Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2016, 09:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
As a owner of the Fluidic Verna Crdi Auto myself and having driven the Elantra Crdi Auto, here is my little comparative impression for potential upgraders
Nice comparison. But I think you're comparing the pre-2015 Verna. A lot of points you mentioned have changed in the 2015 facelift. For example, scraping the bottom when loaded, is a thing of the past. Suspension and dynamics are much improved too, over the previous version (though still not comparable to the Germans, on absolute terms its not a deal breaker anymore).

Where the Elantra really scores are the features and space, but paying around 6 lakhs more than the Verna seems unjustified, especially for the diesel variant.
PearlJam is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 11:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Nice comparison. But I think you're comparing the pre-2015 Verna. A lot of points you mentioned have changed in the 2015 facelift. For example, scraping the bottom when loaded, is a thing of the past. Suspension and dynamics are much improved too, over the previous version (though still not comparable to the Germans, on absolute terms its not a deal breaker anymore).

Where the Elantra really scores are the features and space, but paying around 6 lakhs more than the Verna seems unjustified, especially for the diesel variant.
Hey there PearlJam!
Yes I do own the 2013 Verna. I haven't really driven the post 2015 facelift but considering that we are talking about an upgrade and the fact that most of the Indians do so in 3-5 years, its safe to assume that the majority of them would have the 2013 model or lower.

IMO I think the Elantra is a pretty good upgrade from the Verna. Except for having the same diesel mil, theres just no way the Verna can stack up against the Elantra considering the space & equipment it has on offer along with the competitive price it offers infront of the other cars in its segment. Thats why I said, for chauffeur driven people, its a nice upgrade but for self drivers go for the petrol Elantra or the diesel Germans.

Another important thing to consider is that a previous Verna owner wont have that much of peace of Mind while upgrading to a German as he will loose out on the bulletproof reliability of Hyundai, something that VW or Skoda are known to be poor in. Considering all these facts, I mentioned the last line in my previous comment and yes thanks for appreciating my comparison.
Starfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 14:56   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I read through the entire review, and barring a slightly underpowered diesel engine plus a slightly restrictive variant choice, failed to notice any cons !
Aditya & me had a tough time listing the likes & dislikes (especially the latter). This is a rare Team-BHP review where the number of likes are more than the dislikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
The best aspect I liked are the cooled seats - I see you mention that the front seats are cooled. So I take it that they haven't added the feature for the rear seats? Given that this segment tends to veer toward the chauffeur-driven consumer, I find it a tad surprising.
When it comes to cars with a low local content (such as the CKD Elantra), features are usually a cut-copy-paste from international markets. Globally, the Elantra is a self-driven car, hence...

The Indian market is unique; I've even seen a chauffeur in a Nano! The driver's salary will be 2X - 3X the car's EMI .

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2016 at 18:52. Reason: Low local content
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 16:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Aditya & me had a tough time listing the likes & dislikes (especially the latter). This is a rare Team-BHP review where the number of likes are more than the dislikes.

When it comes to cars with a low import content (such as the CKD Elantra), features are usually a cut-copy-paste from international markets. Globally, the Elantra is a self-driven car, hence...

The Indian market is unique; I've even seen a chauffeur in a Nano! The driver's salary will be 2X - 3X the car's EMI .
"Low import content"? Surely you mean high import content if it is a CKD kit imported here.

But I see your point that they just ship the product over and assemble it here and hence haven't localized it based on India specific requirements. I have a tendency of looking at cars from a Bombay centric perspective forgetting that roads are wider and emptier in the rest of the country. So I just feel if I was to buy a self drive car I would want these features in a big hatch or a smaller sedan. I do hope they launch the Verna with the same features.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 08:51   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
May I point a doubt? Isn't the sensor behind the IRVM for the Auto-headlights? The dimming sensor is at the front along with the button to activate. And as far as I know, the actual mirror itself is the sensor where in the dimming Gel gets electrically activated when light shines on the glass. Sorry for the nerd-ity
Hey,

That is indeed the mirror auto-dimming sensor. It was also present in the VW Ameo. The auto headlamp sensor is located on the dashboard.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st October 2016 at 08:54.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 12:37   #36
BHPian

Wow now that's a potent package! Awesome Jaguar type looks, first in segment features (especially ventilated seats), impressive touch screen unit (with spit screen that too) and adequate engine.

Oh, but why can't hyundai not spend more money on r&d focusing more on sharper dynamics and better road manners and a turbo petrol?!

After that, there's no stopping it. As proved by creta, people are willing to pay for expensive hyundai products.

Don't know why though, this car reminds me of One Plus..
Old 1st November 2016, 01:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Well, here's how I see the value proposition > the Elantra has to pay much higher duties as it falls in a bracket of >4m+>1.2 L engine, also the costs associated with the production of the 2.0/1.6 engines and/or the 6 speed automatic transmission. There is much better raw-material usage on the inside, better tyres, better wheels, better body-structure and sheet gauge both. There is a bit of hollowness to the i20 (much better than its Asian rivals) but still, it doesn't feel as symbiotic as the Elantra which feel solid and moves much more tightly than the i20. Having driven both, I feel there is no comparison.. if the i20 costs close to 10-11L these days, the Elantra can easily push 20L. The rest is naturally due to better margins which is warranted in a bigger car.

What I was trying to say was that while the i20 & i10 (even the Creta) are segment leaders in interior quality and far ahead of the competition, the Elantra doesn't continue to maintain this distinguishing quality for Hyundai. Not debating the VFM proposition, the Elantra is definitely well priced for what is being offered.

And of course other components and raw materials are much higher quality in the Elantra than the i20, that is a given in this segment.
Old 1st November 2016, 08:25   #38

Great review! Have the opportunity of taking a test drive of Octavia style plus 1.8 TSI and the new Elantra petrol AT last weekend (almost back to back by hoping both showrooms in Chennai). I currently drive a 1.6 Vento TDI highline since Aug '13 having clocked 63k and am looking to change soon.

Driving dynamics and ride comfort: Octavia 1.8 is spot-on and is typical to most German cars. But having owned a Vento for 3+ years have come to realise that this comes with costs towards the "Service attention" this car demands. Nothing too bad as such, just that you need treat her well - service it at the right schedule, replace parts as mandated by VW (shelf life) that the dealer suggests and report issues upfront for fix etc . German cars can never be abused like the Toyotas or Hondas or maybe even the Hyundai. Back to the test drive - felt the Elantra is as good as the the Octavia, and a lot better than my Vento in the ride quality (but guess am comparing two different segments here - Vento/Elantra). The crispness of the drive handling of the Elantra is probably just one small notch below the Octavia (or even my Vento) but am fine with that given everything else this car has to offer! Couldn't test on highways but this Sunday the city roads were quite empty so did get to throttle a bit. Hard acceleration with Elantra was a bit funny as the car revs well but once you look into the speedo you realise you have only just hit 60 kmph for all that noise you made for a while! This is nowhere close to Octavia 1.8 that was explosive with hard throttle and in fact even my 1.6 Vento feels and paces better with the turbo kicking in.. But in city conditions Elantra should just suffice and on highways it should reach triple digit speeds albeit in a very linear way that still does the job but yes, may not be that exciting as its German counterpart.

Interiors: Octavia is plush, but I liked the Elantra's interiors better. The ICE of Elantra also appears to be a few notches better (intuitive) and sounded better as well (had plugged in my iPhone through cable connector with both cars). Both cars have Apple Play.

In Chennai the Octavia Style plus 1.8 is priced at 25 Lakhs (on road) and this Elantra SX(O) AT priced at 22 lakhs (onroad).

My take - Elantra has better value of money by all means and in city commute would keep you happy. But if you are an enthusiast keen on perfection seen with city and highway and don't mind the extra 3 lakhs to spend - Octavia would be the one to go for!
seeths is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 09:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The Hyundai Elantra has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 12.99 - 19.19 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

• Spacious, high quality interiors
• Refined diesel & petrol engines mated to smooth 6-speed automatics
• Suspension delivers a comfortable ride & neutral dynamics
What you won't:

• Neither engine offers explosive performance. 1.6L diesel lacks the punch of competition's 2.0s
• Uninvolving to drive. Jetta & Octavia are a lot more fun on the highway

This review has been jointly compiled with Eddy. Thanks to him for the expert observations!
Thanks for the awesome review!

Sharing a video I took with shibup driving. He is tall and I sit right behind him. Will ask him to share his review since he drives a Polo GT.

Picking a liner I heard in the Hexa review- the owner will get chauffeur driven most of the times and hence made there rear seat comfortable and spacious. They also knew that owner would also drive during weekends and hence made the front seat also great. Excellent thought by Tata.

Why I added this about Hexa here is coz Hyundai gives the cooled front seats only for Auto versions !!! Should have given as an options for rest of the Elantra verions too. Nuts!
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 11:41   #40

Features wise the car is a great move forward and even though it has gone conservative with the horses under the hood, they would be more than good enough for Indian conditions.

I just have a couple of flies in the ointment which would prevent someone like me from plonking nearly 25 big ones on the table.

Firstly, the rear seats provide nearly no upgrade in terms of under thigh support and comfort over something like the City or even the Ciaz, for six footers, and that is nearly a deal breaker for that kind of money.

Secondly, the exterior looks. It is a personal thing but the Elantra doesn't look elegant. And the sunroof looks like an afterthought.

Also, when we go into that range of cost, why don't manufacturers provide flat folding rear seats which adds so much to the convenience and practicality of any vehicle.

All said, this is definitely an upgrade but is it going to be worth nearly twice the Verna or the city on the road?
Old 1st November 2016, 14:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Boot lamp too. Underside is very unpleasant to look at and doesn't even get a proper coat of paint. While there are no unduly long screws, the unclad hinges and sharp edges look bad:
That's a sub woofer or a dummy?

I also felt that the gps were super quick and the maps, excellent.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 15:35   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
That's a sub woofer or a dummy?
Dummy. All the speakers (4+2 tweeters) in the car are located on the doors.

Quote:
I also felt that the gps were super quick and the maps, excellent.
Totally agree. It's one of the nicest systems I have used.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:26   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is a rare Team-BHP review where the number of likes are more than the dislikes.
Perhaps I can be of some help.

The rear bumper offers very little protection to the trunk lid. Understandable on a sub-4m car. Not on a D-spec sedan.

The lines are similar to what we see on the pricey Genesis..es.
Looks good. Does nothing.

It's also on the pricier side. The variant that makes most sense IMO is the base petrol. That one is priced very well for getting footfall to the showrooms.

The Elantra is not a driver's car. If I'm buying it, it's for decent reliability and to be chauffeured around. Why would I want to pay for his luxuries? Won't mind missing those if I'm relaxing behind the driver.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 2nd November 2016 at 11:29.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only who likes the previous gen Elantra more than new one in exteriors looks? Infact I think it was the most proportionate fluidic design from Hyundai. The new one is just meh.
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

These new Hyundai's are actually making a very strong case for themselves - maybe not for self driving, but they are becoming vehicles an enthusiast wouldn't mind having in the garage as a chauffeur driven option given the better suspension, top notch safety, build quality (I am sure it will rattle less than the Laura we have currently), and features.

Heck - if we were to replace the Laura today, this would be my pick in the top of the line AT Diesel combo (for safety, smooth drive, refinement, overall value, etc.). It may not be the fastest or most involving to drive - but there are other vehicles in the garage for that.

IMO - Compared to the Octy, this offers peace of mind + outstanding refinement + better value + good ride quality; and compared to the Corolla - everything except the rear seat is literally better!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks