kids than me while driving.
I never say its a bad car or a bad brand, but it didn't meet my expectations. Its the mesmerizing duster like looks, the ground clearance and boot size (which are two real real plus points) which attracts most costumers to the showroom.

Overall, it is a good car for a first time buyer.

Last edited by sunil8089 : 10th September 2016 at 16:34.
sunil8089 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 17:47   #47
BHPian

Had a short test drive of Kwid 1 liter engine today and I agree with sunil8089's point that the engine just doesn't feel like a one litre engine. The vibrations at the pedal at the time of initial pick up is also present. Though the airconditioner performed well, the car was not at all feeling sprightly being a one litre. This test drive left me a little confused as I had rejected the Tiago Petrol for the same vibration at pick up reason. I guess this is a trait of all three cylinder petrols.
Old 10th September 2016, 21:21   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK1 View Post
Had a short test drive of Kwid 1 liter engine today and I agree with sunil8089's point that the engine just doesn't feel like a one litre engine. The vibrations at the pedal at the time of initial pick up is also present. Though the airconditioner performed well, the car was not at all feeling sprightly being a one litre. This test drive left me a little confused as I had rejected the Tiago Petrol for the same vibration at pick up reason. I guess this is a trait of all three cylinder petrols.
The vibration will be an inherent issue for 3 cylinder engines as they lose out the natural balancing of a 4 pot motor.
There was a time, not too long ago when 1000 cc engines were 4-cyl engines, well mostly. The cost cutting era has robbed us of one entire pot which made a lot of difference.
And 2 back to back reports of the 1.0 ltr Kwid of being little lethargic is serious. I can understand it not being smooth as a turbine, but a 1000 CC engine mounted in a super light chassis like that of the Kwid, should in fact be a pocket rocket. Sadly, not the case.
As a consolation, given the Kwid's poor crash test performance, it is a rather good thing.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 22:08   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post

Apart from this on road price customers has to pay for even for a mud-flap, which is ridiculous, where somebody has to pay additional Rs.1600/-.

Have a look at price, the insurance amount is almost equivalent to a B+ segment hatch. For many of the competitor products the first year insurance is complementary.
Mud-flaps are considered as an 'accessory' and you have to pay for it. You will get it free on other cars which are not in demand. Same for insurance.
Its same as asking Duster/Terrano has 50-80k INR discount and why doesn't Creta get it.

Obviously for fast moving models there wont be any discounts and instead you will get delayed deliveries. Vice-versa for low selling cars.

Baleno,Brezza,Creta,Kwid has waiting periods and they wont give anything extra with the car unless you pay for it. You might be able to squeeze in some accessory if you know the dealer personally or if you buy insurance from them .
ysak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 18:59   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I took the delivery of my Kwid 1.0

Initial observations:

Positives:
View from cabin
Looks
Space
Ride quality
AC
Performance in higher end of the rev range. Highway cruising effortless at 100kmph

Negatives:
Braking
Lower rev range feels same as the 0.8L
Reverse gear engagement is weird. Doesn't disengage properly(or I am new to this type of pull and engage type)
I miss the rpm meter, very very badly :(

It is a fun car to drive.

Ownership reviewas soon as I clock 500km on this baby duster.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160915_17_04_17_pro-2.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160915_17_29_14_pro-2.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160915_17_12_36_pro.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-img20160915wa0014-2.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-img20160915wa0015-2.jpg  

Renault Kwid 1.0L : Official Review-wp_20160915_17_45_39_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 15th September 2016 at 19:04.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 19:05   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Initial observations:

Positives:
View
Space
Ride quality
AC
Performance in higher end of the rev range. Highway cruising effortless at 100kmph

Negatives:
Braking
Reverse gear engagement is weird. Doesn't disengage properly(or I am new to this type of pull and engage type)

Well done mate!
wish you all the BEST!

Its a very nice car indeed.
You might want to consider upsizing the tyres a bit and possibly adding on some nice alloys. Make the tyres fill those wheel arches, get a better ride and better braking too, because of the larger contact patch with the ground.

Lovely little car! Have an enjoyable time with it!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 13:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
Safety[*]Not sure about the strength of new kwid (after structural changes). What is the point of having just one air bag in RT(O)? Its should be at least two as I am more concerned about my wife and kids than me while driving.
The structural changes and the single airbag has not done much from a safety perspective - URL

It has received only 1 star rating the crash test
Old 2nd October 2016, 20:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Initial observations:

Positives:
View from cabin
Looks
Space
Ride quality
AC

Negatives:
Braking

Congratulations Prasanna.

Looking forward to your review, especially with respect to the ride/handling/FE in city driving and overtaking/braking during highway cruising.

IMO, the white and black chequered flag is looking good
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:11   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif_baig View Post
Congratulations Prasanna.

Looking forward to your review,
Thank you! My review has been on teambhp since 20th September. Please do find it in ownership reviews section.
Old 8th October 2016, 15:36   #55

Any idea on the launch date of kwid AMT. Had a test drive yesterday , quite comfortable for city ride, AMT version would be very helpful for dad and sis to drive. Dealers are not sure abt the launch but hoping it around Christmas.
One thing I noted on some of the parked cars in the yard is water deposit inside headlight. Not sure whether there is any defect around headlight allowing water.
Old 7th November 2016, 21:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydevil View Post
Any idea on the launch date of kwid AMT. Had a test drive yesterday , quite comfortable for city ride, AMT version would be very helpful for dad and sis to drive. Dealers are not sure abt the launch but hoping it around Christmas.
One thing I noted on some of the parked cars in the yard is water deposit inside headlight. Not sure whether there is any defect around headlight allowing water.
The Launch was supposed to be today but did not happen. Now the rumor is second week of November. There are already some reviews posted and they all seem to appreciate the AMT used in the Kwid 1.0 L
Old 22nd November 2016, 22:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quick question for people who have bought the Kwid already. Is there any chance/possibility of price negotiations on the Dealer Accessories?

Also has anyone opted for a Reverse Camera for the Kwid? The Reverse Camera that the dealer showed me seemed like another small unit which he said would be placed on the dashboard.

Given the Large Touchscreen - why could Renault not have planned a camera that displays the Rear View on the Touchscreen display itself
Old 5th December 2016, 11:20   #58
BANNED

Good review. Thanks.

A few minor corrections if you don't mind.

"Disclaimer" word: The last sentence uses this word. It means a denial of responsibility.
I think you meant "disclosure".

One does not use the word "thrice" in English per my school teacher.
You may use "three times".

W.r.t. the plastic oil "sump". IMHO that is the oil pan. And the picture is of the oil pan cover.
It is not vulnerable to anything other than an IED. So that is the least of a kwid owners' concern.
It is made of some special polyamide plastic.

Peugeot used it first on their 508 models.
Merc trucks use them.

Besides weighing 50% less than the metal one, it also reduces noise levels. So that is one of the reasons for the kwid to sound smoother.

I particularly like the 180 mm ground clearance.

It is an ugly looking car though.

Cheers.

Last edited by hangover : 5th December 2016 at 11:25.
hangover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 00:53   #59
BHPian

#KwidDrive2Paris by ACI

Old 15th December 2016, 14:40   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
What happens when you park on a narrow road and someone folds your mirror ? If it's raining on that particular day, adjusting mirrors is something your passenger wouldn't want to do.

I know that the above case is extreme It's is an unnecessary omission, especially considering how well the top spec trim is equipped.
Not just that, if you have someone to wash the car each day, they will invariably move the mirrors. You will compulsorily have to re-adjust them to suit you each morning.

Electrical adjustment and memory type mirrors are an unnecessary complication. A simple handle inside to adjust the mirror is enough and cheap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks