Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:51   #3856
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Been using the hexa for past 11000kms.

Power is average as there is evident turbo lag and nothing happens for 2 to 3 seconds. 1st gear and 2nd gear ratios are low , 3rd is higher, so you have to really rev the engine high in 1st and 2nd to get into 3rd gear power band.

This thing struggles on hills , too many gear changes and high rpm shifts.

Handles ok but mid corner braking is quite dangerous as the tail steps out.
Braking is decent but need a longer distance to stop because of the weight .

Seats are contoured averagely and are very hard.

Ride , this part has received accolades, bump abortion like in potholes etc it is good. Thats it, when the road surface is uneven it bounces a lot vertically and horizontally , here it loses to the old innova. Suspension is quite stiff , couple with the old ladder frame tech and no independent rear suspension , high center of gravity and big tires makes the occupants fall around.
These observations were made in pathetic road around U.P, Uttarakhand hills and Shimla hills and not in Cities .

Ac is lovely and effective .
Hexa requires a ecu remap and smaller diameter tires with softer rubber compound to make it more drive friendly.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 22nd March 2018 at 11:53.
Frankenstein is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:25   #3857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

Power is average as there is evident turbo lag and nothing happens for 2 to 3 seconds. 1st gear and 2nd gear ratios are low , 3rd is higher, so you have to really rev the engine high in 1st and 2nd to get into 3rd gear power band.

Ride , this part has received accolades, bump abortion like in potholes etc it is good. Thats it, when the road surface is uneven it bounces a lot vertically and horizontally , here it loses to the old innova. Suspension is quite stiff , couple with the old ladder frame tech and no independent rear suspension , high center of gravity and big tires makes the occupants fall around.
These observations were made in pathetic road around U.P, Uttarakhand hills and Shimla hills and not in Cities .

Hexa requires a ecu remap and smaller diameter tires with softer rubber compound to make it more drive friendly.
My XTA has done over 30k km. Have never had any issues with power delivery and performance, even in far off reaches of J&K and Uttarakhand. The other car in our travel group is a Fortuner, and I am making a direct comparison.

It pulls nice and clean, and has enough grunt to overtake or outpace just about anything. Easily outpaces the Fortuner in most conditions. The engine is a bit sensitive to fuel quality though. Do keep a tab on the diet your car gets.

Never had an issue with the tail stepping out, unless of course you deliberately try to do so in which case the LSD will kick in and make her tango

Brakes are par for the course. Extra stopping power feels needed only during panic braking from three digit speeds. Yes, the brake pedal has long travel and bites a bit low, and you need to get used to it.

Seats are fantastic for someone who is 5'8 and above. Smaller folks may find the extra support biting into their sides or thigh. The hard compund is a god sent blessing for long trips. My City has soft seats, which have already started to sag and my lower back hurts after an hour or so of driving. Also, sit in the Fortuner after being in the Hexa for a couple of hours, and you'll know the difference.

Suspension is superb. The multi link rear setup is among the most sophisticated you can find, even in cars costing more. Tata does specify unusually high tire pressures though. I run my car at 28psi, and the ride quality is truly magic carpet with next to no vertical or sideway movement. It is far more comfortable than the bumpy and unsettled Fortuner in any and every condition.

I have slip disc problem, and the Hexa with it's excellent seats and A+ ride has effectively become my daily driver.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd March 2018 at 12:32.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:52   #3858
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding the first statement, I have driven my XT (Manual) extensively in the western ghats and private estates with practically no roads and slush during the rainy seasons. Added to this, those roads have hairpin bends too in the mud!

I've taken it to various other ghats with traffic and without in the past year of ownership. Trust me, this is the best car to combat the hills with in its price range. It passes others easily and has no trouble starting from standstill.

Your experience of a car boils down to the way you drive. Your driving style maybe at fault if you are too used to driving petrol cars and compare them (my case initially for the first two weeks).

Having said the above, prior to ECU updates, frequent shifts were required due to the turbo lag in second gear but has totally vanished post the updates. Even before the update though, I never found it a big hurdle!
Would strongly recommend you to check and get the update done. Few folks have been complaining about this and post update, everything is fine.

Ps: Do you have a manual? Do share pics cause we might have missed your booking nd ownership experience!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 22nd March 2018 at 12:59.
abhi7013 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:54   #3859
BHPian

Quote:

I have a Hexa XT (6 speed MT) with ECU update from TML.

The car has done around 12,500 KM and my feedback is based on my driving on the highways, city roads, bad patches and hilly roads.

One word, the car is awesome and its a car which is not getting enough respect just because of past reputation of Tata Motors.

The engine is sublime beauty after the ECU update, very silent and very tractable through out all rpm's. I can pass the mighty speed breaker test in 2nd gear without any sweat.

The car feels very planted at triple digit speed in 6th gear and has lot of torque for overtaking on highways. The cruise control is a boon but you need to be extra careful on our highways.

The suspension is one of the best, roads or no roads Hexa just glides over it with out any bouncy feeling inside the cabin (yes tyre pressure plays an important role). I usually keep the tyre pressure at 35 psi.

I had taken Hexa to near by hills and yes with MT you need to plan your climb, most of the climbing on full load I did it in second gear occasionally shifting to third gear. For climbing down I had engaged Hill descent control and it was pleasure using it.

As far as now, I havent faced any niggles. Yes there were some noises coming but that were due to mis-aligned side step and engine cover. It took us a while to figure it out.

I would say its the best effort from TML so far. They have raised the bar very high for themselves. Now their eco-system need to support them to raise the bar even higher.

People need to take test drive of Hexa with an open mind and they will be pleasantly surprised.

Saw one comment in XUV5OO test drive thread that 3 people from XUV have moved to Hexa. That shows what a potential Hexa has.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:07   #3860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
I havent faced any niggles.
-PK
Marketing by TATA is actually pathetic and it is just word of mouth that is bringing in those numbers. Zero niggles by almost all our members of our multiple groups are actually a testament to the product.

A satisfied customer is the best advertisement. Seems to work in this case! To those few who had niggles, it has been handled very well.

But one very important aspect if you are buying a TATA is to find yourself that reliable dealer who will take care of you. They need better dealers in tier 2/3 cities. That is the only negative I can think of and is holding them back from further increasing the sales.
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:16   #3861
BHPian

Car is overall good no doubt, but the fact is it has turbo lag , you cant keep revving high every time to shift up. Tried all tire pressures , it takes potholes well, anything more uneven your neck is gone , Due to the smaller cc engine hugely dependent on the turbo to move, the off boost power sucks to pull this 2.3 ton elephant . Handling is scary at times because of the extra heavy weight perched really high and mid corner slightly hard brake with wreck havoc. It is far from a magic carpet ride , yes better than Fortuner , but nowhere near a A+ ride . Fundamental design mistake is the high center of gravity, then the absurd weight and big wheels.

Ride quality is degraded in latest cars like mentioned in a different thread, all of you say its better than this or that car, but the comparing standard is not up to the mark, for example everybody knows the Fortuner ride sucks, so Hexa being better than Fortuner dosent entitle it to have A + ride. Regarding taking it on climb and places that is a different issue, point is how comfortable it can do .The amount of gear changes in a Hexa is way too much compared to the Innova and Scorpio, you down shift from 3rd to 2nd and nothing happens for 2 seconds and then starts pulling strongly , this creates a forward and backward jerk which makes the passengers puke. If Teambhp or anyone can do a ride quality test with measured body movements then the cat is out of the bag.

At least take a very bad section of roads generally like state highway railway crossings, put a Hexa, Inovva Duster , scorpio , etc etc and see the fun. Take a proper big speed braker at 45 degrees and see how it will bounce like a roller coaster.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:22   #3862
BHPian

Quote:

Ride , this part has received accolades, bump abortion like in potholes etc it is good. Thats it, when the road surface is uneven it bounces a lot vertically and horizontally , here it loses to the old innova.

I drive a Nov 2017 XTA which has close to 12000 kilometers on odometer now. While I cannot really comment of how manual behaves, I can surely say AT excels it its task. Never felt any sluggishness or lag anytime of my ownership.

Braking is adequate to my driving style. I have not faced any issues with stopping distance so far. In fact, it stops way quicker than expected, without any drama.

Seats are amazingly comfortable. They are not 'soft' by any means. But are ergonomically perfect to my frame. And the material used in 'T' trims is top notch.

Ride quality is phenomenal. Old Innova is nowhere near to Hexa in terms of ride quality. (Had one in family and drove it for a minimum of 40k kms). Drove Hexa from Bangalore to Pench and back via Pune with family and there was not even a single complaint from the occupants. Have had multiple trips to interiors of coastal Karnataka with full load and no complaints of ride quality.

Above are my personal views
prasanna_indaje is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:32   #3863
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinghal80 View Post
Hi,
My one-month-old hexa is showing extra running in ODO than actual, from last 5 years I am traveling to the same office from home and taking the same route which means the exact distance from point A to B. My earlier XUV was showing 29.7 in odo but my hexa shows 30.6.
Today, to re-confirm this me and one of my friends drove exact same point A to B his swift showed 23.4 but my hexa was showing 24.2

Please help.
My Aria was at 4% extra so this is exactly in line. The EcoSport too was similar. I upsized tyres and the error came to 0.xx

This is in the acceptable range. Frankly both the other vehicles too could be wrong on the other side.

Don't read too much into this. A much more advanced equipment would be required to know which is the accurate ODO. A solution would be use to Google maps on a long distance drive of 100+ kms and to compare the end trip details.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:33   #3864
BHPian

Quote:
Car is overall good no doubt, but the fact is it has turbo lag , you cant keep revving high every time to shift up. Tried all tire pressures , it takes potholes well, anything more uneven your neck is gone , Due to the smaller cc engine hugely dependent on the turbo to move, the off boost power sucks to pull this 2.3 ton elephant . Handling is scary at times because of the extra heavy weight perched really high and mid corner slightly hard brake with wreck havoc. It is far from a magic carpet ride , yes better than Fortuner , but nowhere near a A+ ride . Fundamental design mistake is the high center of gravity, then the absurd weight and big wheels.

Ride quality is degraded in latest cars like mentioned in a different thread, all of you say its better than this or that car, but the comparing standard is not up to the mark, for example everybody knows the Fortuner ride sucks, so Hexa being better than Fortuner dosent entitle it to have A + ride. Regarding taking it on climb and places that is a different issue, point is how comfortable it can do .The amount of gear changes in a Hexa is way too much compared to the Innova and Scorpio, you down shift from 3rd to 2nd and nothing happens for 2 seconds and then starts pulling strongly , this creates a forward and backward jerk which makes the passengers puke. If Teambhp or anyone can do a ride quality test with measured body movements then the cat is out of the bag.

At least take a very bad section of roads generally like state highway railway crossings, put a Hexa, Inovva Duster , scorpio , etc etc and see the fun. Take a proper big speed braker at 45 degrees and see how it will bounce like a roller coaster.
I am really surprised because in this review our own Aditya mentioned that nothing comes close.

Here are Aditya's words:

"Ride quality is one of the Hexa's strongest points. Rather, let me rephrase that = the Hexa's ride quality is AWESOME. Forget the Innova Crysta, there's no comparison with it. The Hexa easily meets or beats our ride comfort benchmark, the Renault Duster!!"

You can also read it in the review. I would strongly recommend to go for ECU update. That will resolve lot of your complaints.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:33   #3865
Senior - BHPian

I had a question for the HEXA owners, one of my friends drives extensively on the highway and rough roads and he is somehow not comfortable driving around on 55 profile tyres and wants to up the profile, since hexa in that tyre size comes with 235-55-R19, can he try a 225-65-R19 ( I don't know tyre is available in this diameter) but the change makes the difference in diameter by 5% which I know is not acceptable, but has anyone changed the width and profile in a Hexa?
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:41   #3866
BHPian

Have a Hexa XTA (14 months old) with 10K+ on the odo. Have been to hill stations and also rough-riding (not off-roading) and the thing handles it brilliantly. Gear shifting is not only not an issue, but very smooth on climbs etc. On poor roads as well, nobody has complained despite 5-6 hour long continuous stretches with a fully loaded vehicle. All in all, very satisfied with how it works.

As for handling, I find it handles far more like a sedan than any vehicle this large. At times my wife (before she got used to it) actually tried reminding me not to think of it like a sedan, the way I was driving on the inter-city highways.
imidnightmare is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:02   #3867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
My Aria was at 4% extra so this is exactly in line. The EcoSport too was similar. I upsized tyres and the error came to 0.xx

This is in the acceptable range. Frankly both the other vehicles too could be wrong on the other side.

Don't read too much into this. A much more advanced equipment would be required to know which is the accurate ODO. A solution would be use to Google maps on a long distance drive of 100+ kms and to compare the end trip details.
Thanks ! This gave me some relief. I will try to ignore it from now onwards.
msinghal80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:21   #3868
BHPian

Quote:
If Teambhp or anyone can do a ride quality test with measured body movements then the cat is out of the bag.
Multiple references in this thread on the ride quality where a mod and other members compare it to the premium brands:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...xury-cars.html

We concur that it's the new benchmark when it comes to comfort. You can conclude so by reading a few comments in the thread.

Also the following video:-

Here, folks have done exactly what you said. Infact, a more accurate way of measurement than just quantifying vague things like body movement: a beaker test.

There is no cat and no bag in this. Everything's out there to see and understand and also to experience.

Could you please share the chassis number of your ride? You could PM me and i can ask for folks back at my dealers to compare it with inputs from other customers who have cars manufactured nearing the same time period for feedbacks.
It could also help us add you to our owners' group assuming you are not a part of it yet. That way we help each other than just going on about issues that can be solved!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 22nd March 2018 at 14:22.
abhi7013 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:37   #3869
BHPian

Again the thing is people are comparing driving in cities and 4 lane roads not Uttarakhand road which are brutal and test of suspension , the Scorpio suspension bushes here wont last more than 15k kms where as in Bangalore it would easily last 35000kms.

Hexa over potholes is way better than old or new Innova. But body control , horizontal and vertical or side to side movement is much higher in the Hexa.

Braking is good but due to the weight emergency braking or distances have to be planned.
Seats are large , very large, contours are average , but too firm , parts of the lower body become numb.
I have 4 innovas, 1st gen, 2nd gen with intercooler, crysta 2.8 and 2.4, all gen of scorpios etc.

I have tried all sorts of cars for ride quality , latest Germans do not hold a candle with their jiggly ride, high frequency movements, Mercedes 212, 221, 211, 220 failed, Leaf sprung Scorpio is not at all drivable in Haridwar , the roads are not at all flat here, there are bouncy to the point the an air sprung s500 couldnt help but loose its composure.

Very good comparo video, but compared to what, the comparing standard is very low. IF you want to see ride quality there are lot of videos showing plymoths, citreons , old mercs .

A+ ride quality on all types of roads goes to only one car that is the Mercedes w140 , any thing better would be the Cadillacs of the 60s and 70s, but they wallow alot unlike the Merc and dont handle.

Magic carpet ride is again W140, obviously cannot be compared because of the price, if some body can post scientific test it would help.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 22nd March 2018 at 14:42.
Frankenstein is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:07   #3870
BHPian

Quote:
Again the thing is people are comparing driving in cities and 4 lane roads not Uttarakhand road which are brutal and test of suspension , the Scorpio suspension bushes here wont last more than 15k kms where as in Bangalore it would easily last 35000kms.

Hexa over potholes is way better than old or new Innova. But body control , horizontal and vertical or side to side movement is much higher in the Hexa.

A+ ride quality on all types of roads goes to only one car that is the Mercedes w140 , any thing better would be the Cadillacs of the 60s and 70s, but they wallow alot unlike the Merc and dont handle.
That is why i posted the video of the beaker test. It does take into consideration the body movement.

However, I am confused with the list of different vehicles you are bringing into the comparison. First off, the Merc and Cadillacs you mentioned are of a different breed, segment and generation altogether. And the context here is the comfort on your Uttarakhand and Haridwar roads. Do you think these cars will fare well? Can't help but wonder if you yourself are confused with regards to the point you are wishing to convey.
EOD, point is the satisfaction you get with the comfort for what you have paid.

Anyways, am looking forward to you car's chassis number and will await for your message to convey it to the right folks.
abhi7013 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed