Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2017, 00:16   #2656
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Would have been more due to negligence of the installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
Screw on side step was so big that it has punctured the fuel tank ,
Btw It is possible to lower the step an inch or two, to make it easier for seniors to climb in / out
Old 15th August 2017, 06:24   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
Any idea about the price for the side step? My mother is almost 70 and has painful knees. I will definitely have to get the side step to make getting in and out of hexa for her.
Sometimes the simpler solutions are cheaper and more effective. I suggest a small but robust/stable footstool. Someone will have to do the placing/picking every time, but with a 70 year old, the weight of the door may make being at the door to do this necessary anyway.

I am not sure how effective the installed steps are to help older people that aren't as agile as kids that may cope with these.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 07:26   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea about the price for the side step? My mother is almost 70 and has painful knees. I will definitely have to get the side step to make getting in and out of hexa for her.
Official side step from Tata are costly around 14000 but aftermarket one are available around 5000-5500 with lot of choices .

Last edited by Anuruddhs : 15th August 2017 at 07:27. Reason: Wrong spell
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 13:21   #2659
BHPian

Just a thought. Since both the Hexa XMA/XM/XE and the Nexon share 16 inch wheels, would the Nexon alloys be a suit for the Hexa, both fit and aesthetics wise?

Last edited by mobydick1983 : 15th August 2017 at 13:22.
Old 15th August 2017, 18:22   #2660
BHPian

I have another question. Is it possible to change from 6 seats to 7 at a later date? I mean I am planning to get a 6 seater for the time being but may find later that a 7 seater would suit me more. Is that possible without much fuss?
travelex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 19:19   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have another question. Is it possible to change from 6 seats to 7 at a later date? I mean I am planning to get a 6 seater for the time being but may find later that a 7 seater would suit me more. Is that possible without much fuss?
Modification as such might not pose a problem but the vehicle's RC shows it as a 6 seater. If RTO decides to dig deep, it might be a problem.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 19:21   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Modification as such might not pose a problem but the vehicle's RC shows it as a 6 seater. If RTO decides to dig deep, it might be a problem.
Hmm. Agree. Insurance too?
Old 16th August 2017, 10:28   #2663

Happy to announce we joined the Hexa family last Sunday. Took delivery of our XM in Blue from Concord Motors, South Extension, New Delhi. (Happy with their service so far)

Quick observations - Had been trying to get a detailed view of the XM before booking it, but for whatever reason just couldn't find one. Told a couple of dealers to call me in-case they got one for delivery, but didn't hear back from them either. Anyhow, cutting a long story short - decided to take the plunge and go with it. I had driven the XT a couple of times and was completely sold on the car.

Having taken delivery I can now say that the XM seems like pretty decent value for money albeit Tata could have done just a little bit more to make it a sure shot winner. Things like Auto folding Mirrors and fog lamps are fairly necessary in a car this size IMO. Also, the lack of a 6 seat option was a downer - would have definitely preferred captain seats if it were optional.

I had the Fog lamps, Side steps, rear guard and mats installed pre-delivery - Quality on all of them is top notch, my grudge however being that the fog lamps they install are not the same as the XT. The ones Tata offers are round with circular DRLs going around the Fog lamps, now even though these look nice - they just don't stand up (aesthetically) to the ones installed on the XT, functionally not sure how different they are. Having driven the car a fair bit over the last 2 days I feel the parking camera seems like a good investment ti make - Tata however charges 20K for the system they have, here again this is not the same as the one the XT (it does not display on the HDU) they swap out the rear view mirror for an embedded screen option - which is also okay, but 20K seems a little rich here, considering I can get fairly good options outside for half the cost, dont know how this would affect my warranties however - Any suggestion on what I should go for here? Cheers!!
swami jive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 11:11   #2664
Distinguished - BHPian

Going OT but somewhat related to Hexa.

The roads in my area have deteriorated significantly on account of rains. So much so that, a 25-30 feet long patch on the main road is under ~2 feet water. All cars go nimbly and crawl around the outer patch to cross area. Some (including SUVs) decide to return. Yesterday evening, I saw a Hexa (XTA) driver take the inner and deeper route in the inundated patch, without any apprehension.

Today morning, I saw that the main road is closed (for repairs probably) and all the cars are diverted through a by lane in front of my apartment. It's a narrow concrete road and was finding it difficult to cater to the heavy traffic inflow, leading to long pile-ups. While I was watching this traffic jam, I saw the same Hexa take a turn behind my apartment before the pile-up started, into a muddy slushy road which everyone avoids. Only a few school buses and trucks use it when necessary. The driver didn't slow down much and it seemed the Hexa took all the mud/slush and potholes with ease.

Last edited by ashis89 : 16th August 2017 at 11:12.
ashis89 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 12:19   #2665
BHPian

Pune folks, can you please help with the right contacts with the dealership for a TD?
I have been trying to get a TD of XT Manual for last 4 days but haven’t been successful. Ironically, the place where the vehicle is manufactured has the least number of dealerships . The call number on the Hexa official website got me call back promptly with a promise to pass on my lead to the closest dealer however it died down there. Call to individual dealers did not meet with success either. Concorde motors mentioned that their Manual variant vehicle is out of Pune for next 4 days! Similar problem with National Autowheels. However, I was impatient and visited their showroom and did a TD on XTA. The manual variant however remains elusive yet. More calls on Monday to both dealers got me no result.

I called up Mahindra folks for the XUV TD and the sales person was prompt in calling back and with multiple calls back and forth, I could do a TD within 4 hours of me making the first call.

On the TD experience,
  • I took the TD on both Hexa XTA and XUV W10 FWD MT and will present my comparative view. It wouldn’t be a fair comparison because the XUV was a demo vehicle driven for 52000 odd Kms and felt like battered vehicle while the Hexa was driven for 12000 kms only.
  • Hexa was undoubtedly good. Being my first SUV experience, I was surely overwhelmed by the size. I had taken my entire family of 5 ( 4 adults + 1 kid ). Wife and kid occupied the last row during the TD and had no problems or discomfort during the TD. With our recent and fresh experience on the last row in XUV, it was obviously more spacious in the Hexa.
  • First thing I noticed while I got in the vehicle was a missing side step. Obviously my parents had slight trouble getting in the car. For a top end vehicle, I expected the OEM to provide it as a standard fitting. The standard accessory was quoted at 16000 INR which I found steep. Will have to find alternatives.
  • Hexa scored very good on the ride quality parameter, however I wish to TD the XUV on a relatively new vehicle to make it a fair comparison.
  • The driver seat in Hexa gave me a feeling of being perched atop, thereby giving me a full view of the front while in the XUV, I got feeling of being slightly sunk in the seat and I wished I had a better view.
  • The ICE in Hexa did not impress me much though. Maybe because I had read too many good reviews about it was expecting far too much. I had connected my phone with the infotainment system through Bluetooth and tried playing two songs. The system behaved strangely funny and kept switching between those two songs at its own will. Not sure if it was the lag of my phone or something else.
  • I believe I have shorter legs and I drive with my seat at the nearest position to the steering wheel. This caused me two problems.
    1)The driver arm rest was virtually unusable since my elbow couldn’t rest anywhere. The weird shape of the arm rest made it worse.
    2)While I got out of the vehicle. I bumped my knees in the front. This never happened with me on my Indigo Manza and remained on my mind even after I got home after TD.
    Both the above mentioned were not experienced in XUV.
Having said that, it was an overall a satisfactory experience and to me the Hexa top end variant scores equally well as that of XUV and priced lesser too. Had their been a Sunroof on the Hexa, I wouldn’t bother comparing it with XUV and would go for it.

Waiting for the TD on the MT and another TD on a newer XUV before I make up my mind.

Thanks
R
Old 16th August 2017, 12:41   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Going OT but somewhat related to Hexa.

I saw a Hexa (XTA) driver take the inner and deeper route in the inundated patch, without any apprehension.

I saw the same Hexa take a turn behind my apartment before the pile-up started, into a muddy slushy road which everyone avoids. Only a few school buses and trucks use it when necessary. The driver didn't slow down much and it seemed the Hexa took all the mud/slush and potholes with ease.
Hexa seems to be quite adept at mud-plunging! In the right hands its a real brute

The videos are piling up by the XTA Owners showcasing their shenanigans. See below for your viewing pleasure.

Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 13:07   #2667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
The videos are piling up by the XTA Owners showcasing their shenanigans. See below for your viewing pleasure.
While the vehicle indeed seems quite adept in handling tricky situations, some of the above videos seems like show-offs where the vehicle is bordering on being abused, rather than used. The ones I witnessed were situations created on the road on any given day during our daily commutes.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2017 at 13:46. Reason: Removing youtube URLs from quoted post = repetition.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 15:52   #2668
Team-BHP Support

I see water exiting from the gates in 2 of the videos. Any aftermath video of the cabin area?

A Storme is a better choice for making similar videos. But no matter what, videos do show Hexa's strength. Now if someone would do a Hexa's vs XUV video at similar place.

But there appeared to be solid ground underneath and hence the AWD didn't have to work hard it appears. Maybe a bit of slush would have spiced things up.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th August 2017 at 16:29. Reason: As per request, text added.
Old 16th August 2017, 16:40   #2669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
But there appeared to be solid ground underneath and hence the AWD didn't have to work hard it appears. Maybe a bit of slush would have spiced things up.
The Hexa, in the water wading videos, is a XTA and hence it's 4x2. No AWD present. Some more respect for it.

On the other hand, due to the slow-motion video, one can't judge the speed/momentum being maintained by the driver (you can hear the driver revving the engine). In couple of places, the water level all over the bonnet even though momentarily. Won't it reach the air intake?
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 16:47   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While the vehicle indeed seems quite adept in handling tricky situations, some of the above videos seems like show-offs where the vehicle is bordering on being abused, rather than used.
I completely agree. The first video especially is way too risky. There is no need to try all this, even if you are borne and brought up in that area. You can never guess water current and disaster can strike any time.

On another note, I love the Hexa. I would never do such 4x4 activities. So a XTA 4x2 is perfect for my kind of usage pattern. Considering all available options in this price range, Hexa is much ahead of competition, in price to feature to power ratio. And I am not a fan of any Mahindra vehicle.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed