Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2018, 20:36   #4036
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Hi Torque_Aanjaney,

I'm in a similar predicament as you, searching for a good automatic transmission vehicle around the 25 lakh price, and have been considering Xuv, Hexa, Innova, Tucson and Preowned current model Endeavour. I have actually been following your posts, as you were asking all the questions i needed to ask.
Add me to that list

Hexa was out of the options easily for this very reason that it does not have ESP & roll over mitigation in Auto variant.

Had Endy in the list, but slowly it's getting faded away as it will be a real stretch to get there, plus I will be rarely using those excellent off roading features.

Iam all set for new XUV, but only hesitancy is to be in the similar cabin after 5 yrs & 150k kms. The additional features over '13 W8, plus AWD, AUTO, Tuning box & a wider tyre upgrade is what keeping me to move in this direction.

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-xu...-12265718.html

Quote:
Built on an advanced Quad-Frame platform using 63 percent high-strength steel and 1.5 Gpa giga-steel results in structural strength and low body weight.
Quote:
Dimensions – XUV700 will measure 4.85 m in length, 1.92 m in width, and 1.8 m in height. At 2865 mm, its wheelbase exceeds that of Fortuner by 120 mm to reveal an even more spacious interior. Fitted with individual reclining seats with massage function, rear seats occupants will find a fully connected centre console handy. An integrated communication system features a central 9.2″ monitor, and a 10.1″ monitor in each headrest. Wi-Fi connectivity, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto take care of digital communication needs. Exit and entry is made easy at night through a follow me type light arrangement.
Quote:
Safety gets rocking with nine airbags (front, front & rear side, curtain and driver’s knee), advanced emergency braking system (AEBS), lane departure warning, blind spot detection, lane change assist, traffic safety assist and high beam assistance.
If at all there is a confusion, it will because of XUV700 impending launch The last row is horrible in the current version. If they retain similar set up, for me, its a 5 seater with good luggage space & happy to skip this. If this gets addressed, I feel the extra 4-5 Lakhs is worth the money.

Last edited by Surprise : 28th April 2018 at 20:38.
Old 29th April 2018, 08:07   #4037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Glad that you felt safety to be a priority. I guess you would not settle for a vehicle with anything lesser than 6 airbags as well. They seem to be more "required" compared to the other electronic safety gadgetry!
That boils down to only a few top end variants of the XUV, endeavour and other cars.
Please keep us posted on your purchase process!
Absolutely! 6 airbags is the minimum. Will update when i confirm the vehicle. Awaiting the new Xuv test drive!
Old 29th April 2018, 12:58   #4038
BHPian

I felt basis the feedback provided that Hexa deserved a second look.

This time we visited the Concorde Motors showroom in Marathalli. We drove from my house in Jigani to the showroom (approx 31 kms) with a mix of good roads (EC elevated flyover), mildly broken tarmac and no tarmac at all. It had all doses of traffic - heavy to none.

I also decided to be chauffeured in the back seat by my brother for the entire journey vs driving in my own to test the ride quality in my XUV in the 2nd row of seats. I have seldom sat in the 2nd row in my car and given the fact that most reviewers complain so much about the ride quality but my family not complaining at all, it was getting all too mysterious. I had to solve the mystery on my own.

Surprising, other than the suspension not working quietly and those few deeper potholes shaking the cabin a bit (more side to side vs vertical), those 2nd row of seats in XUV are just amazing. No wonder my family never complained, even during our 1100kms drive each way from Bangalore to Mumbai for 12-13 hrs. I think the critics / people / owners are either too harsh on the ride quality of XUV (or the reviews you have seen, plays with the psychy and it gets stuck in your mind) or they have never bothered to maintain their cars. I felt a bit more harshness in the suspension few weeks ago and got all four suspension joints re-torqued along with tightening the nuts for the front wheels (rear wheels only have it if you have a AWD XUV) and tightening the front dampers / struts under the bonnet. It made a sea of change in driving dynamics and made my car just as it was when I bought it. And that ride is "above average" for a large SUV / Crossover, whatever you may call it. XUV's rear seats ride is 100% better than the current and the older gen Fortuner, and that tank happens to sell in abundance in India and is twice as costly.

Coming back to Hexa. The exterior appealed to everyone. We saw the copper brown color in the showroom and it looked premium and regal. However I can say the external paint quality and fit and finish differences between Hexa and the new age XUV is nil. There is no winner or looser here. My older model is comparable in paint quality only but panel gaps are certainly behind those neat thin shut lines all across the Hexa. Thumbs up for the design. Nobody felt it has an MPV heritage. It was as much a butch SUV as it can be for everyone.

Things again started to fall apart on the interior. Storage scarcity became pronounced again for the driver seat. While searching for storage, we all found the glovebox and the storage above it, both, to be much smaller than that of the XUV. Add to the fact neither of them have a damped opening and closing reminded us of the Sumo's build quality (utilitarian at best). Also the one at showroom vs the test drive car had very different condition of the dashboard and interiors. Okay test drive vehicles are subjected to more abuse but it had aged nowhere close to the expectations. I asked the showroom guys to get the dashboard treated to see how close the plastics and their textures can be restored to brand new vehicle. 35 mins later the test drive vehicle looked better than when it arrived but far off from the brand new vehicle. Far too many scratches on the piano black finishings. That's was still acceptable as you can possibly avoid it by being careful. What was not pardonable is those black plastics that are being raved about along with the leather like treatment around the mid of the dash. Over time they become an eye sore. As long as the dash polish stays for few mins, they look like revived but as it starts to evaporate the shine goes away revealing a dry scratchy plastic. And it doesn't look soft touch anymore. I'm not exaggerating even by 1 cent but the quality of the plastic of dashboard top is the same I had on my 1st gen Hyundai i10 albeit in beige color. Even the grain is the same. It's similar to the beige lower dashboard plastic of the Endeavor a sore point for everyone. I wonder how much can that all black color interior trick you into it being more premium. It may not squeak but I'm not sure it won't rattle over time because the contact points are not tight but rather a bit loose. Well those of XUV are nowhere as premium as on the Creta / Tuscon / Compass / Innova, etc. But I'll be dammed if I call the one of Hexa better than that of XUV. It's either at par or worse. The XUV plastic is squeaky only around the arm rest and hand brake area. Rest everything is tightly fit (the new age XUV has even better fit and higher rigidity) and if your car is timely and regularly serviced, there shouldn't be any rattle whatsoever. I think the same will go for Hexa owners as well who are careful of their car, having no rattles. But I call it diligent ownership vs something extraordinary delivered by Tata. And I again felt the criticism towards that wavy plastics on the XUV dash a bit too harsh. You can hate that pattern and too many textures (personal asthetics choice), which sometimes even I do, but there is no denying the fact that it's premium, solid and built to last. I regained the lost appreciation for the XUV interior over time, by listening to multiple reviews criticising it after seeing the Hexa up and close.

However this time round, my complaint about the odd shaped arm rest in Hexa went away. Yes it's usable for my laid back driving position but the steering is way too far than my XUV. Pull the seat closer to the dashboard and your knee starts hitting the dash underneaths. Shorter drivers like me who can't have the seat pulled way too back will not find the space underneath the dash or the lack of reach adjustment ergonomic. The Endeavor also without the reach adjustment has no such issues. Now I see why the dash of the XUV and it's steering, is set higher than desired by a few. Sure you wish it were any lower but trust me it's far better that way than hurting your knees. The steering of the XUV is bigger than the Hexa and hence it needs to be set higher to give enough clearance between it and the seat or you would keep rubbing it against your knees or thighs depending on your driving position. The peeping wires and big gaps behind the fitting of the side stalks on the steering haven't been rectified yet, which you would expect until now in newer batches. No matter the quality of the stalks themselves, the fact their panel gaps are so big and hence there is a slight play in the stalks, it takes away that premium feel.

The automatic of the Hexa is certainly a class apart. It's mated to the engine as good as that of the Endeavor. And the sports mode makes you super happy. Ride quality is no doubt better than the XUV on all rows but the question is by how much? On plain tarmac there is no winner. Both are equally good and flat. On undulations and broken roads, the ride in Hexa is quieter and more supple. I would disagree as suggested by many it's a day and night difference. No it's more like a 5-10% difference that's it, combined for suppleness of the ride and quietness of the suspensions. NVH levels no doubt are far better than my car but the new 2018 XUV is also quite a lot silent than my car. My old model certainly suffers from outside sounds and road noise. It's not bad but both the Hexa and the new 2018 XUV are in a different league.

However when I tried changing lanes at 80kmph, the body roll was massive. That's why I guess the ESP and Traction control on the XTA could have made a lot of difference. But I change lanes at triple digit speeds in my XUV all day and it remains glued to the road. No excessive body roll and no nervy feelings. Must be because of its monocoque chassis that sits lower to the ground. It's a boon on highways where you have to nip between heavy vehicles and trailers. The speeds at which Hexa automatic is comfortable changing lanes, will make the travel a lot longer. Not desirable. Straight line stability though is impressive and so are the brakes. The brakes on my car are not that progressive and they need time to get used to. The new 2018 XUV Automatic braking is like ages ahead of mine and at par with the Hexa.

The reverse camera missing the guidelines plus the extremely poor quality in dimly lit surroundings is just unpardonable. A car of this size needed a better reverse parking assist. We couldn't see clearly what caused the instead sound of parking assist as the obstacle looked so blurred in that tiny 5" screen. It was the bumper of another car parked next to it, which we saw after we got down from the car. ORVMs will be your only friends in backing up the Hexa in low light situations.

Lastly that JBL audio is overrated. Period. I spent good 35-40 mins changing songs and audio settings (played via Google Play Music for which I have a subscription). Quality is set to highest for download and streaming (320kbps). They sound good, in fact, better than many cars. But all those adjectives of it being surreal, etc is simply exaggeration. It's good and that's about it. It's not head and shoulders above the one on XUV or may be ahead by some marginal distance (I'm not an audiophile so I can keep that margin of error in judgement). As someone pointed out, the bass on volumes lower than 10-12 is too feeble. I couldn't find a way around that. Also the damping of the rear boot door after purchase is compulsory for Hexa's sub. It rattles big time.

The AC blower noise is way too high. On Auto, till we cranked the temp till 27°C the blower noise wouldn't settle. But with outside temp around 40°C who would prefer 27? And put it around 25 and it's difficult to have a conversation between the first 2 rows itself, leave behind the 3rd row. You have to shout to converse to people behind on captain seats with AC running. Since I always drive with the AC on, the improvements in NVH are nullified because if its not the wind or road noise, it's now the AC blower noise that replaces the other noises in the cabin (that kind of noise starts in the XUV when at 18 or 19 not anywhere till 21 or 22). Plus it's much louder than the sounds creeping in XUV cabin. So overall benefits of better NVH will be negated until much colder days of winter.

In the end the impressions for Hexa went even further down vs the last time. Sure we founda way around some older concerns like front arm rest, we also found quite a few that we hadn't paid enough attention to. We are glad Concorde Motors allowed us to have so much time with the Hexa to really nail it down to our usage pattern day on day basis. Unfortunately it lost more points vs my XUV or the 2018 XUV than it won. We also took a close look at the Nexon front dashboard. I would have booked the Hexa immediately if I would have got the interior, fit and finish of the Nexon on Hexa. Seriously what was Tata product team thinking? Concorde guys won't be happy we have skipped Hexa.

So my hunt for my XUV replacement continues. The new 2018 model has improved in almost all fronts but I'm not interested in sitting in the same cockpit for another 4-5 years. The next ones now to watch out will be XUV700 (Mahindra Rexton G4), CR-V (I'm still being suggested to not discount it completely) and the upcoming Tata H7X. Since H5X is potentially going to be launched by Q1 of next year, I hope the 7 seater either arrives at the same time or not too late than that.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 21:36   #4039
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your views. I've recommended XUV to someone really close in the past (he was my thesis supervisor and he had paid the booking amount for a top end Ertiga) and I still believe it is a decent product. But when it came to buying a car, we (my parents+me) decided on the Hexa. Even in its refreshed state, the XUV does not look or feel as good as the Hexa. You may think I'm biased, but I'm not (read the statement above- I truly insisted someone buy the XUV but that was in 2014).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post

I think the critics / people / owners are either too harsh on the ride quality of XUV (or the reviews you have seen, plays with the psychy and it gets stuck in your mind) or they have never bothered to maintain their cars.
The XUV ride quality may be better than that of a Dzire over a bump, but it is not better than that in a Hexa. That's due to the suspension design. There are people who have pitted the Hexa and it was the only one to pass the water beaker test against cars that cost 2.5 times as much and even then, on uneven surfaces.

Quote:

Add to the fact neither of them have a damped opening and closing reminded us of the Sumo's build quality (utilitarian at best). Also the one at showroom vs the test drive car had very different condition of the dashboard and interiors. Okay test drive vehicles are subjected to more abuse but it had aged nowhere close to the expectations. I asked the showroom guys to get the dashboard treated to see how close the plastics and their textures can be restored to brand new vehicle. 35 mins later the test drive vehicle looked better than when it arrived but far off from the brand new vehicle. Far too many scratches on the piano black finishings. That's was still acceptable as you can possibly avoid it by being careful. What was not pardonable is those black plastics that are being raved about along with the leather like treatment around the mid of the dash. Over time they become an eye sore. As long as the dash polish stays for few mins, they look like revived but as it starts to evaporate the shine goes away revealing a dry scratchy plastic. And it doesn't look soft touch anymore. I'm not exaggerating even by 1 cent but the quality of the plastic of dashboard top is the same I had on my 1st gen Hyundai i10 albeit in beige color. Even the grain is the same. It's similar to the beige lower dashboard plastic of the Endeavor a sore point for everyone.
I'm really surprised you are saying this. The new XUV just has a leatherette cover on top of the hard plastics. To be truly honest, even the Maruti Esteem had a soft touch dash board and the DZire does not. I guess it is a manufacturer trend to reduce costs over time.

Also, we have an XCent at home, and calling the plastic quality similar is actually an insult to the Hexa- sincere apologies for putting it so bluntly. Anyone who understands even a bit about material science will concur. I believe the Vendor list for the Hexa would be a sufficient proof of it being a car that's not built with compromise in mind.

Quote:
I wonder how much can that all black color interior trick you into it being more premium. It may not squeak but But I call it diligent ownership vs something extraordinary delivered by Tata. And I again felt the criticism towards that wavy plastics on the XUV dash a bit too harsh. You can hate that pattern and too many textures (personal asthetics choice), which sometimes even I do, but there is no denying the fact that it's premium, solid and built to last. I regained the lost appreciation for the XUV interior over time, by listening to multiple reviews criticising it after seeing the Hexa up and close.
If you browse through the niggle section for your vehicle, you'd find many owners complaining about rattles. Rattles are not specific to any car- let's not make it so personal. If you have good ride quality, it helps since the interiors don't have to move so much.

Quote:
The reverse camera missing the guidelines plus the extremely poor quality in dimly lit surroundings is just unpardonable. A car of this size needed a better reverse parking assist. We couldn't see clearly what caused the instead sound of parking assist as the obstacle looked so blurred in that tiny 5" screen. It was the bumper of another car parked next to it, which we saw after we got down from the car. ORVMs will be your only friends in backing up the Hexa in low light situations.
The size of the screen is definitely a genuine complaint. Ideally, they should have included a good tablet with all controls (AC, lights etc) because it saves costs and customers like to see a big screen while they are in the showroom. From the little experience that I have driving different cars (Nano to A Class), you'll stop caring about the size of the screen once the car is slightly old. For maps, most often, you'd prefer Google maps to other services (like Map My India) and since your phone is the most convenient device, that's what you'd choose. Still, a bigger screen would definitely get more bragging rights and that's something really crucial in India since buying a car is a social decision. It is not a personal one.

Quote:
Lastly that JBL audio is overrated. Period. I spent good 35-40 mins changing songs and audio settings (played via Google Play Music for which I have a subscription). Quality is set to highest for download and streaming (320kbps). They sound good, in fact, better than many cars. But all those adjectives of it being surreal, etc is simply exaggeration. It's good and that's about it.
Sorry, but I'm writing this while wearing a Bose QC25 headphone on a laptop that's equipped with a B&O driver. I have everything from a Sony MDR ZX110NA n to the Xiaomi Piston with me, and yet I'm wearing a non-bluetooth, alkaline cell powered Bose. In our XCent we have a sony with 4 speakers and in the Hexa, it is the 8 speaker system. In our Baleno we had a 4 speaker Kenwood system. Appreciating audio is a personal choice but I truly feel that premium brands command a premium for a reason. There might be a few who buy a Harman system because it looks cool but for the majority, it is about sound quality. Please raise the volume, conduct an audio test (plenty of apps available to examine the frequency response) and then report. To suggest that the Harman system is a joke is absolutely (and incredibly) false and you can post your results on this thread (if you care) to justify the statement you made.

Quote:
The AC blower noise is way too high. On Auto, till we cranked the temp till 27°C the blower noise wouldn't settle. But with outside temp around 40°C who would prefer 27? And put it around 25 and it's difficult to have a conversation between the first 2 rows itself, leave behind the 3rd row. You have to shout to converse to people behind on captain seats with AC running.
I'll request you again to download an App called Soundmeter on Android and report your results. I can request my parents to report theirs under the conditions you specified. I really believe that blower noise should not interrupt a conversation (they are at completely different frequencies) but still it would be a pleasure to respond to your blind test.

Quote:
In the end the impressions for Hexa went even further down vs the last time. Sure we founda way around some older concerns like front arm rest, we also found quite a few that we hadn't paid enough attention to. We are glad Concorde Motors allowed us to have so much time with the Hexa to really nail it down to our usage pattern day on day basis. Unfortunately it lost more points vs my XUV or the 2018 XUV than it won. We also took a close look at the Nexon front dashboard. I would have booked the Hexa immediately if I would have got the interior, fit and finish of the Nexon on Hexa. Seriously what was Tata product team thinking? Concorde guys won't be happy we have skipped Hexa.
As I said earlier, XUV is a good product. It is a decent car. But I'm really surprised at your comments about the Nexon. The Hexa and Nexon are in different segments and it is better we compare apples to apples. Thanks.

Quote:
So my hunt for my XUV replacement continues.
Good luck with your search. I'm sure you will, at some point of time in the future, find something that you feel is worthy of being your XUV replacement. I responded to your detailed post because I felt there were quite a few things worth clarifying in order to avoid misrepresenting the Hexa.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 29th April 2018 at 22:03.
Nissan1180 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 00:11   #4040
BHPian

Look at how balanced the car looks in this video when cornering. Those who have pushed the Hexa to its limits will understand how nimble and confidence inspiring it is at high speeds.

Last edited by damodar : 30th April 2018 at 00:13.
damodar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 00:25   #4041
BHPian

Tata Hexa : Official Review

I neither own the Hexa nor the XUV but the Hexa definitely has a more premium interior. This tata has the most premium interior and even the fit and finish is the best amongst other tata products.
Even the 2018 XUV doesn't feel premium from inside. The leatherette cover on the dash and the glossy black inserts around the ICE still don't uplift the premiumness of the cabin. I had felt it myself when I visited a mall in pune where the new XUV was being showcased.

The only thing Hexa needs at the moment is a bigger touchscreen. That 5' screen looks a size too small on the big truck.

Also I don't know why are people getting confused between hexa and xuv wrt ride and handling. The Hexa has a great ride and is a benchmark while the XUV being a monocoque is the nimbler handler here.

Last edited by Waspune : 30th April 2018 at 00:28.
Waspune is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 01:37   #4042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The XUV ride quality may be better than that of a Dzire over a bump, but it is not better than that in a Hexa. That's due to the suspension design. There are people who have pitted the Hexa and it was the only one to pass the water beaker test against cars that cost 2.5 times as much and even then, on uneven surfaces.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=rHditEJ7FfM
I knew I would be disappointing a few Hexa owners and should have said it means no offense to anyone who has bought it. I'm simply sharing my experience and it's certainly because of the positive reviews here of the Hexa that I decided to give it another try. However I think you misread my post. I have said in no uncertain terms that the ride quality of Hexa is certainly better than my XUV from 2014. However my point was about people stating the ride quality of XUV being rubbish and unacceptable. If I can bring out a comparison from a different segment, it's like the difference between Nexon or an EcoSport vs the Duster or Captur. While the latter 2 lead the segment, the former two can't be rubbished as unacceptable. The gap between them is about 5-10% and that's what I felt is the gap between XUV and Hexa. For some that 5-10% may mean a lot and that's absolutely fine. However I probably went expecting too great an improvement over XUV and didn't find it. Have I test driven a car that smothers everything and trumps that of XUV by miles ? Yes I have - That's the Endeavor. If not for my limited risk taking right now financially, I would ideally be closing the deal in a Ford showroom right now. I was kind of expecting Endeavor ride quality in Hexa which I didn't find. I'm sure some would say Hexa rides better than the Endy. May be for them. However that's one statement I can't be convinced about. I have driven them both over the same tarmac twice. Can't go that much wrong in that. But no doubt Hexa is better than my XUV. The new 2018 version however bridges that gap significantly. You have to ride it to believe it. It's still not at Hexa level but it's almost 95-98% there.

Quote:
I'm really surprised you are saying this. The new XUV just has a leatherette cover on top of the hard plastics. To be truly honest, even the Maruti Esteem had a soft touch dash board and the DZire does not. I guess it is a manufacturer trend to reduce costs over time.

Also, we have an XCent at home, and calling the plastic quality similar is actually an insult to the Hexa- sincere apologies for putting it so bluntly. Anyone who understands even a bit about material science will concur. I believe the Vendor list for the Hexa would be a sufficient proof of it being a car that's not built with compromise in mind.
I'm saying what I saw. The choice of vendors alone can't be proof of quality. To give a perspective look at the construction quality of L&T for budget housing vs the premium ones. Same manufacturer very different results. I don't dismiss the Hexa plastics as bad but it's a surface that picks up scratches, oil marks, stains over time. Then that surface over time with exposure to sunlight etc loses the suppleness in the touch as on a new car. We don't have 2-3 years old Hexa's yet. So let it pass the test of time. At least the one on the XUV old gen looks pristine every after 4 years with once in 4-6 months of me cleaning the dashboard with 3M dashboard applicque. With the same treatment our test drive Hexa couldn't restore that look. I have never had that problem with the XUV. The only areas where XUV does have hard scratchy plastics is around the air vents next to the front doors. That doesn't have a wavy pattern. For that matter the old XUV's armrest on the doors didn't come with any padding. I'll suggest you see any old ones you can find and press that area. It feels like there is foam underneath that plastic. That's a feel that is satisfying. Thats however the same plastic as on the dash as well. Just with varying rigidity and thickness. Even that reflective glossy plastic on the center console is soft to touch.

Quote:
If you browse through the niggle section for your vehicle, you'd find many owners complaining about rattles. Rattles are not specific to any car- let's not make it so personal. If you have good ride quality, it helps since the interiors don't have to move so much.
No denying this. I think M&M solved most of their plastic quality issues and rattles issues by later 2013 & 2014 models. So I was expecting Tata to fix those gaps at launch last year probably with improvements in this year batch cars. I don't see many XUVs now a day's with rattling issues. But I would agree it has higher chances of rattling vs Hexa. That's why I had said attention to suspension in XUV is important. Anyone facing more harshness than before should get it inspected and get the struts tightened and get wheels re-torqued. They help a lot in both - easing out the ride and preventing rattles. Both Hexa and XUV can be kept rattle free if maintained properly. May be Hexa more easily than XUV as most people don't even ask the MASS about the harshness in ride and think it's normal and mostly don't get it fixed unless they have a proactive service engineer. However the loose fittings at many areas around the dash does pose longetivity questions. Our test drive car again had the plastic covers for the front seats snapped. The showroom people said it's a plastic latch which will be replaced and it will be back to shape. However this was the 3rd Hexa straight in a row with this issue.

Quote:
The size of the screen is definitely a genuine complaint. Ideally, they should have included a good tablet with all controls (AC, lights etc) because it saves costs and customers like to see a big screen while they are in the showroom. From the little experience that I have driving different cars (Nano to A Class), you'll stop caring about the size of the screen once the car is slightly old. For maps, most often, you'd prefer Google maps to other services (like Map My India) and since your phone is the most convenient device, that's what you'd choose. Still, a bigger screen would definitely get more bragging rights and that's something really crucial in India since buying a car is a social decision. It is not a personal one.
Again you have misread. I had made up my mind in ignoring the puny touchscreen. My concern was the poor quality of the camera in low light even with reversing lights on. Add to it the small display minus guidelines that doesn't help. And you are ight about the choice of maps. However if only that 5" screen had AA support, we could have seen the Google maps navigation right on that screen instead of mounting the phone on dash or windscreen. That was my point.

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm writing this while wearing a Bose QC25 headphone on a laptop that's equipped with a B&O driver. I have everything from a Sony MDR ZX110NA n to the Xiaomi Piston with me, and yet I'm wearing a non-bluetooth, alkaline cell powered Bose. In our XCent we have a sony with 4 speakers and in the Hexa, it is the 8 speaker system. In our Baleno we had a 4 speaker Kenwood system. Appreciating audio is a personal choice but I truly feel that premium brands command a premium for a reason. There might be a few who buy a Harman system because it looks cool but for the majority, it is about sound quality. Please raise the volume, conduct an audio test (plenty of apps available to examine the frequency response) and then report. To suggest that the Harman system is a joke is absolutely (and incredibly) false and you can post your results on this thread (if you care) to justify the statement you made.
I never said it's a joke. It's damn good. But it's over hyped. I spent enough time fiddling through audio settings and I found the mids overpowering primarily due to the central speaker and the lack of a more fuller soundstage. Also the issue of the bass being not punchy below volume level 10-12 was again quirky for me. Above 10-12 volume it gets louder as well with the bass punch but sometimes you miss a fuller soundstage at lower volumes. Depending on where you are seated in the Hexa you are exposed to different sounds in a track. The soundstage for me was a bit awkward. And yes I'm a Bose user and fan too, along with Onkyo and Yamahas. I think it's more of a tuning issue of Harman unit vs the speaker hardware itself.

Quote:
I'll request you again to download an App called Soundmeter on Android and report your results. I can request my parents to report theirs under the conditions you specified. I really believe that blower noise should not interrupt a conversation (they are at completely different frequencies) but still it would be a pleasure to respond to your blind test.
I think there are enough evidences if the same experienced by many users when I searched for it on the net including on Team BHP. I don't think so many scientific tests are needed. Again it was me and my family's perception.

Quote:
As I said earlier, XUV is a good product. It is a decent car. But I'm really surprised at your comments about the Nexon. The Hexa and Nexon are in different segments and it is better we compare apples to apples. Thanks.
I simply brought up the point that the interiors of Nexon look more modern, refined, ergonomic and premium vs the Hexa, especially the dashboard. A Hexa with Nexon interior would make it an irresistible package. That much lower segment product also has Android Auto support. So it's much feature packed and with a much modern layout as per the current times. That of Hexa looks out of it's time.

Thanks for your comments. Again my response is not to belittle the purchase of Hexa. I just couldn't find it an upgrade for my XUV. Hopefully the new line up of H5X and H7X will change that. And if it does then it confirms the fact that the setup in Hexa wasn't the one to stick with for a long time.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 10:33   #4043
BHPian

Would like to make the following points:-
1. No matter how much time people say they spent in tuning the audio, everything is meaningless if you do not set the balance two points behind the driver. The dashboard speaker is quite loud and this setting gives you the perfect surround feel. Unless this is done, no matter what kind of an audiophile you call yourself and changes you do, you will still feel the bass to be low and audio coming from the front. We figured this out the very first time we played during a demo and i thought it was rather obvious!

2. Though i posted in the XUV thread, let me post it here again: we did test drive the XUV and trust me, the ride quality is no way just 5 to 10% different. Right from the brakes to steering feel and feed back, clutch, visibility and the bumps seeping in, there seem to be very little difference between this model and the old.

3. There's no argument when it comes to seats and interior quality of materials. Dashboard polish is NOT recommended for Hexa as it makes the dashboard look weird and the material looks decades old when the polish evaporates, just as many folks observed. All you need to do is use a wet cloth to clean off any stains. Else, just dusting it would suffice. The cabin gives out a much more premium feel than the decade old layout of the XUV. I wish they did something more than just change the material.

All the above are my personal observations after driving Hexa for a year and test driving the new XUV.

When it comes to selecting between this and XUV, it all boils down to what kind of a buyer you are.
If you value features, bells and whistles more, then XUV is definitely the car for you. Its got a peppy engine as well!
But if you value the fundamentals of a car like its driving experience, the way it carries itself and how you feel sitting in the cabin irrespective of driving on or off tarmac, its the Hexa.

Heck, its got a way more capable 4X4 variant!

"XUV is similar to a young enthusiastic kid: showing off what it is through its loud looks and ever eager with its new engine and features.
Hexa however is like that calm gangster guy smoking a cigar: knowing what it actually is with those gentle exterior strokes that give it a bold butch look but not too loud, an engine that is refined and mated spectacularly with the gearbox and suspension. "
Hope this picturisation will help, lol! I read it in this very thread posted by one other member and typed it here as best as my memory serves!

And that is why i bought it and honestly, i do feel that features should have been included at this price. But then again, that TD of the new model has made me happier for not waiting for its launch and buying Hexa.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 30th April 2018 at 10:36.
abhi7013 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 11:41   #4044
BANNED

Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of reviewers saying that the Hexa engine over time becomes a lot louder and unrefined vs when it is initially bought. Everyone says the Varicore engine is less refined vs the mHawk on XUV and is showing it's age. It's a tough choice that way. It may be reliable doing duty for long but it's it worthwhile to invest in an engine in it's last leg (as the newer vehicles from Tata will have the FCA motor) ?
From the thread I understand that you have decided against the Hexa but let me chip in with my thoughts after owning an Aria for the last 5 years and 70K kms. The engine and performance is as good as it was when I took delivery. Absolutely loving the experience with ZERO unscheduled visits to the service center.

What most of the reviewers tell is that the VARICOR becomes audible as the revs build up. This is because the engine is rather old school with a max engine speed of around 4500 rpm as compared to some other engines that are free revving to upto 5500 rpm. Anyone who understands engine characteristics will know the 'sweet spot' and do up-shifts accordingly as it is pointless to just pile on the revs where there is no torque available.

The V400 has a peak torque from 1750-2500 rpm which is a reasonable band but what is not shown or mentioned anywhere is that more than 80% of the torque is available from as low as 1500 rpm till 3000 rpm. Flat torque curve = good drive-ability be it the city or highway.

Coming to the conspicuous absence of ESP and TCS in the auto variants - owe it to compatibility issues or whatever, it is a blunder. The sooner Tata realize that the market is now much more safety conscious which in turn is affecting their sales numbers, the better it is for them. Else it is very likely that it will follow the Aria way eventually.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 17:21   #4045
BHPian

Hi Friends, I took my Hexa XMA in the hills for the first time. The route covered was, Delhi -> Haridwar -> Chamba - > Tehri Dam - > Dhanaulti - > Mussoori - > Paunta Sahib - > Karnal - > Delhi.

Hexa performed really well, at no point I felt it was out of control whether on highways or hills. It managed the uphill / downhills quite well. The uphill from Dhanaulti to Mussoorie and narrow roads in Mussoorie was a real test for me as well, as I was driving such a big vehicle through those narrow stretches for the first time.

The overall experience was superb; at no point I felt that I was driving such a huge car or there is a lack of power. I did use sports mode a couple of times to manage those tricky overtakes, otherwise the normal D mode is more than enough.
FirstRay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 19:08   #4046
BHPian

Quote:
I knew I would be disappointing a few Hexa owners and should have said it means no offense to anyone who has bought it.

I never said it's a joke. It's damn good. But it's over hyped. I spent enough time fiddling through audio settings and I found the mids overpowering primarily due to the central speaker and the lack of a more fuller soundstage. Also the issue of the bass being not punchy below volume level 10-12 was again quirky for me. Above 10-12 volume it gets louder as well with the bass punch but sometimes you miss a fuller soundstage at lower volumes. Depending on where you are seated in the Hexa you are exposed to different sounds in a track. The soundstage for me was a bit awkward. And yes I'm a Bose user and fan too, along with Onkyo and Yamahas. I think it's more of a tuning issue of Harman unit vs the speaker hardware itself.

I think there are enough evidences if the same experienced by many users when I searched for it on the net including on Team BHP. I don't think so many scientific tests are needed. Again it was me and my family's perception.
To be honest, I don't own a Hexa (my parents do). Why would I take offense when members share their experience with the product? In fact, if there is anyone at TML remotely interested in improving the customer experience, they should read what you have to say and ensure that the dealer changes the speaker setting (Fade settings for the front speakers), keeps the car in ship-shape condition and ensure that the dealership folks know how to convey how good the plastics, seat covers and other components are when compared to the competition You did mention something about vendors having different qualities for different product categories. Rest assured that a company that supplies transmissions (in fact the same model) to the BMW X3 and Cadillac products won't do injustice to Indian buyers just because some people (mostly Indians, unfortunately) feel that Tata is not an "aspirational brand" .

The only reason I like the Hexa more than the XUV is because it is mature. It appeals more to people who're into things that are capable yet understated. Even the new TVC for the XUV (that was posted on the XUV thread) reflects the difference in the customer preferences. The XUV shows a man rescuing a woman from a band of pirates while the Hexa TVC is about challenging yourself and the slogan is whatever it takes. It is rare for a customer who likes the XUV to show an interest for the Hexa (or the more mature, understated SUVs in the market), thank you for doing so.

If you have a dealership of Isuzu near you, you could explore the MU-X. The fit-finish levels are far better than the Fortuner (the Innova should not be compared, it is extraordinarily ordinary) and the vehicle is almost completely assembled from Japanese components, so it should last quite long.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 1st May 2018 at 19:20. Reason: Fixed quote.
Nissan1180 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:11   #4047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
not rectifying the infamous 'gargle sound' despite the engine being ages old,
This issue continues to persist. I had the opportunity to drive a friend's Hexa which is just a month old and I heard the gargle noise multiple times. It sounds very strange and I'm not sure if I would be able to ignore it if I owned the vehicle.

The Hexa is a very competent product overall but this is a problem. The service center's response is that there isn't a fix in place yet. I noticed that a few people on this thread have faced the same issue. Has anyone got it addressed?
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:42   #4048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The Hexa is a very competent product overall but this is a problem. The service center's response is that there isn't a fix in place yet. I noticed that a few people on this thread have faced the same issue. Has anyone got it addressed?
There were ECU updates which arrested the sound to a certain extent but not completely. Pick up too was increased with lesser lag. Most of us do hear the gargle. In my case I've completely forgotten about it being there as you get used to it with time. It's not something that hinders performance or is so loud that it's noticeable every time.
That being said, i don't think there could be anything done about it. If it were, TATA would have come up with a fix by now.
Most of us have come to understand it as a 'feature' of the engine and just drive along! Nevertheless, its a flaw that is there but doesn't effect driving or performance.
But as you said, new drivers will definitely notice and wonder what it is.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 12:11   #4049
BHPian

My Hexa is two months old and completed 4000 kms. The engine gargle reduced a lot on its own. Sharing my observations on engine gargle so far,
  1. Initially it was there consistently for at least first 2500 kms.
  2. Gradually, it reduced its own and was there only when there was a sudden pressure on the accelerator and I felt like auto gearbox trying to cope up with the sudden increase in acceleration.
  3. Now it is there during morning drives, when I take my car out after a night's rest. It is totally absent when I drive back home from my office.
  4. I did not experience it during my recent long drive.

But frankly, I had started liking it and never found it something annoying during driving.
Old 3rd May 2018, 12:50   #4050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRay View Post

But frankly, I had started liking it and never found it something annoying during driving.
Exactly what i wanted to say! Without consciously realising it, i guess i have begun to like the sound as it's similar to a turbo flutter and folks go out of their way in making that sound come in many cases!
It doesn't obviously sound exactly like a full on flutter, but you definitely can make it more audible if you have gotten the knack of controlling it with the A-pedal!
I'd say its more of an engine characteristic than a flaw.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks