Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:56   #211
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Thank you libranof1987. I guess this really is an off topic subject. I don't know whether we have thread to discuss topics like this or not. But I certainly do not want to spam Hexa's thread with generic functionalities of cars. If we do have such a thread where we could discuss the pros/cons of various functionalities in cars, we can continue over there.

Coming back on Hexa, the MID background shows hexagonal shapes. Just like the theme carried over the badge and air dam. Pretty cool

Last edited by driverabhi : 2nd December 2016 at 15:56. Reason: Fixing typo
Old 2nd December 2016, 18:09   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Raven_avi thanks for the information. Are you sure the Sunroof is available as an optional accessory and it is coming from Tata itself means no warranty void + decent fit/finish and quality.
Yes, the sunroof will be a part of the optional accessory list for the Hexa, under the "TUFF" accessories range.

Quote:
Tata is offering a slew of chrome-plated accessories to add some bling to its exterior, such as a chrome line on the upper portion of the grille, chrome garnish on the headlamps and taillamps, chrome ORVM caps, and chrome door handles.
Other exterior accessories include black-plastic garnish above the foglamps, side steps for easier entry, black-plastic bumper extensions on both ends and roof rails with a roof box.
Inside, customers are offered optional features such as a sunroof, heads-up display, iPhone wireless charging plate, exclusive seat upholstery, floor carpets, and gloss black trim for steering wheel.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexatuffsunroofaccessories.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexatuffsunroofbuttonaccessories.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 19:40   #213
Team-BHP Support

Tata Hexa : Official Review

I would NOT opt for a sun roof that's not straight off the factory. Even if it is Tata blessed dealer level installation.
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:55   #214
Senior - BHPian

The one above doesn't look like a dealer fit as the roof liner is also different. It might be factory customised which would mean a longer waiting period for someone opting for a sunroof.
Old 3rd December 2016, 09:09   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
XTA 4x4 is in the pipeline. If the Hexa meets with decent success after it's launch, expect the XTA 4x4 to follow 6-7 months down the line.

Birdies report that there won't be a 4x4 AT with Multi-Drive modes on offer, because of cost reasons.

My buddy is waiting for the auto 4x4, though looks like he will be disappointed with the deletion of the multi drive modes.

Anyway, something is better than nothing. The only other auto awd option is the XUV and it doesnt have any multi mode or race mode.

The dealer in Thiruvananthapuram had said the TD cars will arrive on the second half of November. And its December now, still no calls.
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:32   #216
BHPian

Hexa has arrived yesterday at lalbhagh road, Bangalore. TD available from today. Excited!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 3rd December 2016 at 11:51.
Old 3rd December 2016, 13:08   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Here are two shots of the Hexa standing next to the old Safari Dicor, courtesy Akash1886@TAI.

Nice comparison of the evolution in design & styling elements between the two Tata behemoths - one from the past, one coming in the near future:
DICOR still holds a charm. Even against the Hexa. A true timeless design, if ever there was one.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 13:21   #218
BHPian

Considering how Tata seems to be paying attention to feedback on public forums, I want to add that they should consider giving 6 airbags and the ESP on the XM variant as well, at least as an optional extra(Safety Pack). There is absolutely nothing I would miss from the XT version in the XM version other than the additional airbags and the ESP.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 19:08   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hexa has arrived in a major dealership in Gujarat.

Pics courtesy Ron @ WhatsApp.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image6.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image2.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image3.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image5.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image7.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image4.jpg

Meanwhile, Hexa XM 4x2 in 6-seater config spotted testing in Coimbatore some days back.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image1t.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image2t.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 4th December 2016 at 21:38. Reason: as requested
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 13:00   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
What are the functional benefits of having a push start/stop button and key less entry in a car, except for the feel good factor?
Yes feel good factor or call it novelty, something which owner can showoff getting into the car and starting the engine without taking the key out of the pocket. But, I can vouch for the immensely convenient factor after using it in my XUV. Now that most of the manufacturers are now introducing it in the higher variant as differentiating factor when customer pays premium over the base variants, hence the obvious expectation.

Quote:
Is it because it makes stealing the car somewhat difficult?

For key less entry in the car, what if you had gone out of station for say 2 weeks and the smart key runs out of battery? You would need to call someone to get your car unlocked if the smart key does not have an actual key in it.

Please pardon my ignorance and give your thoughts that why people are asking for this functionalities in the car.
No, pretty much all these cars have fail safe procedure. As in XUV if the battery in the smart key dies, there is a mechanical/manual key you can pull out from the smart key itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Hexa has arrived yesterday at lalbhagh road, Bangalore. TD available from today. Excited!
I just called up Concorde Motors Dairy circle they haven't received Hexa yet.Do update if in case you get TD.
Old 4th December 2016, 13:42   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

No, pretty much all these cars have fail safe procedure. As in XUV if the battery in the smart key dies, there is a mechanical/manual key you can pull out from the smart key itself.
Yes. One can open the vehicle. But, if the battery of the smart key ran out, one cannot start the vehicle.
Old 4th December 2016, 15:34   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

I just called up Concorde Motors Dairy circle they haven't received Hexa yet.Do update if in case you get TD.
Prerana motors in labhagh road had it. Had done a TD yesterday. Very very impressed!

Concord may get it in the first half of this week. Just guessing!
Old 5th December 2016, 02:12   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Team,

Here is the Tata Hexa Owner's manual, in PDF format (244 pages):

HEXA_Owners_Manual.pdf

Some important points which I noticed (haven't gone through the entire manual in full detail yet):

Child Restraining System (CRS) details.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-1.jpg

Instrument cluster details - notice the neat circular layout of the warning lamps inside the tacho & speedo?
Tata Hexa : Official Review-2.jpg

Digital Fuel bar changes colour according to the fuel level in the tank.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-3.jpg

For extracting the best fuel economy, stick to these speeds for the respective gears.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-4.jpg

Recommended speeds for each gear during the running-in period (for manual transmissions).
Tata Hexa : Official Review-5.jpg

Gearshifts in the Automatic variants - explained.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-6.jpg

Driver Assist features #1 - Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Traction Control System (TCS), Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC).
Tata Hexa : Official Review-14.jpg

Driver Assist features #2 - Roll-over Mitigation (ROM), Corner Stability Control (CSC), Electronic Brake Pre-Fill (EBP), Engine Drag Torque Control (EDTC), Hill Descent Control (HDC).
Tata Hexa : Official Review-15.jpg

Driver Assist features #3 - Hill Hold Control (HHC), Torque-on-demand (TOD) transfer case.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-16.jpg

Driver Assist features #4 - TOD continued, Cruise Control & recommended speeds for using it.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-7.jpg

Service intervals - first 3 are free services.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-8.jpg

Limited Slip Differential (LSD) present in ABS-equipped variants, absent in ESP-equipped variants.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-9.jpg

Difference in tyre/wheel sizes. Also note the alternator capacity.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-10.jpg

Different kerb weights & gross weights of the entire Hexa lineup.
Kerb weight range is 2,094 kgs - 2,280 kgs.
Notice the XMA 4x4 listed in both 6-seater and 7-seater configs?!
Tata Hexa : Official Review-11.jpg

Warranty details - 36 months or 1,50,000 kms for the engine, whichever is earlier, & the rest of the vehicle gets 36 months or 1,00,000 kms, whichever is earlier.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-13.jpg

Extended Warranty details.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-12.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th December 2016 at 02:37.
RavenAvi is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 08:54   #224
BHPian

Finally seen the Hexa in flesh and test driven the XTA variant @ Prerana motors, Lalbaugh road, Bangalore.

Like's:
1. Looks macho especially with those 19 inchers and have great road presence.
2. Clean body lines with uniform panel gaps almost everywhere.
3. Good paint quality
4. Cabin is spacious and feels premium. Interior plastic quality finish are good.
5. Captain seat are just awesome. Third row seat is good for two adults, may not be comfortable for >6 feet taller one's.
6. ICE is amazing
7. NVH is great, even though engine cranking shake is felt in the cabin (not a concern but observation)
8. Remove the feet from brake pedal with gear lever in "D"mode, vehicle starts moving without any accelerator input
9. Once vehicle moves forward, you won't realize it's weight of 2.2+ tons
10. Gear shifts are butter smooth and engine is always at slightly higher RPM's and waiting for the "A" pedal push. This is one of the best torque converter gear boxes I have driven till date.
11. Air-condition is pretty effective and cools the whole cabin very fast.
12. Suspension and ride are just great. I am mighty impressed.

No so good:
1. Steering feels tad smaller size for this macho vehicle. Badly missed telescopic adjustment
2. No space to keep your smart phone in the front console, this is small but very important one
3. Access to third row in not so comfortable in 6 seat configuration vehicle
4. Brake's should had little more bite. Higher disc brake size could have improved this as well as looks (currently discs look punny for those 19 inchers)
5. Driver hand rest is not of much use on highways due its weird shape.

All in all Hexa is a great vehicle which is having more positives than negatives. Kudos to TATA team
hillsnrains is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 10:36   #225

Took a very brief test ride (Bangalore). They had only the XTA variant. My first impressions.

[+]
- Looks excellent all around in flesh (after having seen photos for so long!)
- The NVH is excellent
- Does not feel like you are moving around 2.2 tonnes once it rolls. The auto box is very responsive.
- The last row was very decent for the family (I am 190 cms, so did not try)
- AC Vents nicely positioned across the vehicle for rapid cooling
- Material and stitches look very good. The sunblind is a nice touch for the middle row
- Driver seat is awesome. The contours are great and felt lovely. Wanted to drive forever!
- Suspension was good. Soaked up the potholes and bumps that came along.

[Not so +]
- The mid row captain seats are a bit too long on the base and high as well. Someone around say ~5 feet might not be able to reach the floor!
- The mid row captain seats do not tumble forward. Makes reaching 3rd row a pain.
- Hand rest in the front is neither useful for driver nor navigator
- Looking at the footwell, I think the manual one is going to be very cramped (no place for dead pedal I am sure)
- With all six seats up, the boot space seems lesser than Innova

Apart from this, I felt bad on a couple of counts. After doing so much, why would Tata do this to themselves? The dealer's staff don't look prepared! Regarding features they had a illegible Xerox sheet listing the variants. They would have been better off saying they don't have anything in terms of collateral instead of that. The person who came along for the TD was nice, but clearly clueless on various things. He did not know about the sports mode on the automatic. And many of the finer details which we have read here or in other auto magazines. They need to fix this now.
rajag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks