Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2017, 21:52   #3616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

The BS-VI engine for the Hexa will be sourced from Fiat, according to my birdies. There's a good chance it will be the BS-VI version of the 2.0 MJD which powers the Compass, in a higher state of tune.

The future BS-VI compliant 2.2L VariCOR will be shifted to Tata's commercial vehicles.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th January 2018 at 07:38. Reason: As requested
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 22:13   #3617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The BS-VI engine for the Hexa will be sourced from Fiat, according to my birdies. There's a good chance it will be the BS-VI version of the 2.0 MJD which powers the Compass, in a higher state of tune.

The future BS-VI compliant 2.2L VariCOR will be shifted to Tata's commercial vehicles.
When is the new engine expected to come to Hexa? I wonder what is the motivation to change to Fiat engine when VariCOR can be made BS-VI compliant.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th January 2018 at 07:39. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 30th December 2017, 22:49   #3618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I wonder what is the motivation to change to Fiat engine when VariCOR can be made BS-VI compliant.
The new Fiat engine will power not only the Hexa but the new upcoming SUV's and the primary focus of TATA will be to meet the BS-VI norms for these before trying on the 2.2 Varicor.

2.2 Varicor to with Bs-IV will continue to sell in the rural areas till they make it BS-VI compliant. Also the 2.2 Varicor is showing its age.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:33   #3619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The current 2.0 engine on Compass is not a BS-VI engine. Fiat is still working on a BS-VI engine. If you were referring to future possibilities, then it is very much possible.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 10:56   #3620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The current 2.0 engine on Compass is not a BS-VI engine. Fiat is still working on a BS-VI engine. If you were referring to future possibilities, then it is very much possible.
The 2.0 MJD is a newly developed, future-ready engine and is already Euro-5 compliant (Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs).

According to Jeep India, the 2.0 MJD is ready to meet future emission norms and will be scaled up to BS-VI norms whenever they kick in.

NDTV:
Quote:
The engines that the Compass comes with, meet the Euro VI norms and there'll be no problem for the car maker when BS-VI emission norms are introduced in India in 2020.

Quote:
There's a good chance it will be the BS-VI version of the 2.0 MJD which powers the Compass, in a higher state of tune.
But, as I said above, "there's a good chance". There's still no absolute confirmation on this. If and when I get more info on the exact details, our forum will be the first to know.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 13:29   #3621
BHPian

Guys, wish you all a very happy new year!

Just did a quick trip from Chandigarh - Delhi and return last week, first outstation trip and the car performed brilliantly well!

I tried to maintain a constant 80-90 Km/H and the MID showed 19.5 Km/L (on the highway) up until I reached Delhi and dropped to 18.2Km/L (upon reaching Chandigarh) after all the city driving in Delhi. Yet to top up my tank, so will know the actual only after that. (Couldn't beat @Torquedo's mindblowing 20! )

During the trip, I hard accelerated a few times, not too many, and noticed this black soot on the chrome tip upon my return - is this normal? Sorry, my first diesel, so don't know a lot about their bowel habits!

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20180101_111040.jpg  

sugam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 14:01   #3622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
During the trip, I hard accelerated a few times, not too many, and noticed this black soot on the chrome tip upon my return - is this normal? Sorry, my first diesel, so don't know a lot about their bowel habits!
This is normal in diesel cars. All the diesel cars will have black soot there. Black smoke under full throttle is common in diesel cars. It is NOT normal only if the car smokes continuously.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:19   #3623
BHPian

Dad booked a sky grey XMA yesterday
He will post a review once it arrives. We explored a lot of cars- Compass, TUV 300, XUV 500, Crysta etc. The Hexa is very good value for money for what it offers. Except the Jeep, none come close to being as refined as the Hexa. No one atttended to us at the Toyota showroom so we did not bother to drive the Crysta.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 2nd January 2018 at 14:20. Reason: Spelling
Nissan1180 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:56   #3624

Dear friends I came across this question on a Facebook group. Would like to know from fellow bhpians if people are actually facing this scenario and if so how can we avoid this. " How many members of hexa XT or XTA have got cut on side wall of left side rear tyre due to the bad roads?". There were a couple of people who did respond saying they did face this issue. I believe if this issue really exists then it must be with all the variants and not limited to XT or XTA.
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:40   #3625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairsin View Post
I believe if this issue really exists then it must be with all the variants and not limited to XT or XTA.
The lower variants of Hexa get 16" wheels with higher profile tyres whereas XT and XTA get 19" wheels with lower profile tyres. So the issue might not crop up in the lower variants.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:55   #3626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairsin View Post
Dear friends I came across this question on a Facebook group. Would like to know from fellow bhpians if people are actually facing this scenario and if so how can we avoid this. " How many members of hexa XT or XTA have got cut on side wall of left side rear tyre due to the bad roads?". There were a couple of people who did respond saying they did face this issue. I believe if this issue really exists then it must be with all the variants and not limited to XT or XTA.
Not so common but if you are worried have a TPMS installed that's the best option to remove any doubt.
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:57   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
Not so common but if you are worried have a TPMS installed that's the best option to remove any doubt.
1. Does the problem not solely depend on the tyre profile, provided tyre pressure is maintained (in case the problem really exists, as I missed to see such a complaint at least over this thread!)
2. How much does a TPMS cost?

Thanks

Last edited by kbishwa : 3rd January 2018 at 16:58. Reason: Grammar !!
Old 3rd January 2018, 19:36   #3628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
1. Does the problem not solely depend on the tyre profile, provided tyre pressure is maintained (in case the problem really exists, as I missed to see such a complaint at least over this thread!)

Thanks
I know of people who have crossed over 20000 kms without any issues - this is after they were maintaining 32 on the front and 33 on the rear for a long time in their initial days of ownership - these Hexas have seen Himalayan terrains. On the other hand there were a few cases reported where tyres got blasted despite maintaining correct tyre pressures - involved cuts from sharp stones etc. Most of the owners are deploying aftermarket TPMS and finding quite effective. SensAiry from Tymtix (a Bangalore based startup) has got quite a good amount of feedbacks - there is a thread in TeamBHP itself. You can buy this from their website directly - Rs. 5500/- for 4 sensors.
vinodvayyat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:03   #3629
BHPian

Back from Bangalore to Pench road trip in my Hexa XTA. ( Bangalore - Karnool - Nagpur - Pench - Aurangabad - Pune - Bangalore - Puttur - Bangalore).
Covered 3800 kms on all sort of roads and the car performed really well. Did fair amount of soft reading too.
Few highlights :
1. No squeaks. Odo reads 8400 kms now, in 2.5 months of ownership.
2. Left Bangalore with 36 PSI on all tyres and returned with 35 PSI on all tyres. Cacagoo TPMS bought from AliExpress was really useful.
3. FE for entire trip is 12.1 KMPL, tankful method.
4. No reliability issues of any type.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 3rd January 2018 at 20:06.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:12   #3630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post

Thanks
These being low profile ones, need the right pressure. Checking pressure during every tank fill is more than sufficient.
Having said that, the rear tyre had a puncture once and was replaced by MRF after paying 1250 as depreciation difference.
Apart from that, till now, I've done multiple highway runs, specially between 1-4pm when the roads are super hot at triple digit speeds constantly and the tyres are wearing out well.
Nothing abnormal noticed. I feel that the number of tyre burst issues are similar to other cars in the segment. Only reason it may catch additional attention is cause of the 19" alloys. Every tyre has to have the right operating pressure and has to be monitored well.

One thing in the back of my mind however, is that the probability of a side wall damage due to impact could be high as it is quite less. Hope they are designed to be stronger than their thicker counterparts!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks