Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 09:49   #241
BHPian

Happy to report the 3rd service update of my Elantra SX(O) VTVT:

Time: 24 months since purchase
Mileage: 17k (I know it is on the lower side, the reason being my work took me to Mumbai too often)
Servicing done at: Koncept Hyundai, Okhla, Delhi
Experience: 9/10 (Timely delivery, courteous staff, knowledgable service advisor)
$: Spent Rs 2500/- total on wheel balancing, alignment and wiper blades (rest all covered under Hyundai 3 year peace of mind guarantee program for Elantra and Tucson)

Overall impressions till date:
The white beauty has served me exceedingly well. No rattles or any other issues have cropped. Build quality is very good. Minor battle scars are present as it is used on the Delhi roads.
Autobox is smooth as butter and the sports mode makes things lively. Avg fuel efficiency i get is approx 8.8-9 (city driving, AC always on, mostly crowded Delhi traffic)

P.S: Any advice on detailing etc in South Delhi would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR7 View Post
Now a question to Hyundai Elantra owners - does the steering make clicking noises when turned?
Have not faced this issue and did not come across a problem like this from a few of my acquaintances pottering around in an Elantra.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th August 2019 at 04:15. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 09:55   #242
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

@docprasant - Would you be able to comment on the rear seat space and comfort for the new Elantra specially for the aged if you have any experience.
I ve been particularly told that you sit low with reduced visibility and the ingress and egress is hard specially for the older folks.
Old 11th August 2019, 07:02   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
@docprasant - Would you be able to comment on the rear seat space and comfort for the new Elantra specially for the aged if you have any experience.
I ve been particularly told that you sit low with reduced visibility and the ingress and egress is hard specially for the older folks.
I had taken the test drive and had same requirement of senior citizens. Honestly ingress and egress is bit difficult, especially if they have difficulty such as joint pains

Seating is low, I guess same as new Civic.
Apart from that the window lining is higher and coupled with black interior, one might feel claustrophobic (sunroof may help).

Seats However are wide and enough leg room as well. You can easily seat three in the back(but the seat contouring makes it uncomfortable for middle passenger).

Why don't you take a longish test drive with your folks and take their opinion as well.

Octavia or Corolla has much better ingress and egress, if that is your prime requirement.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 11th August 2019 at 07:05.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 07:55   #244
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the feedback.
I am getting great deals on used Elantras and I personally like the car as well. Also, my experience with Hyundai has been good for the last decade or so.
However, it is for my folks and I will not be driving nor sitting in it. It should be okay as long as they drive but with a driver I know they would be uncomfortable. But compared to the Elantra the Corolla is spartan though has more rear seat comfort.
I am strictly looking at the market used.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 01:01   #245
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post

Autobox is smooth as butter and the sports mode makes things lively. Avg fuel efficiency i get is approx 8.8-9 (city driving, AC always on, mostly crowded Delhi traffic)
Yes, the AT Petrol is a really good car to drive in the city - effortless steering and smooth with good acceleration. Sport mode really gives the car a different character! Sometimes I have had lags and small jerks during the gear shifts in eco and normal drive modes - have you noticed them in your vehicle? A few times (5-6 times so far) while starting up the vehicle and shifting the gear in D, the vehicle doesn’t move - once I give sufficient acceleration input, I hear a loud twang / thud sound and then the vehicle moves forward with a jerk - could it probably be an issue with the transmission i.e the pin slotting in?

8-9 kmpl in a Delhi is pretty decent! I get only 7-8 kmpl in Chennai (though I drive during peak traffic in the central areas). Our Crysta 2.8 ZX AT gives 9-10 kmpl under similar conditions! The FE estimation on the Elantra’s MID is a tad optimistic and is around 0.4-1 kmpl lesser than the tank to tank top-up calculation method. Once I got just 6.7 kmpl. Anyway, with a 2-litre naturally aspirated engine, we have to make peace with it!

Which fuel grade do you use for the car? I have been filling BPCL Speed 91 5-6 months into vehicle ownership onwards. Would using premium fuel, say Shell Power or Speed 97 make a difference in performance, FE & engine life?

Quote:
My folks find our 2017 Elantra’s rear seat a bit uncomfortable and my dad complains of low back pain after sitting for a long time in the rear. He is of the opinion that his previous 2012 Honda City had a more comfortable rear seat - the Elantra’s rear seat is pretty low slung and makes ingress and egress challenging for older people. Anyway he is now used to the middle captain seats of our Innova Crysta (de facto gold standard now), so obviously the Elantra’s rear seats would be no match for that! He uses a friend’s 2011/12 Corolla when he flies out of town and he finds the Corolla’s rear seat more comfortable than the Elantra’s. His main complaint is that he feels tired after sitting in the Elantra’s rear seat, where as he doesn’t feel as tired sitting in the Corolla’s rear seat for a journey of around roughly 2-4 hours - but his journey in the Corolla is mainly on highways in South TN whereas the Elantra is in and around Chennai city and that too when I’m using our Crysta.

The all black interiors and low seating of the Elantra may make it a bit claustrophobic for a few people, though I did not feel this way about it - however I felt a bit uncomfortable sitting in the rear seat of the creta and the Tucson (demo / showroom cars) with their high window-line - it felt I was sitting in a pit!

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback.
I am getting great deals on used Elantras and I personally like the car as well. Also, my experience with Hyundai has been good for the last decade or so.
However, it is for my folks and I will not be driving nor sitting in it. It should be okay as long as they drive but with a driver I know they would be uncomfortable. But compared to the Elantra the Corolla is spartan though has more rear seat comfort.
I am strictly looking at the market used.
I now spend more time in the front seat and less in the rear in the personally owned cars I use, so I really can’t give an opinion on this but I’d say nothing matches the comfort of the Crysta’s middle captain seats! Why don’t you consider a used Innova crysta? There would be some price overlap on some trims with the Elantra

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th August 2019 at 04:16. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
SR7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:25   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, personally speaking i have always been in the front seat. However i asked the same to my parents, in-laws and wifey and this is their view point:
1. Width is adequate and sitting 3 abreast is not a challenge.
2. The rear air con vent is useful.
3. Rising window line makes things a tad dark.
4. Seating is a little on the lower side (not knees up) and ingress and egress might be challenging to those of advanced age.
5. Wish list- Ventilated seats at the back would be an absolute boon.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:31   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the AT Petrol is a really good car to drive in the city - effortless steering and smooth with good acceleration. Sport mode really gives the car a different character! Sometimes I have had lags and small jerks during the gear shifts in eco and normal drive modes - have you noticed them in your vehicle? A few times (5-6 times so far) while starting up the vehicle and shifting the gear in D, the vehicle doesn’t move - once I give sufficient acceleration input, I hear a loud twang / thud sound and then the vehicle moves forward with a jerk - could it probably be an issue with the transmission i.e the pin slotting in?

8-9 kmpl in a Delhi is pretty decent! I get only 7-8 kmpl in Chennai (though I drive during peak traffic in the central areas). Our Crysta 2.8 ZX AT gives 9-10 kmpl under similar conditions! The FE estimation on the Elantra’s MID is a tad optimistic and is around 0.4-1 kmpl lesser than the tank to tank top-up calculation method. Once I got just 6.7 kmpl. Anyway, with a 2-litre naturally aspirated engine, we have to make peace with it!

Which fuel grade do you use for the car? I have been filling BPCL Speed 91 5-6 months into vehicle ownership onwards. Would using premium fuel, say Shell Power or Speed 97 make a difference in performance, FE & engine life?
No jerks and lag felt mate. Did not hear from others about an issue like this cropping up either.

The mileage I achieve is owing to the fact that I now drive with a lighter right foot as I have young kids on board. Little changes in the driving habits make a big cumulative difference.

I am using normal petrol, never was a fan of the fancy stuff. I believe that is good enough for a 2.0 naturally aspirated heart. 97 et al might just be overkill.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:34   #248
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the views.
I guess it pretty much rules out the Elantra then. The rear seats are going to be used as much as the front and the general conses seem that they are seated low with difficulty getting in and out.
Cant look at the Innova, already have the older one with captain seats but also because my mother does not want to drive any thing bigger than the Honda city which I ve already pushed to the Elantra.
The search continues.

@sr7 - Speed 97 is not going to make a difference in your car. You ll end up spending to much on fuel for zero to negligible difference if any while driving. It might run a little smoother but not enough to warrant a shift to 97.

Last edited by bigron : 12th August 2019 at 11:37.
Old 13th August 2019, 14:54   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the views.
I guess it pretty much rules out the Elantra then. The rear seats are going to be used as much as the front and the general conses seem that they are seated low with difficulty getting in and out.......
I would concur with what everybody else has chimed in here. Being using an Elantra for the last 15 months and I can safely vouch that this isn't a car to be primarily used for the elderly. Our other car is an Ertiga and my grandparents prefer it much to the Elantra.

Though we have been on multiple 200+ kms trip, and my parents who sit at the back have never complained about ride quality, back pain or any other issues, but getting in and out is definitely not a breeze.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 16:19   #250
BANNED

Quote:
P.S: Any advice on detailing etc in South Delhi would be much appreciated.

Have not faced this issue and did not come across a problem like this from a few of my acquaintances pottering around in an Elantra.
Hi I too own an Elantra and can vouch for the butter smooth performance . As for Detailing suggest to visit Feynlab a unit of Car Plus . What a job they do though location is in Patparganj Industrial Area close to Anand Vihar bus stop. Truly remarkable in their skills for detailing.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th August 2019 at 11:24. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Deepu Sharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:12   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepu Sharma View Post
As for Detailing suggest to visit Feynlab a unit of Car Plus . What a job they do though location is in Patparganj Industrial Area close to Anand Vihar bus stop. Truly remarkable in their skills for detailing.
Noted Sir..hopefully i would be able to take out time to pay them a visit soon. Some battle scars of the daily grind need a little attention. Also a little pampering the ride goes a long way.
Old 1st September 2019, 20:22   #252
BHPian

Any feedback on the mileage from Elantra owners in Bangalore.

I get about 7-8 kmpl in the city traffic (Sarjapur Road-Electronic City through Silk Board). The service center was mentioning that I should get a minimum of 9 kmpl in the city.

On another note, for a Bangalore-Chennai trip, I got 16 kmpl with very light traffic and fuel filled from a HP petrol pump. For the return journey Chennai-Bangalore, I got 13 kmpl with moderate to high traffic, and fuel filled from a Shell petrol pump.
vinodrkn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 20:10   #253
SR7
BHPian

Quote:
Now a question to Hyundai Elantra owners - does the steering make clicking noises when turned? I had an issue with these noises around 10 months of ownership - took it to the service centre and the issue was with the steering rack which was replaced under warranty. There were no issues after that until now - for the past few weeks, I have noticed that this sound has returned. It looks like Hyundai is yet to rectify the steering issues with the rack even now. Can anybody else share their experience?
As a follow up to my previous post quoted above, I had also been hearing bassy thuds (a techno percussion kind of bassy thud, not the regular hard deep bassy thuds which emanate when the Elantra goes over undulated surfaces) from the front right wheel well / suspension for a really long time when the car went through potholes / bumps on the road, even at moderate speeds. I subsequently gave the car a couple of weeks back for the 2nd year service (late on my part by a couple of months), the issue was diagnosed that the front right shock absorber was damaged and would be replaced under warranty. I opted to take the car back from the service centre after the regular servicing as the the replacement shock absorber would take 2-3 days to arrive from Mumbai to Chennai - the part promptly arrived in a couple of days and I dropped the car off post the extended Vinayagar Chaturthi weekend as I had plans. The work was over within a day, the car was delivered to me neatly washed, waxed and cleaned (on both occasions, I may add ). The invoice mentions the replaced part as Strut (Shock Absorber) Assy - FR, RH. It has been over a week now and I have not heard any techno bassy sounds emanating from the front right wheel well, even on pretty undulated roads. This solves this issue - now I have to wait and watch if the steering still makes clicking noises when being turned fully while parking.

I had insisted on a battery health check-up as our Elantra had completed 27 months of ownership and the test report indicated RO replace the battery. The service centre personnel told they could not replace the battery under warranty since I had delayed the service by 2 months and hence the 24 month warranty period for the battery had elapsed
Old 20th January 2020, 10:19   #254
BHPian

Hello!

I've been patiently eyeing used car listings in the NCR for a new Elantra or Octavia for the past few months. After much thought and deliberation, I have ruled out the Octavia because of its dreaded DSG failure issues. The Elantra, in comparison, doesn't seem to suffer from any major long term ownership problems.

Would appreciate a heads up on any specific issues to look out for?

I'm keen on a 2017 or newer SX (O) model at around 13 Lakhs. I found a few with their factory warranties intact, but was wondering if Hyundai has an extended warranty scheme?

Would really appreciate any pointers. Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:32   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Hello!

I've been patiently eyeing used car listings in the NCR for a new Elantra or Octavia for the past few months. After much thought and deliberation, I have ruled out the Octavia because of its dreaded DSG failure issues. The Elantra, in comparison, doesn't seem to suffer from any major long term ownership problems.

Would appreciate a heads up on any specific issues to look out for?

I'm keen on a 2017 or newer SX (O) model at around 13 Lakhs. I found a few with their factory warranties intact, but was wondering if Hyundai has an extended warranty scheme?

Would really appreciate any pointers. Thanks in advance.
Being the owner of an pre-loved 2016 SX(O) 1.6 CRDi having covered more than 75000kms, I can safely vouch that the Auto Transmission doesn't seem to have any issues.

Even normal maintenance and servicing charges are very nominal (8-10k after every 10k kms).

Normal warranty is till 3 years and extended warranty of +1 or +2 years can be availed till the last day of 3rd year warranty.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed