Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
I have a serious question..who exactly is the target audience for a 4x4 pickup in India, given that there are regular 4x4/AWD SUVs already for offroad enthusiasts?
The ever increasing breed of wildlife(and other) photographers who need to carry a lot of equipment; adventurers who love camping and farm house owners along with a few enthusiasts are the ones who will be interested in such vehicle.
sourabhzen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 19:08   #17
BHPian

Wow man, now this is something. Driving this definitely gives 'Murica vibes!

Nice alternative to the xenons as well as thars. Wish to have one in my garage one day.

And nice, detailed review. Nice to know team bhp reviews all kinds of automobiles.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 19:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
In terms of NVH, as mentioned earlier, the cabin & gear lever shake noticeably on start up. When idling, press the accelerator and the body tilts to the driver's side!! The gear lever dances about while driving and whenever any gear is engaged, a jerk is felt on it as the accelerator is pressed. The V-Cross is very UV-like in this area.

I'm quite surprised you felt this way. I drove the V Cross recently for a good 45 mins and did not find this to be the case at all. I actually felt the NVH was very controlled and actually helped make this car as laid back as it is.

Is it possible it was just an issue on the Test Vehicle?
mrpitt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 19:40   #19
BHPian

Excellent Review. Covers all the points which are not available in any other review(s). I see a lot of custemers opting for this vehicle. People those who have farmhouses will love this vehicle. People with small business will also opt for this vehicle. ISUZU has tried their luck at a new segment but they should take care of their quality control and service.
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 20:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The V-Cross has a shift-on-the-fly 4x4 system. It has 3 electronically switchable modes:c1. 2H - Power is sent only to the rear wheels. This mode should be used for normal on-road driving (street and highway).
Why do some 4x4s have RWD only mode? Fortuner does not have this option. What's the advantage of disengaging the front axle?

It can't be 'better fuel efficiency' - because you are already carrying the extra weight of four wheel drive hardware, and you are dragging the front wheels along the tarmac - whether it is powered or not.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 20:24   #21
BHPian

Nice review and photos.

I test drove the V-Cross a week ago and echo the points in the review. Just adding some personal views.

From the exterior it looks good but the only downside is that it isn't as tall as the pictures suggest and the seating position is not very high and felt like a car inside to drive. Entry and exit from the cabin are easy and do not require a foot step for most people however having one is useful for ladies and older folks. Accessories I felt were a bit pricey.

Loved the ride and comfort in the cabin (all the tech as well) , insulation of the cabin with a very low level of engine noise coming in. Engine is responsive and suspension is definitely good over a really bad stretch of dug up tar road we attempted. Seating at the rear was a bit too low for my comfort and wished there was both a bit more height and under thigh support. Legroom was fabulous. The cool folding seats at the back were amazing too.

I didn’t get to change to 4H but a friend who did said it was smooth and didn’t feel any loss in power while doing so.

The acceleration in 2WD wasn’t really anything to write about but it made the speeds seem low as it was composed and engine noise in the cabin was minimal. Sales rep mentioned doing triple digit speeds easily for long distances and I don’t doubt it.

Speed breakers were taken in 3rd with no slow down and the vehicle stayed very composed. Panic breaking on an empty stretch of road showed it is capable of stopping in a straight line. U-Turns required a bit of planning but was easily manageable at a decent speed without too much body roll. There were 4 people in the vehicle during the test drive and there was more than enough place for 3 people at the back. I felt the stability at the rear was due to 4 passengers.

The large turning radius and heavy steering are the two negatives for driving this around in the city. A larger fuel tank say 70L would have helped make this an even better comfortable long distance tourer.

I would love to have this as an additional long distance getaway vehicle ! (Not selling my Thar for this though).
sjcherian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 21:02   #22
BHPian

Thanks for a crisp review.

Booked a brown one from Trident Bangalore, expecting delivery soon.
mohanaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 22:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Why do some 4x4s have RWD only mode? Fortuner does not have this option. What's the advantage of disengaging the front axle?

It can't be 'better fuel efficiency' - because you are already carrying the extra weight of four wheel drive hardware, and you are dragging the front wheels along the tarmac - whether it is powered or not.
Your answer may be found here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-how-done.html
sourabhzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 22:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
However, what is the point Isuzu trying to prove. Had this been a full blown SUV, they had a chance. But this?
It's called a pickup, Sir, and many people in this country like millions around the world love the fact that someone has the guts to be a segment starter.I have bought this and LOVE it. It's powerful, well built & reasonably comfortable. It's priced extremely well. What's not to like? I fail to understand how someone can pay an astronomical price for a basic SUV like a Fortuner and yet expect Isuzu to offer a similar product at 13L.
mani is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 23:36   #25
BHPian

Brilliant detailed review. I did 3 test drives one at the showroom, 1 at my office and one at my residence (10 pm) before booking it. I have a few observation listed below.

1. The bed liner and sill plates are not standard and are at extra cost.

2. Comparing it to Innova I found the cabin to be very good and much more Silent. Even the gear shift throws and vibrations are better than Innova .

3. I found the rear bumpiness to be tolerable which is a personal opinion. I guess a slightly lower tyre pressure will help further.

4. The car is not a sprinter but it's not a slow mover either. I felt it has better in gear acceleration than Innova.

5. I absolutely love the adjustable intermediate wiper adjustment. It's such a boon when traveling on wet roads for cleaning the spray from vehicles in front of you.

6. Having learnet on a non power steering car (fiat Padmini) and owning a Tata Sierra, I find the steering manageable and actually like the weight on it.

All said and done it's not a vehicle that will please all but it's a vehicle which will turn heads and has a desirability factor to it.

I have scheduled delivery for 2nd October. Accessories added are D-Box, Bug guard, side steps, Illuminated SIL plates and blaupunkt music system with GPS and rear camera. Have my first road trip set for Pondicherry on 4th and looking forward to it.

The Innova compared is 2015 previous gen Innova V which cost me more than this car.

Last edited by tazmaan : 22nd September 2016 at 23:39.
tazmaan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 23:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
I have a serious question..who exactly is the target audience for a 4x4 pickup in India, given that there are regular 4x4/AWD SUVs already for offroad enthusiasts? What do you do with the acre of truck bed space unless you're in the business of hauling cargo (which means you'll probably require a commercial vehicle license)?
It's not like you're going to tow your boat to the lake for fishing, or a RV trailer for camping, or carry a deer after hunting it in the forest, as in the US where these activities are popular.
Even if you're an infrequent offroader, don't the Thar/Fortuner/XUV etc. fulfill that role better, with some of them having extra passenger space as well?
If one is in the business of hauling cargo, one is unlikely to buy something that costs 16L or thereabouts on road?

I'm a lawyer and I booked this lovely vehicle, waited three months for delivery and proudly own a Vcross now. I know seventy three people like me who aren't cargo haulers and owe affiliation to diverse professions who are equally happy Vcross owners as I am.

If people can pay close to 30L for a vehicle like the Fortuner in our great country then trust me there are plenty of unexplored segments which manufacturers don't explore because there her their bread, butter and cream from flogging basic models at crazy prices. I for one am glad that Isuzu with ours international pickup pedigree thought about people like me and offered a vehicle which costs half of Fortuner, is as if not more robust.

Just as I'm not in the cargo business, neither am I in the taxi business and can't see the purpose of paying an extra 15 L for 2 extra seats.

The abovementioned activities (except deer hunting) aren't popular in India because people would rather pay 25L for a vehicle which shouldn't be priced more than 18L. We lack a true sense of adventure. For those of us who do possess it, I'm glad Isuzu has introduced this segment starter at an awesome price.
mani is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 00:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
If one is in the business of hauling cargo, one is unlikely to buy something that costs 16L or thereabouts on road?
I never said anything about price. I was asking what do you do with all that cargo space if you're not a transporter by profession. A covered vehicle with extra seats can still gain more space by folding them down, and everything is safe and secure. Here you have a small cabin for 4 with a huge cargo bed only suitable for large/heavy objects that can't be snatched off and stolen.

Quote:
Just as I'm not in the cargo business, neither am I in the taxi business and can't see the purpose of paying an extra 15 L for 2 extra seats.
People with large families usually buy 7 seaters. That's the use case right there. The same vehicle if equipped with AWD/4WD can be used as an offroader as well. My question is, what is the similar use case for a cargo bed for people who aren't frequently carrying large loads, or, what sort of things do people who are not in the cargo business carry if they do carry them frequently enough to want a pickup? sourabhzen answered this part better in his reply to me.

Quote:
The abovementioned activities (except deer hunting) aren't popular in India because people would rather pay 25L for a vehicle which shouldn't be priced more than 18L. We lack a true sense of adventure. For those of us who do possess it, I'm glad Isuzu has introduced this segment starter at an awesome price.
Indian car pricing is skewed due to taxes and import duties. Still doesn't address why this is better than a regular 4x4 SUV in India. It's not as though there are people here in sufficient numbers owning recreational boats or camper-trailers that can be towed.
Detritus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
However, what is the point Isuzu trying to prove. Had this been a full blown SUV, they had a chance. But this?
I think it's an superb move by Isuzu.
One, they operate in a niche with little competition.
Two, they get good visibility in the enthusiast community which help immensely when the release more products in the future.
Three, they can get away with a lot of the initial manufacturing niggles as long as they can address and rectify them!
Imagine if you had the same issues in a 15 lakh SUV. People would have been cursing the company like its the end of the world.
The typical niche pick up buyer is anyways looking to modify heavily! Will probably be a lot more patient than a typical urban SUV buyer.

Awesome review as usual!
It feels like you are actually doing a test drive. Only better. Considering all the small things you guys notice!
N.r.K is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:44   #29
BHPian

A review I have been waiting for.
Thanks Aditya for the succint review with comprehensive set of best shots. ISUZU has done a great job in introducing this ATB (All Terrain Beast) at such a sweet price. Looks like people with farm houses/estates can upgrade their ride.
srivatsahg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:28   #30
BHPian

A much awaited review and indeed a very detailed one!! This monster of a truck is surely a head turner. Any guesses if Isuzu is going to launch an automatic version of the V Cross?
atu2good is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed