Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2019, 12:29   #211
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
I don't think it ever came with ISOFIX. My 2016 SX(O) doesn't have those either.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Yes but that’s what I find strange. How can they give the feature to the creta and Verna but not to their premium offering in the Elantra ? I’m confident it doesn’t cost them that much more to offer it ?
India desperately manufacturers to allow customers to choose variants and trims with greater flexibility, the downside would be a longer wait period which can be accepted.
Old 20th March 2019, 13:27   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviationshark View Post
Yes but that’s what I find strange. How can they give the feature to the creta and Verna but not to their premium offering in the Elantra ? I’m confident it doesn’t cost them that much more to offer it ?
India desperately manufacturers to allow customers to choose variants and trims with greater flexibility, the downside would be a longer wait period which can be accepted.
If I'm not wrong, the earlier batches were CKD (I may have literally the first batch since the car was launched in Aug 2016 and mine was bought by the first owner in the same month). So, basically, they have been doing this in some other market as well! How much they really save in costs by omitting such small things is something that I will never be able to understand!

So, our cars have 6 Airbags but no ISOFIX mounts!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 20th March 2019, 14:17   #213
BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not wrong, the earlier batches were CKD (I may have literally the first batch since the car was launched in Aug 2016 and mine was bought by the first owner in the same month). So, basically, they have been doing this in some other market as well! How much they really save in costs by omitting such small things is something that I will never be able to understand!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
It is this bird brained attitude towards their customers that is causing these companies to lose prospective sales.

I've seen 4 of my friends on the look out for cars go for Octavia because the elantra doesn't offer ISOFIX.
Thankfully Indians as customers are realising the value of safety features such as ISOFIX, Airbags, ABS, etc and are willing to pay for it - although in a utopian world, I'd like to see it compulsorily introduced by legislature across all cars sold in the country. If you can't afford a car with airbags, then maybe you should save up a bit more before you bite the bullet of car ownership.
Old 21st March 2019, 20:17   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Having had children growing up during the belt to ISOFIX transition times, I personally feel ISOFIX is hugely over-hyped and a successful marketing endeavour.

A properly belt-secured child seat, i.e. checked DAILY is an equally good option. Changing car models because of presence or lack of ISOFIX mounts is overkill.

We went through loads of reviews then but ultimately chose 2 seats, a belted Mothercare and a Graco.

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st March 2019 at 20:23.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 01:07   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Having had children growing up during the belt to ISOFIX transition times, I personally feel ISOFIX is hugely over-hyped and a successful marketing endeavour.

A properly belt-secured child seat, i.e. checked DAILY is an equally good option. Changing car models because of presence or lack of ISOFIX mounts is overkill.

We went through loads of reviews then but ultimately chose 2 seats, a belted Mothercare and a Graco.

Respectfully, this may be a good read perhaps.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...eats-in-a-car/
Old 24th March 2019, 06:51   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviationshark View Post
Respectfully, this may be a good read perhaps.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...eats-in-a-car/
As a counterpoint:
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/chil...ar-seats-safer

We are anyway OT here but I still maintain choosing car models based on ISOFIX or lack thereof is not an educated way to go about.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 17:39   #217
BHPian

Finally got the audio set up done and man the sound is amazing . I got Rainbow 3 way components on front and 2 way on rear door and dd subwoofer in the boot. The same paired to DD 4 channel amp and jbl mono amp. Music is pure bliss now and could not have asked for anything more. Really thankful to Mr Sumit Chawla at Car plus and Jaanu Agarwal for the great tune up. amazing work done by the team which is clean and looks stock
Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-set.jpg

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-set1.jpg

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-set2.jpg

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-set3.jpg
Deepu Sharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 10:57   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
Finally got the audio set up done and man the sound is amazing . I got Rainbow 3 way components on front and 2 way on rear door and dd subwoofer in the boot. The same paired to DD 4 channel amp and jbl mono amp.............................
That looks like a really clean setup!
Can you please post some more pictures and cost breakup?

Also, did you change the Head Unit as well? If not, how did you manage the conversion from line-output?

I'm on the same boat as you and any pointers would be really helpful.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 1st April 2019, 12:15   #219
BHPian

Quote:
That looks like a really clean setup!
Can you please post some more pictures and cost breakup?

Also, did you change the Head Unit as well? If not, how did you manage the conversion from line-output?

I'm on the same boat as you and any pointers would be really helpful.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Hi Jaspreet
i have retained the head unit and a line converter was used to connect from the head unit to amp inputs. Shall be posting more pictures and details of the same shortly
Old 11th April 2019, 10:21   #220
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys

Need some help here

Elantra is running deep discounts now (upto 2.3L). SA claims that this is only because of Civic and nothing else. But I feel the new Elantra is due very soon.

I am looking looking at SX Manual petrol.

My usage:
Mostly for weekend and highway drives. Around 10K kms per year. My parents join for at least couple of trips and then it becomes 4 adults and 2 kids.

Here are some concerns about Elantra after my TD:
1. D segment sedans in general are not doing great(Civic started off well though)
2. New Elantra might be due very soon(I am sure Hyundai is following success of Civic)
3. I am super happy as a driver, but felt the rear seats to be bouncy on undulating road stretch.
4. Design of the seats might not make it comfortable for 3 at the rear(say 100 km drive) - While the rear seats can seat 2 in comfort, I struggled to find a good seating position when i had to make room for a middle passenger.
5. All black interior - While I loved it, wife felt black looks dull and a combination of beige could have made the cabin bright.
6. Rear window-line feels claustrophobic too.
7. Boot is reasonable(not great) but I felt the opening is narrow(I am not used to sedans) Is this practical ?

Overall, I always loved the Elantra but it is begining to feel dated now. Alloys look boring and the design looks similar to Verna. However i may not be able to afford the new launch which will easily take it beyond my budget. If I spend so much money, I intend to keep the car for a long period(7-8 years) since it may not fetch any good resale.

Coming to my dilemma, If i am as well stretching till 17-18L, I am as well tempted to consider the Harrier (may be XT variant) which is brand new and has great road presence. Rear seat of Harrier is more like a bench and can seat 3 in better comfort

Last edited by rajshenoy : 11th April 2019 at 10:22.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 11:34   #221
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Here are some concerns about Elantra after my TD:
1. D segment sedans in general are not doing great(Civic started off well though)
Now, that's a risk one must be willing to take. The recent news that Toyota may not bring the next gen Corolla to India is not helping either.

Quote:
2. New Elantra might be due very soon(I am sure Hyundai is following success of Civic)
True that. However, that can be both good and bad. The good bit being the discounts which you are getting.

Quote:
3. I am super happy as a driver, but felt the rear seats to be bouncy on undulating road stretch.
Can't really comment as I have driven only the older Elantra.

Quote:
4. Design of the seats might not make it comfortable for 3 at the rear(say 100 km drive) - While the rear seats can seat 2 in comfort, I struggled to find a good seating position when i had to make room for a middle passenger.
I'd say how often will you be carrying 3 or more people at the rear? If it is less than 5% of the total running, then it may be worth ignoring.

Quote:
5. All black interior - While I loved it, wife felt black looks dull and a combination of beige could have made the cabin bright.
The Hyundais have indeed started to look a bit dull of late(from the inside) with the Elantra and the Creta leading the pack. While I do prefer the European resemblance, but the flair is lacking. I guess you can make peace with it.
Quote:
6. Rear window-line feels claustrophobic too.
Can't really comment. But my answer to the point 4 may be applicable here.

Quote:
7. Boot is reasonable(not great) but I felt the opening is narrow(I am not used to sedans) Is this practical ?
Coming from a hatch/MPV, your feeling is quite natural and very true as well.

Quote:
Overall, I always loved the Elantra but it is begining to feel dated now. However i may not be able to afford the new launch which will easily take it beyond my budget. If I spend so much money, I intend to keep the car for a long period(7-8 years) since it may not fetch any good resale.
I agree. We were in a similar dilemma back in 2015 when we were getting the pre-facelift Jetta CL for slightly more than the Elantra S and slightly less than the Elantra SX (all diesel variants). While the Jetta's age was beginning to show, we realised that it was the best car we could get in our budget, its age not withstanding.

Quote:
Coming to my dilemma, If i am as well stretching till 17-18L, I am as well tempted to consider the Harrier (may be XT variant) which is brand new and has great road presence.
If space is the main concern, then yes, the Harrier might be a better buy. But speaking in overall terms, I feel that the Elantra is a much better package. Also, I think that what you actually need is a 7 seater SUV in the range of 16-18L rupees. Since you are not considering the current gen XUV, you want to wait for the Buzzard/Casini which should fall within your budget(at least the mid variant, XM?). The next gen XUV is also coming, but the timeline is not very clear and it might take another 12-18 months to show up.

Last edited by AYP : 11th April 2019 at 11:36.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 14:24   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I think that what you actually need is a 7 seater SUV in the range of 16-18L rupees. Since you are not considering the current gen XUV, you want to wait for the Buzzard/Casini which should fall within your budget(at least the mid variant, XM?). The next gen XUV is also coming, but the timeline is not very clear and it might take another 12-18 months to show up.
True, I don't think i will be waiting till next year. Plus the BS-VI would mean the diesel cars might just become much more expensive anyway. Bigger SUV do require that diesel torque. In fact for the same reason i also feel that the market will tilt towards sedans which are more efficient and can be powered by petrol
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 15:23   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree on this observation. Even on straight concrete roads which are not perfect, it showed bounciness at the rear. Not expected from a sedan of this segment. My wife and son, seated at the rear, jointly complained about rear seat ride.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:08   #224
BHPian

Hyundai Elantra : Official Review-img_6555.jpg

Elantra VTVT SX(O) AT 15000km Update:

Pros:
1. Still a head turner IMHO. Love the coupe like flowing profile and the squat stance.
2. Love the tail lights especially with their wonderful detailing.
3. Fit and finish is par excellence. No squeaks, rattles etc. Feels built to outlast a 100k KM.
4. Ventilated seats (brings tears of happiness in scorching +45 degrees Delhi weather).
5. Engine and gearbox performance more than adequate for both city and highway use.
6. Dual zone CC works perfectly.

Cons:
1. Mileage of ~9km/l (TBH was not one of the factors while purchasing, but just for comparison sake with the diesel ATs of the world).
2. Sound system initially seemed adequate but now I feel the need to upgrade to something more blissful for an audiophile.
3. Drive modes could have had more differentiation. Addition of paddle shifters would have been excellent.
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:34   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is surprising - assuming you're referring to the current Elantra. The even the Verna 2017 SX models come with ISOFIX mounts!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks