Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2018, 18:35   #3691
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Quick feedback based on 5 months and 10,000km of ownership
2. Lack of storage space for phone and in general at the front row is a real issue. Cup holder is not ideal for placing the phone and I often end up keeping the phone between legs while driving:-(
I keep the mobile phone in front of the instrument cluster, just works fine for me. If your phone is less than 5.5 inches then it shouldn't be a problem to keep it there.

Or just buy mobile phone holder that can either be fixed on the dashboard or the front windshield or the magnetic holder that can be attached to the AC vents.
Old 27th January 2018, 19:04   #3692
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Take the XUV for example. The only continuous change since almost a decade of it's launch are two iterations to the front grille and headlamps along with a few limited editions that were launched. To this day, the interiors remain the same along with most mechanicals.
They where the first to launch an automatic with AWD at this price point. There were also changes to the system with android auto and suspension upgrades. Just look at how they killed the Safari with a product that was in many way actually inferior to the Safari.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 20:24   #3693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
They where the first to launch an automatic with AWD at this price point. There were also changes to the system with android auto and suspension upgrades. Just look at how they killed the Safari with a product that was in many way actually inferior to the Safari.
That's exactly what am saying. Android auto, apple car play, call it what you may. Unfortunately ours is a feature driven market where public can easily be swayed by a few features than what actually matters: how well the car drives.

They seem to have understood the market very well! Again, my point being, the fundamentals of XUV more or less remained the same even after nearly a decade of launch, with upgrades mainly being cosmetics and features. As said by another member, they look half cooked.

But one thing that is impressive is they listen to the market. With regards to TATA, though they used to be slow with products and upgrades, in the past year, they seem to have picked up pace in areas which really matter!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 21:27   #3694
BHPian

Quote:
They seem to have understood the market very well! Again, my point being, the fundamentals of XUV more or less remained the same even after nearly a decade of launch, with upgrades mainly being cosmetics and features. As said by another member, they look half cooked.
One thing I really recommend all Hexa owners to do is give a free drive to their colleagues. Once in the Hexa, unless they are virulently against Tata and other Indian companies and love their "European or Korean" badges, they'll be stunned. Most folks still think of Tata as the Indica (which is not a bad car compared to models like the Celerio or the WagonR, despite being priced similarly), and they'd be shocked. The Hexa offers something that most folks cannot believe can be had in this price range. The XUV interiors look like that of the Swift in comparison.

The XUV succeeded because it was a great product for its time. 2012 was a long time ago in the Indian market. It sounds strange, but I think that the Indian market changes as fast as the technology industry. Think about it- the Sunny, Duster and Innova were considered premium then. Today, only the Innova remains to defend its status, largely by virtue of an inflated price tag. A new Q3 retails for less than the indian price of the Innova in the US. There may be people who justify this based on reliability etc, but that's not an attribute peculiar to Toyota anymore.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 27th January 2018 at 21:27. Reason: Language.
Nissan1180 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 08:51   #3695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post

2. Lack of storage space for phone and in general at the front row is a real issue. Cup holder is not ideal for placing the phone and I often end up keeping the phone between legs while driving:-(
3. Lack of legroom for driver is an issue when my wife drives (she is 5ft 2 inches).
4. Did not know spare wheel is 16incher (thought it would be 19 inch steel rim)
5. Gears are lot smoother now, but still notchy at times.
6. Engine feels dead in 2nd gear at lower rpms <1500, lag is so evident.
My observations.

2. Isn't it possible to keep your Phone inside the armrest ? I agree that you may not be able to take a quick glance at your Phone if it rings or any messages come or if any notification pops up. In a way it will be better for on-road concentration.

3. Lack of legroom for someone who is 5'2" ? I think what you meant is lack of reach for the pedals, right ?

4. Cost cutting

5. Typical behaviour.

6. Any Turbocharged Engine feels dead below the Turbo range.

I had Test Drive of both the Manual & Automatic versions & liked the Automatic more.
arif_t01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 13:43   #3696
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend wants to trade his Hexa middle row bucket seats for bench seats. If anyone is interested in changing to bucket seats for middle row, please pm me. Location: Coimbatore Tamil Nadu.
Old 29th January 2018, 13:55   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
My friend wants to trade his Hexa middle row bucket seats for bench seats. If anyone is interested in changing to bucket seats for middle row, please pm me. Location: Coimbatore Tamil Nadu.
I don't think it's so easy to change, considering the adjustment rails are different.
Old 29th January 2018, 14:29   #3698
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My friend wants to trade his Hexa middle row bucket seats for bench seats.
Good idea to post here. What is his thought process though for the change?

Quote:
I don't think it's so easy to change, considering the adjustment rails are different.
Can be done WITH the adjustment rails. The chassis would have the holes for both arrangements.
Old 29th January 2018, 14:44   #3699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Good idea to post here. What is his thought process though for the change?
Additional seating.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Can be done WITH the adjustment rails. The chassis would have the holes for both arrangements.
The mounting points on the body are same for both seats. I have done similar swap in the Innova.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 14:52   #3700
BHPian

Quote:

Additional seating.
Sir,
Though you have done something similar already for Innova; Don't you think this is a violation of the RTO Law, Converting a 6 Seater car to a 7 seater arrangement. You might get away if someone overlooks it, however when detailed checking is done, you might land into trouble.

However I am more than 100% sure, this will never be caught ever even during the detailed most checking is done for cars on some event or so.

Just my 2 paisa.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 29th January 2018 at 14:53.
Old 29th January 2018, 14:55   #3701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Just my 2 paisa.
Thank you for the 2 paisa sir. I will take the risk.
Old 30th January 2018, 11:24   #3702
BHPian

I was in same dilemma when buying my HEXA about seating configurations. I was lean towards six seat version being more comfortable on long journeys. Most of the trips are done with 4 persons on board but I have cases where my parents or one more family member joins then 7 seats make more sense so I went with 7 seat version and I don't regret it now as they are good in term of comfort and also practicality.
Anuruddhs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 17:35   #3703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Dad took delivery of the Hexa XMA.
Sir, how is the XMA doing. What are the initial driving impressions? Could you post some pics, especially the long shot of tyres? How is the audio since it has a few speakers less. Looking forward to a review from your father.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 22:06   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
One thing I really recommend all Hexa owners to do is give a free drive to their colleagues. Once in the Hexa, unless they are virulently against Tata and other Indian companies and love their "European or Korean" badges, they'll be stunned.
Quite a few of my colleagues have driven my XTA. Two of them accompanied me on a long tour and drove about 100kms each. Everyone, without exception, has been highly impressed. One had bought a Creta a few months before me. His son had advised him to wait for the Hexa. After driving my XTA he was seriously budgeting for the XMA. My image in my work place has shot up after people learnt I was the owner of the gorgeous XTA.
My experiences too have been exceptional. I have been through a lot of bad roads and mountainous terrain. The ride & drive has to be experienced to be believed. After 5 months and more than 6k kms, I still feel wanting more after calling it a day. After driving a variety of cars (Maruti Omni, Premier Padmini, Fiat Palio & Linea, Honda City, Hyundai Accent, I20, Santro, extensive test drives of XUV500, Crysta & Fortuner) I can confidently say that this is the best 4 wheeler I have driven.
su_spatil is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 22:29   #3705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Over this weekend, had a chance to drive my friends Hexa XT 4x2 for 2-3 hours.
The car had 45,000 + KM on odo which it has covered within just 11 months since purchase.
4,000 KM per month is quite some serious usage for a personal car, in my opinion.

The car was in immaculate condition with no rattle of any sorts.
Ride was excellent even after such usage.
Clutch paddle was EXTREMELY light like a feather. I really mean it.
No major glitch reported during his whole owenrship period.

He is a one more happy customer of Hexa, I heard of and hence I am one happy TML lover.
I pushed him for this car last year.

Did he change his tyres during this run? HOw about brake pad replacements?

Most Viewed