Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:50   #166
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Hi, I am considering the SX(O) AT petrol can any one help me regarding the FE in city and Highway Conditions? and what kind of discounts are being offered in delhi NCR region? Thanks.
Am driving the SX(O) AT petrol for the past 14 months and am getting a mileage of~9 in the city and ~14-15 on highway runs. Figures are for Delhi traffic and occasional highway runs to Chandigarh, Agra etc.

Do know that as a parent with 2 little kids i would describe my current driving style as sedate.

Hope this helps.
docprashant is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:35   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
Am driving the SX(O) AT petrol for the past 14 months and am getting a mileage of~9 in the city and ~14-15 on highway runs. Figures are for Delhi traffic and occasional highway runs to Chandigarh, Agra etc.

Do know that as a parent with 2 little kids i would describe my current driving style as sedate.

Hope this helps.
Are these MID figures or tankfull to tankfull ones ?
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:01   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Are these MID figures or tankfull to tankfull ones ?
These are tank full to tank full numbers. MID is slightly higher.
docprashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 12:16   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My monthly running is around 1300 kms and I travel around 61 kms to and fro daily. In the morning I get light traffic and reach office in around 1 hour while in evening it takes two. Should I still go for the Petrol? Also the car will be kept for min 7 to 10 years so worried about long term maintenance. My Civic unlucky for me has proved to be a white elephant.
Though 15000 - 16000 km a year is not much, the Diesel will still be easy on daily cash flows.

With Rs. 70 for 15 km, the Diesel shall save you more than Rs. 4 lakhs in 7 years, when compared to Rs. 85 for 10 km with Petrol.

So even if you happen to spend an unforeseen Rs. 70k to 1.25 lakhs once in 7 to 10 years owing to an unexpected failure (like injectors, turbo etc.), the Diesel Elantra shall be more economical than the Petrol one. It will also be easier to re-sell. Considering your running of around 1,50,000 km in 10 years (and your care for the car), such failures are least expected. What you will be paying more will be for the battery, the suspension parts (maybe) and fuel filters. And you will need to be careful with the Diesel quality.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 13:09   #170
BHPian

To add to this:-

I have been driving a pre-loved 2016 1.6 CRDI AT Elantra for the last 3 months and have covered around 5000 kms - almost 85% of which has been in the city.

During peak rush hour runs, I manage ~12kmpl in the city, which shoots up to 14.5 if my working hours change. I reside in Chandigarh, so you may deduct 1 or 2 kmpl to make it equivalent to Delhi driving conditions, but nowadays, even Chandigarh isn't that much congestion free than Delhi as it used to be.

On the highway, I have personally seen the figure move up to 18 easily (even 21 for stretch which included close to 500 kms of only highway driving, with no congested cities in between)

All FE measurements are based on tankful to tankful method, MID usually shows about 1 kmpl higher

All the runs are with 100% AC, but more or less sedate driving in ECO mode.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh

Last edited by jsrakkar : 23rd August 2018 at 13:10. Reason: FE measurement method added
jsrakkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 15:25   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
City Cycle : 8kmpl is your best bet
Highway : 13-14kmpl. May extract a km extra with Cruise Control.

You might want to consider the diesel if city economy is an issue. It is not a bad drive and the engine is very refined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your help guys. The main reason for getting a petrol is the power compared to the diesel in Elantra as this is going to be replacing my Skoda Laura Tdi and we already have a Creta with same engine which I consider to be underpowered . FE is big factor as I have almost 2000-2200 km usage every month . Now i am very much confused which car to buy.
Old 23rd August 2018, 20:44   #172
BHPian

Test drove the SX(O) AT Petrol yesterday. Liked the drive in the city and the sport mode on the highway. If you are a sedate drive its a wonderful car I think, push the pedal to metal and the engine becomes noisy as the gearbox gets a little confused.

The driver seat comfort was exemplary, so was the co-passenger. But my mom and wife on the rear seat complained of some vertical tossing.

So looking for answers from existing owners, if this behavior is common for all Elantras or was it because of an abused / not so well maintained Test Drive car ?
Old 24th August 2018, 02:24   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Now i am very much confused which car to buy.
Well; you could get a Skoda Octavia Tsi or diesel automatic.

To be honest, you can't go wrong if you were to buy a Elantra diesel automatic. Yes; it is the same engine as your Creta and that is not a bad thing. It is a reliable motor.

Your only other reliable option is a Toyota Corolla petrol. It will drink as much gas as the Elantra. This car won't necessarily spice things up besides a Hyundai though.

Or step down and get a Honda City which offers pretty much all the bells and whistles you need and a sweet 1.5l petrol motor.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 06:57   #174
Senior - BHPian

Does the Elantra scrape when fully loaded? Also how does it handle bad roads? The confusion is between the CUV/Sedan type vehicle.
Old 24th August 2018, 09:08   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Does the Elantra scrape when fully loaded? Also how does it handle bad roads? The confusion is between the CUV/Sedan type vehicle.
During my TD, it was fully loaded with 5 people, me and the TD executive in the front. My parents and wife at the back. In Bangalore I deliberately took it on bad to very bad patches and huge unscientific bumps, not one scrape
shrk_18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 09:43   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Well; you could get a Skoda Octavia Tsi or diesel automatic.

To be honest, you can't go wrong if you were to buy a Elantra diesel automatic. Yes; it is the same engine as your Creta and that is not a bad thing. It is a reliable motor.

Your only other reliable option is a Toyota Corolla petrol. It will drink as much gas as the Elantra. This car won't necessarily spice things up besides a Hyundai though.

Or step down and get a Honda City which offers pretty much all the bells and whistles you need and a sweet 1.5l petrol motor.
Well i completely agree with you that the sensible Upgrade option is Skoda Octavia , but the there is Almost a 7 lac price difference between the two. Regarding the Honda City we already have CVT at home and I hate driving it. The DSG+TDi Combo has spoiled me a lot in terms of drive,power and FE. i guess the sensible option seems like the Elantra CRDI AT + Remap thats could solve the issue. Thanks for your Suggestions.
Old 24th August 2018, 10:21   #177
BHPian

Quote:
No scraping at all! I have driven it over varying types of roads and have not managed to scrape it even once. I know the car 'looks' very low and has only 167 MM GC on paper, but still it manages very well.

This is coming from a guy who had got accustomed to driving a vehicle with 185 MM GC and not bothering about ground clearance at all!
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 11:29   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
No scraping at all!...
This is coming from a guy who had got accustomed to driving a vehicle with 185 MM GC and not bothering about ground clearance at all!
I understand it has some under carriage protection. Is it durable?
Old 24th August 2018, 13:40   #179
BHPian

Quote:
I understand it has some under carriage protection. Is it durable?
Haven't been able to check that ever in the last 5000 kms that I have been using the car. To be honest, I haven't even seen the undercarriage personally yet, but going by the pics on the official review (Page 1) - it's plastic only, though of good quality and should offer adequate protection!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 12:33   #180
BHPian

After evaluating all the cars in this segment,
Corolla - uninspiring drive
Octavia 1.8 TSI - Skoda after sales and DSG reliability concerns
Elantra - Bouncy ride on the rear and the cabin feels less airy mainly because of the sloping down windows and all black interiors

I have decided to skip the upgrade for now. Will evaluate in a year or a couple of years

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks