Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2017, 09:45   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

@su_spatil
The low beam is a halogen bulb projector with very clean cutoff and illuminates well, reach is also decent with cutoff line in low beam covering much more than most vehicles, this is probably due to high placement as compared to othe cars. An upgrade here not really needed and most here have not done anything, but being a Projector a HID kit should not be an issue. High is a 60W halogen bulb in reflector with adequate illumination and reach, if you really want it, a upgrade to 100W with relays will be plug and play.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 10:11   #1982
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hexa XE (base) variant finally caught on camera.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image21.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image41.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image31.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image12.jpg

Offered in only the White shade and in only the manual transmission option, the Hexa XE is equipped with a detuned version of the 2.2L engine which produces 150PS & 320Nm, whereas all other variants of the Hexa carry the 156PS & 400Nm version of the 2.2L VariCOR under their hood.

Credit to my friend Gautam for sharing these.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 10:39   #1983
Senior - BHPian

Is the XE variant For taxi segment?
Old 13th May 2017, 11:20   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Hexa XE (base) variant finally caught on camera.

Offered in only the White shade and in only the manual transmission option, the Hexa XE is equipped with a detuned version of the 2.2L engine which produces 150PS & 320Nm, whereas all other variants of the Hexa carry the 156PS & 400Nm version of the 2.2L VariCOR under their hood.

Credit to my friend Gautam for sharing these.
It is also the variant which has not seen a price hike.
su_spatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 12:19   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I interpret X"E" = "economy" grade for people who are stretching up from compact sedan/suvs etc. but why only white? is beyond me..

Tata seems to be consciously not offering its New launches Tiago, Tigor & Hexa to the commercial segment despite being lucratively priced.
Moto$apien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 12:41   #1986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by su_spatil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
I interpret X"E" = "economy" grade for people who are stretching up from compact sedan/suvs etc. but why only white? is beyond me..

Tata seems to be consciously not offering its New launches Tiago, Tigor & Hexa to the commercial segment despite being lucratively priced.
I've seen the Hexa in white a few times on the road and honestly, it looks very taxi-like. And these were all top end Hexas with the 19'' alloys. IMO, they should simply discontinue this color ASAP and provide a de-chromed black option instead.

That said, Hexa XE does make a fantastic case for itself as a taxi given its robust mechanicals, huge space, ultra comfortable ride, superb seats and reasonable price tag. It can effectively take over from the Innova/Crysta as the default cab option for anyone who wants to travel comfortably.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 13th May 2017 at 12:42.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 18:43   #1987
Distinguished - BHPian

A few more shots of the elusive XE variant, courtesy my good friend Gautam.

Comes with a 5-speed manual transmission, manual AC, and a non-touchscreen 6-speaker Harman audio system (4 speakers + 2 tweeters).

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image2.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image4.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image3.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image5.jpg

Quote:
Nope, although I keep hearing reports that some sold Hexas are being used as taxis, probably by independent owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_spatil View Post
I wasn't aware of the price hike across all variants, except the XE, till now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
but why only white? is beyond me.
Maybe because it's the cheapest out of the 5 colour options for the Hexa.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th May 2017 at 18:45.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 01:10   #1988
BHPian

Not just the taxi segment, the XE variant makes perfect sense for someone looking for a 7 seater on a budget. Think of it this way - OTR difference between the XE & XM variants is near 2Lakhs, & for that amount the only real difference in terms of features is the engine & the driving modes (However, it misses out on the Dynamic mode which is the best of the lot).
You get the same safety kit & interiors, but for the extra money spent you still don't get climate control, cruise control, rear parking camera and have to upgrade your sad wheels to alloys, get fog lamps/drls, leather wrap the steering & get parking cameras, the same upgrades you'd make in XE.
If there are no issues with the absence of touchscreen (5" inch anyways), 2 tweeters, rear wiper, a little chrome here n there & a few other aesthetic changes, XE makes more than sense since the engine in 320nm tune is no slouch either.
The biggest problem for me is that XE is available only in white . No offense to the owners, but white just doesn't do any justice to the Hexa whatsoever. Tata could have easily charged 5-6k to offer the color of customers choice, a request
r0nit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 14:18   #1989
BANNED

Re: Tata Hexa : Poor service experience and humiliation by tata motors official

Hello guys, I am putting up this post on the behalf of a friend called Anubhav Lamba. It's a classic example of how poor after sales and their bad attitude can spoil a brilliant product like Hexa. Here are some details about the car and the owner:
  • Car name: Tata Hexa XT 4x2
  • Dealer: Oberoi Motors, Dehradun, Uttarakhand
  • Booking: First week of January 2017
  • Delivery: 2nd April 2017
  • Owner Name: Mr. Manoj Rai
  • Owner Residing at: New Tehri, Uttarakhand (Around 120 kms from the dealer location)

So after booking in the first week of January 2017, they were promised a delivery in the month of February. Come February, and still the dealer was clueless over when the car is reaching them. Finally after a lot of calls and e-mails, the car had finally reached the dealership stockyard in March end and was delivered to the customer on 2nd April 2017.

Clutch Plate Replacement
Hexa owners may be knowing of a small whoosh whoosh noise that comes while backing off the throttle while changing gears etc. Since this is a strange noise, so they complained of it right on the day of delivery itself. Now either out of their lack of experience or their incompetence, the dealership guys called him back for and inspection and zeroed down on the faulty clutch plates. On 5th April, after the owner gave a go ahead and the clutch plates of his brand new car which didn't had even 1000 kms on odo, were replaced.

A quick small test drive and it was observed that they have worked really hard on a wrong diagnose.
The noise was still there. So, this was the situation, in the words of owner himself:
Quote:
On 5th April, they changed the clutch plates but at the time of test drive the voice was again heard, now their statement was "Its a EURO-4 engine and this noise comes from them, its a feature of the car". Then I said, "If it was a feature then why you guys changed the clutch plate and the pressure plate", now they had no answer.
Mr. Ankur, State Head In - Turbo Out!!
Now the customer dropped an e-mail to Tata motors customer care and Mr. Ankur, who happens to be the person appointed to take care of this issue. We really appreciate this step from Tata motors. So, Mr. Ankur, along with his teams (Incompetent?) had zeroed down on the turbocharger as being the culprit. So the new turbocharger was ordered and the older one was replaced with it - in fact, both were new as the car itself 'was' new then (They haven't left any newness in the car).

The noise was still there!!

Incompetence and Humiliation of car owner by field service manager
Now since the issue was as it is. Customer simply told Tata guys to show the same noise in other cars too, if it is at same level. If it is so, he will sit quietly. Now his car was called again for inspection and he was told that he can drive with heavy foot as there is no such noise at high engine speeds. Now Mr. Ankur started driving and he drove everywhere and at varying speeds, all in third gear itself, telling the owner that yes sound is there but see, now it is either zero or very less. On this, owner asked him to drive like we do normally - same situation again. Now Mr. Ankur agreed that many cars have this noise but this particular car has it a bit higher. Then he gave his unique idea that drive with music volume higher!

Anyhow, the owner returned back home. Now yesterday evening, he called the Field Service Manager Mr. Vikas Rana (Dehradun) to express his concern. And Mr. Rana was furious over him. His words in the owner's words:
Quote:
"Aap chup raho, gaadi bilkul theek hai. Ab hum aapki koi baat entertain nahi karenge".
"Oh shut up, we will no entertain anything you say now"
And cut the call
He called him again and this is how it went on:
Quote:

Owner: I want to meet you.
Vikas (Tata Motors Field service Manager): I don't have time to meet you. I won't entertain any of your complaints. You can do whatever you can. Also I own an XUV and it's plagued with issues, still I am happy because one doesn't get more for 18 lac.
Finally the phone call was cut after the customer had a minor argument with this person. Now the frustrated customer is even planning to sell off his Hexa.

Concern(s)
  • Is a field service adviser authorized to talk to a customer in this manner?
  • After a customer buys a car, A.S.S. is the place he has to visit for any complaints, where will this customer go, when the service manager himself is against the customer?
  • If they didn't knew the right issue, why change clutch plates and turbo and spoil the actual factory settings of the vehicle?

The video below is the weird engine noise the car is making. Please notice the rubbing noise coming in time and again:

The call history below shows the time calls were done with 2 repeated calls back to back, and Mr. Vikas not picking any calls of the customer.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170515-14.05.09.jpeg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170515-14.05.12.jpeg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170515-14.05.14.jpeg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170515-14.05.17.jpeg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170515-14.05.20.jpeg
VKumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 14:50   #1990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Hello guys, I am putting up this post on the behalf of a friend called Anubhav Lamba. It's a classic example of how poor after sales and their bad attitude can spoil a brilliant product like Hexa. Here are some details about the car and the owner:
I was when I read what you have posted. Never knew a dealer can commit such atrocities on a so called "premium" customer's car. Regarding the turbo issue, this is what I have managed to gather:

- The whoosh that you get around 3rd or 4th gear is actually the fins of VGT opening up as reported by a number of owners and shouldn't be anything to worry about. Still, it would be reassuring if some other Hexa owner can shed some light on this noise.

- I would say get the car diagnosed at another service centre in case you are still adamant to do so. And try to escalate this to the higher ups at Tata to see that this imbecile so called Field service manager Vikas Rana gets what he deserves.

- The statement that shocked me the most is the XUV and Hexa comparision and the 18 Lakhs dialogue. I have paid those 18 big ones and I have the right to know what is wrong with my vehicle. Is this what you call A.S.S Tata?

If Tata doesn't do anything about this, it is sad to say but the Hexa will face the same fate as the Aria, albiet, due to a different reason.

Last edited by vishy76 : 15th May 2017 at 14:53.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 20:29   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
@su_spatil
The low beam is a halogen bulb projector with very clean cutoff and illuminates well, reach is also decent with cutoff line in low beam covering much more than most vehicles, this is probably due to high placement as compared to othe cars. An upgrade here not really needed and most here have not done anything, but being a Projector a HID kit should not be an issue. High is a 60W halogen bulb in reflector with adequate illumination and reach, if you really want it, a upgrade to 100W with relays will be plug and play.

Rahul
Question about the HEXA headlight.
Can the high & low beams be switched on simultaneously or is it a toggle between both?
Old 15th May 2017, 20:41   #1992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Can the high & low beams be switched on simultaneously or is it a toggle between both?
Low beam is projector only.

High beam is low beam + long throw halogens.

High beam performance is not as good as it should be for a touring vehicle. Needs upgrade. However, I doubt if the setup can take high wattage halogens. The size of the high beam enclosure is pretty small and the extra heat might lead to premature blackening of the plastic.
Old 15th May 2017, 20:43   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
When in high beam mode, both low beam and high beam headlights are on at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Low beam is projector only.

High beam is low beam + long throw halogens.

High beam performance is not as good as it should be for a touring vehicle. Needs upgrade. However, I doubt if the setup can take high wattage halogens. The size of the high beam enclosure is pretty small and the extra heat might lead to premature blackening of the plastic.
Better than using higher wattage halogens, a good idea would be to use HIDs or aftermarket LEDs. They consume less power than any halogen and naturally would be a lot less taxing on the battery and circuit components of the car, and all are definitely more reliable in the long run than halogens.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th May 2017 at 18:25. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
rshnvjy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 21:45   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
Better than using higher wattage halogens, a good idea would be to use HIDs or aftermarket LEDs. They consume less power than any halogen and naturally would be a lot less taxing on the battery and circuit components of the car, and all are definitely more reliable in the long run than halogens.
Would recommend not using HIDs upper of 4300k rating as the yellow component would be absent providing a little blue tinge. This in turn hampers visibility when going fast, or when the roads are wet during rains.
Old 15th May 2017, 23:47   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
The video below is the weird engine noise the car is making. Please notice the rubbing noise coming in time and again:
Sounds like hiss from the turbo charger's boost relief valve. I do hear a similar sound in my Zest upon revving the engine and then letting go of the throttle. Have observed the same in other Zests too. I don't feel it's anything​ to worry about.

But immature actions by untrained but overcautious service men should be looked into.

Last edited by ampere : 16th May 2017 at 10:54. Reason: Removed video link from post
fuelinmyveins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks