Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 20:49   #3436
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Guys a very weird thing happened recently.

Short Story: The 'Water in Fuel' warning lamp along with check engine sign came on a couple of times (stayed on for 1-2 minutes each time and automatically went off) over the last one week. Who is to blame?

Long Story: I took delivery of my Hexa XE on Nov 14 after a lot of haggling regarding the Logistics and Transport charges (of which the dealer waived off Rs 5,000).

Immediately post delivery, I fuelled with diesel worth Rs 1,000 from a pump very near the dealer (Sector 28, Chandigarh). Post this, I again refuelled after 4 days (tank full this time) from a very reliable IOC outlet (Sector 43, Chandigarh) which we have been refuelling at for the last 20 years (petrol only) and never had any problems with the quality or quantity at this outlet before.

The Water in Fuel lights came on first on Nov 24 night and stayed on for about 1-2 mins while I was parking. I started the car after a couple of hours and the lights went off. Today when the warning lights came on again (and went off after restarting), I was nearby the service station and dropped by. The ODO reads only 650 Km so far and the service advisor was pretty surprised about such a complaint.

They opened up (or drained) the fuel filter and showed me the contents in a transparent bag (contained about 50 ml of dusty water at the bottom and less than half a litre of diesel at the top). Since I was in a hurry, the service advisor suggested that I leave the car with them for 3-4 hours whenever I have the time for a full clean up of the fuel tank as well as filter replacement (agreed to cover under warranty).

My thoughts are, how did the water and contaminants get into the fuel tank? I can think of only three points of contact:

1. The fuel outlet in Sector 28
2. My regular fuel outlet in Sector 43
3. The dealership itself: If they fuel the car before delivery or the salesperson in this case. I know my train of thoughts is taking a sinister turn in suspecting the latter, but the reason I am suspecting him is that when I approached Tata to get the Logistics charges waived off, he called me the next day to take the complaint back as it is being treated as a personal complaint against him by the dealership GM. The car was in their custody for 4-5 days while I arranged finances.

Also, I don't want to get such an extensive clean up done in a brand new car. I feel I should burn the current fuel completely (currently about 250 Km worth left in there) and refuel from another Company Owned outlet. If the warnings light up again, then there's probably no other option than to completely clean up.

Your thoughts please?
sugam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 21:04   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
Guys a very weird thing happened recently.

Short Story: The 'Water in Fuel' warning lamp along with check engine sign came on a couple of times (stayed on for 1-2 minutes each time and automatically went off) over the last one week. Who is to blame?

Your thoughts please?
I faced exactly the same issue with my safari 2.2 dicor in 2007,on taking delivery from concorde Motors.

Drained the sedimentor and it was fine thereafter.

Use up the current tank full, and observe for a couple of refills. If it occurs again, then it warrants a tank cleanup.
smsrini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 23:53   #3438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
.. its the RTO who is insisting on the FIR although we tried explaining them that it shouldn't be necessary, but in vain.
Rules / Regulations to ensure that there was no accident and damage to anyone's property / injury to anyone else. A FIR is first that, but since so much time has passed, it will be tricky.

The RTO is asking for FIR from the station in who's jurisdiction this has happened.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:15   #3439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
1st anniversary is close..any whisper on some major update?
I am not sure how candid it is, but an SA told me the production of the car has been suspended, to clear the remaining stocks. I don't think they will announce any new update at this point of time, as they may push the existing stock through the year end offers.

I am in the market for XTA, waiting to see if new offers kicks in next week. If not, I will hold my horses until the 2018 Auto Expo in February. It will be good if they can punch a GPS enabled Android Auto and toss an ESP for the automatic trim.
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:53   #3440
Senior - BHPian

All,

Need a quick piece of advice.

One of my friends, who is not a tbhp member, has booked Hexa XTA, with Arya motors, Gurgaon.

The dealership is asking him for 9500/- as handling charges. While most of us on the forum are aware that this illegal, the practice is rampant! Do you guys have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Regards,
- A
Old 29th November 2017, 16:52   #3441
BHPian

I was visiting the Tata Motors showroom in Guwahati with a view to checking out the Nexon, however, this caught my eye. I had a talk with the sales staff but they were not forthcoming with a reply. The point that caught my eye was the second one "6 speed AT designed exclusively for 4wd global SUVs".
So is this some sort of indication that Tata is going to bring in a xta awd version? I hope so, else i will have to take a call between a manual 4x4 with ESP or an automatic without it.
Perhaps the resident Oracle of TBHP (read RavenAvi) can shed more light on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-wp_20171127_17_43_53_raw.jpg  

N33raj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 18:37   #3442
BHPian

Took delivery of a Blue XTA on the Sunday gone by. Colour was choice number three for us, after Tungsten and Sky Grey.

Tungsten was not in stock. Couple of days before agreed delivery date we got to know that the Grey unit was the showroom display piece. And hence Blue was hobson's choice.

No earth shattering discounts. "Insurance off" scheme was default (outside insurance quotes range in 55-60 grand region. Showroom claims a handsome 82 grand).
Paid 55xx for Zero dep.
Paid 3000 for: rear guard (priced 8000) + basic accessories kit (priced, 6000).
And 15 grand for side steps.
maven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 19:03   #3443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Saw a discount up to around Rs 70k on Hexa, offer says insurance @ Rs 1/-
My friend and I visited the Tata Showroom at Nerul today.
Vehicle tested was the Hexa XT variant in Arizona Blue which is a fabulous colour for this car.
Friend was more interested in middle row & third row comfort so we did not do a real test drive but let the sales assistant do the driving while we back seat drove him, asking him to carry out various manouvers - over bad roads, good roads, in all driving modes. Friend and I were impressed with the vehicle in the short drive we took.

If my friend is keen, then we will go for multiple test drives and self drive this time round.

While doing the usual price negotiations, the assistant mentioned that the Insurance offer mentioned by BHPian kbishwa was indeed currently being provided. He was unsure if it would continue till end December because he claims that offers change month on month. Maybe a sales tactic to get my friend to commit. I do not see Tata going into December with the insurance offer removed with year End sales to be met.

We were also informed that we could avail HDFC car loan of upto 95% ex-showroom price. Some of their loan providers also give upto 85% of On Road Price.

If my friend goes for the XT, he will save Rs 78,651 on Insurance. For the XTA, it comes to Rs 83,494.
This is quite a sum for a vehicle that will cost approx Rs 18.8 L for XT & Rs 20.1 L for XTA after discount.
Delivery is promised within 25 days.

I am attaching below the price list given to us.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image3.jpeg  

Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 21:11   #3444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
He was unsure if it would continue till end December because he claims that offers change month on month. Maybe a sales tactic to get my friend to commit. I do not see Tata going into December with the insurance offer removed with year End sales to be met.
He's actually right. Tata does change schemes every month. That is to say, it can get better also
Old 30th November 2017, 23:57   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post

I am attaching below the price list given to us.
The same insurance outside will be 30 to 35k less. Get a quote from the insurance company directly. The 2nd year premium will be impacted by the 1st year premium in my opinion.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st December 2017 at 10:56. Reason: fixing quote tag
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:17   #3446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N33raj View Post
I had a talk with the sales staff but they were not forthcoming with a reply. The point that caught my eye was the second one "6 speed AT designed exclusively for 4wd global SUVs".
That is Tata's way of advertising the Punch Powerglide torque converter box doing duty inside the Hexa's AT variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N33raj View Post
So is this some sort of indication that Tata is going to bring in a xta awd version? I hope so, else i will have to take a call between a manual 4x4 with ESP or an automatic without it.
Chances are very slim. My sources had, about a month back, denied any such variant coming in the foreseeable future.

There will be other variants next year, though.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:34   #3447
BHPian

I have heard it right from the horse's mouth, although I cant quote the source. Tata is not working on a 4x4 AT for Hexa.
Old 1st December 2017, 11:25   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Chances are very slim. My sources had, about a month back, denied any such variant coming in the foreseeable future.

Can you please tell something more about the variants that will be launched next year? I am planning to upgrade to Hexa after selling off my 6 yr old Safari. I was interested in XMA variant. I can delay my purchase if I get little bit more information on the variants that would be launched next year.

Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:35   #3449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I have heard it right from the horse's mouth, although I cant quote the source. Tata is not working on a 4x4 AT for Hexa.
Thanks.

Well, I'm not looking for 4X4 AT, but definitely waiting for AT with TCS+ESP and last row airbags.

Any chance of such variant getting launched in next 6 months?
Jyodi Backster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 12:14   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
That is Tata's way of advertising the Punch Powerglide torque converter box doing duty inside the Hexa's AT variants.

I see. Then that is that.

I had this rather interesting conf call with the chaps from the showroom and the regional office for Tata. The sales chap (=sc) called me 2 days after i had taken that photograph and asked about xta 4x4. He had on conf with him another chap who claimed to be from the regional office (=rc). We had the following conversation:
sc: sir i have with me on the line our sir from regional office. Would you like to speak to him?
me: but of course.
rc: hello sir. My name is so and so. Please ask.
me: is there going to be a xta 4x4 with ESP made available any time in the near future?
rc: sir as you know, 2wd is more comfortable than 4wd, i think you should go for the xta only.
me:
me: please answer my question. And keep in mind that i know what these technologies can do and their value in an emergency situation.
rc: I see. (probably thinking "another smart Alec"). Sir let me take on line one of our boys from the Hexa tech team (=tc)
tc: sir please ask away.
me: xta with awd and ESP please.
tc: sir we have solved the issues of GB and AWD system incompatibility; however our bosses are under the impression that such a variant will be more expensive that the xt 4x4 even. Hence we are not really pushing for it.
me: so if i want such an example, i can have it but you are not bothered to make one?
tc+rc: yes sir. That sounds about right.
me: what if i pay you as advance booking an amount of 1 mil and the rest on delivery? Take your time and build me this variant. Can you do it?
sc+rc+tc: sir do not think that is possible.
me: so you would rather be complacent?
sc+rc+tc: sir we cannot do anything as this would be a one off. Sorry.

Looks like i have to make a visit to Toyota then.
N33raj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed