Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 12:56   #3181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Can someone please explain how this transmission noise can be identified? I am aware of the gargle noise and some noise from turbo flaps.
On the verge on taking XTA delivery. Really worried on the transmission noise part.

Other minor issues like traces of rust on few exposed parts, chrome bits coming off or some random issues are ok with me, because I know these can be fixed with TASS. However transmission one sounds bad.
It is the same gargle that is heard in the manuals and IS NOT the transmission noise. I cannot talk about that abandoned Hexa but i have a strong feeling it's got to be this as the sound comes only when gears are shifted in the automatic, or when the foot is taken off the A pedal.

This is what i know and would strongly recommend you not to let discussions on this forum effect your ownership experience. We have a very pleasant group on telegram and other platforms where constructive discussions are made and loads of information can be found.

And that's precisely why most owners have stopped updating their experiences here as it is received in a different light which is rather unfortunate. It always ends up in posts being deleted and infractions awarded.

Anyways, to stay to the topic, unlike what another member posted, the accessories and supplies/vendors that TATA have are also common to other brands, so no point going that way. The car is good, and wish the sales figures remain as they are now as it is very difficult to even reach those of XUV and Innova. Do remember, these numbers are just sales to individuals and not commercial providers.
If it were so, numbers would greatly increase and may even cross that of XUV and loose its exclusivity, which obviously we wouldn't want!

Good luck in your purchase and keep us updated! As i said, take these posts on this forum with a pinch of salt!
abhi7013 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 13:03   #3182
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Mod Note: Please note that we do NOT permit personal attacks, rude posts or fanboy / biased messages on Team-BHP.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 13:25   #3183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This 6L50 punch power transmission has a proven track record and has been in used in BMW and GM cars from 2007. I would say this must be the most reliable part in the car.
Thanks Damodar. This helps to ease out the doubts.
Old 12th October 2017, 14:13   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Thanks Damodar. This helps to ease out the doubts.
Over time, I've noticed the transmission noise REDUCE. Even if it exists, there is absolutely no performance impact.

So enjoy your ride with peace of mind.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 14:15   #3185
Senior - BHPian

Guys Guys Guys !!! lets not blow few characteristics of the vehicle as issues. The engine noise / gargle / shushing noise is the peculiarity of the 2.2 litre engine and is observed in Storme as well. I mean it - each and every storme. I had done lot of brainstorming and testing for this noise along with Tata DET engineers. This comes only when the clutch is depressed to engage to the next gear. This happens when the power from the engine just disengages from the drive shaft for a while.

The suspect / culprit here is the flex joint on the exhaust which has internal mesh which rattles. Tata has not yet been able to perfectly identify and fix this. This happens more in rainy seasons.

No THIS IS NOT A TRANSMISSION NOISE !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Over time, I've noticed the transmission noise REDUCE. Even if it exists, there is absolutely no performance impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
It is the same gargle that is heard in the manuals and IS NOT the transmission noise. I cannot talk about that abandoned Hexa but i have a strong feeling it's got to be this as the sound comes only when gears are shifted in the automatic, or when the foot is taken off the A pedal.
Perfect analysis

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 12th October 2017 at 14:26.
amit_mechengg is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 14:27   #3186
BHPian

Quote:
I somehow dont buy this explanation. The VGT valve opening is it tied to the gear change ? Why does it not come when you accelerate hard or use the sports mode ? ( in my case ).

I think its to do with the transmission rather than the VGT. If its VGT, the Storme 400 should also have this issue.
I own a Storme 400 4x4. Yes, it has this noise too. And its SO DAMN annoying! It comes up occasionally only in the range when the turbo has not completely spooled up (below 1800 rpm). Sometimes, along with the noise is a drop in acceleration too. But, above 1800 everything is normal. In fact at times, when this noise is not coming up, the engine has a nice growl to it and it pulls nicely. Now, why can't I have the same experience every time? There is an issue and it needs to be resolved. I had told my dealer in Oct'16 itself, that you're about to launch Hexa with same powertrain, what if Hexa owners come back with the same issue as my car. Better resolve it in a Storme, and avoid such scenario.

I too initially thought that the noise is from transmission. My gearbox was separated from engine in 2nd month of ownership just to check this. I believe the source is turbo.

I pursued this issue with my dealer and Tata representatives for 6 months, but in the end it was closed saying "gargling noise is normal and present in all Storme 400s".

Let me know if any of the Bangalore Hexa owners are planning to approach the company. I will join them.

P.S. Just saw a recent post. The noise in my car (which is exact same as a video posted a few pages back) comes up even when accelerator pedal is kept pressed. Yes, there is a loud grinding sound when taking foot off A-pedal near 1700/1800 rpm. But there are peaks in this "gargling" sound even before that and even without lifting foot off A-pedal.

Also agree to Torquedo's statement about quality control at Tata's ancillaries. My car had A/C issue from day 1 (like numerous other Stormes). That again was a randomly popping up thing like the sound issue. Thankfully my issue was resolved after numerous visits to dealership and involvement of OEM HVAC supplier. Some other Storme owners are still living with it.
black_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 14:30   #3187
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
!

Good luck in your purchase and keep us updated!
Thanks . Will keep you posted.

Looking forward for an enjoyable long-term experience.
Old 12th October 2017, 15:15   #3188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Boss to garner numbers, they need reliable products so that people can advocate their products and products are constituted of PARTS put together, if PARTS were not of quality they would fail and you'd have people Slugging & Sweating it out in the Sun while N Chandra would be sitting and sipping ASS center's coffee (again made out of Tata Beverages) enjoying HK on a leather sofa that TML has in abundance not coming out of manufacturing them but benches drawn out from their scores of SUV's lying in the backyard.

People need peace of ownership TML !! You have the right designs and products going for you, please improve your Quality Checks and go for a holistic change of your ancillary providers.
As I wrote on the other thread, this is why back in 2013 I was willing to risk only Nano purchase - the non AMT and non power steered version, to reduce the chances of these issues by not having enough parts in it to start with!

What the Chandras of this world - or even the Ratan Tatas - don't get is that vendor quality isn't achieved by purchase manager/engineer diktats. It is achieved by OE staff working on vendor shop floors in a spirit of partnership and engagement with vendor shop floor employees on a day to day basis to improve process quality there. More than half the battle is changing vendor culture, but it can't change if the OE culture hasn't. And TML culture with respect to attention to every detail has to still go a long way.

if I was to risk the Hexa today, it would be only the version with the lowest trim levels.

From what I read of Hexa, TML still has miles to go. Changing vendors usually isn't the answer, changing how they manufacture is. Every car making OE understands this. Indian truck makers don't.
Old 12th October 2017, 15:50   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What the Chandras of this world - or even the Ratan Tatas - don't get is that vendor quality isn't achieved by purchase manager/engineer diktats. It is achieved by OE staff working on vendor shop floors in a spirit of partnership and engagement with vendor shop floor employees on a day to day basis to improve process quality there. More than half the battle is changing vendor culture, but it can't change if the OE culture hasn't. And TML culture with respect to attention to every detail has to still go a long way.

if I was to risk the Hexa today, it would be only the version with the lowest trim levels.

From what I read of Hexa, TML still has miles to go. Changing vendors usually isn't the answer, changing how they manufacture is. Every car making OE understands this. Indian truck makers don't.
If it was that simple, we will be getting perfect cars from Maruti Suzuki. The last I checked, even they are not capable of that even with all their might. Hyundai had their share of rattling steering issues too. It all looks nice and easy from the comfort of a sofa, but reality is far from that. But I do agree, we need a change in culture. Not just among people who make cars, but also among people who buy them.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:27   #3190
Senior - BHPian

If TML is going to depend on buyers' changing their culture, they will go bankrupt in a hurry. Profitable businesses are built on meeting customer expectations better than the competition, not on hoping that customers will adapt to accept what the business is offering.
Old 12th October 2017, 16:38   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
If TML is going to depend on buyers' changing their culture, they will go bankrupt in a hurry. Profitable businesses are built on meeting customer expectations better than the competition, not on hoping that customers will adapt to accept what the business is offering.
No question about that. And I would have probably accepted that if we we were an economic forum. But it can't be denied that with a different kind of mindset towards buying cars, we would be seeing lot more interesting vehicles on our road. And for that, I hate to be living in this country. Can you imagine, MS selling hundreds of thousands of cars all running on the same old borrowed engine. I want to see some guts from a company that is making so much money. And that, Tata is exibiting, at least in the recent times.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:39   #3192
BHPian

Quote:
Indian truck makers don't.
Okay, so now folks who have the above mentality are going to counsel CEOs and directors how vendor relationships are to be maintained. Yahi baki tha abhi and now its done. Lol!

As long as u maintain the "Indian truck maker" approach, you are stirring negativity in this thread and are contributing nothing constructive here.
Please do not make use of the forum's availability and free speech to make such remarks and later play the 'can we not share our opinions' game.
If this is how it works, then i have a few choice opinions of mine too about the mentality behind your post which, if i share, will only aggravate the situation!

Whatever you have said maybe very much valid my friend, and TATA may have to work with its vendors too (which i don't agree).

But you went a step ahead and made that last statement which really takes out the whole message of your post and makes us assume you're just eager on getting your inner keyboard-warrior ready!

Request other members to avoid responding to off topic posts from now (including mine) and such statements which are made on purpose to trigger.

Just an attempt at bringing back things on course, can anyone give a feedback of the new shell diesel power on the Hexa's performance?
Am skeptical about using shell diesel as most of the folks avoid it, but i honestly don't know why!
abhi7013 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:48   #3193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just an attempt at bringing back things on course, can anyone give a feedback of the new shell diesel power on the Hexa's performance?
Am skeptical about using shell diesel as most of the folks avoid it, but i honestly don't know why!
I used it twice in my Crysta and did not notice any significant difference compared to regular fuel. I remember Fifth gear testing these so called "Posh" fuels and found out that car had maximum power in Dyno test when Shell V Power petrol was used. Not sure why you avoid Shell diesel as I find them as good as others. Only disadvantage with Shell is you don't get 0.75% rebate when you use your debit/credit card.
Old 12th October 2017, 16:49   #3194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I wrote on the other thread, this is why back in 2013 I was willing to risk only Nano purchase - the non AMT and non power steered version, to reduce the chances of these issues by not having enough parts in it to start with!

I've graduated from a Safari 2.2 Dicor to the Hexa, and will say this - You need to experience the two to understand the leaps and bounds by which the quality of TML cars has improved. I'm sure this is because of change in culture..

Make no mistake - their mechanicals are all solid, the general 'lack of quality' feelings being harbored are due to the touch n feel type of parts - doors and their internal workings, knobs, switches, dash etc.,

The electronics are well tested and robust - generally speaking, and do their job.

Every car will have its quirks, that you will not like.

The Hexa is a well put together car at a very reasonable price point, and is great value for money. If it ticks all the boxes for you- buy.
smsrini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:55   #3195
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know why Shell Diesel will be different for Hexa. I have used only Shell Diesel, not the Vpower one, normal and I get 10.5+ in city rides. I am really happy with it a good FE figure I believe considering that fact that I get past two notorious Jam packed areas in Bangalore, silk board and Marthahalli.
I have not taken my Hexa out on Highway yet.

Regards
Sandy...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks