Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2017, 09:57   #2761
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but honestly this is like beating a dead horse

1. The thread was from 2009-2010. Yes there were reliability issues then and no one disagreed.

2. The said model - Safari Dicor 2.2VTT no longer sells.

If you purely look at after-sales-service stories on this thread for Hexa Owners, you would definitely see a marked difference. Yes, there is no poll or data, but for any regular reader on this thread, this is very visible.

This may not necessarily be the case for Tiago/Tigor users, but Tata Motors seems to been going out of their way for Hexa Owners.

BTW, we do have threads on Innova Crysta niggles and Maruti AMT woes by respective owners, but that does not reflect in their respective reviews. Probably due to a small data set, then why single out Tata Motors?

Actually, the poster whom I answered was asking whether we had any data for Safari. If you look at my post, I have clearly said we do not have much data.

Only after a vehicle has been in the market for 2-3 years, the reliability issues come up.
Old 27th August 2017, 18:20   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, we do have threads on Innova Crysta niggles and Maruti AMT woes by respective owners, but that does not reflect in their respective reviews. Probably due to a small data set, then why single out Tata Motors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Only after a vehicle has been in the market for 2-3 years, the reliability issues come up.
Correct. A manufacturer's intent to provide effective service should be noted & Tata has been attempting to do that recently.

I've been following threads for both Creta & S-cross closely and boy-oh-boy are they facing some serious mechanical issues.
Old 28th August 2017, 08:54   #2763
BHPian

1. Yes, lets agree to disagree.

2. When it comes to me and my family circle, while advising a vehicle, I usually do NOT care about the comments/prejudice on the topics of "service" and "reliability" comments of few vehicles - like Fiat or Tata or VW. I don't remember what other brands carry these comments from TBHP review even though they are poor in certain areas.

3. Since its mentioned, a vehicle needs to be in market for 2 to 3 years to arrive at their "service quality" and "reliability", lets not have these 2 bullets on day 1 of the review in the "summary of what you would like and what you wouldn't like". Because, this is definitely a mis-leading or mis-judged comments.

As "sachinayak" mentioned, this topic is a "dead horse". I don't think anyone can convince any of the TBHP official reviewers to make these corrections for Tata brand.

BTW, I do respect the TBHP review and in most cases, here is the most comprehensive review that one can get. However, there are areas where they could/should change while they comment on.
Of course, we are NOT in a perfect world. So, I take what I should/want and go with my judgement on other "unacceptable" areas of review comments.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 09:20   #2764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
1. Yes, lets agree to disagree.
Service levels are becoming a hit and miss with even the biggest auto company in India - Maruti.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ive-thane.html

We have seen similar feedback on Toyota dealerships.

But given the extreme herd mentality of the Indian car buying public, it will take time for public perceptions to change.

I am not sure though, if the comment reg service in T-BHP reviews is based on actual data or based on public perception. If its the latter - it probably will stay there for long. If not, maybe we as a forum can lead the change as we have done with regards to the quality of reviews we churn out.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 09:58   #2765
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Correct. A manufacturer's intent to provide effective service should be noted & Tata has been attempting to do that recently.

I've been following threads for both Creta & S-cross closely and boy-oh-boy are they facing some serious mechanical issues.

Surprised to see this post. Please share the post links of mechanical issues faced by the owners of Creta and Scross.

Tata SVC especially concorde is a gamble. I have experienced Tata and Toyota Svc's in pune. Toyota in Vapi & Dhule too. Never faced any issue with the Toyota svc's but in case of Concorde the service center staff is too lethargic. The same issues have cropped up in our nano inspite of repeated complaints. They just don't seem to do it right. I could get these things sorted at my FNG but then what's the point of the extended warranty? Oh yes I had complained to TML too but it was again diverted to Concorde. Not a single call from TML inspite of me registering a complaint on call & on mail. I kept getting a call from the Concorde relationship manager. Finally I have given up. This experience was between January to May 2017. Now doesn't this qualify as a bad experience? On the other hand, while traveling to Rajasthan recently my Corolla's steering wheel was having light vibrations post 80kmph. The WA and WB was done at a tyre shop near my place 500kms before we started. I called Rathod Toyota at Vapi and they confirmed my appointment. Within 55 minutes the car was ready. A trial was taken, Wheel balancing was done immediately while they were doing that we were offered a TD of the Crysta and as soon as we were done with the TD, our car was ready for the second trial. Bill settled and we hit the highway. Normally it takes me 1-1.5hours inspite of having a service appointment at concorde baner to hand over my vehicle. Last time it took my brother 4 hours to get a service advisor and the loaner car broke down 200mts away from concorde. I am sure some of us had a great experience with Tata but most of us have faced issues. Atleast my friends and relatives have. I really wanted to replace the Nano with a Tiago diesel but my mom & brother(who uses the Nano) are strictly against Tata now. They have improved on the product part but the ownership experience also relies on the after sales. They definitely have a long way to go there.
Old 28th August 2017, 11:25   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Can you please share a link to the 'serious mechanical issues' on the SCross thread? I remember only one such incidence so far in the last 2 years. Rest of the issues were immediately rectified by MSIL/Nexa, so cannot term these as service issues. If a manufacturer does not rectify an issue or tries to run away from the responsibility, then it qualifies for a bad service experience in my opinion.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 11:43   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Rest of the issues were immediately rectified by MSIL/Nexa, so cannot term these as service issues.
While i agree, partly to your statement, the very fact that the product was launched with issues itself is concerning. A quick response from the manufacturer however in many cases does help people forget the issue - a classic example would be XUV500 at its launch and how Mahindra was super responsive in addressing initial issues/niggles.

Unfortunately, we seem to not use the same yardstick for everyone.

When the Innova Crysta was launched and there were issues reported by users regarding the 17 inch tires in the Z variant, what did Toyota do? They replaced 17 inchers with 16 inchers and everyone was happy. People praised Toyota for being so responsive.

When Tata Motors had issues with the Dual mass flywheel in the Aria and replaced it with Single mass flywheel, there was a hue-and-cry that Tata Motors was cheating customers.

In both cases, the respective manufacturers were responsible for not having caught the defect in the course of their product testing, but the market response to both was not identical.

Guess winners have it easy.
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 11:57   #2768
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a query. I am seeing a lot of XT and XTA models. I can see the DRLs to be on on some of them while they are off in a few others. Don't the DRLs remain on all the time? Are they to be turned on using some switch? Or is this feature "activated" somehow at the dealership?

I have seen several XUVs too where the DRLs are not on during day time while they are on in some others. Sorry if these features have been described somewhere and I have missed them.

Quote:
In both cases, the respective manufacturers were responsible for not having caught the defect in the course of their product testing, but the market response to both was not identical.

Guess winners have it easy.
+1 to that.

Sorry for deviating from Hexa.

I can think of quite a few issues seen on recent Maruti launches in the premium segment, most of which are completely ignored by MS. And yet we have accepted the products as it is.

1. The "dancing" projectors issue on Baleno, S Cross (and Brezza?)
2. Suspension problems on Baleno
3. Cracking fog lamps on the Brezza
4. Fogging headlights on the Brezza

I am not listing the rattles in new cars as it is genuine Maruti trait (I own a Maruti). People can also refer to regular clutch replacements on Maruti AMTs but I am not yet sure if it's a Maruti only flaw.

Maruti has never issued any recalls or official replacements for the above issues. MASS has replaced the parts on warranty if the customer continues to complain. Sometimes they have denied replacements saying that is how the product/part is designed to behave (dancing projectors case).

The only mention on our official reviews for these cars is "average" build quality which IMO doesn't suffice. I believe these items should be clearly highlighted in the negatives in our reviews for products of other OEMs.

Last edited by ashis89 : 28th August 2017 at 12:03. Reason: Self check
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 12:24   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I had a query. I am seeing a lot of XT and XTA models. I can see the DRLs to be on on some of them while they are off in a few others. Don't the DRLs remain on all the time? Are they to be turned on using some switch? Or is this feature "activated" somehow at the dealership?
Yes, DRLs can be switched on/off using the headlight knob. Two flicks, back and forth from 'null' position to parking lamps will cause the DRLs to toggle between on and off.
Old 28th August 2017, 12:26   #2770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Yes, DRLs can be switched on/off using the headlight knob. Two flicks, back and forth from 'null' position to parking lamps will cause the DRLs to toggle between on and off.
So these are LED parking lamps only which have to be switched on unlike a DRL which is turned automatically when the engine is turned on?
Old 28th August 2017, 12:42   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
So these are LED parking lamps only which have to be switched on unlike a DRL which is turned automatically when the engine is turned on?
Once you toggle and the DRLs come on, they stay on always. So every time you switch on (not necessarily the engine but just the ignition), the DRLs turn on automatically.
It's a one time process. Similarly, if you choose to switch them off, then they remain so always, unless you turn them back on again.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 13:33   #2772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Surprised to see this post. Please share the post links of mechanical issues faced by the owners of Creta and Scross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Can you please share a link to the 'serious mechanical issues' on the SCross thread? I remember only one such incidence so far in the last 2 years. Rest of the issues were immediately rectified by MSIL/Nexa, so cannot term these as service issues. If a manufacturer does not rectify an issue or tries to run away from the responsibility, then it qualifies for a bad service experience in my opinion.
Check the Official Review threads for both.

S-scoss: Rear multil-link axle assembly was changed for many - addressed under warranty. Squeaks & rattles reported by owners (not expected from a 'new car')

Creta: Clutch issues, requiring replacement under warranty. Noisy brakes.

Can't recollect all now, but these are definitely bothersome.

Point is even the best sellers have their own set of problems. It's just that all gets 'lost' when we look at the overall picture, given the numbers these manufacturers draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Once you toggle and the DRLs come on, they stay on always. So every time you switch on (not necessarily the engine but just the ignition), the DRLs turn on automatically.
It's a one time process. Similarly, if you choose to switch them off, then they remain so always, unless you turn them back on again.
Much better than an always on system IMO.
Old 28th August 2017, 13:41   #2773
BHPian

Short review of our test drive of the Hexa - Visited KHT Whitefield, Bangalore. The staff were attentive, courteous and eager to share information on the product and offer a test drive.

Before taking the test drive we spent a lot of time checking out the build, features and comfort in the display car (6 seater). We started with the 3rd row - Seated 2 adults and a kid in the last row just to check out how cramped it could get - it wasn't and I guess this combination is ok for drives in the city. Wish there was more space underneath the 2nd row to allow 3rd row occupants to stretch out their feet. Not sure what is hidden underneath the 2nd row captain seats - a plastic cowling prevents the feet from sliding under. Back rest angle and thigh support was good. Good airy cabin.

2nd row captain seats offered excellent comfort, good ergonomics - best place place to be in the Hexa.

We then switched to the test drive car (XTA, 6 seater) to get the feel of the 1st row. Took some time to adjust the steering height and seat height so that I could rest my left elbow on the arm rest (barely) and right elbow on the door pad, at the same time getting good view of the expanse of the car upfront and legs operating the pedals comfortably. Have to say that the arm rest definitely can be be improved - with the brake lever in its top most position there is fair amount of clearance still available for the arm rest to be extended - maybe a forward sliding mechanism would help.

My wife decided to park herself in the last row - that is her usual position when we are full up in our Ertiga. The test drive was over a mix of typical Bangalore road conditions small stretches of smooth roads, interrupted by un-scientifically laid speed breakers and numerous pot holes. Nothing disturbed the Hexa - infact after taking the initial few speed breakers and potholes slowly - started having fun at how easily they were dismissed by the Hexa. Wife too confirmed that she could hardly feel any of the potholes and low height speed breakers - only one that was felt was when I very adventurously went over a big one at good speed. She did comment that she was more comfortable in the Hexa's 3rd row in comparison to the Crysta which we test drove the previous day. Autobox did its work very well - both at crawling speeds and when we stretched the Hexa's legs on a highway. Did not ever feel that this 2.2 tonne behemoth was under-powered or laggy. Overall we were pleased with the drive and comfort - felt it was better than our Crysta driving experience. KHT staff was eager to take us off-roading - had to decline as we were running out of time.

The only other negative for me was that the touchscreen display is not easy to read because of its alignment. Felt this especially when you need to see the rear view displayed on the screen while reversing. This should have been angled towards the driver for better visibility.
krish11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 16:22   #2774
BHPian

After going through the Jeep Compass (excellent) review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Jeep Compass : Official Review)), I was again convinced that the Hexa (or for that matter XUV 500) can be a far better alternative for those who want a spacious capable vehicle for 5 or 5+2 people. And in price term the Hexa brings much much more value than the Compass, with peace of mind of having an after sales support just about next door! Tatas and Mahindras have all the reasons to smile, with (or without) those ad campaigns!

I'm just wondering what will happen to the Compass when 170 HP Tatas and Mahindras will come in a year or so..

Last edited by kbishwa : 28th August 2017 at 16:23. Reason: Added the Compass review link by young Omkar
kbishwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 16:23   #2775
Senior - BHPian

Can any existing XTA owners please post the software version of the ICE ? I got my June manufactured XTA with a software that shows a Dec 2016 version.

I'm wondering if there's a later version available.

Day 5 of ownership, and the car rocks! Moving from a 2.2 Dicor Safari, I can see the huge improvement in quality and features, and its a welcome change. I got my high, seeing a Mercedes GL owner give my Arizona Blue XTA repeated once overs at the stop light!

If I were to nit pick, they should have used a better leather on the steering wheel. I feel the lack of grip on the wheel.

thanks
Srinivas

Last edited by smsrini : 28th August 2017 at 16:36.
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks