Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 19:47   #196
BHPian

Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Oh no, just when it looked that finally a mechanically reliable 4x4 of international standard at a good price has arrived in India, things have started taking not-so-good turns and I am literally shocked to say the least!

Absolutely. If there is one prime reason why this vehicle is getting such attention, it is only because of that feeling of ultimate reliability. The sooner Isuzu understands this the better.

Absolutely unacceptable thoughts from Isuzu. This kind of mentality will only ruin the long term prospects of the brand in the country and really it doesn't go well with the history & pedigree of the company. They must understand if this one factor of reliability is taken off from the scene, there are cheaper and more versatile products available in similar price range. And by the way, the product is not exactly cheap if that is the misconception they are
If you'd asked me this question six months ago, I'd have said, go for it with your eyes closed. Because that's what i and a bunch of other people did.

However, six months down the line, things aren't quite as hunky dory. A bunch of people are having a bunch of problems and Isuzu isn't addressing them as it should. At the moment the purchase seems to be like playing a game of Russian roulette. One finds out only after delivery of the truck whether it was the right decision. To think people aren't buying Mahindra thinking Isuzu will offer a minimum of ten year unwavering reliability.

All this hassle of begging the company to sort out what is really their duty to solve is leaving a bad taste in the mouth of most customers.What's worrying more than the exorbitant cost of pads vis a vis the industry standard longevity, is Isuzu's bad attitude in (not) addressing this.

So while someone like me who isn't affected by pads or any other problem so far, is worried if tomorrow i face any of the following problems ailing many of the trucks:

Shock absorbers (failing very soon)
Leaf springs (clanging sound on many trucks)
Problems with 4WD on some trucks.
Failing diesel injectors

THEN

Is this the way manner that Isuzu will treat me? Based on the current experience of owners, that certainly seems will be the case.

The Isuzu MUX launch is around the corner. It's safe to assume that the vendors and supply chains will be shared across both products. How will Isuzu ever compete with the legendary Toyota reliability with shoddy example of the Vcross ASS? Something to ponder.

When Isuzu had the jerk issue wherein the truck was jerking and losing power between 1800-2200 RPM, Isuzu promptly responded to customer complaints.I wonder why and how they've grown a thick skin in a matter of a few months. It's probably because they've outsold trucks targets than initially projected and now can't be bothered as their bread and butter product is likely to be the MUX?

A friend had his injectors fail. Isuzu tried to shirk warranty instead of honouring it. Isuzu first response was he used bad fuel hence the company wasn't liable and he himself would have to pay to change injectors.

The friend got the petrol pump and the oil company to certify the fuel as unadulterated. He was lucky he had the credit card slip so the oil company was able to certify the batch. And Isuzu would have had a lawsuit on its hands had they denied him the in-warranty replacement. So they quickly changed their stance in face of all evidence in his favour.

That's exactly my point. Why not honour your warranty? Why are injectors failing so early? And if they are, then why is the management fighting with its own customers to offer a free replacement which they are legally liable to offer.

We were Isuzu's brand ambassadors having had the truck for 6-7 months. However, this shoddy treatment is turning us into critics and Isuzu still doesn't seem bothered to evaluate why it's customers are being critical. Not all customers keep records of fuel bills nor do all have the time to run around or leave their vehicles while Isuzu guesses what's wrong.

Higher you fly, harder you fall. Isuzu management would do well so remember that. Time that Isuzu customer service got it's head out of the clouds. We've paid for our trucks. Isuzu can't abuse it's dominant position vis a vis it's customers. The company can't be run like a personal fiefdom with no accountability to it's customers.

The call on redressing customer confidence and reassuring them needs to be taken by operations staff, plant level staff, not a bunch of sales guys doing firefighting and offering free replacements to anyone who creates a noise which could potentially impact potential new sales of the truck.

Basically, Isuzu needs to function in India as it does in markets abroad. They have a good product in the pickup, being marred by poor customer service and even poorer ethical standards with regard to quality control and warranty issues. And too many issues springing up, far too quickly.

The obvious conclusion is - Vendors aren't accountable and low cost parts are being used to make up for what Isuzu feels is a competitively priced vehicle. And post failure of these low quality parts, customers are being milked to pay exorbitant prices for basic parts failing far too early on a vehicle that's supposed to be adventure utility. In its current avatar, a lot of owners don't have the guts to take the truck offeoad for fear of shocks that may collapse and worse having to pay for them if Isuzu doesn't honour the warranty.

That's the long and short of it at the moment. I certainly hope you're a lucky player and your hand at this game of roulette is a lucky hand.
mani is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 04:22   #197
BHPian

Shucks what sad feedback just a few days before i take delivery of my v cross hope things get better and not worst.
Old 6th May 2017, 10:08   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow these feedback and response from Isuzu really reflects badly on them. With a new vehicle they should be extra careful to avoid this sort of negative behaviour. They should have gone the extra mile to solve the problems of the initial owners. Brake pads should last at least 40k kms and rotors should not fail for 1L kms. Any failure before that is premature and likely due to manufacturing defects.
This is a major put off for prospective customers (like me) who are considering their vehicles like MUX. Even if Isuzu price it 10 lacs below Fortuner I would not go for it if it has reliability issues. I would much rather go for the Innova Crysta instead which I know would not fail me and would have much better brand value and resale and ownership experience. Toyota has set a very high benchmark for performance and reliability and Isuzu inspite of being a Japanese company is not living up to Japanese standards it should.

Last edited by Behemoth : 6th May 2017 at 10:13.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 15:58   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Brake pads should last at least 40k kms and rotors should not fail for 1L kms. Any failure before that is premature and likely due to manufacturing defects.
This is a major put off for prospective customers (like me) who are considering their vehicles like MUX. Even if Isuzu price it 10 lacs below Fortuner I would not go for it if it has reliability issues. I would much rather go for the Innova Crysta instead which I know would not fail me and would have much better brand value and resale and ownership experience. Toyota has set a very high benchmark for performance and reliability and Isuzu inspite of being a Japanese company is not living up to Japanese standards it should.
I refuse to believe that Isuzu Japan is an unresponsive company. They've excelled in every international market they operate in. Excelled not merely in the quality of product they deliver, but also in the service levels they provide.

The dichotomy in India is that while Isuzu is selling more trucks than they anticipated, largely by milking the international reputation of both Isuzu and Dmax, so while the sales look great, and that makes Isuzu India looks good, the underlying discontent that's brewing amongst buyers has no tangible way of being reflected in sales numbers.

The only conclusion i can arrive at is that either the Indian management and/or mid level staff have been recruited from the pure commercial segment of Indian auto industry and have previously only dealt with commercial truck drivers (and not trucks in the American parlance - ie our trucks) and are clueless on how to deal with the automobile enthusiasts who have bought Isuzu trucks. Thus, a complete lack of standardised procedures in dealing with warranty issues.

And therein lies the problem. Because the problem solving lies in hands of people used to dealing with commercial interstate truck drivers as a part of their professional training.Sadly,they have been unable to straddle the gap between those dealings and dealing with the enthusiasts who are spending in the region of 15-20L on their trucks.

The immediate reaction, without even an investigation is of deniability and jumping to fix customer fault. They think that's the best away to avoid liability. It's probably because that's what they did with previous truck driver customers - cook cock and bull stories which have no rational nexus with the problem at hand. Not realising that most pick-up owners are far more technically sound than most so called experts employed by Isuzu India.

At the moment most truck buyers have much more knowledge on engines than these people who's primary purpose is to make a sale, service be damned. Hence, ASS is a nightmare because these people are out of their intellectual depth when dealing with informed buyers.

I suspect Isuzu India on strength of their sales numbers is misrepresenting to Isuzu Japan, the scale of buyer dissatisfaction currently prevalent. So it's entirely possible that Isuzu Japan is clueless about the rot that's setting in. The responsibility for that rests fairly and squarely on Isuzu India.

We as responsible buyers decided to post here after giving Isuzu a long rope to put it's house in order. But now we need to ensure that Isuzu India isn't allowed to hoodwink current or future customers under the garb of it's international reputation.

The issues many of us are facing need to be widely circulated so anyone who makes a decision to purchase does so on facts on ground rather than rhetoric of the reliability of the truck internationally.

Isuzu India which earlier had a responsive team at launch,now with mild success in sale numbers have changed to feudal lords who arbitrarily decide which owners deserve replacements in-warranty. It's a sad state of affairs. The work culture at Isuzu India increasingly seems to resemble an old world public sector undertaking, than a modern Japanese company. It's purely reactive and warranty replacements depend on ones ability to either create a noise or on being bum chums with respective area managers.

Isuzu needs to display a large heart towards so it's customers, till it sorts out it's vendor/unresponsive staff problems. Why should customers shell out money if Isuzu India hasn't been able to employ credible vendors? Vendors churning out sub standard parts and Isuzu instead of offering no questions asked replacement decides to squeeze it's own customers by pricing spare parts that don't last but cost the earth in comparison to other manufacturers.

Customer care must be standard, for every buyer, not dependant upon knowing people in the company. Because if the company becomes unresponsive, the sales will be impacted given that it's still a new segment. The old buyers were their brand ambassadors and now most, after suffering Isuzu customer care are turning their detractors. Can't be a worse ending for what is otherwise a good, enjoyable vehicle.

My 0.02¢
mani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:47   #200
BHPian

I got my Vcross in January. Haven't had any trouble as yet and am very happy with the product.

My only concern is that the dealer that I got it from used to be a Chevrolet dealer, something I found out very late!

Am looking forward to my first service with trepidation.
Old 7th May 2017, 12:54   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
. I would much rather go for the Innova Crysta instead which I know would not fail me and would have much better brand value and resale and ownership experience. .
Toyota is default choice if you want brand value, reliability and resale. I would not look elsewhere if Crysta fulfils my requirements. Isuzu only of I need 4X4 option
Old 8th May 2017, 13:21   #202
BHPian

I have been looking to buy a 4*4 which serves my mild off roading purpose for trips like Badrinath and in the local farms, along with good boot space. Since the Isuzu Dmax Vcross launch I was quite exited as the vehicle would suit me along with the good reliable reputation this brand has world wide, but decided to wait for a period of six months to a year to hear the reviews from owners experience before I take a jump. I sold off my 2 year old Scorpio S10 last week as Mahindra service was very irritating right from the start which started giving me a negative feeling, and started working on finalizing the new car. But reading these reviews it's giving a very scary picture to purchase a Vcross. apart from these many bad post ownership experiences, these seem to be the common issues of Isuzu Vcross:-

early brake pads failures,
rotor failures,
cabin noise after one year,
beige interiors turning dirty,
roof rails coming off,
frequent 5k service check up a pain,
sky high spare parts cost,
puny tyres of MRF (costing 6000 compared to 13000 of Scorpio with vehicle cost being same),
evident cost cutting on the Indian version seen with no head unit, lack of reverse camera and sensors (learnt that from this month onwards reae camera will be pre fitted),
shaking seats,
costly accessories, etc
NON RESPONSIVE ISUZU CUSTOMER CARE being the other major concern.

Now coming to the cost factors of a new vehicle, its currently between 13.25 to 13.85 lakhs with state wise break up as follows:-

Rs 13.25 Andhra
Rs 13.30 Delhi
Rs 13.38 Haryana
Rs 13.39 Chandigarh, Punjab
Rs 13.40 Maharashtra
Rs 13.50 Tamil Nadu
Rs 13.51 Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala
Rs 13.54 Uttar Pradesh
Rs 13.59 Gujarat
Rs 13.60 Rajasthan
Rs 13.66 West Bengal
Rs 13.85 Madhya Pradesh

Dealers quote an extra 51000-61000 for Insurance (some say compulsory to be taken at dealers end), 8000-14000 for handling charges (illegal), Entertainment Kit Rs 28000-40000 (notice same kit provided across India but price varies with dealers and some force this as compulsory).

So it will another Rs 1-1.14 lakh if a buyer goes by the dealer or atleast Rs 70000 if you prefer to do it your way (Insurance Rs 40000, Entertainment Kit Rs 30000 and no illegal handling charges). Also note dealer in Delhi who is 2500kms away from plant quotes Rs 8000 as handling charges while dealer in Andhra who is hardly 500kms from plant quotes Rs 14000, They Isuzu has authorized them to collect these charges and its a take it or leave it reckless attitude of dealers, don't understand how the logic behind these varying charges where the closest dealer charges the highest and how Isuzu has authorized its dealers to collect such illegal charges. Mahindra has totally done away with these illegal handling/logistic charges maybe after cases fileds in consumer courts or negative feedback from customers.

Registration charges with RTO cost around Rs 1.13-1.9 lakhs depending on state.

Total On Road Break up in lakhs

Rs 13.50 Average Ex Showroom
Rs 00.40 Insurance
Rs 00.14 TCS
Rs 01.70 Average Road Tax

Rs 15.74 lakhs on a average basis (Delhi NCR as extra Rs 13000 as Green Cess while in Andhra there is total waiver of road tax till year 2021 for vehicles compulsory purchased within state)

Minimum Basic Accessories required for this vehicle are

Rs 5000 Foot Mats
Rs 10000 Seat Covers
Rs 26000 Bed Liner
Rs 18000 Foot Step
Rs 30000 Head unit with Navigation

So a basic bare bones vehicle will end up costing 16.65 lakhs. Other essential accessories like boot cover and canopies range between Rs 1-2.5 lakhs. So Rs 17 lakh is the minimum while it can go upto Rs 20-22 lakhs for extra modifications.

Isuzu initially launched the Vcross at Rs 13.41 Ex showroom and increased it steeply by a lakh in less than a year of launch, while majority of dealers try to cheat a Rs 50000 extra on Insurance, Handling Charges and a costly Entertainment kit that lacks navigation.

Pro's:- Great Road Presence
Con's:- Parking it and driving around city is a big pain

Competitor Tata Xenon is cheaper by 2.5 lakhs while alternates like Scorpio S10 WD with a closed boot provide a better ride if 4WD required else nothing beats the Innova Crysta. The Isuzu launched Vcross as a low cost option under 13 but today at Rs 17 lakh on road price doesn't seem a economy option specially since its not a every day vehicle. Dealing with some dealers is very disappointing experience as they are looking to fleece and suck the blood out of a customer. when requested to drop illegal handling charges they said take it or leave it.

So is the price worth it????

Last edited by raja_ys : 8th May 2017 at 13:34.
raja_ys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 22:03   #203
BHPian

Does anyone know how many owners have actually been affected? I saw some posts where lists were mentioned, would love to see the list myself.

Regarding the deal and cost components, as long as it's all declared clearly and in advance - what's the issue. If one doesn't feel the deal has value, walk away...

I'm sure Isuzu watches this forum and the Facebook groups. As a new owner, I'd like to know what action they take.

My reading is that this issue is still stuck with the dealer and mid management at Isuzu India. The tweetstorm and social media alarms should have gone off at the corporate office by now.

Now we will get to see the company's approach to this customer grievance.
Old 9th May 2017, 15:45   #204
BHPian

http://www.autosarena.com/isuzu-d-ma...aught-testing/

This news came out today. I have booked one and was planning to take the delivery this weekend.

Will they launch it this soon?

Last edited by muditgrover : 9th May 2017 at 15:47.
Old 9th May 2017, 21:12   #205
BHPian

I doubt that its a facelift and looks like a vehicle going from the stock yard to the show room for delivery. I just took delivery of mine today and when i had gone to do the PDI when my v cross reached the stock yard it looks similar to the stickering on the vehicle in the link.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th May 2017 at 20:55. Reason: duplicate image
davids4x4mm550 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 22:58   #206
BHPian

I have couple of questions about the the v cross that i am hoping one of you can advise me on. I currently drive a fortuner and plan to replace it with the V cross.

1) I have test driven the vehicle couple of weeks back. I really liked it, but two major things bothered me. The gearbox is really mushy (??), its not difficult to shift, but felt somethings off and the clutch is really really light. The TD vehicle is around 800km old. Are the things i felt due to vehicle being relatively new and may be abused? or is it just how it is? If its the vehicle itself, is there any chance of it improving as the miles are put on?

2) The big one. I am 6'5 tall, now i do fit, but my legs hit the steering wheel. I feel if the seat is just a bit lower and bit farther back, i would have no problem. Would moving the seat mounting points back a good idea or going for a aftermarket seat such as recaro's better? 99% of the time its just me in car and on rare occasions there is another person. So losing backseat legroom behind me is no issue.
Old 12th May 2017, 10:53   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
I have couple of questions about the the v cross that i am hoping one of you can advise me on. I currently drive a fortuner and plan to replace it with the V cross.

1) I have test driven the vehicle couple of weeks back. I really liked it, but two major things bothered me. The gearbox is really mushy (??), its not difficult to shift, but felt somethings off and the clutch is really really light. The TD vehicle is around 800km old. Are the things i felt due to vehicle being relatively new and may be abused? or is it just how it is? If its the vehicle itself, is there any chance of it improving as the miles are put on?

2) The big one. I am 6'5 tall, now i do fit, but my legs hit the steering wheel. I feel if the seat is just a bit lower and bit farther back, i would have no problem. Would moving the seat mounting points back a good idea or going for a aftermarket seat such as recaro's better? 99% of the time its just me in car and on rare occasions there is another person. So losing backseat legroom behind me is no issue.
First of all looking out from a Fortuner to a Vross is big big downgrade, you will be much dissapointed on Vcross compared to the Fortuner. Vcross is typically a Pick Up truck while Fortuner is a full fledged SUV. The gearbox on vcross has no issues, maybe you feel different because it has low end tourqe due to its load pulling capacity of 3.5 tonnes. Secondly dont think a TD vehicle with just 800kms on the Odo would be in a abused condition. Regarding your legs hitting the the steering wheel Vcross doenst provide telescopic stering which is a negative for taller people. When the manufacturer doesn't care for tall customers why should such customers ever care for the vehicle is my point. Many manufactures treat us as second grade customers inspite of Indian being the world's 5th largest Auto market. In my view with your Fortuner background it's better you avoid Vcross unless you have a frequent load carrying purpose, instead you may consider MUX.

Last edited by raja_ys : 12th May 2017 at 10:58.
Old 12th May 2017, 17:31   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys View Post
First of all looking out from a Fortuner to a Vross is big big downgrade, you will be much dissapointed on Vcross compared to the Fortuner. Vcross is typically a Pick Up truck while Fortuner is a full fledged SUV. The gearbox on vcross has no issues, maybe you feel different because it has low end tourqe due to its load pulling capacity of 3.5 tonnes. Secondly dont think a TD vehicle with just 800kms on the Odo would be in a abused condition. Regarding your legs hitting the the steering wheel Vcross doenst provide telescopic stering which is a negative for taller people. When the manufacturer doesn't care for tall customers why should such customers ever care for the vehicle is my point. Many manufactures treat us as second grade customers inspite of Indian being the world's 5th largest Auto market. In my view with your Fortuner background it's better you avoid Vcross unless you have a frequent load carrying purpose, instead you may consider MUX.
Yes the V cross will be a downgrade compared to fortuner, but for some reason i really like it. Its a really unique vehicle and will be perfect for me (as i don't have a family). I am considering the MU-X as well, just waiting for the test drive vehicle to be available. Another reason i am considering Isuzu is i don't have to pay road tax in Andhra Pradesh. I can put the savings towards mods i planned.
Old 13th May 2017, 11:27   #209
BHPian

(Pet peeve alert) The use of the word 'downgrade' implies a negative stereotype I cannot agree with...

Each vehicle is a machine built to certain specifications. Those specs could be price / usage cycle / seating capacity etc. A Mahindra Thar is a factory built 'jeep' in the tradition of MM customs in the aftermarket. Does this mean it is a 'downgrade' to an Isuzu VCross, which is a 'downgrade' to a Fortuner, and so on up the price scale upto multi crore supercars??

Here in India we tend to equate price with value, which is a slippery slope. Yes, many car lovers equate their 'beast', 'steed', 'monster' as an affirmation of their lifestyle proclamations. To each their own, I say.

To me, all my cars have been special and suited my needs as they change with time. My Palio in its day was certainly no 'downgrade' to my VCross.

Let's not attempt to compare chalk and cheese.

VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 12:43   #210
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys View Post
I do not see the V Cross as a downgrade from the previous gen fortuner. ₹ for ₹ I do think previous gen Fortuner and the V Cross are in the same league. I had a fortuner and actually disliked driving it, I enjoyed driving the V Cross more.

That said, Toyota gives peace of mind and the Isuzu gives VFM.
KMT is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks