Old 9th November 2016, 13:07   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

PowerDrift Video Review :

Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:15   #62
BHPian

What is the ground clearance of the newly launched Hyundai Elantra? I dont see it stated in the brochure.

Also, what is the *realistic* city mileage of the petrol, manual transmission variant? (not ARAI numbers).

I am considering the SX(O) petrol, manual transmission if the above numbers are decent. Am toying between this and waiting for the Corolla facelift in H1 2017.
Old 23rd November 2016, 01:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
What is the ground clearance of the newly launched Hyundai Elantra? I dont see it stated in the brochure.

Also, what is the *realistic* city mileage of the petrol, manual transmission variant? (not ARAI numbers).

I am considering the SX(O) petrol, manual transmission if the above numbers are decent. Am toying between this and waiting for the Corolla facelift in H1 2017.
The GC is 165 mm.
I drove the 2.0 Auto, and the mid showed an average of 9-9.5kpl. That must be city mileage, considering it was the TD vehicle. Manual should give you slightly better figures, but don't expect anything more than 10 in city driving conditions.
Old 23rd November 2016, 06:43   #64
BHPian

Thanks Rohan24.

I suppose you're relying on the mileage displayed in the instrument cluster. I feel those are often unreliable, esp on a TD vehicle. It depends on when its been reset etc., if I'm not mistaken.

I was hoping to get figures from someone who actually bought the vehicle and has done the fuel-tank full-to-full test for mileage assessment.

I am a bit skeptical about the 10 kmpl, is bcoz my 1.6 liter petrol manual SX4 gives me 10 kmpl in city, and the 1.8 liter petrol manual Corolla is stated to give around 9 kmpl in city (realistic figures based on full-to-full test, not ARAI figures from brochure). I was expecting the 2 liter petrol manual Elantra to give about 8 kmpl in city, but was just wondering if someone had actually done the full-to-full test on the Elantra. Perhaps its too early to tell.
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:03   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted one today in silver.

Not a head-turner but looks elegant and premium.
Size perception is just right (i.e. not too big) and certainly 'feels' D segment.
Rear looks different with those looong tail-lights
Front now looking too similar its smaller siblings but that is now being followed by every manufacturer.
Old 23rd November 2016, 09:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rohan24.

I suppose you're relying on the mileage displayed in the instrument cluster. I feel those are often unreliable, esp on a TD vehicle. It depends on when its been reset etc., if I'm not mistaken.

I was hoping to get figures from someone who actually bought the vehicle and has done the fuel-tank full-to-full test for mileage assessment.

I am a bit skeptical about the 10 kmpl, is bcoz my 1.6 liter petrol manual SX4 gives me 10 kmpl in city, and the 1.8 liter petrol manual Corolla is stated to give around 9 kmpl in city (realistic figures based on full-to-full test, not ARAI figures from brochure). I was expecting the 2 liter petrol manual Elantra to give about 8 kmpl in city, but was just wondering if someone had actually done the full-to-full test on the Elantra. Perhaps its too early to tell.

My Corolla manages to give me 11-12.5kmpl in the city. Surprisingly my Wagon-R used to give me similar figures in the city. Bigger engine with a good low end torque offers decent FE in the city, the engine capacity alone doesn't determine the fuel efficiency. Although for bigger engines there is no significant difference of fuel economy on the highways. This is where small engines shine. So I won't be surprised if the Elantra petrol MT actually gives 10kmpl in the city.
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:10   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
My Corolla manages to give me 11-12.5kmpl in the city. Surprisingly my Wagon-R used to give me similar figures in the city. Bigger engine with a good low end torque offers decent FE in the city, the engine capacity alone doesn't determine the fuel efficiency. Although for bigger engines there is no significant difference of fuel economy on the highways. This is where small engines shine. So I won't be surprised if the Elantra petrol MT actually gives 10kmpl in the city.
+1

Bigger engines usually give consistent economy figures across driving conditions, unless you drive them flat out in which case they obviously guzzle fuel. The ample low end torque makes all the difference.

For instance, my Scorpio consistently delivers around 10kmpl +- 1kmpl irrespective of whether it is driven in city or on the highway. FE of my Jazz though varies between 10 and 18kmpl depending on traffic conditions and how enthusiastic I feel.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:05   #68
BANNED

Quote:
It is 165 mm, as already mentioned Rohan24.
The good part is that despite of having only 165 mm of GC, there is very less belly scraping in this car. I was also a part of the media drive and took the car off the road at several points; not a single time the belly scraped anywhere. Here is a video example of the suspension working; please go to the last 20 seconds and you will notice a steep incline (The opening pic of this thread is also taken there itself) for coming back on the road. We were expecting that the belly may scrape if we try to climb the car straight on the road instead of being slightly biased on the sides of the slope. Absolutely no problem occurred and the car did the job quite well. So GC IMHO should not cause any troubles in regular usage. The video is here:

Quote:
Moderate city traffic: 12-13 kpl
High traffic: 10 kpl
Crawling traffic: Can be anything in single digits
Highway: Can go up to 16 kpl, this is a frugal engine as much I noticed.

Quote:
Go for it with eyes closed, you won't ever get to feel that your car is having higher running costs than the competition.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:09   #69
BHPian

Its been now more than 3 weeks I went into the Hyundai showroom to inquire about the Elantra. They didn't have a display piece and didn't have a test drive vehicle too. I was promised a dekho of the next elantra that get delivered in a weeks time but till now there's no car being shown. I am surprised how can Hyundai which has a very pro-active approach to indian customers can allow a launch without enought support from production and marketing people. I mean to wait 3 weeks just to take a look at the car forget about the test driving it is sacrilege in today's day and age. I am really keen to take a look at the car as its on my shortlist as my next car. Surprisingly in my city I haven't seen any on the road too. Is anyone else too experiencing the same thing elsewhere in the country? And mind you we have two dealers in my city. Both don't have elantras!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd November 2016 at 15:50. Reason: minor typos fixed.
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:01   #70
BHPian

Thanks a lot @VKumar, @Shreyans_Jain, @asit.kulkarni93, @Rohan24.

Bangalore roads are horrible, esp in the parts where I live. I doubt if Elantra will take the speed bumps and pot holes and unpaved roads of my Bellandur neighborhood! But lets see ...
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:38   #71
BHPian

One thing that I like HYundai for sure is that their interiors are top notch for that segment. Perfectly constructed, no gaps, no rattles, premium feel (ofcourse in that segment), right from Eon to way up.
low_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 13:47   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
One thing that I like HYundai for sure is that their interiors are top notch for that segment. Perfectly constructed, no gaps, no rattles, premium feel (ofcourse in that segment), right from Eon to way up.
I absolutely agree with you. I have been a loyal hyundai customer for the past 7 years with usage of the Santro (Sold) and i20 (currently in use). Not to mention their good service back up.

Planning to upgrade to the Elantra in some time. A Creta would also be joining our family soon. No brand has impressed me so much considering I own a Toyota, Hyundai and Honda. Definitely they have come a long way.
The Hurricane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:56   #73
BHPian

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Its been now more than 3 weeks I went into the Hyundai showroom to inquire about the Elantra. They didn't have a display piece and didn't have a test drive vehicle too. I was promised a dekho of the next elantra that get delivered in a weeks time but till now there's no car being shown. I am surprised how can Hyundai which has a very pro-active approach to indian customers can allow a launch without enought support from production and marketing people. I mean to wait 3 weeks just to take a look at the car forget about the test driving it is sacrilege in today's day and age. I am really keen to take a look at the car as its on my shortlist as my next car. Surprisingly in my city I haven't seen any on the road too. Is anyone else too experiencing the same thing elsewhere in the country? And mind you we have two dealers in my city. Both don't have elantras!

In Pune the car is available for TD but only the diesel version none of the dealers in Pune have Petrol for TD. Which is weird the car launched almost 6 months ago. Even superb and A3 have both fuel variants for TD.

Also the waiting period is 3 months but with the price rise round the corner no one is giving price protection.

Last edited by gouravsinha : 22nd December 2016 at 23:00.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
I absolutely agree with you. I have been a loyal hyundai customer for the past 7 years with usage of the Santro (Sold) and i20 (currently in use). Not to mention their good service back up.

Planning to upgrade to the Elantra in some time. A Creta would also be joining our family soon. No brand has impressed me so much considering I own a Toyota, Hyundai and Honda. Definitely they have come a long way.
Man, that is epic! A true Hyundai fan and I can see why. Their Santro was quite bullet proof despite all the abuse once could throw at it. And considering that you speak highly of Hyundai despite owning a Toyota and Honda, that is truly something.
qr20de is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouravsinha View Post
In Pune the car is available for TD but only the diesel version none of the dealers in Pune have Petrol for TD. Which is weird the car launched almost 6 months ago. Even superb and A3 have both fuel variants for TD.

Also the waiting period is 3 months but with the price rise round the corner no one is giving price protection.

Gaurav

In Bangalore too, I got to drive the Petrol AT after following up for almost 4 weeks. A couple of dealerships simply do not have this variant, and say "Sir, please drive the Diesel and see, Petrol is same only Sir".

Anyway, I am truly impressed with the Petrol AT. The other impressive car in this segment is the Octavia, but I wouldn't buy that with my money.

Personally, I am in a dilemma now - Elantra or the Hexa - both very different behaving and purpose vehicles. Latter is more suitable for Bangalore potholed and crowded roads, but Elantra is simply toooooooo good looking.

cheers
lazy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks