Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2018, 18:02   #3916
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
Have been following this thread for quite a while and took delivery of XE (white) in Jan. Thanks to all the honest inputs by all in this thread - it was invaluable.
Can you comment of the 1st gear performance in the XE specially on an incline since the XE has 5-gear box and the 1st on the XM seemed a bit low on torque/power resulting in shuttering/shaking.

The only way to avoid that seemed to revv it high and then release.
Old 26th March 2018, 19:21   #3917
BMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Can you comment of the 1st gear performance in the XE specially on an incline since the XE has 5-gear box and the 1st on the XM seemed a bit low on torque/power resulting in shuttering/shaking.

The only way to avoid that seemed to revv it high and then release.
Never faced issue with with torque on 1st gear on inclines. Never faced shuttering on 1st unless I switch to 2nd early.

So when on incline, I hold on to 1st (with no clutch) depending on steepness before switching to 2nd. Normal flat or mild inclines I switch at ~2200 and second picks up smoothly in the torque band.
Old 26th March 2018, 19:36   #3918
BHPian

Guys I would like to ask fellow Hexa owners especially the automatic transmission owners what FE they get in city as well as on highways? Is it comparable to Safari? How is it compared to XUV 500? Sorry if this question has been answered before.
Old 26th March 2018, 21:45   #3919
Senior - BHPian

I did an hour long drive mainly on city roads in my cousin's Hexa XTA. Found the car very spacious. I travelled in the front seat. The ride quality was pretty composed and absorbent.

Since there is so much subjectivity in the discussions on ride quality, I sat for sometime and worked out some "ride quality graphs" based on my personal feel of the vehicles that I have used thus far. I know that just one hour in the Hexa is not long enough, that's why I have put in only the city speed ride quality assessments.

The graphs were prepared in MS Word using "Insert Shapes/Free curve" option. The graphs are in terms of the g forces perceived by me while driving / riding the vehicles.

I hope others can prepare and share their perceptions as well for all their vehicles used, as this can eliminate some degree of subjectivity while sharing ride quality experiences:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-ride-quality-graphs.jpg

The higher the slope of the lines, more is the discomfort experienced. Flatter, lower sloped lines represent more ride comfort. But higher overall amplitudes despite lower slopes indicate more sway, whereas closely clustered lines indicate shock impulses.

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2018 at 23:24. Reason: As requested
mooza is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 14:09   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I would like to ask fellow Hexa owners especially the automatic transmission owners what FE they get in city as well as on highways? Is it comparable to Safari? How is it compared to XUV 500? Sorry if this question has been answered before.
I own a XTA and driven around 18K in 10 months. In city you get close to 11-12 kmpl and highway around 15-16-17 kmpl depending on speed you drive. If you drive at highway speed limits easily get 16 kmpl.
Anuruddhs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 14:54   #3921
BHPian

Wow! Very ingenious way to "measure" ride quality.

I would very well agree with the superior ride quality of Tata Hexa since I earlier owned Mahindra Xylo and Scorpio and I can tell the difference when driven on the same roads and terrain. My family members are super happy and comfortable in Hexa and appreciate the long drives without any complaints. And the best is reserved for the driver - fatigue-free long drives is a real pleasure and a compelling reason to be behind the wheels.

But...comparing Hexa to the plush ride of Volvo B7R is tooooo much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I did an hour long drive mainly on city roads in my cousin's Hexa XTA. Found the car very spacious. I travelled in the front seat. The ride quality was pretty composed and absorbent.

Since there is so much subjectivity in the discussions on ride quality, I sat for sometime and worked out some "ride quality graphs" based on my personal feel of the vehicles that I have used thus far. I know that just one hour in the Hexa is not long enough, that's why I have put in only the city speed ride quality assessments.
grkonweb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 15:46   #3922
BHPian

I got chance to take about half an hour drive of each Hexa XT 4X4 and Hexa XTA back to back today. Here are my observations:

1. Ride of both vehicles was excellent. I currently drive a Renault Duster 85 PS hence my benchmarks are high. I drove through small humps, big humps on road as well as on broken tarmac and no tarmac scenario. Hexa did impressively well on all scenerio.

2. Turbo lag was evident on the XT. I had to do multiple gear shifts to keep up with traffic pattern changes. The speed at which RPMs built up in 1st gear left me wanting. Progress after RPMs pick up, was very good though. ( Once turbo kicks in )

3. XTA was a revelation! Turbo lag was managed pretty well and even while starting from standstill, it never felt lethargic. In fact , i loved the way auto tyranny was working. Gear changes were jerk free, smooth and were at right time.

4. Dealer in Bangalore ( KHT Motors, Domlur ) was quite accommodating towards my ask for long test drive and also allowed me to choose terrain to drive on. Good experience.

5. However, the test vehicle itself was not well maintained. A lot of rattles and missing plastics on XT test vehicle. Further I observed that gear lever had strong vibrations in XT. All of this in a vehicle which had done 24k Kms. It appeared that the XT was abused a lot in test drives.( may be because of it being 4 X 4 ). XTA on other hand was pretty well maintained. With 12 K on odo, it did not have any rattles. The gear lever for XTA did not vibrate as well. Don't know if these are generic traits seen in all vehicles or specific to test vehicles. Need to check with owners.

I plan to do back to back highway tests next. However, today's experience left me completely biased towards XTA. I had always liked manual transmissions over automatics in my earlier cars. For Hexa, I felt XTA might end up taking that crown!

Last edited by pranav_mankad : 27th March 2018 at 15:49. Reason: Corrected typo
pranav_mankad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 17:22   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
I own a XTA and driven around 18K in 10 months. In city you get close to 11-12 kmpl and highway around 15-16-17 kmpl depending on speed you drive. If you drive at highway speed limits easily get 16 kmpl.
Thank you so much for answering this question. Now I can go ahead and book Hexa XMA without any doubt.
HappyRoadie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 23:16   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Mooza,

Frankly, this is just visualization of your opinion. It just leads to unnecessary arguments. Hardly desirable - subjective opinions only work on people who already believe you, as social media often shows.

Except today, we have an alternative. We have the exact tools to give us this very information - in fact, peak g-force readings were what convinced me that Honda City doesnt work for my kind of driving, and that EcoSport was the car with the most balanced suspension!

All you need to do is to simply download any Physics toolbox or G-force recording app, drive over the same broken road, and voila :-)

Let's discuss data, and not opinions!
phamilyman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 00:00   #3925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Frankly, this is just visualization of your opinion. It just leads to unnecessary arguments. Hardly desirable - subjective opinions only work on people who already believe you, as social media often shows.
I agree on this point as these graphs are subjective. This information is as per the experience of OP hence nothing to relate with real time performance of the vehicles.

On a lighter note it made me smile for a while as I was back to college memories something we had like this related to waveform theory(sine wave).
roby_dk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 16:22   #3926
BHPian

Straight from the horse's mouth..

GTO, the XUV500 lover, himself has put the Hexa in the same league! For we BHPian it's a great commendation for Hexa!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4378146
Old 28th March 2018, 17:42   #3927
BHPian

Guys yesterday I booked my Hexa XMA in sky grey color. The reason why I opted for this color was because Blue is very common on Hexa and everyone in family liked Grey more. It's a beautiful color I must say. Hopefully will get delivery in 10 days.

Like everyone else I was also confused between Hexa XMA and Xuv 500 W6 AT. Being a Tata customer since so many years I was more inclined towards Hexa. The Xuv offers much more features which are missing in XMA variant namely -:

1) Cruise Control
2) Automatic Climate Control
3 Automatic and static bending Headlights
4) Rain sending automatic wipers
5) Auto folding ORVM's
6) Larger 7" touchscreen with Android Auto

These are the major features which are present in W6 AT but absent in XMA variant. Tata should have provided these features in this variant. Don't know why they didn't offer these in the mid variant. If they had provided these features I can tell you Hexa's sales numbers would have been greater. I'm saying this because a person like me who has been a faithful Tata customer, my first Tata car being Sumo Grande, then Safari, then Tiago, was in dilemma and even I once got attracted to these features, an average person is bound to go blindly towards the car offering more features compared to competition.

Anyway I went for Hexa because -:

1) It has a more pliant ride quality among the two which was an important criteria for us.
2) I like Hexa's mature looks more.
4) Better legroom in third row.
5) Better luggage space even with all the three rows of seata up. (This was also an imp criteria)
3) New version of XUV 500 is just about to launch next month. So buying the current version with less power did not make sense to me.

I only did a brief TD of XUV once only as heart was for Hexa only. The missing features though if provided in Hexa would have made it more VFM but I can live without these features. Its the dynamics, ride quality, build quality of the car that matters more to me. So wait starts and I will start an ownership thread soon once I take delivery.

Regards

Last edited by HappyRoadie : 28th March 2018 at 17:45.
HappyRoadie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 18:30   #3928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I only did a brief TD of XUV once only as heart was for Hexa only. The missing features though if provided in Hexa would have made it more VFM but I can live without these features. Its the dynamics, ride quality, build quality of the car that matters more to me. So wait starts and I will start an ownership thread soon once I take delivery.

Regards
Congratulations on the booking! As said earlier, its better buying a car that has its fundamentals sorted rather than prioritising features which can be added later on!
Reason for me to discard XUV was the hexa's engine though! Refined and more silent along with the smooth ride.

Do share pics of your car as we have very few images of a sky grey hexa!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 28th March 2018 at 18:31.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 18:54   #3929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Mooza,

Frankly, this is just visualization of your opinion... Let's discuss data, and not opinions!

Absolutely.

As I have already mentioned twice in my post, "these are my personal perceptions of ride quality". And to add to that, there was absolutely no intention to target or promote any particular brand.

The primary idea was to get started by generating a template, and data may please be widely shared by users based on the vast experience of car owners in this great forum

I request people to measure and share the data, as it would really help folks when they buy cars based on ride quality as one of the key parameters, considering the not so great quality of our city roads.
mooza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 19:30   #3930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post

I own a xta too and have done 7300 kms on the odo and got my 2nd service in January and post 2nd service I'm getting 7.5-7.0 kmpl in city traffic. My daily travel is not more than 10 kms and I drive my Hexa in tight and small alleyway in colonies to reach my destination and the car barely shifts to 4th gear is this the reason I am getting low mileage figures. On highways I get 13-15 kmpl and I do not cross 100 kmph ever. Any suggestions from your end is most welcome. I am considering switching to a different fuel station to see any plausible change in fuel consumption.
Vikvkv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks