Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2017, 22:06   #3361
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

This engine however is not BS6 compliant.
Hi Shreyans, I am interested to know more about this. Varicor 400 is a pretty new engine and I was thinking that it might cover BS VI . Sad to know it is otherwise. Could you please share the source from which you got this information. Thanks!

Last edited by bijubalan : 8th November 2017 at 22:17.
Old 9th November 2017, 00:40   #3362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
Hi Shreyans, I am interested to know more about this. Varicor 400 is a pretty new engine and I was thinking that it might cover BS VI . Sad to know it is otherwise. Could you please share the source from which you got this information. Thanks!
Hexa's Variocor is a souped up version of the 2.2 DICOR which used to power the Safari earlier. This engine is originally an AVL design, a design whose other iterations are found in a host of Mahindras (Scorpio, XUV), Jaguars (XF) and Land Rovers (Freelander, Disco Sport, Evoque), amongst others. Basically, just about all 2.2 diesels we have here are first cousins.

JLR has already developed the 2.0 Ingenium diesel engine. Tata is going the 2.0 MJD way. Long term, the days of this 2179cc motor are numbered. It's the same for our national engine, the 1.3 MJD as well. Once BS6 kicks in, it's only a matter of time before so many of the engines we currently drive are history.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 9th November 2017 at 00:42.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 09:55   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hexa's Variocor is a souped up version of the 2.2 DICOR which used to power the Safari earlier. This engine is originally an AVL design, a design whose other iterations are found in a host of Mahindras (Scorpio, XUV), Jaguars (XF) and Land Rovers (Freelander, Disco Sport, Evoque), amongst others. Basically, just about all 2.2 diesels we have here are first cousins.
Tata is going the 2.0 MJD way.
Interesting bit of information !!! So, are you saying that the 2.0 MJD in Jeep Compass is already a BSVI compliant engine? If that is true, then Jeep is really thinking ahead of its time and will succeed in the coming two years.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:19   #3364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

JLR has already developed the 2.0 Ingenium diesel engine. Tata is going the 2.0 MJD way. Long term, the days of this 2179cc motor are numbered. It's the same for our national engine, the 1.3 MJD as well. Once BS6 kicks in, it's only a matter of time before so many of the engines we currently drive are history.
And does it also mean Mahindra is also developing or moving to a new set of engines to replace the M-Hawk series (2.2 and 1.99L iterations)? Or are they going to upgrade it to make it BS VI compliant?

Tata could be planning to drop the 2.2 Dicor range after considering the cost involved in upgrading it (IF upgrade is possible) and leverage the 2.0L MJD and Ingenium engines.

Long back, I had read that Tata was working on a family of engines starting from 1.0L and going up till 2.0L(?) where the top of the line engine was supposed to be a V6. The family also included petrols IIRC. All those plans have been shelved or modified?

Last edited by ashis89 : 9th November 2017 at 10:24. Reason: Spell check
Old 9th November 2017, 10:33   #3365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Interesting bit of information !!! So, are you saying that the 2.0 MJD in Jeep Compass is already a BSVI compliant engine? If that is true, then Jeep is really thinking ahead of its time and will succeed in the coming two years.
No it's not. BS6 complaince needs DPF. We don't get DPF equipped engines, as we don't have the ultra low sulphur diesel required to run them available yet. It's all work in progress currently, with the automobile manufactures as well as the oil companies racing against the deadline to implement BS6. But the government policy on this is clear. We go straight from BS4 to BS6 in on 1st April 2020.

Off topic: BS6 complaince for diesel engines is very difficult and adds a lot to cost. Internationally, many companies are not investing on their diesel engines anymore, and are spending their R&D budgets on hybrids and pure electrics instead. Especially for small capacity diesels, where the petrol hybrid option is supposed to be more economical to develop, manufacture and comply with norms, while giving similar performance and economy.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 12:30   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post

My question is, how should I proceed to get my charges waived off?
If anyone could please provide me with the relevant notifications from the Delhi Transport Department or Kerela / Telangana / Kerela transport departments regarding these charges, the dealership might relent or these documents might help me if I decide to meet the Chandigarh State Transport Authority (STA).

Many Thanks!
This is indeed very tricky situation. I would suggest you to negotiate with the dealer directly for some cash discounts or for some discounts on any accessories you are planning to buy.
Do shoot a mail back to customer care that you are not satisfied with the way your complaint was handled and it was a disappointment in the car buying process.
I believe, TML is listening to customers and taking feedbacks seriously and they might come up with some solution which will benefit future customers .
Old 9th November 2017, 13:41   #3367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
And does it also mean Mahindra is also developing or moving to a new set of engines to replace the M-Hawk series (2.2 and 1.99L iterations)? Or are they going to upgrade it to make it BS VI compliant?
Don't know exactly how Mahindra is going about diesel BS6 compliance. What they are doing is developing a petrol engine based on the same 2.2 mHawk architecture. Plus, they are fairly experienced in electrics with the e2O and the eVerito.

Quote:
Tata could be planning to drop the 2.2 Dicor range after considering the cost involved in upgrading it (IF upgrade is possible) and leverage the 2.0L MJD and Ingenium engines.
Ingenium won't be seen inside Tata cars. It is a high tech all aluminium engine, and is made in England. It is too expensive to import and there are no plans to localize it. Especially when Tata has already confirmed its commitment to the 2.0MJD.

Quote:
Long back, I had read that Tata was working on a family of engines starting from 1.0L and going up till 2.0L(?) where the top of the line engine was supposed to be a V6. The family also included petrols IIRC. All those plans have been shelved or modified?
The 3 cylinder range - 1.2 petrol of the Tiago/Tigor, its turbo variant on the Nexon, the 1.05 turbodiesel of the Tiago/Tigor, as well as the 4 cylinder 1.5 diesel of the Nexon, they are all brand new and are developed in house. V6, highly doubt that will happen. I hope to be proven wrong on this though.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 9th November 2017 at 13:44.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 09:10   #3368
BHPian

Quick Update :
Original Post - Link

I have received few photos of the repair work being carried out. The chassis was being installed by the SVC folks including a trained Hexa service engineer. A tata engineer would visit the svc after the installation to certify the quality of work.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-broken.jpg
The broken joint of the chassis which is marked in red circle. Looking at the damage, fixing the broken joint using weld isn't an option.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-new.jpg
The new chassis that was being installed.
Funny is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 12:35   #3369
BHPian

Quote:

Off topic: BS6 complaince for diesel engines is very difficult and adds a lot to cost. Internationally, many companies are not investing on their diesel engines anymore, and are spending their R&D budgets on hybrids and pure electrics instead. Especially for small capacity diesels, where the petrol hybrid option is supposed to be more economical to develop, manufacture and comply with norms, while giving similar performance and economy.

So do you think we will go the same way or because of the demand in India diesel engine compliance for BS6 might get some R&D?
Old 11th November 2017, 15:26   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
Guys, I am thinking about getting wheel lug nut locks for my Hexa, so wanted to know the size of the lug nuts on the XT model (could not find the info in the owners manual).
If someone has already installed them, any pointers will be much appreciated.
Can anyone help me out here
Old 11th November 2017, 16:40   #3371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
Can anyone help me out here
It is either size 19 or 21. You can go to your nearest tire shop and ask the mechanic to confirm the size of the spanner that fits.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 00:00   #3372
BHPian

Friends, an overwhelming observation today. My Hexa XTA has clocked around 7400 kms and the infamous turbo fin etc. noise that was very evident during certain rpm's and during gearshifts has completely vanished.
I was so accustomed to that noise that it felt music to my years and suddenly today whole day I couldn't hear that noise at all.
It is really a pleasant surprise. Sorry, if I missed any related topic in the previous pages. But I would like to ask fellow owners if this is what is happening with their Hexa too? Is the noise fading off after munching some kilometers?
If it is so, it is a positive for existing and future owners who were worried about so many discussions on this issue
Old 13th November 2017, 07:29   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
Friends, an overwhelming observation today. My Hexa XTA has clocked around 7400 kms and the infamous turbo fin etc. noise that was very evident during certain rpm's and during gearshifts has completely vanished.
I was so accustomed to that noise that it felt music to my years and suddenly today whole day I couldn't hear that noise at all.
It is really a pleasant surprise. Sorry, if I missed any related topic in the previous pages. But I would like to ask fellow owners if this is what is happening with their Hexa too? Is the noise fading off after munching some kilometers?
If it is so, it is a positive for existing and future owners who were worried about so many discussions on this issue
Did you by any chance leave your car at the service center for first service or other minor check ups/issues? There's an ECU update aimed at reducing the gargle/fin sound. In the manual, you can clearly notice the reduction in turbo lag too.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 09:20   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Did you by any chance leave your car at the service center for first service or other minor check ups/issues? There's an ECU update aimed at reducing the gargle/fin sound. In the manual, you can clearly notice the reduction in turbo lag too.
Hi,
Have done the first service last month, that was just a simple checkup and wash. And never left vehicle for any other work.
Have you got the ECU updated? If it is available, I need to check with my service centre.

Thanks,
naddy
Old 13th November 2017, 09:57   #3375
BHPian

Your Hexa should have got an ECU update for sure if you are not observing the gargle sound that much. ECU updates have reduced the gargle noise by 50% to 80% as observed by users, including me. But it is not gone completely, however there is a significant reduction. Other than this, the steering also feels light after the first service. This is also a feedback from users who have received the vehicle after first service.

Regards
Sandy
SaNdY_AR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks